(Urgent) Help in Wellington please!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Aug 22, 2013.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Is there anyone here who lives in Wellington and would be prepared to pick
    up a (faulty) laptop from Turners auctions and post it to me for a small
    consideration?

    Unfortunately the auction finishes in two hours! It'd be great to hear back
    from anyone who could help. (I have a T60 with a faulty motherboard so am
    looking for a 'parts collection' and had just about given up - hence the
    short notice - I only just saw it.) :-/

    Cheers.
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 22, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Belay that! Was: Re: (Urgent) Help in Wellington please!

    Damn! Just checked the type lookup and it's a short-screen model so no good
    to me.

    Thanks anyway folks.
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Is there anyone here who lives in Wellington and would be prepared to
    > pick up a (faulty) laptop from Turners auctions and post it to me for
    > a small consideration?
    >
    > Unfortunately the auction finishes in two hours! It'd be great to
    > hear back from anyone who could help. (I have a T60 with a faulty
    > motherboard so am looking for a 'parts collection' and had just about
    > given up - hence the short notice - I only just saw it.) :-/
    >
    > Cheers.
    > Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 22, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    Well! After not seeing a T60 for parts going for a reasonable price on TM
    for weeks I'm pleased I looked in tonight.

    I just bought http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=627212737 and
    am very happy with it. Again, I noticed it late so I was flustered and
    forgot to tick the "Autobid' box - so maybe spent a few bucks more than I
    needed to.

    I'm looking forward to getting it - I'll finally be able to replace the
    motherboard in the excellent 15" FlexView T60 I have that has a bad ethernet
    chip - and have a bunch of spare parts to boot.

    Yay!
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Damn! Just checked the type lookup and it's a short-screen model so
    > no good to me.
    >
    > Thanks anyway folks.
    >
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Is there anyone here who lives in Wellington and would be prepared to
    >> pick up a (faulty) laptop from Turners auctions and post it to me for
    >> a small consideration?
    >>
    >> Unfortunately the auction finishes in two hours! It'd be great to
    >> hear back from anyone who could help. (I have a T60 with a faulty
    >> motherboard so am looking for a 'parts collection' and had just about
    >> given up - hence the short notice - I only just saw it.) :-/
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >> Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 22, 2013
    #3
  4. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 20:51:23 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Well! After not seeing a T60 for parts going for a reasonable price on TM
    >for weeks I'm pleased I looked in tonight.
    >
    >I just bought http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=627212737 and
    >am very happy with it. Again, I noticed it late so I was flustered and
    >forgot to tick the "Autobid' box - so maybe spent a few bucks more than I
    >needed to.
    >
    >I'm looking forward to getting it - I'll finally be able to replace the
    >motherboard in the excellent 15" FlexView T60 I have that has a bad ethernet
    >chip - and have a bunch of spare parts to boot.
    >
    >Yay!


    Congrats, T60s are too good to throw away. I bought one a couple of
    years ago after seeing your prolific praise of them here :)

    It's still going well and it feels more solid than any other laptop
    I've ever used. Do you know if the new models are still of the same
    quality?
    Ray Greene, Aug 23, 2013
    #4
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 20:51:23 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well! After not seeing a T60 for parts going for a reasonable price
    >> on TM for weeks I'm pleased I looked in tonight.
    >>
    >> I just bought
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=627212737 and am
    >> very happy with it. Again, I noticed it late so I was flustered and
    >> forgot to tick the "Autobid' box - so maybe spent a few bucks more
    >> than I needed to.
    >>
    >> I'm looking forward to getting it - I'll finally be able to replace
    >> the motherboard in the excellent 15" FlexView T60 I have that has a
    >> bad ethernet chip - and have a bunch of spare parts to boot.
    >>
    >> Yay!

    >
    > Congrats, T60s are too good to throw away.


    Thanks. I kept a spare (15") and I recently let a very good mate have it.
    Consequently I needed to replace it but the machine I bought to do the job
    has a damaged ethernet chip - but is otherwise in excellent condition. So I
    needed a motherboard replacement and I have my fingers crossed that the one
    linked to above is a good one.

