    front inputs. Is this possible and where do I buy the replacement
    inputs?

    , Feb 11, 2004

  2. Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:45:53 -0500, wrote:

    >I have 2 RX series desktops with front USB 1.1 inputs and I would like
    >to replace the 1.1s with 2.0 inputs so I can still use the front
    >inputs but with the higher transfer rate. My newest Sony has 2.0
    >front inputs. Is this possible

    Sure.

    >and where do I buy the replacement
    >inputs?

    Almost any retail computer store. Or...

    www.pricewatch.com

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:27:33 -0500, Trent© <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:45:53 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>I have 2 RX series desktops with front USB 1.1 inputs and I would like
    >>to replace the 1.1s with 2.0 inputs so I can still use the front
    >>inputs but with the higher transfer rate. My newest Sony has 2.0
    >>front inputs. Is this possible

    >Sure.
    >
    >>and where do I buy the replacement
    >>inputs?
    >>

    >Almost any retail computer store. Or...
    >

    >www.pricewatch.com
    >

    >Have a nice week...
    >
    >Trent
    >
    >Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

    Thanks for the response. I checked that site but did not see
    anything. These ports are in the front of the computer. I have not
    opened the box to see the exact configuration so I am assuming it is a
    proprietary design since I am dealing with a Sony. The ports are
    vertically aligned unlike the PCI card configuration and they are
    combined with a mini-firewire input...

    , Feb 12, 2004
  4. Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:45:36 -0500, wrote:

    >Thanks for the response. I checked that site but did not see
    >anything. These ports are in the front of the computer. I have not
    >opened the box to see the exact configuration so I am assuming it is a
    >proprietary design since I am dealing with a Sony. The ports are
    >vertically aligned unlike the PCI card configuration and they are
    >combined with a mini-firewire input...

    Simply get a 6-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The card will have 2 ports on
    the back...and space on the card for 4 other USB connections.

    Just unplug the front connections from wherever they are connected
    now...and plug them into the new card. You don't need to change
    anything in the front of the case.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:37:10 -0500, Trent© <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:45:36 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks for the response. I checked that site but did not see
    >>anything. These ports are in the front of the computer. I have not
    >>opened the box to see the exact configuration so I am assuming it is a
    >>proprietary design since I am dealing with a Sony. The ports are
    >>vertically aligned unlike the PCI card configuration and they are
    >>combined with a mini-firewire input...

    >Simply get a 6-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The card will have 2 ports on
    >the back...and space on the card for 4 other USB connections.
    >
    >Just unplug the front connections from wherever they are connected
    >now...and plug them into the new card. You don't need to change
    >anything in the front of the case.
    >

    >Have a nice week...
    >
    >Trent
    >
    >Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

    Thanks. I am having a difficult time envisioning this as I read your
    message. Maybe once I open the case and look at the physical layout
    it will make sense.

    , Feb 12, 2004
  6. Thor Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:37:10 -0500, Trent© <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:45:36 -0500, wrote:
    > >
    > >>Thanks for the response. I checked that site but did not see
    > >>anything. These ports are in the front of the computer. I have not
    > >>opened the box to see the exact configuration so I am assuming it is a
    > >>proprietary design since I am dealing with a Sony. The ports are
    > >>vertically aligned unlike the PCI card configuration and they are
    > >>combined with a mini-firewire input...

    > >Simply get a 6-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The card will have 2 ports on
    > >the back...and space on the card for 4 other USB connections.
    > >
    > >Just unplug the front connections from wherever they are connected
    > >now...and plug them into the new card. You don't need to change
    > >anything in the front of the case.
    > >

    > >Have a nice week...
    > >
    > >Trent
    > >
    > >Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

    > Thanks. I am having a difficult time envisioning this as I read your
    > message. Maybe once I open the case and look at the physical layout
    > it will make sense.

