    was supplying these but they have now run out. Does anyone know of any
    service provider that can supply this, and preferably either for free or for
    a one-time setup payment and with no calling charges for incoming calls?

    Anthony R. Gold, Jun 30, 2011

  2. On 6/30/2011 4:03 AM, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    > Apologies if this is off-charter, but does anyone know how to obtain a SIP
    > service that has a USA phone number for incoming calls? Apparently sipgate
    > was supplying these but they have now run out. Does anyone know of any
    > service provider that can supply this, and preferably either for free or for
    > a one-time setup payment and with no calling charges for incoming calls?

    Go through the list at this link and you should be able to locate one.
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/DID Service Providers

    Just a quick glance mind you but it appears there are quite a few on in
    the list including Google Voice so to paraphrase a well known song, you
    had better start checking the list and checking it twice... ;)

    Notice the work around to to get one working in Google Voice from
    outside the USA territory.

    GlowingBlueMist, Jun 30, 2011

  3. On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 04:56:46 -0500, GlowingBlueMist
    <> wrote:

    > On 6/30/2011 4:03 AM, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >> Apologies if this is off-charter, but does anyone know how to obtain a SIP
    >> service that has a USA phone number for incoming calls? Apparently sipgate
    >> was supplying these but they have now run out. Does anyone know of any
    >> service provider that can supply this, and preferably either for free or for
    >> a one-time setup payment and with no calling charges for incoming calls?

    > Go through the list at this link and you should be able to locate one.
    > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/DID Service Providers

    Thanks for the pointer but I have not yet found anyone who offers a USA DID
    phone number that can be received by SIP softphone or ATA without buying an
    outward calling plan that comes with monthly or annual subscription charges.

    > Just a quick glance mind you but it appears there are quite a few on in
    > the list including Google Voice so to paraphrase a well known song, you
    > had better start checking the list and checking it twice... ;)

    Is it possible to receive incoming calls made to Google Voice numbers using a
    SIP ATA or softphone? That would be a great solution. Please explain.

    Anthony R. Gold, Jun 30, 2011
  4. In article <>,
    Anthony R. Gold <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 04:56:46 -0500, GlowingBlueMist
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> On 6/30/2011 4:03 AM, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >>> Apologies if this is off-charter, but does anyone know how to obtain a SIP
    >>> service that has a USA phone number for incoming calls? Apparently sipgate
    >>> was supplying these but they have now run out. Does anyone know of any
    >>> service provider that can supply this, and preferably either for free or for
    >>> a one-time setup payment and with no calling charges for incoming calls?

    >> Go through the list at this link and you should be able to locate one.
    >> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/DID Service Providers

    >Thanks for the pointer but I have not yet found anyone who offers a USA DID
    >phone number that can be received by SIP softphone or ATA without buying an
    >outward calling plan that comes with monthly or annual subscription charges.

    http://www.ipkall.com/

    Limited area codes though.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Jun 30, 2011
  5. On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:37:57 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

    > http://www.ipkall.com/
    >
    > Limited area codes though.

    Thanks. Have you tried it? Losing the phone number after 30 days with no
    answered calls makes their service rather fragile.

    I completed the registration and received back an email with a phone number
    in Area Code (253). I then tried to log back into Ipkall using that phone
    number and the same email address to which the number had been sent and am
    now greeted by "<---Must be a valid email address" in crimson.

    Their forum at http://forum.voxilla.com/ipkall-support-forum/ mentions this
    is not an error message but then fails to explain how to proceed past it.

    BTW, limited phone numbers is really not a problem. Callers with cell phones
    won't care and calls from wired lines, except to very local numbers, is
    usually cheaper to out-of-state numbers than for intra-state calling because
    of the way tax is added. My own wired calling plans charge around 2.5 cents
    per min for out of state calls but 9.5 cents for non-local intra-state calls.

    Anthony R. Gold, Jun 30, 2011
  6. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Apologies if this is off-charter, but does anyone know how to obtain a SIP
    > service that has a USA phone number for incoming calls? Apparently sipgate
    > was supplying these but they have now run out. Does anyone know of any
    > service provider that can supply this, and preferably either for free or for
    > a one-time setup payment and with no calling charges for incoming calls?

