    if these copies are likely to be play-able on machines commonly in use in
    England. If not, is there a solution?

    TIA
    Bubba, Feb 26, 2006

  2. "Bubba" <> wrote in message
    news:BTjMf.49983$...
    >I have been using a SONY DRX-71OUL in conjunction with a little laptop
    >computer to burn slide show DVDs on trips. The DVDs play perfectly well on
    >my TVs in the US, but I am told that DVD players in the UK operate
    >differently.
    >

    > Before I send a pile of useless discs overseas, could someone let me know
    > if these copies are likely to be play-able on machines commonly in use in
    > England. If not, is there a solution?

    yep - uk dvd players play NTSC discs fine - assuming you dont region code
    them (and why would you).
    only possible spanner in the works is if the tv of the person you are
    sending them to is ancient and doesnt like ntsc - but that's unlikely.

    --
    Gareth.
    Goblins are real... your Grandpa Seth is telling you!
    the dog from that film you saw, Feb 26, 2006

  3. Bubba

    Adrian Guest

    Bubba wrote:
    > I have been using a SONY DRX-71OUL in conjunction with a little
    > laptop computer to burn slide show DVDs on trips. The DVDs play
    > perfectly well on my TVs in the US, but I am told that DVD players in
    > the UK operate differently.
    >

    > Before I send a pile of useless discs overseas, could someone let me
    > know if these copies are likely to be play-able on machines commonly
    > in use in England. If not, is there a solution?
    >

    > TIA

    _All_ UK DVD players will play NTSC discs without any problem, _nearly_ all
    UK televisions will accept an NTSC signal. Some DVD players will convert
    NTSC to PAL, so there is a very good chance whoever you send the discs to,
    will be able to play them.
    --
    Adrian A
    Adrian, Feb 26, 2006
  4. Bubba

    Paul Hyett Guest

    In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :

    >_All_ UK DVD players will play NTSC discs without any problem, _nearly_ all
    >UK televisions will accept an NTSC signal.

    Mine doesn't - and it's only 6 years old.
    --
    Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett
    Paul Hyett, Feb 26, 2006
  5. Bubba

    Adrian Guest

    Paul Hyett wrote:
    > In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :
    >>
    >> _All_ UK DVD players will play NTSC discs without any problem,
    >> _nearly_ all UK televisions will accept an NTSC signal.

    > Mine doesn't - and it's only 6 years old.

    Your what doesn't what?
    Adrian, Feb 26, 2006
  6. Thus spaketh Adrian:
    > Paul Hyett wrote:
    >> In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :
    >>>
    >>> _All_ UK DVD players will play NTSC discs without any problem,
    >>> _nearly_ all UK televisions will accept an NTSC signal.

    >> Mine doesn't - and it's only 6 years old.

    > Your what doesn't what?

    Can only mean TV. As all region 2 players will play NTSC, due to the fact
    Japan is NTSC and is region 2, Europe is PAL and is region 2.

    Or I wonder if they are getting confused with Region coding on the player, and
    having tried an NTSC disc it didn't work, but that was due to region coding.

    Though again, if they are on about the TV, wonder if it can really, as I can't
    see a 6 year old TV not working with NTSC, unless this person isn't using a
    fully wired scart on a RGB enable socket.

    --
    For £5 when referred to easyMobile contact me via
    www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 27, 2006
  7. Bubba

    Paul Hyett Guest

    In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :
    >Paul Hyett wrote:
    >> In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :
    >>>
    >>> _All_ UK DVD players will play NTSC discs without any problem,
    >>> _nearly_ all UK televisions will accept an NTSC signal.

    >> Mine doesn't - and it's only 6 years old.

    >Your what doesn't what?

    My TV won't accept NTSC signals.
    --
    Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett
    Paul Hyett, Feb 27, 2006
  8. Bubba

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Paul Hyett wrote:
    > In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :
    >> Paul Hyett wrote:
    >>> Mine doesn't - and it's only 6 years old.

    >> Your what doesn't what?

    > My TV won't accept NTSC signals.

