US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Imhotep, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. Imhotep

    Management Guest

    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    > RBS/Natwest currently mandate IE. FirstDirect (Midland, now HSBC) used to,
    > when I was with them. A friend with Barclays was unable to access e-banking
    > with Firefox, but I'm not sure of their official policy. I think that
    > Commerzbank recently kludged to allow it.

    <SNIP>

    H1K,

    I bank with Barclays, no problem with Firefox v1.0.6, ditto
    Barclaycard - maybe your friend is not allowing cookies from
    Barclays. I can also vouch for Citibank & Wells Fargo in the US.

    Charlie.

    --
    Broadcasting to the environs
    www.radiowymsey.org

    Management, Aug 14, 2005

  2. Imhotep

    Steve Welsh Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > So you keep saying, but you have a fixation..
    >
    > again the statistics tell a different story

    Hmmm, not convinced about who has the fixation, Jim ;)

    Also, I notice that you don't care to mention trends, i.e. that before
    Firefox arrived on the scene M$ Internet Exploder was running somewhere
    about 94%.

    Don't _your_ (they aren't the only ones) statistics tell you something
    from that?

    Anyway, it's all bollox, cos everybody in the world knows that 93.692%
    of statistics are made up :-D

    Steve

    Steve Welsh, Aug 14, 2005

  3. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:13:41 +0100, Steve Welsh <>
    wrote:

    >Jim Watt wrote:
    >> So you keep saying, but you have a fixation..
    >>
    >> again the statistics tell a different story
    >>

    >Hmmm, not convinced about who has the fixation, Jim ;)

    Clearly you mistake me for someone who cares what you think.

    >Also, I notice that you don't care to mention trends, i.e. that before
    >Firefox arrived on the scene M$ Internet Exploder was running somewhere
    >about 94%.

    OK lets look at last years figures:

    Browser % of Total Visitors
    1 Internet Explorer 6.x 69.48%
    2 Internet Explorer 5.x 15.15%
    3 Netscape 6.x 3.84%
    4 Netscape 4.x 2.50%
    5 Netscape 3.x 1.14%
    6 Netscape 2.x 1.12%
    7 Netscape 7.x 0.76%
    8 Netscape 5.x 0.76%
    9 google 0.63%
    10 Opera 0.52%
    11 Internet Explorer 4 0.37%

    >Don't _your_ (they aren't the only ones) statistics tell you something
    >from that?

    Yes, people using IE5 have moved to IE6 people who used
    netscape have migrated to Firefox.

    >Anyway, it's all bollox, cos everybody in the world knows that 93.692%
    >of statistics are made up :-D

    Ah but mine represent the other 6.308%

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 15, 2005
  4. "Management" <> wrote in message
    > Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    > <SNIP>
    > >
    > > I'd love a cite on that one (preferably not from an evangalist). My

    company
    > > codes cross-platform, so it's something that would be useful to me
    > > personally in discussions (all large customers - aside from a Nutscrape

    4.7
    > > French car maker - are 100% IE outside of the IT department)

    > Here it is, from USCERT
    > http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878

    <snip content>

    OK. I'll rephrase.. can someone please supply a cite for something that
    wasn't fixed more than a year ago? ;o)

    H1K

    Hairy One Kenobi, Aug 15, 2005
  5. "Micheal Robert Zium" <> wrote in message
    > Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    <snip>

    > I never questioned that the idiots at some banks may require their
    > customers to use IE, I was referring to the laughable claim of IE's
    > superior security features.

    As I (think) I said, it all comes down to SSL. Older browsers just don't
    have 128-bit, but it was always available as an upgrade option to IE. The
    FirstDirect eBanking trial in 1996 that I participated in also proved that -
    unlike what they told the public - the MS JVM *could* be upgraded in-place.

    Sure, there are probably ways to code around most, if not all, of these
    problems. But your average bank doesn't want to spend the time and money
    unless it sees a financial result.

