US Robotics 005605 modem and VOIP

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by colin@nomailspam.com, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have a US Robotics 005605 (aka Model 0525) 56k Voice Faxmodem.
    The last time I used it was several years ago with a Win 98 OS.
    Having converted to Win 2000 pro, I downloaded the USB firmware flash
    program for this model from the US Robotics support site.

    http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5605

    The problem is that I'm not sure what driver to use. There's a USB
    driver
    but I can't get a dialtone from my Sipora 2000 VOIP modem with it.
    The OS recognizes the modem. Is it possible that it doesn't recognize
    VOIP connections?

    US Robotics tech support states the following:

    "In Control Panel, double-click Modems and remove extra modem entries"

    Does that also mean I should remove these options from the Advanced tab?

    Microsoft H.323 TAPI Service Provider
    Microsoft Multicast Conference TAPI Service Provider
    NDIS Proxy TAPI Service Provider
    TAPI Kernel-Mode Service Provider
    Unimodem 5 Service Provider

    I'm going to try using the serial cable now. If anyone has experience
    with VOIP and analog modems, please contribute!

    , Jun 10, 2005

  2. Martin² Guest

    1. The Sipura 2000 is NOT a modem, its ATA (analog telephone adapter) which
    needs to be plugged into ethernet port of a router.

    2. You wont be able to get VoIp working on a dial up 56k connection, it's
    not fast enough on the upload leg. I believe it's possible to set your modem
    for equal speed both ways in which case you may be able to use softphone
    (e.g. Xten Lite).
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jun 11, 2005

  3. Ivor Jones Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a US Robotics 005605 (aka Model 0525) 56k Voice Faxmodem.
    > The last time I used it was several years ago with a Win 98 OS.
    > Having converted to Win 2000 pro, I downloaded the USB firmware
    > flash program for this model from the US Robotics support site.
    >
    > http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5605
    >
    > The problem is that I'm not sure what driver to use. There's a USB
    > driver
    > but I can't get a dialtone from my Sipora 2000 VOIP modem with it.
    > The OS recognizes the modem. Is it possible that it doesn't
    > recognize VOIP connections?

    You won't get VoIP working with a dialup modem, there isn't enough
    bandwidth. VoIP requires a broadband connection.

    Before you say Skype works with dialup yes it does but it uses a
    proprietary protocol and quality on dialup is crap.

    BTW the Sipura 2000 is an ATA not a modem.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Randy Mass Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have a US Robotics 005605 (aka Model 0525) 56k Voice Faxmodem.
    >>The last time I used it was several years ago with a Win 98 OS.
    >>Having converted to Win 2000 pro, I downloaded the USB firmware
    >>flash program for this model from the US Robotics support site.
    >>
    >>http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5605
    >>
    >>The problem is that I'm not sure what driver to use. There's a USB
    >>driver
    >>but I can't get a dialtone from my Sipora 2000 VOIP modem with it.
    >>The OS recognizes the modem. Is it possible that it doesn't
    >>recognize VOIP connections?

    > You won't get VoIP working with a dialup modem, there isn't enough
    > bandwidth. VoIP requires a broadband connection.
    >
    > Before you say Skype works with dialup yes it does but it uses a
    > proprietary protocol and quality on dialup is crap.
    >
    > BTW the Sipura 2000 is an ATA not a modem.
    >
    > Ivor

    I think the Collin is trying to get his modem working over a VOIP
    connection, not a VOIP connection working over his dialup internet access.

    Having said that, Voip over dialup can work, if you're using codecs that
    provide proper compression, but a 56K modem connection over VOIP is
    probably not going to work very well.

    Collin, to do some basic trouble shooting on this problem, make sure you
    get dialtone with a POTS phone plugged into your Sipura ATA(it's not a
    modem) if you don't, there is trouble with your ATA.

    If you do get dialtone, plug your USR modem into a regular POTS line.

    If you don't get dialtone, your modem/drivers are screwed up.

    If you do get dialtone, you have a physical connection problem between
    your modem and the ATA(cords, jacks etc.).

    Randy

    Randy Mass, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Jeremy Guest

    "Randy Mass" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a US Robotics 005605 (aka Model 0525) 56k Voice Faxmodem.
    >>>The last time I used it was several years ago with a Win 98 OS.
    >>>Having converted to Win 2000 pro, I downloaded the USB firmware
    >>>flash program for this model from the US Robotics support site.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5605
    >>>
    >>>The problem is that I'm not sure what driver to use. There's a USB
    >>>driver
    >>>but I can't get a dialtone from my Sipora 2000 VOIP modem with it.
    >>>The OS recognizes the modem. Is it possible that it doesn't
    >>>recognize VOIP connections?

    >> You won't get VoIP working with a dialup modem, there isn't enough
    >> bandwidth. VoIP requires a broadband connection.
    >>
    >> Before you say Skype works with dialup yes it does but it uses a
    >> proprietary protocol and quality on dialup is crap.
    >>
    >> BTW the Sipura 2000 is an ATA not a modem.
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > I think the Collin is trying to get his modem working over a VOIP
    > connection, not a VOIP connection working over his dialup internet access.
    >
    > Having said that, Voip over dialup can work, if you're using codecs that
    > provide proper compression, but a 56K modem connection over VOIP is
    > probably not going to work very well.
    >
    > Collin, to do some basic trouble shooting on this problem, make sure you
    > get dialtone with a POTS phone plugged into your Sipura ATA(it's not a
    > modem) if you don't, there is trouble with your ATA.
    >
    > If you do get dialtone, plug your USR modem into a regular POTS line.
    >
    > If you don't get dialtone, your modem/drivers are screwed up.
    >
    > If you do get dialtone, you have a physical connection problem between
    > your modem and the ATA(cords, jacks etc.).
    >
    > Randy

    I have had much better results by configuring my modem as a Class 2, rather
    than the default Class 1, when faxing on VoIP.

