URL Purchasing.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Taylor, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. John Taylor

    John Taylor Guest

    > http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/mar2002/nf2002037_2837.htm is
    > about how expired URLs are bought by porn artists, who try and sell them
    > back to the original owner for cash.
    >
    > My question: how do such people find out that the site has expired.
    > Obviously they do not do thousands of manual WHOIS look-ups so what is

    their
    John Taylor, Apr 26, 2004

  2. John Taylor

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "John Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > > http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/mar2002/nf2002037_2837.htm

    is
    > > about how expired URLs are bought by porn artists, who try and sell them
    > > back to the original owner for cash.
    > >
    > > My question: how do such people find out that the site has expired.
    > > Obviously they do not do thousands of manual WHOIS look-ups so what is

    > their
    > > technique?

    There are "bots" written for that - "Grabbers" - they watch sites for
    expiration times, and grab them. I have our companies domains registered
    with a company that (is supposed to) automatically renew before they expire.
    Toolman Tim, Apr 26, 2004

  3. "Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote in message

    > "John Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > > > http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/mar2002/nf2002037_2837.htm

    > is
    > > > about how expired URLs are bought by porn artists, who try and sell

    them
    > > > back to the original owner for cash.
    > > >
    > > > My question: how do such people find out that the site has expired.
    > > > Obviously they do not do thousands of manual WHOIS look-ups so what is

    > > their
    > > > technique?

    > There are "bots" written for that - "Grabbers" - they watch sites for
    > expiration times, and grab them. I have our companies domains registered
    > with a company that (is supposed to) automatically renew before they

    expire.

    deleteddomains.com comes to mind.

    --Tina

    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
    Managed, Dedicated and Colo Server Pkgs.
    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Apr 26, 2004