    Maybe not, but I am sure your player will output PAL from NTSC source.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Feb 27, 2006
  9. Bubba

    Adrian Guest

    Paul Hyett wrote:
    > In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :
    >> Paul Hyett wrote:

    >>> Mine doesn't - and it's only 6 years old.

    >> Your what doesn't what?

    > My TV won't accept NTSC signals.

    I'm surprised as it's only six years old, but I did say nearly all, I have a
    15 year old JVC that won't lock onto a 60Hz signal but that's the only one
    I've seen.
    --
    Adrian A
    Adrian, Feb 27, 2006
  10. Bubba

    V1N Guest

    "Adrian" <> wrote in message
    > Paul Hyett wrote:

    >>> Your what doesn't what?

    >> My TV won't accept NTSC signals.

    > I'm surprised as it's only six years old, but I did say nearly all, I have
    > 15 year old JVC that won't lock onto a 60Hz signal but that's the only one
    > I've seen.
    > --
    > Adrian A

    and indeed I have a 16 year old Sony portable which I used to use an Amiga
    on, which plays NTSC no probs.
    I did hear of somebody near where I live though, with a fairly modern TV and
    (Sony) DVD player, and would only play NTSC in B&W.
    As was mentioned above, I wonder if fully wired scart socket is what makes
    the difference.
    V1N, Feb 27, 2006
  11. Bubba

    Biz Guest

    ONLY 6 years old is not that new for electronics, even tvs, and you must
    have bought an inexpensive tv, cos none of the good ones available in the UK
    have that limitation and havent for a number of years.....

    Biz, Feb 27, 2006
  12. Bubba

    Paul Hyett Guest

    In rec.video.dvd.tech on Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Oldus Fartus wrote :
    >Paul Hyett wrote:
    >>> Your what doesn't what?

    >> My TV won't accept NTSC signals.

    >Maybe not, but I am sure your player will output PAL from NTSC source.

    The DVD player will handle NTSC discs, and I can route the output
    through my PC.
    --
    Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett
    Paul Hyett, Feb 27, 2006
  13. Thus spaketh Paul Hyett:
    > In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :
    >> Paul Hyett wrote:

    >>> Mine doesn't - and it's only 6 years old.

    >> Your what doesn't what?

    > My TV won't accept NTSC signals.

    Strange TV.

    The tuner might only do PAL, but should be OK with NTSC coming through on the
    RGB scart.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 28, 2006
  14. Bubba

    Jukka Aho Guest

    V1N wrote:

    > I did hear of somebody near where I live though, with a fairly modern
    > TV and (Sony) DVD player, and would only play NTSC in B&W.
    > As was mentioned above, I wonder if fully wired scart socket is what
    > makes the difference.

    He would need to get a fully wired Scart cable _and_ connect it to a
    Scart socket that can actually handle RGB signal. (Some tv sets with
    multiple Scart sockets only have the RGB input functionality in one [or
    some] of them, whereas some others may require manually switching the
    socket into the RGB mode from the setup menus.)

    --
    znark
    Jukka Aho, Mar 1, 2006
  15. Bubba

    V1N Guest

    "Jukka Aho" <> wrote in message
    > V1N wrote:
    >
    >> I did hear of somebody near where I live though, with a fairly modern
    >> TV and (Sony) DVD player, and would only play NTSC in B&W.
    >> As was mentioned above, I wonder if fully wired scart socket is what
    >> makes the difference.

    > He would need to get a fully wired Scart cable _and_ connect it to a Scart
    > socket that can actually handle RGB signal. (Some tv sets with multiple
    > Scart sockets only have the RGB input functionality in one [or some] of
    > them, whereas some others may require manually switching the socket into
    > the RGB mode from the setup menus.)
    >
    > --
    > znark

    Yes, that's a very good point!
    My Sony Wega TV only accepts RGB on AV1, and S-Video for AV2.
    So if somebody is using a fully wired scart cable, and it's still only
    displaying in B&W, maybe trying the S-Video output option would
    work better? Or of course, connect to AV1, or do what I did, and get a full
    RGB scart switcher, and plug everything into that.

