    Peter M Guest

    Hi can I add logon details to a shortcut URL link.?

    Thanks..

    Peter M, Jan 19, 2009

  2. Peter  M

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Hi can I add logon details to a shortcut URL link.?

    That depends on the browser of course - but you don't say.

    With the browser open - try pressing F1.

    It also depends on the "logon" - which again, you don't say - it may not
    be supported on the backend.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jan 19, 2009

  3. Peter  M

    Richard Guest

    Peter M wrote:

    > Hi can I add logon details to a shortcut URL link.?
    >

    > Thanks..

    No, http basic authentication isnt supported via the address, has not
    being for quite some time now.

    And form based never was.

    Richard, Jan 19, 2009
  4. Peter  M

    Enkidu Guest

    Enkidu, Jan 19, 2009
  5. Peter  M

    Peter M Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:53:58 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>

    >> Hi can I add logon details to a shortcut URL link.?

    >That depends on the browser of course - but you don't say.
    >
    >With the browser open - try pressing F1.
    >
    >It also depends on the "logon" - which again, you don't say - it may not
    >be supported on the backend.

    IE8 RC1 and to log into Clear.net usage meter using a desktop URL link.

    Accc No. and Password.

    Peter M, Jan 20, 2009
  6. Peter  M

    Peter M Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:23:50 +1300, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >Peter M wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi can I add logon details to a shortcut URL link.?
    >>

    >Some web server will not pass through the login details in the URL, eg
    >
    >https://mylogin:
    >
    >Reading between the lines you might be running into this, or similar:
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;834489
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    This is not secure type login as all I want to be able to do is to log in and
    read my usage details, from just a click from my desktop..

    Peter M, Jan 20, 2009
  7. In message <>, Peter M wrote:

    > ... all I want to be able to do is to log in
    > and read my usage details, from just a click from my desktop..

    Try writing a custom web-scraping script.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 20, 2009
  8. Peter  M

    Enkidu Guest

    Peter M wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:23:50 +1300, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> Peter M wrote:
    >>> Hi can I add logon details to a shortcut URL link.?
    >>>

    >> Some web server will not pass through the login details in the URL, eg
    >>
    >> http(s)://mylogin:
    >>
    >> Reading between the lines you might be running into this, or similar:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;834489

    > This is not secure type login as all I want to be able to do is to log in and
    > read my usage details, from just a click from my desktop..

    As far as I know the only way to pass login and password to an
    application directly via a URL is as I gave above. It doesn't have to be
    https - it can be http.

    If the login page is in fact a form, then you *might* be able to connect
    with a URL of the form:

    http://www.mysite.co.nz?username=cliffp&password=mypassword

    but, the field names 'username', 'password' may not be as above and
    there may be other parameters that are needed. Finally, there may be
    Javascript or other routines to obfuscate the username and password so
    the URL might be something like:

    http://www.mysite.co.nz?session=QW3vcevvf8kksMMkQ

    One way to find out what the URL should be is if you use Firefox to
    install Live Headers and look at what actually passes between the you
    and the site.

    When I was using the Telecom JetStream usage page I had to write a
    script to login and scrape the details from the usage page.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Linux is theft.

    Enkidu, Jan 20, 2009
  9. Peter  M

    Enkidu Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Peter M wrote:
    >> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:23:50 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Some web server will not pass through the login details in the URL, eg
    >>>
    >>> http(s)://mylogin:
    >>>
    >>> Reading between the lines you might be running into this, or similar:
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;834489

    >> This is not secure type login as all I want to be able to do is to log
    >> in and
    >> read my usage details, from just a click from my desktop..
    >>

    > As far as I know the only way to pass login and password to an
    > application directly via a URL is as I gave above. It doesn't have to be
    > https - it can be http.
    >
    > If the login page is in fact a form, then you *might* be able to connect
    > with a URL of the form:
    >
    > http://www.mysite.co.nz?username=cliffp&password=mypassword
    >
    > but, the field names 'username', 'password' may not be as above and
    > there may be other parameters that are needed. Finally, there may be
    > Javascript or other routines to obfuscate the username and password so
    > the URL might be something like:
    >
    > http://www.mysite.co.nz?session=QW3vcevvf8kksMMkQ
    >
    > One way to find out what the URL should be is if you use Firefox to
    > install Live Headers and look at what actually passes between the you
    > and the site.
    >
    > When I was using the Telecom JetStream usage page I had to write a
    > script to login and scrape the details from the usage page.