    > I bought one a couple of
    > years ago after seeing your prolific praise of them here :)


    They're great aren't they? I have two now - a 15" that I've upgraded to a
    UXGA screen as my main machine, in a dock on my desk. The other is a 14"
    SXGA+ that I use when I'm too sore to sit at my desk for long. (I used to
    use an X32 as my 'mobile machine' but alas, it's only 1024 x 768 pixels and
    that's just not enough for using for any length of time.)

    > It's still going well and it feels more solid than any other laptop
    > I've ever used.


    Likewise.

    > Do you know if the new models are still of the same
    > quality?


    They're not. Some of the Lenovo ThinkPads are not too bad but some are just
    crap. I've had an R61 and an R500 and couldn't get rid of them quickly
    enough despite them both being newer and more powerful. Some of the later T
    series are OK I'm told, just not as good as the T60.

    The T60 was the last machine made that was still largely IBM designed. Even
    though Lenovo had taken over by then IBM left some of their guys there for a
    few years to ease them into it. The T60 was the last machine that *they* had
    the last say with when it came to design and features. From there on they're
    purely Lenovo and there's no way they can be as good.

    IBM was losing money on it's ThinkPad operation (despite the large premium
    you had to pay to own one), that's why they sold it to Lenovo. Therefore it
    stands to reason Lenovo isn't making the latops as well as IBM did. Still, a
    well-spec'ed T60 should still be powerful enough for a few years yet. :)

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]
    ~misfit~, Aug 23, 2013
    #5
  6. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 01:30:56 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 20:51:23 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well! After not seeing a T60 for parts going for a reasonable price
    >>> on TM for weeks I'm pleased I looked in tonight.
    >>>
    >>> I just bought
    >>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=627212737 and am
    >>> very happy with it. Again, I noticed it late so I was flustered and
    >>> forgot to tick the "Autobid' box - so maybe spent a few bucks more
    >>> than I needed to.
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking forward to getting it - I'll finally be able to replace
    >>> the motherboard in the excellent 15" FlexView T60 I have that has a
    >>> bad ethernet chip - and have a bunch of spare parts to boot.
    >>>
    >>> Yay!

    >>
    >> Congrats, T60s are too good to throw away.

    >
    >Thanks. I kept a spare (15") and I recently let a very good mate have it.
    >Consequently I needed to replace it but the machine I bought to do the job
    >has a damaged ethernet chip - but is otherwise in excellent condition. So I
    >needed a motherboard replacement and I have my fingers crossed that the one
    >linked to above is a good one.
    >
    >> I bought one a couple of
    >> years ago after seeing your prolific praise of them here :)

    >
    >They're great aren't they? I have two now - a 15" that I've upgraded to a
    >UXGA screen as my main machine, in a dock on my desk. The other is a 14"
    >SXGA+ that I use when I'm too sore to sit at my desk for long. (I used to
    >use an X32 as my 'mobile machine' but alas, it's only 1024 x 768 pixels and
    >that's just not enough for using for any length of time.)
    >
    >> It's still going well and it feels more solid than any other laptop
    >> I've ever used.

    >
    >Likewise.
    >
    >> Do you know if the new models are still of the same
    >> quality?

    >
    >They're not. Some of the Lenovo ThinkPads are not too bad but some are just
    >crap. I've had an R61 and an R500 and couldn't get rid of them quickly
    >enough despite them both being newer and more powerful. Some of the later T
    >series are OK I'm told, just not as good as the T60.
    >
    >The T60 was the last machine made that was still largely IBM designed. Even
    >though Lenovo had taken over by then IBM left some of their guys there for a
    >few years to ease them into it. The T60 was the last machine that *they* had
    >the last say with when it came to design and features. From there on they're
    >purely Lenovo and there's no way they can be as good.
    >
    >IBM was losing money on it's ThinkPad operation (despite the large premium
    >you had to pay to own one), that's why they sold it to Lenovo. Therefore it
    >stands to reason Lenovo isn't making the latops as well as IBM did. Still, a
    >well-spec'ed T60 should still be powerful enough for a few years yet. :)


    Yeah, mine will be good for a while yet.