    The Class 2 protocol does not spend nearly as much time "training" during
    each fax. It also hangs up faster after the fax has been transmitted. It
    also does not utilize error correction, and that saves time.

    Class 1 also has the nasty habit of slowing down as multiple pages are
    transmitted. It might start out at 14,400 for the first page, then drop to
    9600 on the second page, 7200 on the third page, and 4800 on all the
    subsequent pages. I have experienced much less of that when transmitting in
    Class 2 mode.

    Not all modems support Class 2, but if yours does, by all means try it. You
    may find that it significantly reduces transmission time.

    Jeremy, Jun 11, 2005
  6. Guest

    Thanks for the responses.

    First of all, I don't have a problem getting a dial tone with my HP All-
    in One printer/scanner/fax unit, only the US Robotics External 005605
    seems to have a problem with a dial tone. Perhaps it's a driver problem,
    since the OS does recognize that the modem is connected to a serial port
    when I have it connected with the serial cable, and in USB mode when it's
    connected to the USB port.

    There's also the possibility that something must be re-configured within
    the Sipura 2000 setup - or the US Robotics modem may simply be broken,
    since the HP all-in-one received the dial tone upon initial power-on
    testing.

    Faxing shouldn't be a problem if I reduce the baud rate with my software.
    The HP doesn't allow for that, though and that's why I'm trying to get
    the US Robotics external configured.

    Perhaps it's time to just shell out $7 for one of these internal's:

    http://www.pricewatch.com/prc.aspx?i=42&a=271987

    "Jeremy" <> wrote in news:Jksqe.723$fa3.689@trndny01:

    > Subject: Re: US Robotics 005605 modem and VOIP
    > From: "Jeremy" <>
    > Newsgroups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.modems
    >

    > "Randy Mass" <> wrote in message
    >> Ivor Jones wrote:

    >>> You won't get VoIP working with a dialup modem, there isn't enough
    >>> bandwidth. VoIP requires a broadband connection.
    >>>
    >>> Before you say Skype works with dialup yes it does but it uses a
    >>> proprietary protocol and quality on dialup is crap.
    >>>
    >>> BTW the Sipura 2000 is an ATA not a modem.
    >>>
    >>> Ivor

    >> I think the Collin is trying to get his modem working over a VOIP
    >> connection, not a VOIP connection working over his dialup internet
    >> access.
    >>
    >> Having said that, Voip over dialup can work, if you're using codecs
    >> that provide proper compression, but a 56K modem connection over VOIP
    >> is probably not going to work very well.
    >>
    >> Collin, to do some basic trouble shooting on this problem, make sure
    >> you get dialtone with a POTS phone plugged into your Sipura ATA(it's
    >> not a modem) if you don't, there is trouble with your ATA.
    >>
    >> If you do get dialtone, plug your USR modem into a regular POTS line.
    >>
    >> If you don't get dialtone, your modem/drivers are screwed up.
    >>
    >> If you do get dialtone, you have a physical connection problem
    >> between your modem and the ATA(cords, jacks etc.).
    >>
    >> Randy

    > I have had much better results by configuring my modem as a Class 2,
    > rather than the default Class 1, when faxing on VoIP.
    >
    > The Class 2 protocol does not spend nearly as much time "training"
    > during each fax. It also hangs up faster after the fax has been
    > transmitted. It also does not utilize error correction, and that
    > saves time.
    >
    > Class 1 also has the nasty habit of slowing down as multiple pages are
    > transmitted. It might start out at 14,400 for the first page, then
    > drop to 9600 on the second page, 7200 on the third page, and 4800 on
    > all the subsequent pages. I have experienced much less of that when
    > transmitting in Class 2 mode.
    >
    > Not all modems support Class 2, but if yours does, by all means try
    > it. You may find that it significantly reduces transmission time.

    , Jun 11, 2005
  7. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> I have a US Robotics 005605 (aka Model 0525) 56k Voice Faxmodem.
    >> The last time I used it was several years ago with a Win 98 OS.
    >> Having converted to Win 2000 pro, I downloaded the USB firmware
    >> flash program for this model from the US Robotics support site.
    >>
    >> http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5605
    >>
    >> The problem is that I'm not sure what driver to use. There's a USB
    >> driver
    >> but I can't get a dialtone from my Sipora 2000 VOIP modem with it.
    >> The OS recognizes the modem. Is it possible that it doesn't
    >> recognize VOIP connections?

    > You won't get VoIP working with a dialup modem, there isn't enough
    > bandwidth. VoIP requires a broadband connection.

    *WRONG*. The Macintosh software "PGPphone" was doing this years ago. Human
    speech really doesn't need to bandwidth many people it requires. Several
    stupidities of most modern fancy-digital-phone-systems conspire to heavily
    degrade the signal, such as the use of automatic gain controls, trying too
    hard to keep the signal from clipping, trying to spend all your cycles
    processing and analyzing and digitally throbbing the prostate of the signal
    in order to try to get it to be more comprehensible by whatever cockeyed
    scheme your particular intern thought of, etc., etc.

    If you throw out almost all the digital analysis and present just a few bits
    of signal, *at the zero crossings* instead of smoothed and merged and FFT'ed
    into powerbands and with all the speech timing thrown out, you actually get
    a quite intelligible signal.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia, Jun 13, 2005