    That last is not true. Someone else wrote the script, and I modified it
    to fit my needs.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Linux is theft.

    Enkidu, Jan 20, 2009
  10. Peter  M

    Peter M Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:46:45 +1300, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >Peter M wrote:

    >>> Some web server will not pass through the login details in the URL, eg
    >>>
    >>> http(s)://mylogin:
    >>>
    >>> Reading between the lines you might be running into this, or similar:
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;834489

    >> This is not secure type login as all I want to be able to do is to log in and
    >> read my usage details, from just a click from my desktop..
    >>

    >As far as I know the only way to pass login and password to an
    >application directly via a URL is as I gave above. It doesn't have to be
    >https - it can be http.
    >
    >If the login page is in fact a form, then you *might* be able to connect
    >with a URL of the form:
    >
    >http://www.mysite.co.nz?username=cliffp&password=mypassword
    >
    >but, the field names 'username', 'password' may not be as above and
    >there may be other parameters that are needed. Finally, there may be
    >Javascript or other routines to obfuscate the username and password so
    >the URL might be something like:
    >
    >http://www.mysite.co.nz?session=QW3vcevvf8kksMMkQ
    >
    >One way to find out what the URL should be is if you use Firefox to
    >install Live Headers and look at what actually passes between the you
    >and the site.
    >
    >When I was using the Telecom JetStream usage page I had to write a
    >script to login and scrape the details from the usage page.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    Here is the path to the logon page

    https://www.telstraclear.co.nz/tools/usagemeter/index.cfm?s=c

    Peter M, Jan 20, 2009
  11. Peter  M

    Enkidu Guest

    Peter M wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:46:45 +1300, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> Peter M wrote:

    >>> This is not secure type login as all I want to be able to do is to log in and
    >>> read my usage details, from just a click from my desktop..
    >>>

    >> As far as I know the only way to pass login and password to an
    >> application directly via a URL is as I gave above. It doesn't have to be
    >> https - it can be http.
    >>
    >> If the login page is in fact a form, then you *might* be able to connect
    >> with a URL of the form:
    >>
    >> http://www.mysite.co.nz?username=cliffp&password=mypassword
    >>
    >> but, the field names 'username', 'password' may not be as above and
    >> there may be other parameters that are needed. Finally, there may be
    >> Javascript or other routines to obfuscate the username and password so
    >> the URL might be something like:
    >>
    >> http://www.mysite.co.nz?session=QW3vcevvf8kksMMkQ
    >>
    >> One way to find out what the URL should be is if you use Firefox to
    >> install Live Headers and look at what actually passes between the you
    >> and the site.
    >>
    >> When I was using the Telecom JetStream usage page I had to write a
    >> script to login and scrape the details from the usage page.

    > Here is the path to the logon page
    >
    > https://www.telstraclear.co.nz/tools/usagemeter/index.cfm?s=c

    That's a form based login. When you click the login button stuff gets
    sent to the server. If you can determine what gets sent, you can send
    the same stuff and (hopefully) login with that URL. If you use Firefox,
    you can use Live Headers to find out what gets sent.

    The relevant line in the page is :
    <form name="loginForm" method="POST"
    action="/tools/usagemeter/index.cfm?s=t&l=" onSubmit="return
    checkForm(this)">

    The relevant URL is as above but with "s=t&l=" expanded by JavaScript in
    the page. That is :

    https://www.telstraclear.co.nz/tools/usagemeter/index.cfm?<stuff
    depending on your login details>.

