Urgent Help!

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by J4Y, Oct 21, 2007.

1. J4Y

J4Y

Hey people, im new here, im really new to computers my self (but im not completely stupid lol) so bare with my explanation for my problem and i would be very grateful if you can help me out.

Well ive got some problems with my USB connection problem, im not sure what it is, the hub, the device, the controller? even saying that i dont really know what each mean or do, but i have been searching to find a solution to my problem but no luck :(...............

ive got a external hard drive and a external DVD/CD-RW and both use a USB 2.0 connection, i bought online from ebay and they were working fine until today. What happened was i was using my external DVD/CD-RW to burn some film on a DVD and i plugged the device into one of the USB hubs and a pop-up appeared stating unknown device, i really dont know why it stated this as it was working fine the other times, and so i went to the device manager and see whats up, and there i see, it still states "unknown device" i right clicked it and went to properties and it said "there is no driver for this device" so i was abit shocked and annoyed at this statement coz it was working fine before so how did the driver just suddenly disappear?

So i went to troubleshooting via the device manager and followed through instruction after instruction and nothing worked!, it told me to uninstall the driver and reinstall it back which i did, check the BIOS if it device manager for USB was switched on and i did that but no luck............

So then i went on the net and started searching for USB troubleshooting and arrived a page from microsoft for USB troubleshoot.

There were several ideas of what could of made the error occur but all seem valid to me so i dont really know which one; one said about Malfunctioning or incorrectly configured hardware - this one i was sure, my USB ports were have responded in this way because as every device that had a USB connection to connect to the computer all of them stated the same thing "no drivers for this device" when i connected it to the PC and stated on the page it is suspended? what does this mean? and how long will it be suspended for?; Malfunctioning, incorrectly configured, or missing device driver - this one i stated i should go to the site of the manufacturer of my device and so i did but when i went there it said the USB 2.0 cable do not need drivers as it should be recognised by windows automatically o.0 so what was wrong? btw i have windows XP;
    Mismatched cabling - this one proved it also because the external DVD/CD-RW, was plugged into a usb root hub that i dont use often and may have a lower speed than my device and my have caused this error.

more information can be found at :http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Most of these have explanation of the cause but no resolutions and so i found this forum and decided if people can help me here, iam stuck and dont know what to do as im in need of both these devices and other but my USB connections keep failing or dont work with the same error code...............im really sorry if my explanation is muddled and confusing but ive tried my best to clarify and im really tired and sleepy so some bits not make sense or the grammer/spelling is real bad lol sorry (did this post at night)......

thank you for help
    J4Y, Oct 21, 2007
    1. Advertising

2. J4Y

Bluebell

Hello J4Y

Quote:
    ive got a external hard drive and a external DVD/CD-RW and both use a USB 2.0 connection, i bought online from ebay and they were working fine until today. What happened was i was using my external DVD/CD-RW to burn some film on a DVD and i plugged the device into one of the USB hubs and a pop-up appeared stating unknown device,

Not certain this will address your problem - however, I'm a volunteer support worker at our local Resource Centre & this problem affected USB drives on all our computers, a week or so back. According to MS - problem may have been due to MS Updates - solution proffered - rename USB drives.(ie designate fresh letters to removable drives).

Having done this, USB drives now working okay.

Your problem unlikely to have same root cause, since your USB drives worked fine pre your post - however this may resolve problem for you.

Hope this helps
    Bluebell
    Bluebell, Oct 22, 2007
    1. Advertising

3. J4Y

bigal

Generally I right-click on the "unknown device" and select update driver. You can also try removing the USB cable and plugging it in again - sometimes it helps to try this a few times, giving the machine a few minutes in-between to find the driver for the device.

Finally, look for your USB device software CD and see if it comes with a driver for the device. Some USB devices do have drivers. If so, update your "unknown device" by pointing to that driver.
    bigal, Oct 24, 2007
    1. Advertising