USA DOD bars use of HTML e-mail, Outlook Web Access

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 25, 2006.

  1. http://www.fcw.com/article97178-12-22-06-Web

    "" Due to an increased network threat condition, the Defense Department is
    blocking all HTML-based e-mail messages and has banned the use of Outlook
    Web Access e-mail ""

    Why people insist on using markup in ordinary everyday email I really
    don't know - email is a plain text medium.

    Why the USA's DOD continues to use Micro$oft's software is simply insane
    - they have already suffered some of the consequences of using M$ Windows
    & MS Office earlier this year!

    Banning markup in emails is surely only a token step towards network
    security. At least it is a move in the right direction.

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    --
    MS Windows Vista - broken by design
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt
    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 25, 2006

  2. Aquilegia Alyssum

    Phil Guest

    Aquilegia Alyssum wrote, On 25/12/06 3.20 p:
    > Why the USA's DOD continues to use Micro$oft's software is simply insane
    > - they have already suffered some of the consequences of using M$ Windows
    > & MS Office earlier this year!

    What's the non-Microsoft equivalent of Exchange?

    -Phil
    Phil, Dec 25, 2006

  3. On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 02:43:53 +1300, Phil wrote:

    >> Why the USA's DOD continues to use Micro$oft's software is simply insane
    >> - they have already suffered some of the consequences of using M$ Windows
    >> & MS Office earlier this year!

    > What's the non-Microsoft equivalent of Exchange?

    Open Exchange.

    Still under development. :eek:)

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 25, 2006
  4. Aquilegia Alyssum

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-12-25, Phil <> wrote:
    > Aquilegia Alyssum wrote, On 25/12/06 3.20 p:
    >> Why the USA's DOD continues to use Micro$oft's software is simply insane
    >> - they have already suffered some of the consequences of using M$ Windows
    >> & MS Office earlier this year!

    > What's the non-Microsoft equivalent of Exchange?

    Scalix
    Open Xchange
    Bynari Insight
    Zimbra