    shipping options and will take visa (or Paypal at a pinch) and will
    actually deal with overseas customers?
    Geoff
    geoffm, Jun 19, 2005

  2. geoffm

    geoffm Guest

    Correction, the Hauppage box is $493 at PP.co.nz
    Geoff
    geoffm, Jun 19, 2005

  3. geoffm

    Andrew Dixon Guest

    geoffm wrote:
    > I have a Pixelview USB tv box which is the biggest pile of steaming
    > manure I have ever paid money for. Dropped frames, 5fps framerates,
    > poor, echo-y and missing audio, etc.
    > Sick of the thing, I am looking at getting a Hauppage WinTV-PVR USB2
    > box. It has to be an external tuner as I only have a laptop. Hauppage
    > stuff seems to have a good rep, and a hardware encoder. NZ price is
    > around $430 from pp.co.nz, but listed at $US128 at Amazon.
    > Unfortutately, they don't ship overseas, so...
    > Any recommendations on US computer cos with good prices, a variety of
    > shipping options and will take visa (or Paypal at a pinch) and will
    > actually deal with overseas customers?
    > Geoff

    Hi Geoff,

    I can't help you with a suggestion for somewhere to buy, but I just
    wanted to make sure you check that the tuner is PAL. I know that for
    the Hauppauge PCI PVR series of tuners that in the US they sell NTSC
    only versions, i.e., a different version from what is sold here. Not
    sure about the external units, but it's worth making sure.

    Andy
    Andrew Dixon, Jun 19, 2005
  4. geoffm

    Tony Guest

    On 19 Jun 2005 06:05:02 -0500, geoffm <>
    wrote:

    >I have a Pixelview USB tv box which is the biggest pile of steaming
    >manure I have ever paid money for. Dropped frames, 5fps framerates,
    >poor, echo-y and missing audio, etc.
    >Sick of the thing, I am looking at getting a Hauppage WinTV-PVR USB2
    >box. It has to be an external tuner as I only have a laptop. Hauppage
    >stuff seems to have a good rep, and a hardware encoder. NZ price is
    >around $430 from pp.co.nz, but listed at $US128 at Amazon.
    >Unfortutately, they don't ship overseas, so...
    >Any recommendations on US computer cos with good prices, a variety of
    >shipping options and will take visa (or Paypal at a pinch) and will
    >actually deal with overseas customers?
    >Geoff

    And does it support NZ Cannels and Pall.

    Plus do not bother with USB as its just to slow, that is your Problem and no
    hardware encoding..

    Think again..
    Tony, Jun 20, 2005
  5. geoffm

    Richard Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > And does it support NZ Cannels and Pall.
    >

    > Plus do not bother with USB as its just to slow, that is your Problem and no
    > hardware encoding..
    >

    > Think again..

    dse have a cheap cardbus tuner if you have the slots on the laptop. doesnt have
    a hardware mpeg codec on it but for just watching TV thats not an issue. Search
    for xh8282 on www.dse.co.nz
    Richard, Jun 20, 2005
  6. geoffm

    shannon Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > On 19 Jun 2005 06:05:02 -0500, geoffm <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I have a Pixelview USB tv box which is the biggest pile of steaming
    >>manure I have ever paid money for. Dropped frames, 5fps framerates,
    >>poor, echo-y and missing audio, etc.
    >>Sick of the thing, I am looking at getting a Hauppage WinTV-PVR USB2
    >>box. It has to be an external tuner as I only have a laptop. Hauppage
    >>stuff seems to have a good rep, and a hardware encoder. NZ price is
    >>around $430 from pp.co.nz, but listed at $US128 at Amazon.
    >>Unfortutately, they don't ship overseas, so...
    >>Any recommendations on US computer cos with good prices, a variety of
    >>shipping options and will take visa (or Paypal at a pinch) and will
    >>actually deal with overseas customers?
    >>Geoff

    > And does it support NZ Cannels and Pall.

    yes

    > Plus do not bother with USB as its just to slow, that is your Problem and no
    > hardware encoding..

    Hauppauge Wintv pvr usb2 uses hardware encoding and USB 2.0 at 12Mbit/s
    it works on usb 1.1 but limits to 6Mbit/s

    http://krome.co.nz/products/product_haup_pvrusb.htm

    > Think again..

    Why don't you find out what you're bloody talking about.
    shannon, Jun 20, 2005
  7. geoffm

    Tony Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:01:40 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >> On 19 Jun 2005 06:05:02 -0500, geoffm <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a Pixelview USB tv box which is the biggest pile of steaming
    >>>manure I have ever paid money for. Dropped frames, 5fps framerates,
    >>>poor, echo-y and missing audio, etc.
    >>>Sick of the thing, I am looking at getting a Hauppage WinTV-PVR USB2
    >>>box. It has to be an external tuner as I only have a laptop. Hauppage
    >>>stuff seems to have a good rep, and a hardware encoder. NZ price is
    >>>around $430 from pp.co.nz, but listed at $US128 at Amazon.
    >>>Unfortutately, they don't ship overseas, so...
    >>>Any recommendations on US computer cos with good prices, a variety of
    >>>shipping options and will take visa (or Paypal at a pinch) and will
    >>>actually deal with overseas customers?
    >>>Geoff

    >> And does it support NZ Cannels and Pall.