    I think there is a bit of kidology going on with sipgate.com
    You are indeed given the impression that they have "run out" but have you managed to create
    an account, then add a DDI?

    Creating the account from outside the US is problematic, I think I had to try several proxies until
    I managed to create one.

    I just tried adding a number to an existing account and it let me have a 415 area code

    When I looked at this in detail in Oct 2009 there were area codes in the following states availible.

    Arizona
    California
    Colorado
    Indiana
    Nevada
    Oregon
    Washington
    and Utah

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jun 30, 2011
  7. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    ISWYM now, you even get that message if you try to sign up for an account, even if
    you have no intention of applying a US DDI.

    Lucky I have already got an account.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jun 30, 2011
  8. On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:20:33 +0100, "Graham." <> wrote:

    > ISWYM now, you even get that message if you try to sign up for an account, even if
    > you have no intention of applying a US DDI.

    I emailed an offer to port some of my wire line numbers from ATT and Verizon,
    but they replied:

    } thank you for your e-mail.
    } Unfortunately, we are not able to port US numbers into our service.

    > Lucky I have already got an account.

    Indeed!

    Anthony R. Gold, Jun 30, 2011
  9. On 6/30/2011 2:43 PM, Graham. wrote:
    > "Anthony R. Gold"<> wrote in message news:...
    >> Apologies if this is off-charter, but does anyone know how to obtain a SIP
    >> service that has a USA phone number for incoming calls? Apparently sipgate
    >> was supplying these but they have now run out. Does anyone know of any
    >> service provider that can supply this, and preferably either for free or for
    >> a one-time setup payment and with no calling charges for incoming calls?

    > I think there is a bit of kidology going on with sipgate.com
    > You are indeed given the impression that they have "run out" but have you managed to create
    > an account, then add a DDI?
    >
    > Creating the account from outside the US is problematic, I think I had to try several proxies until
    > I managed to create one.
    >
    > I just tried adding a number to an existing account and it let me have a 415 area code
    >
    > When I looked at this in detail in Oct 2009 there were area codes in the following states availible.
    >
    > Arizona
    > California
    > Colorado
    > Indiana
    > Nevada
    > Oregon
    > Washington
    > and Utah

    A quick check at the following link:

    http://www.sipgate.com/numbers/check

    shows they have up to 27 different states in the USA with numbers
    available. They are using a California exchange for the default if what
    you want is not available.

    Yes they appear to be restricting new numbers to people with a USA
    internet address but a proxy service with USA internet numbers available
    usually takes care of that problem from what I've heard.

    I wonder if people with an IP address of non-USA origin will see the
    same 27 state list if they go to the above link.

    GlowingBlueMist, Jun 30, 2011
  10. On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:42:29 -0500, GlowingBlueMist
    <> wrote:

    > A quick check at the following link:
    >
    > http://www.sipgate.com/numbers/check
    >
    > shows they have up to 27 different states in the USA with numbers
    > available. They are using a California exchange for the default if what
    > you want is not available.

    Okay - but then click the orange "Sign up now!" box :-(

    > Yes they appear to be restricting new numbers to people with a USA
    > internet address but a proxy service with USA internet numbers available
    > usually takes care of that problem from what I've heard.
    >
    > I wonder if people with an IP address of non-USA origin will see the
    > same 27 state list if they go to the above link.

    There is no such a list anywhere; there is merely the claim of having numbers
    from 27 unlisted states, but clicking "Sign up now!" will reveal the contrary
    truth, and that truth is irrespective of one's IP address.

    Anthony R. Gold, Jun 30, 2011
  11. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:37:57 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.ipkall.com/
    >>
    >> Limited area codes though.

    > Thanks. Have you tried it? Losing the phone number after 30 days with no
    > answered calls makes their service rather fragile.
    >
    > I completed the registration and received back an email with a phone number
    > in Area Code (253). I then tried to log back into Ipkall using that phone
    > number and the same email address to which the number had been sent and am
    > now greeted by "<---Must be a valid email address" in crimson.
    >
    > Their forum at http://forum.voxilla.com/ipkall-support-forum/ mentions this
    > is not an error message but then fails to explain how to proceed past it.

