    includes FREE SHIPPING!!

    Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great NZ
    ripoff is why.

    djdickjonson, Jul 17, 2008

  2. In article
    <>,
    djdickjonson did write:

    > Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great NZ
    > ripoff is why.

    Who's ripping you off? There's nobody stopping you from importing it direct
    from the US, if you want.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 18, 2008

  3. djdickjonson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb
    "texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.." typed:
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:19:37 -0700 (PDT), djdickjonson
    > <> wrote:
    >> Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great
    >> NZ ripoff is why.

    > Ever looked at the price of shipping plus marine insurance et al?
    > Not cheap! Handling, distribution etc etc...

    And yet the chances are that these things are made in Asia, closer to us
    than to the US.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 18, 2008
  4. djdickjonson

    Mutlley Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarweb
    >"texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.." typed:
    >> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:19:37 -0700 (PDT), djdickjonson
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great
    >>> NZ ripoff is why.

    >> Ever looked at the price of shipping plus marine insurance et al?
    >> Not cheap! Handling, distribution etc etc...

    >And yet the chances are that these things are made in Asia, closer to us
    >than to the US.
    >
    >Cheers,

    Perfect example of NZ rip of from yesterdays NZ herald The new 80Gig
    PS3 will sell in the US for NZ$519. The current 40Gig model sells
    here for NZ$800.

    AppleTV has a similar mark up thow it's vertually unless here..

    Mutlley, Jul 18, 2008
  5. djdickjonson

    EMB Guest

    djdickjonson wrote:
    > Ah yes, near the end of another work night.
    >
    > HP 7650 scanner, in New Zealand, costs $1645 inc GST from pricespy.
    >
    > Amazon USA , sell the same scanner for $550 NZD, and , that price
    > includes FREE SHIPPING!!
    >
    > Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great NZ
    > ripoff is why.

    It is due in part to the greater margins needed by both retailers and
    importers to cover their liabilities under legislation such as the CGA.

    EMB, Jul 18, 2008
  6. On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:27:00 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >djdickjonson wrote:
    >> Ah yes, near the end of another work night.
    >>
    >> HP 7650 scanner, in New Zealand, costs $1645 inc GST from pricespy.
    >>
    >> Amazon USA , sell the same scanner for $550 NZD, and , that price
    >> includes FREE SHIPPING!!
    >>
    >> Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great NZ
    >> ripoff is why.

    >It is due in part to the greater margins needed by both retailers and
    >importers to cover their liabilities under legislation such as the CGA.

    Yep, NZ does have tougher warranties etc than in the US where it's not unusual to have only a 3
    month warranty. Need more? Buy it!

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jul 18, 2008
  7. On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:35:15 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarweb
    >"texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.." typed:
    >> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:19:37 -0700 (PDT), djdickjonson
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great
    >>> NZ ripoff is why.

    >> Ever looked at the price of shipping plus marine insurance et al?
    >> Not cheap! Handling, distribution etc etc...

    >And yet the chances are that these things are made in Asia, closer to us
    >than to the US.
    >
    >Cheers,

    Most likely is the case! COSCO is just one container shipping company that has volumes of goods
    unimaginable by many kiwis, coming to the US from Asia. My last container from NZ was shipped to
    Yokohama, Japan by COSCO then onto a second ship to CA. Actually arrived days before it was
    supposed to [as a result the customs clearance company I was using got caught and had to do an
    urgent online filing].

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jul 18, 2008
  8. On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 05:40:31 +1200, Puddle <> wrote:

    >djdickjonson wrote:
    >> Ah yes, near the end of another work night.
    >>
    >> HP 7650 scanner, in New Zealand, costs $1645 inc GST from pricespy.
    >>
    >> Amazon USA , sell the same scanner for $550 NZD, and , that price
    >> includes FREE SHIPPING!!
    >>
    >> Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great NZ
    >> ripoff is why.

    >I just returned from 6 months of living in the San Joaquin valley. I
    >was amazed at how cheap the US is compared to NZ, from books that are a
    >1/4 of the price to gas at 1/2 price, electronics, well nearly
    >everything.. the only thing I found that wasn't was meat.

    Depends on what you buy!

    Sure if you want filet mignon, t-bone etc you are going to pay.

    But if you care to invest in 1] a vac sealer unit; and 2] a crock pot or pressure cooker, you can
    buy the likes of shoulder roast for under US$2 a pound. Chicken and even pork is extremely cheap.
    The idea is to watch the supermarkets weekly flyers for specials, buy, bag and freeze...
    Hamburger - it depends on what % fat you buy i.e. the leaner the more expensive. From memory, I
    pay about US$14 for a 10lb block.

    I know when we get back, not being able to have affordable salad veggies available year round is
    going to hit me! I eat lots of salads each week - packaged 3 x romaine heads for 2.50, tomatoes
    this week on sale 88c lb [the heat has killed my own off]; cukes abt 40c each [again heat has killed
    mine off], etc etc.. Big pkts of spring onions for $1.

    > Add to that >their larger salaries and Americans have a pretty easy going life
    >compared to NZ'ers. I of course went crazy with the shopping over
    >there! :)

    Don't we all!!!!

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jul 18, 2008
  9. On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:19:37 -0700 (PDT), djdickjonson <> wrote:

    >Ah yes, near the end of another work night.
    >
    >HP 7650 scanner, in New Zealand, costs $1645 inc GST from pricespy.
    >
    >Amazon USA , sell the same scanner for $550 NZD, and , that price
    >includes FREE SHIPPING!!