    If you can in some way determine what follows the "?", you can code it
    in the URL and hopefully login.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Linux is theft.

    Enkidu, Jan 20, 2009
  12. Peter  M

    Enkidu Guest

    Peter M wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:46:45 +1300, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> Peter M wrote:

    >>> This is not secure type login as all I want to be able to do is to log in and
    >>> read my usage details, from just a click from my desktop..
    >>>

    >> As far as I know the only way to pass login and password to an
    >> application directly via a URL is as I gave above. It doesn't have to be
    >> https - it can be http.
    >>
    >> If the login page is in fact a form, then you *might* be able to connect
    >> with a URL of the form:
    >>
    >> http://www.mysite.co.nz?username=cliffp&password=mypassword
    >>
    >> but, the field names 'username', 'password' may not be as above and
    >> there may be other parameters that are needed. Finally, there may be
    >> Javascript or other routines to obfuscate the username and password so
    >> the URL might be something like:
    >>
    >> http://www.mysite.co.nz?session=QW3vcevvf8kksMMkQ
    >>
    >> One way to find out what the URL should be is if you use Firefox to
    >> install Live Headers and look at what actually passes between the you
    >> and the site.
    >>
    >> When I was using the Telecom JetStream usage page I had to write a
    >> script to login and scrape the details from the usage page.

    > Here is the path to the logon page
    >
    > https://www.telstraclear.co.nz/tools/usagemeter/index.cfm?s=c

    JohnB's suggestion seems like a good option, if it is worth you paying
    for it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Linux is theft.

    Enkidu, Jan 20, 2009
  13. Peter  M

    EMB Guest

    Peter M wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:46:45 +1300, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> Peter M wrote:

    >>> This is not secure type login as all I want to be able to do is to log in and
    >>> read my usage details, from just a click from my desktop..
    >>>

    >> As far as I know the only way to pass login and password to an
    >> application directly via a URL is as I gave above. It doesn't have to be
    >> https - it can be http.
    >>
    >> If the login page is in fact a form, then you *might* be able to connect
    >> with a URL of the form:
    >>
    >> http://www.mysite.co.nz?username=cliffp&password=mypassword
    >>
    >> but, the field names 'username', 'password' may not be as above and
    >> there may be other parameters that are needed. Finally, there may be
    >> Javascript or other routines to obfuscate the username and password so
    >> the URL might be something like:
    >>
    >> http://www.mysite.co.nz?session=QW3vcevvf8kksMMkQ
    >>
    >> One way to find out what the URL should be is if you use Firefox to
    >> install Live Headers and look at what actually passes between the you
    >> and the site.
    >>
    >> When I was using the Telecom JetStream usage page I had to write a
    >> script to login and scrape the details from the usage page.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > Here is the path to the logon page
    >

    > https://www.telstraclear.co.nz/tools/usagemeter/index.cfm?s=c

    Hello Roger

    Cliff's given you enough clues that you should be able to look at the
    page source and work out what to do. If you haven't already got the
    knowledge to work it out (and as a seasoned mainframe injinear you
    should find it pretty easy) then I suggest you devote some of your
    retirement to learning a wee bit about web page syntax - it'll make a
    lot of web things much easier for you in future.

    Hint... search the page source for "password" and then google what you
    see in that part of the source.

