Urgent help needed: Motherboard or PSU failure?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by joki, Jul 6, 2007.

1. joki

joki

I did something pretty stupid today (or it just happened i dont really know), I just purchased a new pair of RAM (2x512GB) and a wireless PCI card for my PC, was really excited to plug them in to try out. But god knows why, I plugged my RAM the in wrong way (the rib is not aligned) and when I turned on the computer, I smelled some electric failure and my computer refuse to boot. The front panel gave out this "tick tick tick tick"sound (not beeping) and the optical mouse flashed accordingly. I fixed the RAM, tried to turn off and on the computer a few times but its all the same. The fan and HDD drives didnt spin, and there's still a power indicator light (or sort of) in the motherboard. I'm dreaded to think I have burned out the motherboard and CPU but I'm still hoping its PSU failure. So I really want some help on how to check that out.

My system is

P4 2.5GHz
    2x256MB
    the motherboard is ABIT BE7 RAID

1. Reason im hoping its PSU failure: the fan and drives doesnt spin, and in previous incidents where i plug the ram the wrong way it just gave a beeping indicating no RAM. Also another reason is I run with 3 hard drive a few other components, which can overload the system when i add the wireless PCI card.

So please help me how to check if its a PSU failure?
    Is anyone familiar with sound signal from the front panel, tick tick tick like a clock continously (and when i hold the power button the fan spin slowly for abit)

2. If its a motherboard failure, how can i be sure? And how can i check if any other bits in the system failed as well to minimise the relacing cost? is CPU certain to fail? how about the new RAM?

Thank you guys very much sad.gif please help.

joki, Jul 6, 2007
    1. Advertising