    The new commercial line of HP laptops seem to be OK quality, we've got
    a couple at work, but they just don't have the same solid feel as the
    T60.
    Ray Greene, Aug 26, 2013
    #6
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 01:30:56 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 20:51:23 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Well! After not seeing a T60 for parts going for a reasonable price
    >>>> on TM for weeks I'm pleased I looked in tonight.
    >>>>
    >>>> I just bought
    >>>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=627212737 and am
    >>>> very happy with it. Again, I noticed it late so I was flustered and
    >>>> forgot to tick the "Autobid' box - so maybe spent a few bucks more
    >>>> than I needed to.
    >>>>
    >>>> I'm looking forward to getting it - I'll finally be able to replace
    >>>> the motherboard in the excellent 15" FlexView T60 I have that has a
    >>>> bad ethernet chip - and have a bunch of spare parts to boot.
    >>>>
    >>>> Yay!
    >>>
    >>> Congrats, T60s are too good to throw away.

    >>
    >> Thanks. I kept a spare (15") and I recently let a very good mate
    >> have it. Consequently I needed to replace it but the machine I
    >> bought to do the job has a damaged ethernet chip - but is otherwise
    >> in excellent condition. So I needed a motherboard replacement and I
    >> have my fingers crossed that the one linked to above is a good one.
    >>
    >>> I bought one a couple of
    >>> years ago after seeing your prolific praise of them here :)

    >>
    >> They're great aren't they? I have two now - a 15" that I've upgraded
    >> to a UXGA screen as my main machine, in a dock on my desk. The other
    >> is a 14" SXGA+ that I use when I'm too sore to sit at my desk for
    >> long. (I used to use an X32 as my 'mobile machine' but alas, it's
    >> only 1024 x 768 pixels and that's just not enough for using for any
    >> length of time.)
    >>
    >>> It's still going well and it feels more solid than any other laptop
    >>> I've ever used.

    >>
    >> Likewise.
    >>
    >>> Do you know if the new models are still of the same
    >>> quality?

    >>
    >> They're not. Some of the Lenovo ThinkPads are not too bad but some
    >> are just crap. I've had an R61 and an R500 and couldn't get rid of
    >> them quickly enough despite them both being newer and more powerful.
    >> Some of the later T series are OK I'm told, just not as good as the
    >> T60.
    >>
    >> The T60 was the last machine made that was still largely IBM
    >> designed. Even though Lenovo had taken over by then IBM left some of
    >> their guys there for a few years to ease them into it. The T60 was
    >> the last machine that *they* had the last say with when it came to
    >> design and features. From there on they're purely Lenovo and there's
    >> no way they can be as good.
    >>
    >> IBM was losing money on it's ThinkPad operation (despite the large
    >> premium you had to pay to own one), that's why they sold it to
    >> Lenovo. Therefore it stands to reason Lenovo isn't making the latops
    >> as well as IBM did. Still, a well-spec'ed T60 should still be
    >> powerful enough for a few years yet. :)

    >
    > Yeah, mine will be good for a while yet.
    >
    > The new commercial line of HP laptops seem to be OK quality, we've got
    > a couple at work, but they just don't have the same solid feel as the
    > T60.


    Yep, most of the hard-core ThinkPad guys on forums.thinkpad say that the
    future of high-quality laptops seems to be Dell's business range, that
    Lenovo have lost the plot.

    I hear what you say about that solid feel though. I think that, for some
    reason these days everyone wants everything to be small and (especially)
    light. When something's really light it just doesn't feel as.... formidable
    as a T4x or T60 ThinkPad does.

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]
    ~misfit~, Aug 26, 2013
    #7
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 26/08/2013 9:50 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Yep, most of the hard-core ThinkPad guys on forums.thinkpad say that
    >> the future of high-quality laptops seems to be Dell's business
    >> range, that Lenovo have lost the plot.