    V1N.
    V1N, Mar 1, 2006
  16. Bubba

    Jukka Aho Guest

    V1N wrote:

    > My Sony Wega TV only accepts RGB on AV1, and S-Video for AV2.
    > So if somebody is using a fully wired scart cable, and it's still only
    > displaying in B&W, maybe trying the S-Video output option would work
    > better?

    It probably wouldn't, since if the telly can't decode NTSC colors from
    composite signal, it can't decode them from s-video signal, either.

    The only way around this is using an RGB-capable Scart socket, and a
    fully connected lead, or switching the player into a so-called "PAL-60"
    compatibility mode (PAL color signal with typical NTSC refresh rates),
    if it can do that.

    (Not all DVD players can. The VHS VCRs that claim to be able to do "NTSC
    playback on PAL tv" do it this way.)

    > Or of course, connect to AV1, or do what I did, and get
    > a full RGB scart switcher, and plug everything into that.

    Yes, getting a switcher is probably the best option if the tv set
    doesn't have enough RGB-enabled Scart sockets for your RGB-enabled
    devices. (Sometimes you can solve the problem by chaining devices,
    though - for example, some DVB set-top boxes have two Scart sockets, and
    allow chaining.)

    --
    znark
    Jukka Aho, Mar 1, 2006
  17. Bubba

    Guest

    Is this Joe Keenan?

    CPJ
    , Mar 3, 2006
  18. Bubba

    V1N Guest

    "Jukka Aho" <> wrote in message
    > V1N wrote:
    >
    >> My Sony Wega TV only accepts RGB on AV1, and S-Video for AV2.
    >> So if somebody is using a fully wired scart cable, and it's still only
    >> displaying in B&W, maybe trying the S-Video output option would work
    >> better?

    > It probably wouldn't, since if the telly can't decode NTSC colors from
    > composite signal, it can't decode them from s-video signal, either.
    >
    > The only way around this is using an RGB-capable Scart socket, and a fully
    > connected lead, or switching the player into a so-called "PAL-60"
    > compatibility mode (PAL color signal with typical NTSC refresh rates), if
    > it can do that.
    >
    > (Not all DVD players can. The VHS VCRs that claim to be able to do "NTSC
    > playback on PAL tv" do it this way.)
    >
    >> Or of course, connect to AV1, or do what I did, and get
    >> a full RGB scart switcher, and plug everything into that.

    > Yes, getting a switcher is probably the best option if the tv set doesn't
    > have enough RGB-enabled Scart sockets for your RGB-enabled devices.
    > (Sometimes you can solve the problem by chaining devices, though - for
    > example, some DVB set-top boxes have two Scart sockets, and allow
    > chaining.)
    >
    > --
    > znark

    That's fair enough.
    I just thought I'd mention it as something to try, as certainly I used to
    use the S-Video input on my TV for a while and it played NTSC no probs.
    As already mentioned though, I think most DVD players can be set to output
    PAL only and convert from NTSC themselves.

    V1N.
    V1N, Mar 3, 2006
  19. Bubba

    Dave Guest

    SNIP
    > Though again, if they are on about the TV, wonder if it can really, as I

    can't
    > see a 6 year old TV not working with NTSC, unless this person isn't using

    > fully wired scart on a RGB enable socket.

    I have just got a new TV to replave a 5 year old Bush 28" widescreen TV with
    both digital and analogue tuner and many other things but it would not play
    back NTSC in colour - although it was stable B&W.

    And yes it was set up fine.

    > --
    > For £5 when referred to easyMobile contact me via
    > www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk

    DaveB
    Dave, Mar 15, 2006
  20. Bubba

    Adrian Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:eek:wtMf.27211$...
    > SNIP
    >> Though again, if they are on about the TV, wonder if it can really,
    >> as I can't see a 6 year old TV not working with NTSC, unless this
    >> person isn't using a fully wired scart on a RGB enable socket.
    >>

    > I have just got a new TV to replave a 5 year old Bush 28" widescreen
    > TV with both digital and analogue tuner and many other things but it
    > would not play back NTSC in colour - although it was stable B&W.
    >
    > And yes it was set up fine.

    Did you connect vian an RGB Scart?
    --
    Adrian A