    The usual way is to code so that everything /should/ work, but only
    *officially* support a particular set of browsers and/or platforms. It's a
    liability and testing thing.

    H1K

    Hairy One Kenobi, Aug 15, 2005
  6. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:17:17 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi"
    <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    >"Micheal Robert Zium" <> wrote in message
    >> Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    ><snip>
    >
    >> I never questioned that the idiots at some banks may require their
    >> customers to use IE, I was referring to the laughable claim of IE's
    >> superior security features.

    >As I (think) I said, it all comes down to SSL. Older browsers just don't
    >have 128-bit, but it was always available as an upgrade option to IE. The
    >FirstDirect eBanking trial in 1996 that I participated in also proved that -
    >unlike what they told the public - the MS JVM *could* be upgraded in-place.

    Older versions of IE were crippled by US export regulations which
    sought to limit encryption to 40bits for 'the rest fo the world'
    That seems to have gone out the window, which probably
    means the NSA are now happy to decrypt it.

    had one fervent believer who said I could not possibly
    be using PGP as it was embargoed.

    Most of the differences between rendering are minor and
    many can be overcome by careful coding. Some pages
    check to see which browser you are using and change
    their behaviour accordingly - this must increase the cost
    of development and maintenance.

    My frontpage on www.gibnews.net looks different between
    IE and Firefox, must get round to fixing that ...
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 15, 2005
  7. On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 01:52:37 +0200, in alt.computer.security , Jim
    Watt <_way> in
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:13:41 +0100, Steve Welsh <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Jim Watt wrote:
    >>> So you keep saying, but you have a fixation..
    >>>
    >>> again the statistics tell a different story
    >>>

    >>Hmmm, not convinced about who has the fixation, Jim ;)

    >Clearly you mistake me for someone who cares what you think.
    >
    >>Also, I notice that you don't care to mention trends, i.e. that before
    >>Firefox arrived on the scene M$ Internet Exploder was running somewhere
    >>about 94%.

    >OK lets look at last years figures:
    >
    > Browser % of Total Visitors
    >1 Internet Explorer 6.x 69.48%
    >2 Internet Explorer 5.x 15.15%

    IE total of about 85%.

    >3 Netscape 6.x 3.84%
    >4 Netscape 4.x 2.50%
    >5 Netscape 3.x 1.14%
    >6 Netscape 2.x 1.12%
    >7 Netscape 7.x 0.76%
    >8 Netscape 5.x 0.76%
    >9 google 0.63%
    >10 Opera 0.52%
    >11 Internet Explorer 4 0.37%

    Your previous number, which are the current figures (just to confuse
    things)
    Browser % of Total Visitors
    1 Internet Explorer 6.x 75.46%
    2 Netscape 6.x 8.49%
    3 Internet Explorer 5. 4.78%
    4 Netscape 4.x 3.01%
    5 Others 2.00%

    That gives an IE total of 80%. By your numbers IE has gone from 85% to
    80%. That seems rather significant to me.

    >>Don't _your_ (they aren't the only ones) statistics tell you something
    >>from that?

    >Yes, people using IE5 have moved to IE6 people who used
    >netscape have migrated to Firefox.

    That and that IE has lost market share.

    >>Anyway, it's all bollox, cos everybody in the world knows that 93.692%
    >>of statistics are made up :-D

    93.691% actually.

    >Ah but mine represent the other 6.308%

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

    Cliff on Cheers

    Matt Silberstein, Aug 15, 2005
  8. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:08:14 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    <> wrote:

    >>Yes, people using IE5 have moved to IE6 people who used
    >>netscape have migrated to Firefox.

    >That and that IE has lost market share.

    True, but it still has 10x the share of its nearest competitor
    and is the dominant browser.

    lets look again next year.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 15, 2005
  9. Imhotep

    Kevin Reiter Guest

    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    <snip>

    > RBS/Natwest currently mandate IE. FirstDirect (Midland, now HSBC) used to,
    > when I was with them. A friend with Barclays was unable to access e-banking
    > with Firefox, but I'm not sure of their official policy. I think that
    > Commerzbank recently kludged to allow it.