    EMB, Jan 20, 2009
  14. Peter  M

    Sam Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Peter M wrote:
    >> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:46:45 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> As far as I know the only way to pass login and password to an
    >>> application directly via a URL is as I gave above. It doesn't have to
    >>> be https - it can be http.
    >>>
    >>> If the login page is in fact a form, then you *might* be able to
    >>> connect with a URL of the form:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mysite.co.nz?username=cliffp&password=mypassword
    >>>
    >>> but, the field names 'username', 'password' may not be as above and
    >>> there may be other parameters that are needed. Finally, there may be
    >>> Javascript or other routines to obfuscate the username and password
    >>> so the URL might be something like:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mysite.co.nz?session=QW3vcevvf8kksMMkQ
    >>>
    >>> One way to find out what the URL should be is if you use Firefox to
    >>> install Live Headers and look at what actually passes between the you
    >>> and the site.
    >>>
    >>> When I was using the Telecom JetStream usage page I had to write a
    >>> script to login and scrape the details from the usage page.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff

    >> Here is the path to the logon page
    >>

    >> https://www.telstraclear.co.nz/tools/usagemeter/index.cfm?s=c

    > Hello Roger
    >
    > Cliff's given you enough clues that you should be able to look at the
    > page source and work out what to do. If you haven't already got the
    > knowledge to work it out (and as a seasoned mainframe injinear you
    > should find it pretty easy) then I suggest you devote some of your
    > retirement to learning a wee bit about web page syntax - it'll make a
    > lot of web things much easier for you in future.

    All this thread and yet he didn't want to use his ISP account usage page
    when I suggested it to him.

    Sam, Jan 21, 2009
  15. Peter  M

    Peter M Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:54:52 +1300, Sam <> wrote:

    >EMB wrote:
    >> Peter M wrote:

    >>> Here is the path to the logon page
    >>>

    >>> https://www.telstraclear.co.nz/tools/usagemeter/index.cfm?s=c

    >> Hello Roger
    >>
    >> Cliff's given you enough clues that you should be able to look at the
    >> page source and work out what to do. If you haven't already got the
    >> knowledge to work it out (and as a seasoned mainframe injinear you
    >> should find it pretty easy) then I suggest you devote some of your
    >> retirement to learning a wee bit about web page syntax - it'll make a
    >> lot of web things much easier for you in future.

    >All this thread and yet he didn't want to use his ISP account usage page
    >when I suggested it to him.

    Pardon, ! I do wish to use the Usage page but I would like to read it with
    just one Click..

    Peter M, Jan 21, 2009

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 21, 2009
  17. Peter  M

    Sam Guest

    ========================
    From: Sam <>
    Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 08:50:58 +1300
    Subject: Re: Internet Traffic Monitor
    > Peter M wrote:
    > Thanks for the Help but all I want is a dead simple program that will

    monitor
    > all my Lan usage traffic, so I don't exceed my Cap.

    Netmeter - freeware
    http://tinyurl.com/2qd5rv

    Doesn't your ISP give you a usage on your account page?

    ========================

    To which you stated that the usage page wasn't accurate/up to date

    Sam, Jan 22, 2009
  18. Peter  M

    Peter M Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:19:17 +1300, Sam <> wrote:

    >Peter M wrote:
    >> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:54:52 +1300, Sam <> wrote:
    >>> All this thread and yet he didn't want to use his ISP account usage page
    >>> when I suggested it to him.

    >> Pardon, ! I do wish to use the Usage page but I would like to read it with
    >> just one Click..

    >========================
    >From: Sam <>
    >Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 08:50:58 +1300
    >Subject: Re: Internet Traffic Monitor
    > > Peter M wrote:
    > > Thanks for the Help but all I want is a dead simple program that will

    >monitor
    > > all my Lan usage traffic, so I don't exceed my Cap.

    >Netmeter - freeware
    >http://tinyurl.com/2qd5rv
    >
    >Doesn't your ISP give you a usage on your account page?
    >
    >========================
    >
    >To which you stated that the usage page wasn't accurate/up to date

    No a few posters here stated that..

    Peter M, Jan 22, 2009
  19. Peter  M

    Richard Guest

    Peter M wrote:

    > Pardon, ! I do wish to use the Usage page but I would like to read it with
    > just one Click..

    Save the login page to your PC, edit it so that your login and password
    are pre-populated in the fields and then add a javascript to submit the
    form on page load.

    Richard, Jan 27, 2009