    watch for (apart from plug differences on chargers)?

    Thanks,

    Richard

    Richard, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Richard

    Trev Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm planning on getting a Canon a80 or G3 and want to take advantage
    > of the weak dollar (relative to the pound) and buy it in the US. So
    > if anyone has done this before, I'd appreciate any help.
    >
    > Does anyone know a retailer in the US that will ship to the UK (and
    > accept a credit card with a UK address)? Is there anything else to
    > watch for (apart from plug differences on chargers)?

    Apart from the duty and post and packing also the vat on all of them,
    then the charge by the handelers +vat, and no warenty. No

    Trev, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Richard

    FOR7b Guest

    >Apart from the duty and post and packing also the vat on all of them,
    >then the charge by the handelers +vat, and no warenty. No

    Someone recently mentioned Canon honors the warranty world-wide. That of course
    should be confirmed by the buyer. Costs for shipping and handling from America
    to the UK will be minimal, especially from New York, and he will not pay any
    sales taxes for the out of state purchase either.

    FOR7b, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Richard

    Ian Burley Guest

    You'll have to do your research well. Some US-spec cameras, for example,
    might not support PAL video output, for example, if that's important for
    you.

    dp-now (UK site) is affiliated with Adorama in the US, a well respected
    supplier. If you are interested, try either of these links:

    http://www.dp-now.com/shopping/shopping.html#adorama

    http://www.adorama.com/Refby.tpl?refby=rflAID020397

    Ian

    --
    Digital Photography Now
    UK-based digital photo Web magazine

    Ian Burley, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Richard

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Trev" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm planning on getting a Canon a80 or G3 and want to take advantage
    > > of the weak dollar (relative to the pound) and buy it in the US. So
    > > if anyone has done this before, I'd appreciate any help.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know a retailer in the US that will ship to the UK (and
    > > accept a credit card with a UK address)? Is there anything else to
    > > watch for (apart from plug differences on chargers)?
    > >

    > Apart from the duty and post and packing also the vat on all of them,
    > then the charge by the handelers +vat, and no warenty. No

    You missed (or didnt make explicit), 'plus the handler charging for
    collecting duty'.

    When I've done the sums previously, the gain on anything under 6or7 hundred
    isnt IMHO worth the small saving (maybe £50-75), especially if its a DOA and
    you have to send it back. happened to a mate, got his camera (from
    Singapore), took 6 pics and it failed, then he had a shit load of hassle
    trying to get it repaired under warranty.

    --
    Tumbleweed

    newsgroups)

    Tumbleweed, Oct 23, 2003
  6. Richard

    Basiltoo Guest

    (Richard) wrote in

    > I'm planning on getting a Canon a80 or G3 and want to take advantage
    > of the weak dollar (relative to the pound) and buy it in the US. So
    > if anyone has done this before, I'd appreciate any help.
    >
    > Does anyone know a retailer in the US that will ship to the UK (and
    > accept a credit card with a UK address)? Is there anything else to
    > watch for (apart from plug differences on chargers)?

    I thought about doing this, Richard but decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
    You should pay VAT and may have to. Also, if it arrives DOA, can you
    imagine trying to sort it out.

    If you do import then I would be interested to hear how you get on.

    --
    Regards,
    Baz

    http://www.trevellan.co.uk

    Basiltoo, Oct 23, 2003
  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    > > Apart from the duty and post and packing also the vat on all of them,
    > > then the charge by the handelers +vat, and no warenty. No
    > >

    > You missed (or didnt make explicit), 'plus the handler charging for
    > collecting duty'.
    >
    > When I've done the sums previously, the gain on anything under 6or7 hundred
    > isnt IMHO worth the small saving (maybe £50-75), especially if its a DOA and
    > you have to send it back. happened to a mate, got his camera (from
    > Singapore), took 6 pics and it failed, then he had a shit load of hassle
    > trying to get it repaired under warranty.

    Thanks for the feedback. I saw a Canon G3 advertised by a number of
    retailers through Amazon for $440 (£260), here they are still ~£460.
    Which is a huge difference. If the Canon warranty is world-wide then I
    can't see how I would lose.

    Richard

    Richard, Oct 24, 2003
  8. On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:46:12 +0000, FOR7b wrote:

    >>Apart from the duty and post and packing also the vat on all of them,
    >>then the charge by the handelers +vat, and no warenty. No
    >>

    > Someone recently mentioned Canon honors the warranty world-wide.

    Conceivably me... Canon has a web page up that specifically states that
    the warranty for Canon *SLR* cameras is worldwide. This may or may not be
    the case for the G3, the buyer should check. The page that gives the
    worldwide answer is http://www.usa.canon.com/html/support/slrfaq.html.

