    their serial number. They were supplied with or for the Nikon D800 and
    D7000 SLR cameras.

    Mort Linder
    Mort, Jul 12, 2012

  2. Mort

    Me Guest

    On 12/07/2012 1:04 p.m., Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-07-11 16:11:17 -0700, Mort <> said:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just got a bulletin from a USA government agency that Nikon EN-El 15
    >> lithium ion batteries have been recalled due to a fire hazard. The
    >> batches that are bad have the letter E or F as the ninth character in
    >> their serial number. They were supplied with or for the Nikon D800 and
    >> D7000 SLR cameras.
    >>
    >> Mort Linder

    > I would first ask; Which USA government agency sent you a bulletin?
    > It seems unusual that a government agency should make such and
    > announcement. Stick with what NikonUSA has to say.
    >
    > Nikon has provided the following information:
    > <
    > http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And.../EN-EL15-Battery-Recall-Service-Advisory.html
    >

    > This indicates that there have only been 7 incidents reported of a
    > potential short circuit causing an overheated condition which results in
    > a warped outed casing.
    >
    > For those folks with affected batteries the recall process reasonable
    > and quick.
    >
    > As for me, my D300s and its EN-EL4a are chugging along just fine.

    In an MB-D10, or do you mean EN-EL3E?

    Nikon issued a recall on the battery that came with my D70 - blimmen
    years ago. I got them to replace it long after they first issued the
    recall notice, and they replaced the ENEL3"A" with an ENEL3E, which was
    kind of handy. Both ENEL3E's I have still report "new" charging life
    after about 5 years use (but I'm not a machine-gunner, I've only taken
    about 25,000 shots / 5000 per year)

    I had an issue with an aftermarket battery in the D70. Was getting
    random occasional corrupt raw files written to the card when used in
    burst mode, I assumed it was a card issue, bought new expensive sandisk
    cards, but still got the problem.
    I seldom used the inbuilt flash, but one day did when I had the
    aftermarket battery fitted, and almost every raw file written was
    corrupt, change battery over to the OEM one I had, and the problem was gone.
    I assume that the aftermarket battery couldn't sustain the current draw,
    and there was enough voltage drop when used in burst mode or when the
    flash was recharging as the files were being written from the buffer to
    cause the problems, but there was still enough to recycle the flash in
    reasonable time, and the battery level indicator on the lcd still showed
    it as good.
    That experience has put me off aftermarket batteries.
    Me, Jul 12, 2012

  3. Mort

    Mort Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    > Which USA government agency sent you a bulletin?

    There is a government agency that lists recalls of all sorts that
    involve safety, such as burning batteries, baby swings that trap
    heads, etc.. You can sign up for the bulletins. I'm on my other computer
    now, so don't have the agency name, but it is something like C.P.S. or
    C.P.C.???

    Mort
    Mort, Jul 15, 2012