US 'World Genius' Touts 6.8GHz 'Quantum-Optical' CPU

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Imhotep, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Imhotep, Sep 7, 2005

  2. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    Jim Watt, Sep 8, 2005

  3. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 16:01:09 -0400, Imhotep <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Not sure if this guy is full of it or not, but if he is telling the truth,
    >>WOW!
    >>
    >>http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=11784

    > does it have security problems?
    >
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    PCs have a ceiling with regard to speed. Loosely stated, the PC architecture
    must change to a different platform soon. There are too many limitations
    with the current system. For example, excessive heat, attenuation (as
    systems get smaller and smaller), etc, etc. It has been said that the next
    generation of CPUs will be Quantum based.

    Reading is your friend Jim, don't fear it.

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Sep 8, 2005
  4. Derrick Stone, Sep 8, 2005
  5. Imhotep

    Unruh Guest

    Imhotep <> writes:

    >Jim Watt wrote:

    >> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 16:01:09 -0400, Imhotep <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Not sure if this guy is full of it or not, but if he is telling the truth,
    >>>WOW!
    >>>
    >>>http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=11784

    >> does it have security problems?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jim Watt
    >> http://www.gibnet.com

    >PCs have a ceiling with regard to speed. Loosely stated, the PC architecture

    And what is that ceiling?

    >must change to a different platform soon. There are too many limitations

    Perhaps, but what is it you are suggesting.

    >with the current system. For example, excessive heat, attenuation (as

    How does making it smaller increase attenuation? And What level of heat is
    "excessive" ( current machines are of order 10^10 above the thermodynamic
    limit of dissipation per quantum gate-- assuming dissipative gates)

    >systems get smaller and smaller), etc, etc. It has been said that the next
    >generation of CPUs will be Quantum based.

    Since the world is quantum based, that is a pretty safe prediction.

    >Reading is your friend Jim, don't fear it.

    It depends on what you read.

    Unruh, Sep 8, 2005
  6. On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 16:01:09 -0400, in alt.computer.security , Imhotep
    <> in <> wrote:

    >Not sure if this guy is full of it or not, but if he is telling the truth,
    >WOW!
    >
    >http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=11784
    >
    >Imhotep

    If anyone want one I will sell it to you for $100. The thing is, you
    send me the cash now and I don't have to deliver until they are
    available. No money back guarantee. And I can also guarantee your
    level of satisfaction. (I make no claims here of what level that will
    be.)

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    Genocide is news | Be A Witness
    http://www.beawitness.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    www.darfurgenocide.org

    Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
    http://www.savedarfur.org/

    Matt Silberstein, Sep 8, 2005
  7. Hehe. You've got my $100 if you can explain how 'quantum-optical' is not
    a logical impossibility.

    Derrick Stone, Sep 8, 2005
  8. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Unruh wrote:

    > Imhotep <> writes:
    >
    >>Jim Watt wrote:

    >>> does it have security problems?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Jim Watt
    >>> http://www.gibnet.com

    >>PCs have a ceiling with regard to speed. Loosely stated, the PC
    >>architecture

    > And what is that ceiling?

    Hummm. are you saying that their are no limitations in the current CPU and
    buss architectures? I am confused please explain.

    >>must change to a different platform soon. There are too many limitations

    > Perhaps, but what is it you are suggesting.

    I am not an electrical engineer. I am a software engineer (well, my degree
    anyway). As such I am not suggesting anything. Just found an article that I
    though was interesting relating to computing.

    >>with the current system. For example, excessive heat, attenuation (as

    > How does making it smaller increase attenuation? And What level of heat is
    > "excessive" ( current machines are of order 10^10 above the thermodynamic
    > limit of dissipation per quantum gate-- assuming dissipative gates)

    It is my understanding that as the CPUs get smalled, the "walls" in between
    the paths also get smaller. As such there are limitations on small they can
    become before two paths, close to each other, start to interfere with each
    other. Again, sorry about the lack in electrical engineering "speak" my
    degree is in software :)

    >>systems get smaller and smaller), etc, etc. It has been said that the next
    >>generation of CPUs will be Quantum based.

    > Since the world is quantum based, that is a pretty safe prediction.

    You knew as well as I, I was speaking about quantum computing. Not the
    quantifying of life :)

    >>Reading is your friend Jim, don't fear it.

    > It depends on what you read.

    Reading is never a waste of time when it is scientific...

    Imhotep, Sep 8, 2005
  9. Imhotep

    Unruh Guest

    Imhotep <> writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> Imhotep <> writes:

    >>>PCs have a ceiling with regard to speed. Loosely stated, the PC
    >>>architecture

    >> And what is that ceiling?

    >Hummm. are you saying that their are no limitations in the current CPU and
    >buss architectures? I am confused please explain.