    That's because it's just a statement of fact/information, if you've got that far and had
    the DDI emailed to you, then you have a live account.

    The concept with IPCall is different compared to most other providers,
    With most providers you registered your device with their server.
    With IPCall (and UKDDI) you point the service to your device.
    So lets say you have an IP phone set up to use voipcheap.co.uk for outgoing calls, and your account
    is tonygold

    There are two fields in the user settings page,
    In SIP Phone Number you put "tonygold"
    In SIP Proxy you put "sip.voipcheap.co.uk"
    As you can see the so called SIP Phone number is often non-numerical!

    Dial the US number and your IP phone should ring

    Try this it always works

    SIP Phone Number "166"
    SIP Proxy "sip.voipfone.co.uk"

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jun 30, 2011
  12. On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 22:56:05 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
    <> wrote:

    > There is no such a list anywhere;

    Sorry, that was wrong, there is indeed a list - but still it's one of states
    for which sipgate has no numbers.

    Anthony R. Gold, Jun 30, 2011
  13. On 6/30/2011 5:13 PM, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 22:56:05 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> There is no such a list anywhere;

    > Sorry, that was wrong, there is indeed a list - but still it's one of states
    > for which sipgate has no numbers.

    I see the problem now. As I had no actual interest in obtaining an
    number from them I had not previously tried the "Sign up now!" button.

    Oh well, with luck and a little time they will get some more numbers for
    use somewhere. In the mean time ipkall.com appears to still have
    numbers, even if they are limited to Washington state.

    GlowingBlueMist, Jun 30, 2011
  14. On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:19:47 +0100, "Graham." <> wrote:

    > "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:37:57 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.ipkall.com/
    >>>
    >>> Limited area codes though.

    >> Thanks. Have you tried it? Losing the phone number after 30 days with no
    >> answered calls makes their service rather fragile.
    >>
    >> I completed the registration and received back an email with a phone number
    >> in Area Code (253). I then tried to log back into Ipkall using that phone
    >> number and the same email address to which the number had been sent and am
    >> now greeted by "<---Must be a valid email address" in crimson.
    >>
    >> Their forum at http://forum.voxilla.com/ipkall-support-forum/ mentions this
    >> is not an error message but then fails to explain how to proceed past it.
    >>

    > That's because it's just a statement of fact/information, if you've got that far and had
    > the DDI emailed to you, then you have a live account.

    Ah, I didn't realise that page was the end of the line and could be edited
    directly. I was expecting to be forwarded somewhere else for configuration.

    > The concept with IPCall is different compared to most other providers,
    > With most providers you registered your device with their server.
    > With IPCall (and UKDDI) you point the service to your device.
    > So lets say you have an IP phone set up to use voipcheap.co.uk for outgoing calls, and your account
    > is tonygold
    >
    > There are two fields in the user settings page,
    > In SIP Phone Number you put "tonygold"
    > In SIP Proxy you put "sip.voipcheap.co.uk"
    > As you can see the so called SIP Phone number is often non-numerical!
    >
    > Dial the US number and your IP phone should ring
    >
    > Try this it always works
    >
    > SIP Phone Number "166"
    > SIP Proxy "sip.voipfone.co.uk"

    Many thanks. First 166 worked and was funny and then I copied its format to
    and got calls successfully forwarded to my own voipcheap account.

    But no luck yet with sipgate.

    For sipgate I used my "11xxxxx" (seven digit ID number) as the SIP Phone
    Number and "sipgate.co.uk" as proxy but when I called the IPKall USA phone
    number I received a message about the call not being completed because of
    network error 104 which I understand translates to "host requires
    authentication", whatever that implies. Any ideas?

    Anthony R. Gold, Jul 1, 2011
  15. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:19:47 +0100, "Graham." <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message news:...