    >
    > The future ain't with Dell - we moved that way from HP just under 2
    > years ago and the Dells are pure unmitigated shit in comparison.
    >
    > Posted from a T61p....


    Hmmm.... I think it was Dell that was mentioned in a thread I read there.
    Perhaps I was wrong. I might see if I can find it again....

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]
    ~misfit~, Aug 27, 2013
    #8
  9. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:08:12 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >On 26/08/2013 9:50 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Yep, most of the hard-core ThinkPad guys on forums.thinkpad say that the
    >> future of high-quality laptops seems to be Dell's business range, that
    >> Lenovo have lost the plot.

    >
    >The future ain't with Dell - we moved that way from HP just under 2
    >years ago and the Dells are pure unmitigated shit in comparison.
    >
    >Posted from a T61p....


    I read on a forum today that the T60 has a better screen and stronger
    case, but you can fit the mobo from a T61 into a T60 and get the best
    of both. Don't know if I would want to go to that much effort though.
    Ray Greene, Aug 28, 2013
    #9
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:08:12 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 26/08/2013 9:50 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Yep, most of the hard-core ThinkPad guys on forums.thinkpad say
    >>> that the future of high-quality laptops seems to be Dell's business
    >>> range, that Lenovo have lost the plot.

    >>
    >> The future ain't with Dell - we moved that way from HP just under 2
    >> years ago and the Dells are pure unmitigated shit in comparison.
    >>
    >> Posted from a T61p....

    >
    > I read on a forum today that the T60 has a better screen and stronger
    > case, but you can fit the mobo from a T61 into a T60 and get the best
    > of both. Don't know if I would want to go to that much effort though.


    There's a catch to that though - the only T61 mobo that will fit into a T60
    chassis is from a (very rare) 14.1" 4:3 T61 - and then there's a bit of
    Dremel work to do. As by far most of the T61s are short-screen it can be
    very hard to find a 4:3 T61. I know, I've been looking.

    (The advantages are the T61 can take more RAM (8GB compared with the T60s
    3GB) and a newer, faster CPU - but not by much.)
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]
    ~misfit~, Aug 29, 2013
    #10
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 28/08/2013 7:02 p.m., Ray Greene wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:08:12 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 26/08/2013 9:50 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>> Yep, most of the hard-core ThinkPad guys on forums.thinkpad say
    >>>> that the future of high-quality laptops seems to be Dell's
    >>>> business range, that Lenovo have lost the plot.
    >>>
    >>> The future ain't with Dell - we moved that way from HP just under 2
    >>> years ago and the Dells are pure unmitigated shit in comparison.
    >>>
    >>> Posted from a T61p....

    >>
    >> I read on a forum today that the T60 has a better screen and stronger
    >> case, but you can fit the mobo from a T61 into a T60 and get the best
    >> of both. Don't know if I would want to go to that much effort though.
    >>

    > It's got a 1920x1200 IPS panel in it - I doubt there's much
    > improvement to be had, and the case seems every bit as robust as the
    > T60 and R60 which preceeded it.


    That sounds like a sweet screen. Was it a PITA to find and fit? One of the
    biggest reasons the TP crowd value the T60 so much is it was the *last* TP
    that had an IPS screen factory-fitted. Lenovo never fitted an IPS screen to
    a T61/p.

    (There's a hugely long thread on the Lenovo forums about it - going back
    years. Lenovo's stand was that they couldn't get at least two suppliers to
    provide IPS screens for the T61 so they wouldn't offer them. Company policy
    is that they won't fit any third-party item to a ThinkPad if there is only
    one supplier of it. Otherwise if the supply company goes toes-up - or
    decides to charge heaps more, then Lenovo are in the shit. The thread went
    on for years with several posts by Lenovo representitives.)

    I have an R61 here that a friend left me when he 'upgraded' to (my spare)
    T60 UXGA IPS. The R61 has a hi-res short-screen and I get a headache when I
    use it for more than an hour. Doing a clean install of Windows was terrible!

    > The T510 sat in the corner feels far less robust and is only
    > 1920x1080... I miss the extra resolution when I use it.