    People considering this should also note that the above page states that
    the warranty for Canon SLRs purchased from Canon USA is valid worldwide -
    that doesn't necessarily extend to purchases from Canon Canada for
    example. Of course all these things may be covered, but it would be
    advisable for prospective purchasers to check up first.

    > That of
    > course should be confirmed by the buyer. Costs for shipping and handling
    > from America to the UK will be minimal, especially from New York, and he
    > will not pay any sales taxes for the out of state purchase either.

    No, but if the shipment is checked by Customs on the way in, duty and VAT
    will be charged. If the shipment is via FedEx or similar, the normal
    procedure is that the shipping company pays the duty and VAT, and reclaims
    them (possibly plus a handling charge) from the buyer.

    Purchasing from the USA is rarely a viable cheap option for UK residents,
    except where the goods in question are VAT/duty exempt (like books from
    Amazon, for example) or fall below the threshold for charging. There has
    to be a really huge price differential to offset duty and VAT.

    Mike.

    Mike Brodbelt, Oct 24, 2003
  9. In article <pan.2003.10.24.14.48.04.240178
    @__NO_SPAM_PLEASE__coruscant.demon.co.uk>,
    m.brodbelt@__NO_SPAM_PLEASE__coruscant.demon.co.uk says...
    > > Someone recently mentioned Canon honors the warranty world-wide.

    > Conceivably me... Canon has a web page up that specifically states that
    > the warranty for Canon *SLR* cameras is worldwide. This may or may not be
    > the case for the G3, the buyer should check. The page that gives the
    > worldwide answer is http://www.usa.canon.com/html/support/slrfaq.html.

    Not really.

    It says: "Q. What is Canon's EOS camera warranty?

    A. All models distributed by Canon USA have a 1 year parts & labor
    warranty which is valid worldwide."

    US dealer XYZ is not Canon USA.

    Cheers

    --

    Looking for a dream holiday?
    http://www.palmcove.net/

    Gerhard Beulke, Oct 24, 2003
  10. Richard

    FOR7b Guest

    >> Conceivably me... Canon has a web page up that specifically states that
    >> the warranty for Canon *SLR* cameras is worldwide. This may or may not be
    >> the case for the G3, the buyer should check. The page that gives the
    >> worldwide answer is http://www.usa.canon.com/html/support/slrfaq.html.

    >Not really.
    >
    >It says: "Q. What is Canon's EOS camera warranty?
    >
    >A. All models distributed by Canon USA have a 1 year parts & labor
    >warranty which is valid worldwide."
    >
    >US dealer XYZ is not Canon USA.
    >
    >Cheers

    You misunderstand. Canon USA is the distributer to the US dealers XYZ.

    FOR7b, Oct 24, 2003
  11. Richard

    Peter Guest

    Hello Gerhard Beulke,

    You wrote:

    >It says: "Q. What is Canon's EOS camera warranty?
    >
    >A. All models distributed by Canon USA have a 1 year parts & labor
    >warranty which is valid worldwide."

    Which could be accompanied by small print elsewhere to read that only
    products distributed and purchased in the USA are valid world-wide
    perhaps?
    --
    Peter

    Peter, Oct 24, 2003
  12. In article <>,
    xnxnxnx says...
    > >Not really.
    > >
    > >It says: "Q. What is Canon's EOS camera warranty?
    > >
    > >A. All models distributed by Canon USA have a 1 year parts & labor
    > >warranty which is valid worldwide."
    > >
    > >US dealer XYZ is not Canon USA.
    > >
    > >Cheers
    > >

    > You misunderstand. Canon USA is the distributer to the US dealers XYZ.

    No, you misunderstand.
    US dealer XYZ purchases their Canon products from HKG or elsewhere in
    the world but not from Canon USA.
    So what now?

    These products don't have US warranty but either international warranty
    or store warranty.
    Are they valid world wide? The international might be but not the store
    warranty...

    Gerhard Beulke, Oct 24, 2003
  13. Richard

    FOR7b Guest

    >> You misunderstand. Canon USA is the distributer to the US dealers XYZ.
    >>

    >No, you misunderstand.
    >US dealer XYZ purchases their Canon products from HKG or elsewhere in
    >the world but not from Canon USA.
    >So what now?
    >
    >These products don't have US warranty but either international warranty
    >or store warranty.
    >Are they valid world wide? The international might be but not the store
    >warranty

    You are still misunderstanding. What you are talking about now is gray market
    and the person from the UK was not inquiring about gray market goods from the
    US. Anything other than gray market will have a Canon USA warranty and
    according to the earlier posting it is honored worldwide.

    FOR7b, Oct 25, 2003