    is entitled to sell replacement chips for use in used Lexmark toner
    cartridges

    http://www.scc-inc.com/special/oemwarfare/lexmark_vs_scc.htm

    Mutley, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Mutley

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:58:03 +1300, Mutley wrote:

    > FYI.
    >
    > The United States Copyright Office ruled late Tuesday afternoon in
    > favor of Static Control Components (SCC) in their fight against
    > Lexmark International. "The ruling gives Static Control a major
    > victory and validates Static's stance that the Digital Millennium
    > Copyright Act allows SCC to sell a chip that enables cartridges to be
    > remanufactured. This decision also supports Static's position that it
    > is entitled to sell replacement chips for use in used Lexmark toner
    > cartridges
    >
    > http://www.scc-inc.com/special/oemwarfare/lexmark_vs_scc.htm

    I cringe to imagine the repercussions if this appeal had failed.

    Just imagine - for any product, whether computer-related or not - just
    stick in a chip and control your customer. For example, cars whose engines
    will only start if the tyres, all electrical components, have a chip
    authorised by the car manufacturer.

    Evil Bastard, Nov 7, 2003