    Commerce Bank (in the US) has supported Firefox for over a year and a half
    now, since I've had an account with them. Don't know when they were
    "kludged to allow it", though, if that's who you were referring to..

    Natwest supports ".. a wide range of browsers."

    "We have tested the pages of the site with the following browsers:

    * Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 4.0, 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0 for PCs and
    4.5, 5.0 for Macintosh computers
    * Netscape Navigator Version 4.7x and 6.1 for PCs and Macintosh computers

    They also state the following:

    "We are committed to making our site more accessible and support the Web
    Accessibility Initiative (WAI). Our product directory has been designed to
    meet the WAI recommendations."

    http://www.natwest.com/accessibility/index.asp?navid=ACCESSIBILITY

    I think it's a step in the right direction for more banks to realize that
    people aren't only using IE, and code their pages appropriately. Not only
    banks, but other businesses as well.

    ... just my .02 ..

    -k

    Kevin Reiter, Aug 16, 2005
  10. "Kevin Reiter" <> wrote in message
    > Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    >
    > > RBS/Natwest currently mandate IE. FirstDirect (Midland, now HSBC) used

    to,
    > > when I was with them. A friend with Barclays was unable to access

    e-banking
    > > with Firefox, but I'm not sure of their official policy. I think that
    > > Commerzbank recently kludged to allow it.

    > Commerce Bank (in the US) has supported Firefox for over a year and a half
    > now, since I've had an account with them. Don't know when they were
    > "kludged to allow it", though, if that's who you were referring to..

    No, Commerzbank, as in "Commerzbank". I dunno, these Germans and their funny
    spelling... anyone would think that they didn't speak Amercian, of sumpfin
    ;o)

    (If you check back, youd see that *I* was the first to mention Commerce Bank
    & Trust in the US)

    > Natwest supports ".. a wide range of browsers."
    >
    > "We have tested the pages of the site with the following browsers:
    >
    > * Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 4.0, 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0 for PCs and
    > 4.5, 5.0 for Macintosh computers
    > * Netscape Navigator Version 4.7x and 6.1 for PCs and Macintosh computers

    Yup. That's the Natwest web site. But /not/ the Natwest eBanking web site...
    that's a link on the same page, and no longer seems to state a specific
    policy. Instead, they give you a link to see if it'll work.

    Firefox took a minor geological age to load the page, but came back with
    "OK". Which has to be a good thing... (even if the menu on the left doesn't
    display properly. It's that pixel size thing again)

    'Course, doesn't mean that you'd get telephone support on Firefox - that'll
    be with the T&Cs.

    > They also state the following:
    >
    > "We are committed to making our site more accessible and support the Web
    > Accessibility Initiative (WAI). Our product directory has been designed to
    > meet the WAI recommendations."

    Ditto and, after all, a legal requirement over here.

    H1K

    Hairy One Kenobi, Aug 16, 2005
  11. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:08:14 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>>Yes, people using IE5 have moved to IE6 people who used
    >>>netscape have migrated to Firefox.

    >>That and that IE has lost market share.

    > True, but it still has 10x the share of its nearest competitor
    > and is the dominant browser.
    >
    > lets look again next year.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    ...and Hyundai out sell Ferrari in total unit sales every year. It does not
    make a Ferrari a better car... and again, this post is about MS/US
    Entertain industry forcing their way upon the US gov to intentionally push
    linux and open source out. I will sue should this happen.

    Imhotep, Aug 16, 2005
  12. On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:42:48 GMT, in alt.computer.security , Imhotep
    <> in <sApMe.34747$>
    wrote:

    >Jim Watt wrote:

    >>>That and that IE has lost market share.

