Urgent help needed- Follow up to post below "Monitor LED is on, nopicture"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tim, Feb 23, 2005.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    I'm hoping someone out there can save me $50 in diagnostic charges
    before I have to bring this thing in tomorrow morning. Here's the problem..

    On power up- fans are spinning, lights are on. No sound coming through
    (no beeps), no picture, just a black screen on the monitor. After a few
    seconds, monitor goes from green (working) LED to orange (no data) LED.

    Both the monitor and video card were tried on a separate system and worked.

    General consensus seemed to be that it was probably the motherboard. I
    went out and bought a new one (new ram as well) but no luck, still
    having the same problem. I did check with the store to make sure I'm
    covered under warranty for this sort of thing, so the ram and mobo go
    back tomorrow.

    So, what we can say *isn't* the problem, is..
    -Video card
    -Monitor
    -Motherboard (apart from the off chance that it was infact the
    motherboard, and my replacement came busted as well)
    -Memory
    -Loose cables
    -Loose cards

    The only things yet to be eliminated, that I can see, are the power
    supply and the processor. Could either of these be causing the problem?
    One more likely than the other?

    Tim, Feb 23, 2005

  2. Tim

    TT Guest

    Re: Urgent help needed- Follow up to post below "Monitor LED is on, no picture"

    Take the CPU out, and reseat it...after you replace the heat
    paste...if that doesn't do it, then replace the PSU---but I had a short in
    a case once that acted like this as well.

    TT, Feb 23, 2005

  3. Tim

    Guest

    Re: Urgent help needed- Follow up to post below "Monitor LED is on, no picture"

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 02:25:51 GMT, Tim <> wrote:

    |> On power up- fans are spinning, lights are on. No sound coming through
    |> (no beeps),

    Recheck your PC speaker set-up, you should get one beep (all ok)
    Pull ram, or your video card to see if you can get a few beeps.

    The beeps codes can lead you in the right direction if they can be
    heard.

    --

    , Feb 23, 2005
  4. Tim

    Plato Guest

    Tim wrote:

    Any bad card can cause that, commonly happens when modems get fried by
    storms. Pull out all cards and all external devices try with just the
    basics ram/cpu/video

    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Feb 23, 2005