    Is that to NZ or a US address?

    >Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great NZ
    >ripoff is why.

    Ever looked at the price of shipping plus marine insurance et al?
    Not cheap! Handling, distribution etc etc...

    I needed a scanner with ADF last year and bought a HP 5590 for under US$100 refurbished.
    I nearly bought another at the same time and regret I didn't.
    Came with the 240v adapter as well.
    Basically it appears the same as the 7650...

    Used it to copy medical records etc and would be lucky to use it once a month now!

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jul 18, 2008
  10. In article <>,
    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. says...

    > Ever looked at the price of shipping plus marine insurance et al?
    > Not cheap! Handling, distribution etc etc...

    The price of shipping one scanner is high. The price of
    shipping a container full of scanners becomes cheap, per unit.
    That's the problem for people sourcing one-offs. Plus many
    products don't have global warranties, and that's another put-
    off. Regardless of that, I purchased and had shipped a digicam
    in Canada 10 years ago at just over half price NZ, landed, and
    I get certain food supplements landed here at 1/3 of the nz
    retail price and that's including airmail to my house. Go
    figure.

    so: I QUITE agree that some importers/agents/distributors are
    really really ripping us off.
    It was only the influx of cheap Jap car imports for instance
    that nearly instantly brought the price of Euro cars way way
    down, compared to what they had been before.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 18, 2008
  11. On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:19:51 +1200, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. says...
    >>
    >> Ever looked at the price of shipping plus marine insurance et al?
    >> Not cheap! Handling, distribution etc etc...
    >>

    >The price of shipping one scanner is high. The price of
    >shipping a container full of scanners becomes cheap, per unit.
    >That's the problem for people sourcing one-offs.

    Exactly!

    When I decided to return to the U.S. I called moving companies seeking quotes for a small load i.e.
    approx 1/4 container to a half container and a FCL. I was amazed at the prices quoted from a
    part load to a FCL.

    Purchase of insurance was another shocker!

    But, in the end, I found it even cheaper by many thousands of $'s, to do a DIY by hiring out my own
    container from the shipping line.

    > Plus many
    >products don't have global warranties, and that's another put-
    >off.

    There are very few companies that do. I am fam with several electronic type items from Duty Free
    stores but there can still be a problem.

    >Regardless of that, I purchased and had shipped a digicam
    >in Canada 10 years ago at just over half price NZ, landed, and
    >I get certain food supplements landed here at 1/3 of the nz
    >retail price and that's including airmail to my house. Go
    >figure.

    My son purchases stuff when he's here and buys the extended warranties so he can post back to us if
    things should go wrong. Touch wood, nothing has to date!

    >so: I QUITE agree that some importers/agents/distributors are
    >really really ripping us off.
    >It was only the influx of cheap Jap car imports for instance
    >that nearly instantly brought the price of Euro cars way way
    >down, compared to what they had been before.
    >
    >-P.

    Who can remember the days when stereo stores paid people to have a vacation in Fiji and buy a stereo
    to bring back through Duty Free/hand over to the store?

    Or the days when you were going overseas of having Customs at the Airport check your camera and
    pieces; fill out a doc so you had no problems bringing it back in! [Still have mine lol]..

    One of the best I heard of was a certain German residing in NZ who bought a very expensive stereo in
    Singapore on route to Germany. When in Germany, he put it on a table at his Aunt's and told her to
    NEVER dust it... He dusted it off lightly, repackaged it and brought it back to NZ on the pretext
    that he was left it by his Late Uncle! He got away with it...

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jul 18, 2008
  12. djdickjonson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:
    > djdickjonson wrote:
    >> Ah yes, near the end of another work night.
    >>
    >> HP 7650 scanner, in New Zealand, costs $1645 inc GST from pricespy.
    >>
    >> Amazon USA , sell the same scanner for $550 NZD, and , that price
    >> includes FREE SHIPPING!!
    >>
    >> Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great
    >> NZ ripoff is why.

    > It is due in part to the greater margins needed by both retailers and
    > importers to cover their liabilities under legislation such as the
    > CGA.

    You have a very valid point there. I must use the CGA more often as I'm
    paying for it. ;-)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 18, 2008
  13. djdickjonson

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 18, 4:19 pm, texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:27:00 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    > >djdickjonson wrote:
    > >> Ah yes, near the end of another work night.

    > >> HP 7650 scanner, in New Zealand, costs $1645 inc GST from pricespy.

    > >> Amazon USA , sell the same scanner for $550 NZD, and , that price
    > >> includes FREE SHIPPING!!

    > >> Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great NZ
    > >> ripoff is why.

    > >It is due in part to the greater margins needed by both retailers and
    > >importers to cover their liabilities under legislation such as the CGA.

    > Yep, NZ does have tougher warranties etc than in the US where it's not unusual to have only a 3
    > month warranty. Need more? Buy it!
    >
    > Cath

    But despite that, customer service in the US is better IME. Have a
    problem? They will take it back no problem. Many retailers, esp
    smaller ones, in NZ, bitch, whine and obstruct when you try to return
    something not suitable... regardless of the CGA.

    There's more competition in the US, and a reputation for poor service
    is a fast ticket out of business.

    JohnO, Jul 18, 2008
  14. In article <48804b25$>,
    says...

    > You have a very valid point there. I must use the CGA more often as I'm
    > paying for it. ;-)
    >
    > Cheers,

    rotfl

    -P.