    I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will it
    work in England ?

    Andy
    andrew.upton4, Jun 19, 2005

  2. andrew.upton4

    Biz Guest

    Doubtful...

    Biz, Jun 19, 2005

  3. andrew.upton4

    Alpha Guest

    No.

    Alpha, Jun 19, 2005
  4. andrew.upton4

    Mark Jones Guest

    > Hi Group.
    > I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will

    it
    > work in England ?

    Wrong frame rate. Line voltage and frequency are also
    likely to be incompatible.
    Mark Jones, Jun 20, 2005
  5. andrew.upton4

    docdude316 Guest

    andrew.upton4 wrote:
    > Hi Group.
    > I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will it
    > work in England ?
    >
    > Andy

    Some Televisions are capable of displaying both PAL and NTSC, but they
    are few and far between. My suggestion is to check with the
    manufacturer. Maybe you can get a replacement or something directly from
    them.
    docdude316, Jun 20, 2005
  6. I was doubtful about it myself.
    I just thought I'd get some other opinions !

    andrew.upton4, Jun 20, 2005
  7. andrew.upton4

    3W Guest

    > Hi Group.
    > I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will

    it
    > work in England ?

    Everyone seems to say no, but considering the new digital TVs (including
    plasmas) can take a variety of resolutions (due to HD), I wouldn't be
    surprised if it'd work.
    3W, Jun 21, 2005
  8. andrew.upton4

    Alpha Guest

    "3W" <> wrote in message
    > "andrew.upton4" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Group.
    >> I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will

    > it
    >> work in England ?

    > Everyone seems to say no, but considering the new digital TVs (including
    > plasmas) can take a variety of resolutions (due to HD), I wouldn't be
    > surprised if it'd work.

    If the plasma has no tuner and no connection thereof, yes, you might be
    right.
    Alpha, Jun 21, 2005
  9. andrew.upton4

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message

    > "3W" <> wrote in message
    > > Everyone seems to say no, but considering the new digital TVs (including
    > > plasmas) can take a variety of resolutions (due to HD), I wouldn't be
    > > surprised if it'd work.
    > >

    > If the plasma has no tuner and no connection thereof, yes, you might be
    > right.

    In that case, it is no longer a TV. It is a monitor.
    Mark Jones, Jun 21, 2005
  10. andrew.upton4

    Biz Guest

    "3W" <> wrote in message
    > "andrew.upton4" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi Group.
    > > I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will

    > it
    > > work in England ?

    > Everyone seems to say no, but considering the new digital TVs (including
    > plasmas) can take a variety of resolutions (due to HD), I wouldn't be
    > surprised if it'd work.

    The tv may work from a resolution standpoint, but the it almost assuredly
    will not work due to power differences. Most TV's sold in NA are not
    compatible with European power standards...
    Biz, Jun 21, 2005
  11. andrew.upton4

    Baron Sloan Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > The tv may work from a resolution standpoint, but the it almost

    assuredly
    > will not work due to power differences. Most TV's sold in NA are

    not
    > compatible with European power standards...

    I've had an American multiregion Pioneer DVD player working happily
    for several years, and it was actually bought in the UK as an imported
    model. All you need is a transformer to convert from 240v to 120v.

    Don't forget that all the SD plasma panels that are sold in the UK
    were designed for the American market anyway, as they are 480
    horizontal lines (NTSC), how many 576 line (PAL) plasmas do you see
    for sale in the UK?

    IMHO the only problems would be if the TV can accept a PAL signal (and
    most are multiformat nowadays), and the voltage issue which is easy to
    resolve.
    Baron Sloan, Jun 21, 2005