    >yes
    >

    >> Plus do not bother with USB as its just to slow, that is your Problem and no
    >> hardware encoding..

    >Hauppauge Wintv pvr usb2 uses hardware encoding and USB 2.0 at 12Mbit/s
    >it works on usb 1.1 but limits to 6Mbit/s
    >
    >http://krome.co.nz/products/product_haup_pvrusb.htm
    >

    >> Think again..
    >>

    >Why don't you find out what you're bloody talking about.

    And why don't you piss off.
    Tony, Jun 20, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    says...
    > I have a Pixelview USB tv box which is the biggest pile of steaming
    > manure I have ever paid money for. Dropped frames, 5fps framerates,
    > poor, echo-y and missing audio, etc.
    > Sick of the thing, I am looking at getting a Hauppage WinTV-PVR USB2
    > box. It has to be an external tuner as I only have a laptop. Hauppage
    > stuff seems to have a good rep, and a hardware encoder. NZ price is
    > around $430 from pp.co.nz, but listed at $US128 at Amazon.
    > Unfortutately, they don't ship overseas, so...
    > Any recommendations on US computer cos with good prices, a variety of
    > shipping options and will take visa (or Paypal at a pinch) and will
    > actually deal with overseas customers?
    > Geoff

    Have a look at this one - it's a D-link usb w. hardware encoding
    mpg1,2,4 and tv tuner (they make one without tuner as well).

    It seems to work well going on reviews I've read but apparently only
    works with the included Intervideo (WinDVD) software.

    Considerably cheaper than the Hauppage you quoted. I was looking at the
    Plextor (around NZ$300) one when this one appeared on the scene, and the
    Plextor one seems to've gone from the websites?!? I only need it as an
    interface between monitor and/or DVD writer and the VCR myself.

    cheers, -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Jun 20, 2005
  9. geoffm

    geoffm Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:01:40 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >Hauppauge Wintv pvr usb2 uses hardware encoding and USB 2.0 at 12Mbit/s
    >it works on usb 1.1 but limits to 6Mbit/s
    >
    >http://krome.co.nz/products/product_haup_pvrusb.htm

    Thats the one I was looking at - except they cost half as much in the
    US.
    I have found a couple of places that will sell overseas - but only
    take payment by bank draft / wire transfer. IIRC, this costs 20-30
    dollars to send (and costs money to recieve as well)
    Geoff
    geoffm, Jun 20, 2005
  10. geoffm

    geoffm Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:42:21 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >
    >> And does it support NZ Cannels and Pall.
    >>

    >> Plus do not bother with USB as its just to slow, that is your Problem and no
    >> hardware encoding..
    >>

    >> Think again..

    >dse have a cheap cardbus tuner if you have the slots on the laptop. doesnt have
    >a hardware mpeg codec on it but for just watching TV thats not an issue. Search
    >for xh8282 on www.dse.co.nz

    Does Cardbus have less CPU overhead than USB2? I have the spare slots,
    so could use one of these. The aim is to capture some video (as well
    as watch TV) and this seem sto be the main problem.
    Geoff
    geoffm, Jun 20, 2005
  11. geoffm

    Richard Guest

    geoffm wrote:

    > Does Cardbus have less CPU overhead than USB2? I have the spare slots,
    > so could use one of these. The aim is to capture some video (as well
    > as watch TV) and this seem sto be the main problem.
    > Geoff

    Well it is basically PCI so should be good, anyway, its DSE so just take it back
    if it sucks ;)
    Richard, Jun 20, 2005
  12. geoffm

    shannon Guest

    geoffm wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:01:40 +1200, shannon <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hauppauge Wintv pvr usb2 uses hardware encoding and USB 2.0 at 12Mbit/s
    >>it works on usb 1.1 but limits to 6Mbit/s
    >>
    >>http://krome.co.nz/products/product_haup_pvrusb.htm
    >>

    > Thats the one I was looking at - except they cost half as much in the
    > US.
    > I have found a couple of places that will sell overseas - but only
    > take payment by bank draft / wire transfer. IIRC, this costs 20-30
    > dollars to send (and costs money to recieve as well)
    > Geoff

    The US deals will probably be for the ntsc tuner version
    shannon, Jun 20, 2005
  13. geoffm

    JohnO Guest

    I can assure you that the US sourced PVR cards are fine for recording
    from a composite or s-video source such as SkyTV decoder. What they
    will not do is tune to uhf/vhf tv broadcasts.
    JohnO, Jun 20, 2005
  14. geoffm

    JohnO Guest

    Warning folks - this is the same Woger Sheppard that tried to tell us
    that Tivo cannot be made to work in NZ despite articles about NZ Tivo
    users being put under his nose.