    You claimed a ceiling,I didn't. YOu need to justify your statement.

    >>>must change to a different platform soon. There are too many limitations

    >> Perhaps, but what is it you are suggesting.

    >I am not an electrical engineer. I am a software engineer (well, my degree
    >anyway). As such I am not suggesting anything. Just found an article that I
    >though was interesting relating to computing.

    "must change to a different platform soon" is not the statement of someone
    who claims to know nothing.

    And you did not just find an interesting article, you made editorial
    comments about it as well.

    >>>with the current system. For example, excessive heat, attenuation (as

    >> How does making it smaller increase attenuation? And What level of heat is
    >> "excessive" ( current machines are of order 10^10 above the thermodynamic
    >> limit of dissipation per quantum gate-- assuming dissipative gates)

    >It is my understanding that as the CPUs get smalled, the "walls" in between
    >the paths also get smaller. As such there are limitations on small they can
    >become before two paths, close to each other, start to interfere with each
    >other. Again, sorry about the lack in electrical engineering "speak" my
    >degree is in software :)

    That is not attenuation it is crosstalk.

    >>>systems get smaller and smaller), etc, etc. It has been said that the next
    >>>generation of CPUs will be Quantum based.

    >> Since the world is quantum based, that is a pretty safe prediction.

    >You knew as well as I, I was speaking about quantum computing. Not the
    >quantifying of life :)

    Quantum computing is NOT the next generation of CPUs. Quantum computing may
    be good for some tasks but certainly not general purpose computing.
    And in quantum computing Moores law is logarithmic. Ie, the number of bits
    increases by one every two years, (not doubling)

    >>>Reading is your friend Jim, don't fear it.

    >> It depends on what you read.

    >Reading is never a waste of time when it is scientific...

    Some reading is a waste of time. (Eg, Angels and Demons)

    Unruh, Sep 8, 2005
  10. On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 16:25:36 -0400, in alt.computer.security , Derrick
    Stone <> in <dfq6o1$v1$>
    wrote:

    >Hehe. You've got my $100 if you can explain how 'quantum-optical' is not
    >a logical impossibility.

    Never said it was a logical impossibly, I am just saying that this
    thing is a hoax.

    Matt Silberstein, Sep 8, 2005
  11. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Unruh wrote:

    > Imhotep <> writes:
    >
    >>Unruh wrote:

    >>> And what is that ceiling?

    >>Hummm. are you saying that their are no limitations in the current CPU and
    >>buss architectures? I am confused please explain.

    > You claimed a ceiling,I didn't. YOu need to justify your statement.

    Well, if you disagree try justifying why and I will justify why I think
    there is a ceiling...

    >>> Perhaps, but what is it you are suggesting.

    >>I am not an electrical engineer. I am a software engineer (well, my degree
    >>anyway). As such I am not suggesting anything. Just found an article that
    >>I though was interesting relating to computing.

    > "must change to a different platform soon" is not the statement of someone
    > who claims to know nothing.

    > And you did not just find an interesting article, you made editorial
    > comments about it as well.

    My "editorial" was and I qoute:
    "Not sure if this guy is full of it or not, but if he is telling the truth,
    WOW!"

    Not sure if I would consider that an editorial.

    >>> How does making it smaller increase attenuation? And What level of heat
    >>> is "excessive" ( current machines are of order 10^10 above the
    >>> thermodynamic limit of dissipation per quantum gate-- assuming
    >>> dissipative gates)

    >>It is my understanding that as the CPUs get smalled, the "walls" in
    >>between the paths also get smaller. As such there are limitations on small
    >>they can become before two paths, close to each other, start to interfere
    >>with each other. Again, sorry about the lack in electrical engineering
    >>"speak" my degree is in software :)

    > That is not attenuation it is crosstalk.

    yes, you are correct crosstalk. Attenuation is defined as basically loss of
    signal strength. If you have two paths running parallel but in different
    directions in a very small space would this not affect the signal's
    strength?

    >>> Since the world is quantum based, that is a pretty safe prediction.

    >>You knew as well as I, I was speaking about quantum computing. Not the
    >>quantifying of life :)

    > Quantum computing is NOT the next generation of CPUs. Quantum computing
    > may be good for some tasks but certainly not general purpose computing.
    > And in quantum computing Moores law is logarithmic. Ie, the number of bits
    > increases by one every two years, (not doubling)

    So quantum computing is not a potential next generation of PCs? If so, what
    do you think is? Where do you see things in say 10, 20 or 30 years?

    >>> It depends on what you read.

    >>Reading is never a waste of time when it is scientific...

    > Some reading is a waste of time. (Eg, Angels and Demons)

    ???

    Im

    Imhotep, Sep 9, 2005