    Yeah, they got progressively worse - it was all downhill from the T60
    (unless you are prepared to 'FrankenPad' your T61. <g>).

    Speaking of - I have an LED backlit UXGA 15" IPS screen sitting in customs
    in Wellington. My mate who left the R61 and took my hi-specced T60 sent me a
    'care package' when he got back to NYC. To replace my spare T60 he sent me a
    screen he got from a forum member (TuuS) who wouldn't ship outside the US.
    (Theory being I can sell the R61, get a standard T60 for the same money then
    upgrade it to UXGA using the screen.) He also threw in a second set of
    sheets for my spare bed as cushioning (it was a hassle washing and drying
    the one set when he was staying here) and a few other odds and ends....

    Now NZ Customs want me to pay over $120 GST and import duty before they'll
    release it! They're even charging me GST on the US$80 it cost him to send
    it! I'm going to call them later and see what can be sorted out as I don't
    have the money. :-(
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]
    ~misfit~, Aug 29, 2013
    #11
  12. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:15:23 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:08:12 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 26/08/2013 9:50 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>> Yep, most of the hard-core ThinkPad guys on forums.thinkpad say
    >>>> that the future of high-quality laptops seems to be Dell's business
    >>>> range, that Lenovo have lost the plot.
    >>>
    >>> The future ain't with Dell - we moved that way from HP just under 2
    >>> years ago and the Dells are pure unmitigated shit in comparison.
    >>>
    >>> Posted from a T61p....

    >>
    >> I read on a forum today that the T60 has a better screen and stronger
    >> case, but you can fit the mobo from a T61 into a T60 and get the best
    >> of both. Don't know if I would want to go to that much effort though.

    >
    >There's a catch to that though - the only T61 mobo that will fit into a T60
    >chassis is from a (very rare) 14.1" 4:3 T61 - and then there's a bit of
    >Dremel work to do. As by far most of the T61s are short-screen it can be
    >very hard to find a 4:3 T61. I know, I've been looking.


    Yes I read that somewhere else too. They don't make it easy do they?
    You'd think they would have used the same mobo in all the T61 models.

    >(The advantages are the T61 can take more RAM (8GB compared with the T60s
    >3GB) and a newer, faster CPU - but not by much.)


    I want to use 64-bit Linux, so I could use the extra RAM as well as
    needing the better CPU. No rush though, the T60 will do me for the
    meantime.
    Ray Greene, Aug 29, 2013
    #12
  13. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:40:39 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >> On 28/08/2013 7:02 p.m., Ray Greene wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:08:12 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 26/08/2013 9:50 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>>> Yep, most of the hard-core ThinkPad guys on forums.thinkpad say
    >>>>> that the future of high-quality laptops seems to be Dell's
    >>>>> business range, that Lenovo have lost the plot.
    >>>>
    >>>> The future ain't with Dell - we moved that way from HP just under 2
    >>>> years ago and the Dells are pure unmitigated shit in comparison.
    >>>>
    >>>> Posted from a T61p....
    >>>
    >>> I read on a forum today that the T60 has a better screen and stronger
    >>> case, but you can fit the mobo from a T61 into a T60 and get the best
    >>> of both. Don't know if I would want to go to that much effort though.
    >>>

    >> It's got a 1920x1200 IPS panel in it - I doubt there's much
    >> improvement to be had, and the case seems every bit as robust as the
    >> T60 and R60 which preceeded it.

    >
    >That sounds like a sweet screen. Was it a PITA to find and fit? One of the
    >biggest reasons the TP crowd value the T60 so much is it was the *last* TP
    >that had an IPS screen factory-fitted. Lenovo never fitted an IPS screen to
    >a T61/p.
    >
    >(There's a hugely long thread on the Lenovo forums about it - going back
    >years. Lenovo's stand was that they couldn't get at least two suppliers to
    >provide IPS screens for the T61 so they wouldn't offer them. Company policy
    >is that they won't fit any third-party item to a ThinkPad if there is only
    >one supplier of it. Otherwise if the supply company goes toes-up - or
    >decides to charge heaps more, then Lenovo are in the shit. The thread went
    >on for years with several posts by Lenovo representitives.)
    >
    >I have an R61 here that a friend left me when he 'upgraded' to (my spare)
    >T60 UXGA IPS. The R61 has a hi-res short-screen and I get a headache when I
    >use it for more than an hour. Doing a clean install of Windows was terrible!
    >
    >> The T510 sat in the corner feels far less robust and is only
    >> 1920x1080... I miss the extra resolution when I use it.

