USB 1.1 with USB 2.0

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by eveversion4, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. eveversion4

    eveversion4 Guest

    I know this question has probably been asked before but I can't find the
    answer I'm looking for. My old Dell Dimension 4100 has USB ports on the
    back that I know for a fact are USB 1.1 compliant. I am aware that USB
    1.1 peripheral devices do not use the higher speeds of the USB 2.0
    standard when they are plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

    My question is what happens when you put a USB 2.0 PCI card into pc that
    already has USB ports running at the 1.1 standard?

    I'm curious to know because I'm getting a USB new printer for Christmas
    and I'm all out of open USB ports and I've been thinking about buying a
    USB PCI card to make up for this.

    Probably going to need a bigger power supply too...

    eve

    **************************
    Remove _DONTSENDMECRAP_ to send email to me. Thanks!!
    eveversion4, Nov 12, 2003

  2. eveversion4

    eveversion4 Guest

    JBS wrote:
    > It shouldn't be a problem. Your add on card will run at USB 2.0 speeds.
    > The onboard ports won't affect it. My motherboard has 2 USB 1.1 ports and 2
    > USB 2.0 ports. I also have an Adaptec PCI card that adds 3 USB 2.0 ports
    > and 2 IEEE 1394 ports. It all works great--no conflicts. I have a 430 watt
    > power supply so this hasn't been an issue.

    Thanks for you help. I kinda figured you could run both with no
    problems. I am using Windows 2000 Pro Service Pack 4, so I don't think
    that would be a problem either. But, I might consider getting a adapter
    PCI card with USB 2.0 and 1394 just to have all the connections for
    future expansion.

    eve

    --
    **************************
    Remove _DONTSENDMECRAP_ to send email to me. Thanks!!
    eveversion4, Nov 13, 2003

  3. eveversion4

    eveversion4 Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > The existing ports will remain USB 1.1 and the added ports on the PCI
    > USB 2.0 expansion card will be USB 2.0, providing that you have a USB 2
    > compatible OS and that you properly install the drivers.
    >
    > There's no reason that you should need a bigger power supply unless
    > there are factors that you didn't mention. The total draw from the USB
    > 2.0 card will probably be no more than about 10 watts.
    >
    > Many USB printers will not work through a hub, so keep that in mind.

    Thanks for the information. I'm totatlly not into the hub thing anyways
    because I don't have the room on my computer desk and I know too many
    people who've fried their mobo when they overloaded their USB hub. I was
    a little concerned about power because I only have a 250 watt power
    supply; I will have to check the hardware requirements when chosing an
    adapter card.

    Thanks again,

    eve

    eveversion4, Nov 13, 2003