    He is referring to unplugging the factory internal cable that runs from the
    motherboard to the front USB connections, and plug the cable into the
    internal header of a USB 2.0 controller card with front panel outputs. It's
    a possibility, but sometimes it's not so simple. Big brand manufatcurers
    sometimes use unusual internal connectors or wiring patterns for the front
    USB jacks that don't necessarily match a 3rd party controller card's pinout
    pattern, and vice-versa. It might be easier to just buy a USB controller
    card that comes with it's own set of jacks pre-mounted in a drive bay cover.
    This would provide front USB 2.0 access in addition to the existing factory
    USB 1.1 connections already present. IOGear makes one. It has two rear ports
    on the card, and 3 front ports pre-mounted in a 3.5" bay bracket. I have one
    of these. Damn nice.

    Thor, Feb 13, 2004
  7. Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:30:14 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:37:10 -0500, Trent© <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >Simply get a 6-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The card will have 2 ports on
    >> >the back...and space on the card for 4 other USB connections.
    >> >
    >> >Just unplug the front connections from wherever they are connected
    >> >now...and plug them into the new card. You don't need to change
    >> >anything in the front of the case.
    >> >

    >> >Have a nice week...
    >> >
    >> >Trent
    >> >
    >> >Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

    >> Thanks. I am having a difficult time envisioning this as I read your
    >> message. Maybe once I open the case and look at the physical layout
    >> it will make sense.

    >He is referring to unplugging the factory internal cable that runs from the
    >motherboard to the front USB connections, and plug the cable into the
    >internal header of a USB 2.0 controller card with front panel outputs. It's
    >a possibility, but sometimes it's not so simple. Big brand manufatcurers
    >sometimes use unusual internal connectors or wiring patterns for the front
    >USB jacks that don't necessarily match a 3rd party controller card's pinout
    >pattern, and vice-versa. It might be easier to just buy a USB controller
    >card that comes with it's own set of jacks pre-mounted in a drive bay cover.
    >This would provide front USB 2.0 access in addition to the existing factory
    >USB 1.1 connections already present. IOGear makes one. It has two rear ports
    >on the card, and 3 front ports pre-mounted in a 3.5" bay bracket. I have one
    >of these. Damn nice.

    Thanks. I'll check that out.

    , Feb 13, 2004
  8. Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:30:14 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >He is referring to unplugging the factory internal cable that runs from the
    >motherboard to the front USB connections, and plug the cable into the
    >internal header of a USB 2.0 controller card with front panel outputs. It's
    >a possibility, but sometimes it's not so simple. Big brand manufatcurers
    >sometimes use unusual internal connectors or wiring patterns for the front
    >USB jacks that don't necessarily match a 3rd party controller card's pinout
    >pattern, and vice-versa. It might be easier to just buy a USB controller
    >card that comes with it's own set of jacks pre-mounted in a drive bay cover.
    >This would provide front USB 2.0 access in addition to the existing factory
    >USB 1.1 connections already present. IOGear makes one. It has two rear ports
    >on the card, and 3 front ports pre-mounted in a 3.5" bay bracket. I have one
    >of these. Damn nice.

    Exactly what I had in mind...'cause I've never seen a PCI card with 4
    internal ports that didn't also come with the tray.

    The ones I use have 4 port on the tray...and 2 in the back.

    Thanks for the input, Thor.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 13, 2004
  9. Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:30:14 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:37:10 -0500, Trent© <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >Simply get a 6-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The card will have 2 ports on
    >> >the back...and space on the card for 4 other USB connections.
    >> >
    >> >Just unplug the front connections from wherever they are connected
    >> >now...and plug them into the new card. You don't need to change
    >> >anything in the front of the case.
    >> >

    >> >Have a nice week...
    >> >
    >> >Trent
    >> >
    >> >Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

    >> Thanks. I am having a difficult time envisioning this as I read your
    >> message. Maybe once I open the case and look at the physical layout
    >> it will make sense.