    >> True, but it still has 10x the share of its nearest competitor
    >> and is the dominant browser.
    >>
    >> lets look again next year.
    >> --
    >> Jim Watt
    >> http://www.gibnet.com

    >..and Hyundai out sell Ferrari in total unit sales every year. It does not
    >make a Ferrari a better car

    True, but not as powerful as one might think. GM used to say the same
    thing about Honda and Toyota, now those two companies make the most
    reliable cars in the world, at good prices, and have taken over almost
    every segment of the market.

    >... and again, this post is about MS/US
    >Entertain industry forcing their way upon the US gov to intentionally push
    >linux and open source out. I will sue should this happen.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    And now our bodies are oh so close and tight
    It never felt so good, it never felt so right
    And we're glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife
    C'mon! Hold on tight!
    C'mon! Hold on tight!

    Though it's cold and lonley in the deep dark night
    I can see paradise by the dashboard light
    Paradise by the dashboard light

    Jim Steinman

    Matt Silberstein, Aug 16, 2005
  13. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Matt Silberstein wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:42:48 GMT, in alt.computer.security , Imhotep
    > <> in <sApMe.34747$>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Jim Watt wrote:

    >>> True, but it still has 10x the share of its nearest competitor
    >>> and is the dominant browser.
    >>>
    >>> lets look again next year.
    >>> --
    >>> Jim Watt
    >>> http://www.gibnet.com

    >>..and Hyundai out sell Ferrari in total unit sales every year. It does not
    >>make a Ferrari a better car

    > True, but not as powerful as one might think. GM used to say the same
    > thing about Honda and Toyota, now those two companies make the most
    > reliable cars in the world, at good prices, and have taken over almost
    > every segment of the market.

    The point being is that quantity does NOT indictate quality...

    Honestly, I am just tried of that whole argument of "marketshare" when it
    comes to Windose. I am criticizing Microsnaught for it's bad (and illegal)
    business pratices. I am criticizing them for starting this bullshit IP laws
    (which if they had there way, they would patent the decimal system and make
    you pay them whenever you count something). I criticize them for forgetting
    about there clients. I criticize them for forgeting about what a free
    market is all about: Make the best product for the cheapest price...

    Again, what does that have to do with marketshare? All the markshare
    argument proves to me is that there are a lot of idiots out there...

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Aug 16, 2005
  14. On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:23:53 GMT, in alt.computer.security , Imhotep
    <> in <JPsMe.19464$>
    wrote:

    >Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:42:48 GMT, in alt.computer.security , Imhotep
    >> <> in <sApMe.34747$>
    >> wrote:

    >>>..and Hyundai out sell Ferrari in total unit sales every year. It does not
    >>>make a Ferrari a better car

    >> True, but not as powerful as one might think. GM used to say the same
    >> thing about Honda and Toyota, now those two companies make the most
    >> reliable cars in the world, at good prices, and have taken over almost
    >> every segment of the market.

    >The point being is that quantity does NOT indictate quality...
    >
    >Honestly, I am just tried of that whole argument of "marketshare" when it
    >comes to Windose. I am criticizing Microsnaught for it's bad (and illegal)
    >business pratices. I am criticizing them for starting this bullshit IP laws
    >(which if they had there way, they would patent the decimal system and make
    >you pay them whenever you count something). I criticize them for forgetting
    >about there clients. I criticize them for forgeting about what a free
    >market is all about: Make the best product for the cheapest price...
    >
    >Again, what does that have to do with marketshare? All the markshare
    >argument proves to me is that there are a lot of idiots out there...

    My point is not that quantity equal quality, but that quantity can
    lead to domination. I recommend fear rather than dismissal.

    Matt Silberstein, Aug 16, 2005
  15. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:42:48 GMT, Imhotep <> wrote:

    >..and Hyundai out sell Ferrari in total unit sales every year. It does not
    >make a Ferrari a better car...

    Uh? Irrelevent inaccurate diversion.

    >and again, this post is about MS/US
    >Entertain industry forcing their way upon the US gov to intentionally push
    >linux and open source out. I will sue should this happen.

