    just trying to commit copyright infringement. Such willful attempts at
    piracy, even if they fail, could be punished by up to 10 years in prison. ""

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 24, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Peter Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > http://news.com.com/2102-1028_3-6064016.html?tag=st.util.print
    > "" The 24-page bill is a far-reaching medley of different proposals
    > cobbled together. One would, for instance, create a new federal crime of
    > just trying to commit copyright infringement. Such willful attempts at
    > piracy, even if they fail, could be punished by up to 10 years in prison.
    > ""

    Just as well Shakespeare got all his work done before these laws were
    effective. Just like all great artists, he built on the works of others.
    Issac Newton, who saw further because he stood on the shoulders of giants.
    Ditto, Albert Einstein who says his theory of relativity was built on
    Maxwell's field equations. Ditto for the great composers, et al.

    Bringing these draconian copyright and patent laws in is very good for the
    big corporations and their lawyers. It keeps out new competitors,
    innovations and other factors that might erode revenue streams. Of course,
    it is just a coincidence that these corporates and lawyers are among the
    top funders of US political parties.

    They may stop innovation and artistic flair in USA (and subsidiary countries
    like UK and Aust), which will be good news for the developing world, who
    can then overtake them in terms of technical and cultural progress (and
    standards of living).

    The question is which path will NZ take?

    Peter

    Peter, Apr 24, 2006

  3. On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:12:16 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > The question is which path will NZ take?

    So far we haven't followed the USA like Australia did.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 24, 2006
  4. On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:12:16 +1200, someone purporting to be Peter didst
    scrawl:

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    *SNIP*
    > They may stop innovation and artistic flair in USA (and subsidiary countries
    > like UK and Aust), which will be good news for the developing world, who
    > can then overtake them in terms of technical and cultural progress (and
    > standards of living).
    >
    > The question is which path will NZ take?

    Why do you think I'm so absolutely anti any FTA with the US? Because such
    an agreement will undoubtedly come with hooks relating to "aligning"
    copyright law.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Apr 24, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Philip Guest

    Re: USA Congress readies new digital copyright bill that extendsDMCA

    Peter wrote:
    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >> http://news.com.com/2102-1028_3-6064016.html?tag=st.util.print
    >> "" The 24-page bill is a far-reaching medley of different proposals
    >> cobbled together. One would, for instance, create a new federal crime of
    >> just trying to commit copyright infringement. Such willful attempts at
    >> piracy, even if they fail, could be punished by up to 10 years in prison.
    >> ""

    > Just as well Shakespeare got all his work done before these laws were
    > effective. Just like all great artists, he built on the works of others.
    > Issac Newton, who saw further because he stood on the shoulders of giants.
    > Ditto, Albert Einstein who says his theory of relativity was built on
    > Maxwell's field equations. Ditto for the great composers, et al.
    >
    > Bringing these draconian copyright and patent laws in is very good for the
    > big corporations and their lawyers. It keeps out new competitors,
    > innovations and other factors that might erode revenue streams. Of course,
    > it is just a coincidence that these corporates and lawyers are among the
    > top funders of US political parties.
    >
    > They may stop innovation and artistic flair in USA (and subsidiary countries
    > like UK and Aust), which will be good news for the developing world, who
    > can then overtake them in terms of technical and cultural progress (and
    > standards of living).
    >
    > The question is which path will NZ take?

    So long as we don't fall for the blandishments of a "free trade"
    agreement with the USA, we are free to follow whatever path we choose. I
    hope we stay that way. Fortunately, the Americans seem unlikely to be
    interested in such an agreement for quite different reasons.

    Philip

    Philip, Apr 24, 2006
  6. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Bettê Noir Guest

    On , , Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:12:16 +1200, Re: USA Congress readies
    <> wrote:

    >Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >> http://news.com.com/2102-1028_3-6064016.html?tag=st.util.print
    >> "" The 24-page bill is a far-reaching medley of different proposals
    >> cobbled together. One would, for instance, create a new federal crime of
    >> just trying to commit copyright infringement. Such willful attempts at
    >> piracy, even if they fail, could be punished by up to 10 years in prison.
    >> ""

    >Just as well Shakespeare got all his work done before these laws were
    >effective. Just like all great artists, he built on the works of others.
    >Issac Newton, who saw further because he stood on the shoulders of giants.
    >Ditto, Albert Einstein who says his theory of relativity was built on
    >Maxwell's field equations. Ditto for the great composers, et al.
    >
    >Bringing these draconian copyright and patent laws in is very good for the
    >big corporations and their lawyers. It keeps out new competitors,
    >innovations and other factors that might erode revenue streams. Of course,
    >it is just a coincidence that these corporates and lawyers are among the
    >top funders of US political parties.
    >
    >They may stop innovation and artistic flair

    Genuine innovative artists don't need to steal others work.
    in USA (and subsidiary countries

    ---

    Bettê Noir, May 1, 2006
  7. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jo Guest

    "Bettê Noir" <> wrote in message

    > Genuine innovative artists don't need to steal others work.
    > in USA (and subsidiary countries
    >
    > ---

    what about improving on?

    Jo, May 1, 2006