urgent - pls help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anna, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. anna

    anna Guest

    Hi

    I am NOT technical...that is why this question...I apologize if is
    sounds stupid.

    We have Comcast broadband internet service now .. for 2 Desktops and 2
    laptops.

    Of these, 1 desktop and the 2 laptops are used using Netgear Wireless
    equipment.

    Currently ...we have a Comcast/ Scientic Atlanta Modem and a Netgear
    wireless router.

    Now

    we want to change to SBC Yahoo DSL...

    can we use the same equipment that we have been using with Comcast
    or

    will we need to get new equipment.

    If not, what equipment will we have to get ?

    I am assuming that with DSL we can continue to use the same desktops
    and laptops wirelessly.

    Pls help

    Thanks in advance
    Anna
    anna, Sep 1, 2005

  2. anna

    ftran999 Guest

    "anna" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I am NOT technical...that is why this question...I apologize if is
    > sounds stupid.
    >

    > We have Comcast broadband internet service now .. for 2 Desktops and 2
    > laptops.
    >
    > Of these, 1 desktop and the 2 laptops are used using Netgear Wireless
    > equipment.
    >

    > Currently ...we have a Comcast/ Scientic Atlanta Modem and a Netgear
    > wireless router.
    >

    > Now
    >
    > we want to change to SBC Yahoo DSL...
    >
    > can we use the same equipment that we have been using with Comcast
    > or
    >
    > will we need to get new equipment.

    From your post it sounds like Comcast provided you with your modem. If I'm
    correct about that than I'm sure they'll want it back after you drop them.
    Even if you own the modem outright, you will need a different modem for DSL
    than cable. Other than that I don't see a problem using your current router
    and wireless equipment though you may need to change some settings.

    ftran999, Sep 1, 2005