    >>> Thanks. Have you tried it? Losing the phone number after 30 days with no
    >>> answered calls makes their service rather fragile.
    >>>
    >>> I completed the registration and received back an email with a phone number
    >>> in Area Code (253). I then tried to log back into Ipkall using that phone
    >>> number and the same email address to which the number had been sent and am
    >>> now greeted by "<---Must be a valid email address" in crimson.
    >>>
    >>> Their forum at http://forum.voxilla.com/ipkall-support-forum/ mentions this
    >>> is not an error message but then fails to explain how to proceed past it.
    >>>

    >> That's because it's just a statement of fact/information, if you've got that far and had
    >> the DDI emailed to you, then you have a live account.

    > Ah, I didn't realise that page was the end of the line and could be edited
    > directly. I was expecting to be forwarded somewhere else for configuration.
    >
    >> The concept with IPCall is different compared to most other providers,
    >> With most providers you registered your device with their server.
    >> With IPCall (and UKDDI) you point the service to your device.
    >> So lets say you have an IP phone set up to use voipcheap.co.uk for outgoing calls, and your account
    >> is tonygold
    >>
    >> There are two fields in the user settings page,
    >> In SIP Phone Number you put "tonygold"
    >> In SIP Proxy you put "sip.voipcheap.co.uk"
    >> As you can see the so called SIP Phone number is often non-numerical!
    >>
    >> Dial the US number and your IP phone should ring
    >>
    >> Try this it always works
    >>
    >> SIP Phone Number "166"
    >> SIP Proxy "sip.voipfone.co.uk"

    > Many thanks. First 166 worked and was funny and then I copied its format to
    > and got calls successfully forwarded to my own voipcheap account.
    >
    > But no luck yet with sipgate.
    >
    > For sipgate I used my "11xxxxx" (seven digit ID number) as the SIP Phone
    > Number and "sipgate.co.uk" as proxy but when I called the IPKall USA phone
    > number I received a message about the call not being completed because of
    > network error 104 which I understand translates to "host requires
    > authentication", whatever that implies. Any ideas?

    You can't point a URI to sipgate.co.uk they block it somehow, it's a known issue.

    Use an account from orbtalk.co.uk instead. The proxy is talk.orbtalk.co.uk

    I have several Orbtalk accounts, I use them as "magnets" for UKDDI numbers, that work
    in a similar way to IPCall.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jul 1, 2011
  16. On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 01:47:41 +0100, "Graham." <> wrote:

    > You can't point a URI to sipgate.co.uk they block it somehow, it's a known issue.

    Many thanks. I can now stop banging my head against the wall on that one.

    Old question no-one answered: I can connect more than one ATA or softphone to
    sipgate but if I cause a device or softphone to register with VOIPCheap it
    appears to disconnect any device or softphone that had already been
    registered. Is that my finger problem or another "known issue"?

    Anthony R. Gold, Jul 1, 2011
  17. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 01:47:41 +0100, "Graham." <> wrote:
    >
    >> You can't point a URI to sipgate.co.uk they block it somehow, it's a known issue.

    > Many thanks. I can now stop banging my head against the wall on that one.
    >
    > Old question no-one answered: I can connect more than one ATA or softphone to
    > sipgate but if I cause a device or softphone to register with VOIPCheap it
    > appears to disconnect any device or softphone that had already been
    > registered. Is that my finger problem or another "known issue"?

    The only device I am aware of that disconnects itself if it detects a registration elsewhere
    is Betamax's own softphone. As I think I mentioned before generic softphones like X-Lite
    don't exhibit this "feature".

    Back to sipgate.com for a moment, I am pretty sure that since I managed to sign up for my
    account they have put an additional level of security that involves a SMS sent to a US cell phone
    As I don't know anyone who I could ask to receive such a messages on my behalf that would be a show-stopper for me.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jul 1, 2011
  18. On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 12:03:23 +0100, "Graham." <> wrote:

    > "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 01:47:41 +0100, "Graham." <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> You can't point a URI to sipgate.co.uk they block it somehow, it's a known issue.