    The Hauppauge external PVR boxes are USB2. Thats over 400Mbit/sec,
    Woger. Just how much bandwidth do you think you need? Well, regular
    MPEG video is about 6Mbit/sec so I think USB2 should handle it eh?

    And the Haupauge ones most certainly are hardware encoding.

    As per usual, ignore Woger's claptrap.
    JohnO, Jun 20, 2005
  15. geoffm

    Tony Guest

    On 20 Jun 2005 01:07:59 -0700, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >Warning folks - this is the same Woger Sheppard that tried to tell us
    >that Tivo cannot be made to work in NZ despite articles about NZ Tivo
    >users being put under his nose.
    >
    >The Hauppauge external PVR boxes are USB2. Thats over 400Mbit/sec,

    NO ITS NOT, AS IT DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF USB 2 YOU HAVE GO READ THE DATA I
    POSTED FOR USB 2

    >Woger. Just how much bandwidth do you think you need? Well, regular
    >MPEG video is about 6Mbit/sec so I think USB2 should handle it eh?

    ITS NOT THE BANDWITH ITS THE COMPUTER..
    >And the Haupauge ones most certainly are hardware encoding.
    >
    >As per usual, ignore Woger's claptrap.

    NO YOUHAVE THE CLAP NOT ME.

    I HAVE SEEN A MOUSE SLOW DOWN BECAUSE OF USB 1 AND THAT IS A SLOW DEVICE.
    Tony, Jun 20, 2005
  16. geoffm

    mark Guest

    shannon <> wrote in news:42b61586$:

    >> And does it support NZ Cannels and Pall.

    > yes
    >

    >> Plus do not bother with USB as its just to slow, that is your Problem
    >> and no hardware encoding..

    > Hauppauge Wintv pvr usb2 uses hardware encoding and USB 2.0 at
    > 12Mbit/s it works on usb 1.1 but limits to 6Mbit/s
    >
    > http://krome.co.nz/products/product_haup_pvrusb.htm
    >

    >> Think again..
    >>

    > Why don't you find out what you're bloody talking about.

    Woger tries not to think and type at the same time. All those adds about
    not drinking and driving have confused him.

    --
    ---

    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message.
    Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?

    mark, Jun 20, 2005
  17. geoffm

    JohnO Guest

    Woger demostrated once again that he's an incompetent gibbering old
    fool when he wrote:
    > On 20 Jun 2005 01:07:59 -0700, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Warning folks - this is the same Woger Sheppard that tried to tell us
    > >that Tivo cannot be made to work in NZ despite articles about NZ Tivo
    > >users being put under his nose.
    > >
    > >The Hauppauge external PVR boxes are USB2. Thats over 400Mbit/sec,

    > NO ITS NOT, AS IT DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF USB 2 YOU HAVE GO READ THE DATA I
    > POSTED FOR USB 2

    No thanks Woger, I'll stick to authoratative sources, not your ill
    informed nonsense.

    TV Quality MPEG is around 6Mbit/sec. Are you seriously so
    ignorant/deranged that you don't believe USB2 device cannot easily
    handle this many times over?

    > >Woger. Just how much bandwidth do you think you need? Well, regular
    > >MPEG video is about 6Mbit/sec so I think USB2 should handle it eh?

    > ITS NOT THE BANDWITH ITS THE COMPUTER..

    OK, so if you are still using your TRS-80 you may have a point. However
    if a computer cannot handle MPEG through a USB2 connection it won't do
    significantly better through PCI you numbskull.

    > >And the Haupauge ones most certainly are hardware encoding.
    > >
    > >As per usual, ignore Woger's claptrap.

    > NO YOUHAVE THE CLAP NOT ME.
    >
    > I HAVE SEEN A MOUSE SLOW DOWN BECAUSE OF USB 1 AND THAT IS A SLOW DEVICE.

    Do try to keep up Woger, we are talking abut USB2 not USB1. And you are
    so clueless you probably plugged the mouse into the LAN port.
    JohnO, Jun 20, 2005
  18. geoffm

    geoffm Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:36:19 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >geoffm wrote:
    >
    >> Does Cardbus have less CPU overhead than USB2? I have the spare slots,
    >> so could use one of these. The aim is to capture some video (as well
    >> as watch TV) and this seem sto be the main problem.
    >> Geoff

    >Well it is basically PCI so should be good, anyway, its DSE so just take it back
    >if it sucks ;)

    Ta for that - i see they are in stock along the road, so I guess it is
    time to go shopping...
    Anyone with a supercomputer with USB2 want a TV tuner box..
    Geoff
    geoffm, Jun 20, 2005