    >He is referring to unplugging the factory internal cable that runs from the
    >motherboard to the front USB connections, and plug the cable into the
    >internal header of a USB 2.0 controller card with front panel outputs. It's
    >a possibility, but sometimes it's not so simple. Big brand manufatcurers
    >sometimes use unusual internal connectors or wiring patterns for the front
    >USB jacks that don't necessarily match a 3rd party controller card's pinout
    >pattern, and vice-versa. It might be easier to just buy a USB controller
    >card that comes with it's own set of jacks pre-mounted in a drive bay cover.
    >This would provide front USB 2.0 access in addition to the existing factory
    >USB 1.1 connections already present. IOGear makes one. It has two rear ports
    >on the card, and 3 front ports pre-mounted in a 3.5" bay bracket. I have one
    >of these. Damn nice.

    Thanks fro the info. I went to the site and looked but did not see
    what I thought you were describing. I was wondering if you could post
    a link or a part description.

    Thanks

    , Feb 13, 2004
  10. Thor Guest

    Thor, Feb 14, 2004
  11. Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:24:39 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >> Thanks fro the info. I went to the site and looked but did not see
    >> what I thought you were describing. I was wondering if you could post
    >> a link or a part description.

    >http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GUH203C

    Thanks. I missed that. Am I going to have to give up my floppy for
    this? My other 2 drive bays are taken up with optical drives. If so,
    I can just get an external USB floppy or use my thumb drive.

    , Feb 14, 2004
  12. Thor Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:24:39 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:
    >

    > >> Thanks fro the info. I went to the site and looked but did not see
    > >> what I thought you were describing. I was wondering if you could post
    > >> a link or a part description.

    > >http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GUH203C
    > >

    > Thanks. I missed that. Am I going to have to give up my floppy for
    > this? My other 2 drive bays are taken up with optical drives. If so,
    > I can just get an external USB floppy or use my thumb drive.

    Depends. If you have an empty external 3.5" bay above or below your floppy
    drive, then no. If your case only provides one 3.5" external bay, then
    you'll either have to use a 5.25" bay, or move something external as you
    suggested. The USB port comes in a 5.25" adpater that can be removed and it
    leaves a 3.5" panel. So take your pick. Sounds like you may have a fairly
    small and restrictive case.

    Thor, Feb 14, 2004
  13. Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:27:47 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message

    >> >http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GUH203C
    >> >

    >> Thanks. I missed that. Am I going to have to give up my floppy for
    >> this? My other 2 drive bays are taken up with optical drives. If so,
    >> I can just get an external USB floppy or use my thumb drive.

    >Depends. If you have an empty external 3.5" bay above or below your floppy
    >drive, then no. If your case only provides one 3.5" external bay, then
    >you'll either have to use a 5.25" bay, or move something external as you
    >suggested. The USB port comes in a 5.25" adpater that can be removed and it
    >leaves a 3.5" panel. So take your pick. Sounds like you may have a fairly
    >small and restrictive case.

    Yes, I only have 2 5 1/2s and 1 3.5. I think I'll just dump the floppy
    and get an external one. I think they have bus powered floppy drives
    don't they?

    Thanks again

    , Feb 15, 2004
  14. Thor Guest

    > >Depends. If you have an empty external 3.5" bay above or below your

    floppy
    > >drive, then no. If your case only provides one 3.5" external bay, then
    > >you'll either have to use a 5.25" bay, or move something external as you
    > >suggested. The USB port comes in a 5.25" adpater that can be removed and

    it
    > >leaves a 3.5" panel. So take your pick. Sounds like you may have a fairly
    > >small and restrictive case.
    > >

    > Yes, I only have 2 5 1/2s and 1 3.5. I think I'll just dump the floppy
    > and get an external one. I think they have bus powered floppy drives
    > don't they?

    yes, I believe so.

    Thor, Feb 15, 2004
  15. Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 07:52:19 -0500, wrote:

    >Yes, I only have 2 5 1/2s and 1 3.5. I think I'll just dump the floppy
    >and get an external one. I think they have bus powered floppy drives
    >don't they?

    Make sure you can boot to USB...or the floppy drive will be pretty
    much useless.

    Personally, I'd try to get rid of one of the optical drives. There's
    a lot of combo drives out there now.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 16, 2004