    I thought it was about your prejudice against Microsoft.

    However the point of looking at browser statistics is to ensure
    that people using a facility get the best service and whilst a
    negligible number use Opera its not worth researching its quirks.

    Similarly I would not consider producing software for the Mac as
    there are no potential clients.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 17, 2005
  16. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:42:48 GMT, Imhotep <> wrote:
    >
    >>..and Hyundai out sell Ferrari in total unit sales every year. It does not
    >>make a Ferrari a better car...

    > Uh? Irrelevent inaccurate diversion.

    Not at all. But, constantly, using your browser stats is....

    >>and again, this post is about MS/US
    >>Entertain industry forcing their way upon the US gov to intentionally push
    >>linux and open source out. I will sue should this happen.

    > I thought it was about your prejudice against Microsoft.

    Whatever. You are so blinded that you can not even see your nose. Trying to
    educate you is just a waste of time.

    > However the point of looking at browser statistics is to ensure
    > that people using a facility get the best service and whilst a
    > negligible number use Opera its not worth researching its quirks.

    Let me tell you something. I do quite a lot of web designing. There is no
    excuse for not supporting all current browsers....Even worse, no gov on
    this planet should ever restrict access to gov information because certain
    lobbyist groups have money to bribe legislators to create bullshit laws. I
    do not care if they were pushing a linux only web site. The point is that
    access should never be restricted. Never.

    > Similarly I would not consider producing software for the Mac as
    > there are no potential clients.

    Not true. Mac software has doubled pretty much every year. It is also a far
    superior operating system than Windose is. Again Jim, you are being blinded
    into believing the MS is the only way to go.

    Microsoft is a Cancer.

    Im

    Imhotep, Aug 17, 2005
  17. On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:29:59 +0200, in alt.computer.security , Jim
    Watt <_way> in
    <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >Similarly I would not consider producing software for the Mac as
    >there are no potential clients.

    Now that is kind of silly. There are millions of potential clients. It
    all depends on how many different products are already competing for
    that niche. It could easily be that there is more potential for a
    product for the Mac than for the PC.

    Or is your point that they are too secure to need additional security
    products?

    Matt Silberstein, Aug 17, 2005
  18. Imhotep

    Casper Guest

    Smiling Wickedly, Jim Watt answered:
    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:08:14 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>>Yes, people using IE5 have moved to IE6 people who used
    >>>netscape have migrated to Firefox.

    >>That and that IE has lost market share.

    > True, but it still has 10x the share of its nearest competitor
    > and is the dominant browser.
    >
    > lets look again next year.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    Unfortunately your stats are flawed, as it is now OFFICIAL that Firefox
    has close to 20% NOT what you listed. Still NOT what IE has , but IE is
    done for.

    Casper, Aug 17, 2005
  19. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Matt Silberstein wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:29:59 +0200, in alt.computer.security , Jim
    > Watt <_way> in
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >>Similarly I would not consider producing software for the Mac as
    >>there are no potential clients.

    > Now that is kind of silly. There are millions of potential clients. It
    > all depends on how many different products are already competing for
    > that niche. It could easily be that there is more potential for a
    > product for the Mac than for the PC.
    >
    > Or is your point that they are too secure to need additional security
    > products?

    ....nice comeback...

    Imhotep, Aug 17, 2005
  20. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Casper wrote:

    > Smiling Wickedly, Jim Watt answered:

    >>>That and that IE has lost market share.

    >> True, but it still has 10x the share of its nearest competitor
    >> and is the dominant browser.
    >>
    >> lets look again next year.
    >> --
    >> Jim Watt
    >> http://www.gibnet.com

    > Unfortunately your stats are flawed, as it is now OFFICIAL that Firefox
    > has close to 20% NOT what you listed. Still NOT what IE has , but IE is
    > done for.

    ...that is what I have heard as well...

    Imhotep, Aug 17, 2005