    >> Many thanks. I can now stop banging my head against the wall on that one.
    >>
    >> Old question no-one answered: I can connect more than one ATA or softphone to
    >> sipgate but if I cause a device or softphone to register with VOIPCheap it
    >> appears to disconnect any device or softphone that had already been
    >> registered. Is that my finger problem or another "known issue"?

    > The only device I am aware of that disconnects itself if it detects a registration elsewhere
    > is Betamax's own softphone. As I think I mentioned before generic softphones like X-Lite
    > don't exhibit this "feature".

    I believe I had that problem with a different softphone kicking my Linksys
    ATA off registration and vice-versa. I'll go back and revisit the matter.

    > Back to sipgate.com for a moment, I am pretty sure that since I managed to sign up for my
    > account they have put an additional level of security that involves a SMS sent to a US cell phone
    > As I don't know anyone who I could ask to receive such a messages on my behalf that would be a show-stopper for me.

    That would not cause me a problem, even if a real cell phone was needed. But
    couldn't you toss them any old US phone number, including say a Google Voice
    one? I don't know that the sender of an SMS can detect whether or not the
    destination US number is assigned to a cell phone.

    Anthony R. Gold, Jul 1, 2011
  19. Anthony R. Gold

    Steve Hayes Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 01:47:41 +0100, Graham. wrote:

    > "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:19:47 +0100, "Graham." <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    >> But no luck yet with sipgate.
    >>
    >> For sipgate I used my "11xxxxx" (seven digit ID number) as the SIP
    >> Phone Number and "sipgate.co.uk" as proxy but when I called the IPKall
    >> USA phone number I received a message about the call not being
    >> completed because of network error 104 which I understand translates to
    >> "host requires authentication", whatever that implies. Any ideas?

    > You can't point a URI to sipgate.co.uk they block it somehow, it's a
    > known issue.
    >
    > Use an account from orbtalk.co.uk instead. The proxy is
    > talk.orbtalk.co.uk
    >
    > I have several Orbtalk accounts, I use them as "magnets" for UKDDI
    > numbers, that work in a similar way to IPCall.

    Once upon a time, IPCall did work with Sipgate but Sipgate itself was
    notoriously flaky. Sipgate did something to their network that fixed it
    and they've been pretty good ever since but the fix blocked incoming URI
    connections and IPCall wouldn't work any more.

    I think Sipgate's problems were due to some sort of attacks on / abuse of
    their network and the block was their answer.

    If you're using an ATA on a static IP, you can try pointing IPCall
    directly at the ATA (i.e. put your numeric IP address in place of
    sipgate.co.uk), still using your 8 digit Sipgate number as the account so
    that the ATA accepts the calls. That used to work for me but I haven't
    used it in years. It'll probably work via a dynamic DNS service too.

    --
    Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK -- remove colours from address

    Steve Hayes, Jul 1, 2011
  20. On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 22:42:36 +0000 (UTC), Steve Hayes
    <> wrote:

    > Once upon a time, IPCall did work with Sipgate but Sipgate itself was
    > notoriously flaky. Sipgate did something to their network that fixed it
    > and they've been pretty good ever since but the fix blocked incoming URI
    > connections and IPCall wouldn't work any more.
    >
    > I think Sipgate's problems were due to some sort of attacks on / abuse of
    > their network and the block was their answer.

    IPKall say the issue is that sipgate rejects "anonymous calls", by which they
    mean connections attempted by parties with whom they have no registered
    peering arrangements. I am still pursuing the matter.
    http://forum.voxilla.com/ipkall-sup...l-sipgate-co-uk-account-60323.html#post161929

    > If you're using an ATA on a static IP, you can try pointing IPCall
    > directly at the ATA (i.e. put your numeric IP address in place of
    > sipgate.co.uk), still using your 8 digit Sipgate number as the account so
    > that the ATA accepts the calls. That used to work for me but I haven't
    > used it in years. It'll probably work via a dynamic DNS service too.

    Thanks, but that would not achieve my primary objective of being able to pick
    up calls made to the IPKall US number at multiple locations.

    Anthony R. Gold, Jul 2, 2011