    Supposedly they will allow a mixed environment of some "B" and some "G"
    devices to operate at their designed speed instead of dropping back the
    entire network to the "B" capability.

    Pegleg, Sep 28, 2007

  2. Hi
    I do not know in specific about the USR. Newer Wireless Router do not revert
    entirely to 802.11b, there are differences in how much "Hit" the 802.11g
    takes in presence of 802.11b, but there is always a "Hit".
    Client 802.11g cards are so inexpensive these day that there is No reason to
    compromise on buying mediocre Wireless devices.
    In addition usage of 802.11b usually reduces the security configuration to
    WEP, which is currently Highly insecure.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 28, 2007

  3. In wireless technology only one host can communicate with a WAP at a time.
    They have to take turns. So when it is "B's" turn to communicate it sends
    the packet,..because B is slower it takes more time for the Packet to
    complete the trip which causes the other to have to waite,...hence it slows
    down the WAP.

    The only thing I can think of is if the WAP has dual radios and uses two
    different channels so the B's can work over a different channel than the G's
    which might allow them to transceive at the same time or near the same time.
    You may still take some hit in performance.

    I don't know anything about the USRs but that is about the only thing I can
    think of that they might be doing,..and it is just a guess.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Sep 28, 2007
  4. Pegleg

    Pegleg Guest

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:07:01 -0400, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:

    >Client 802.11g cards are so inexpensive these day that there is No reason to
    >compromise on buying mediocre Wireless devices.

    I realize that however I use a PDA wirelessly that is only capable of
    ..11b. Both laptops we use are .11g. I have done some "unscientific"
    observations by watching the speed indicated on the laptops both before
    and after I get on the wireless network with my PDA and see no change.

    Of course I have no idea as to how accurate the speed indicator is in
    the XP(Home) system. With a .11g router I see anywhere from 18 Mbps to
    54 Mbps on the laptops depending on where I am in the house. Signing in
    with the .11b PDA seems to result in no changes.

    Pegleg, Sep 28, 2007