    >
    >Yeah, they got progressively worse - it was all downhill from the T60
    >(unless you are prepared to 'FrankenPad' your T61. <g>).
    >
    >Speaking of - I have an LED backlit UXGA 15" IPS screen sitting in customs
    >in Wellington. My mate who left the R61 and took my hi-specced T60 sent me a
    >'care package' when he got back to NYC. To replace my spare T60 he sent me a
    >screen he got from a forum member (TuuS) who wouldn't ship outside the US.
    >(Theory being I can sell the R61, get a standard T60 for the same money then
    >upgrade it to UXGA using the screen.) He also threw in a second set of
    >sheets for my spare bed as cushioning (it was a hassle washing and drying
    >the one set when he was staying here) and a few other odds and ends....
    >
    >Now NZ Customs want me to pay over $120 GST and import duty before they'll
    >release it! They're even charging me GST on the US$80 it cost him to send
    >it! I'm going to call them later and see what can be sorted out as I don't
    >have the money. :-(


    What a bugger! Best of luck sorting that out. What happens if you
    don't pay them, do they auction it off? You might get your parcel for
    five bucks if you put in a bid :)
    Ray Greene, Aug 29, 2013
    #13
  14. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 19:54:06 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >On 28/08/2013 7:02 p.m., Ray Greene wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:08:12 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 26/08/2013 9:50 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>> Yep, most of the hard-core ThinkPad guys on forums.thinkpad say that the
    >>>> future of high-quality laptops seems to be Dell's business range, that
    >>>> Lenovo have lost the plot.
    >>>
    >>> The future ain't with Dell - we moved that way from HP just under 2
    >>> years ago and the Dells are pure unmitigated shit in comparison.
    >>>
    >>> Posted from a T61p....

    >>
    >> I read on a forum today that the T60 has a better screen and stronger
    >> case, but you can fit the mobo from a T61 into a T60 and get the best
    >> of both. Don't know if I would want to go to that much effort though.
    >>

    >It's got a 1920x1200 IPS panel in it - I doubt there's much improvement
    >to be had, and the case seems every bit as robust as the T60 and R60
    >which preceeded it.
    >
    >The T510 sat in the corner feels far less robust and is only
    >1920x1080... I miss the extra resolution when I use it.


    That's a pretty good resolution. I doubt my eyes could handle it on a
    screen that size though.
    Ray Greene, Aug 29, 2013
    #14
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:40:39 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >> Speaking of - I have an LED backlit UXGA 15" IPS screen sitting in
    >> customs in Wellington. My mate who left the R61 and took my
    >> hi-specced T60 sent me a 'care package' when he got back to NYC. To
    >> replace my spare T60 he sent me a screen he got from a forum member
    >> (TuuS) who wouldn't ship outside the US. (Theory being I can sell
    >> the R61, get a standard T60 for the same money then upgrade it to
    >> UXGA using the screen.) He also threw in a second set of sheets for
    >> my spare bed as cushioning (it was a hassle washing and drying the
    >> one set when he was staying here) and a few other odds and ends....
    >>
    >> Now NZ Customs want me to pay over $120 GST and import duty before
    >> they'll release it! They're even charging me GST on the US$80 it
    >> cost him to send it! I'm going to call them later and see what can
    >> be sorted out as I don't have the money. :-(

    >
    > What a bugger! Best of luck sorting that out. What happens if you
    > don't pay them, do they auction it off? You might get your parcel for
    > five bucks if you put in a bid :)


    Thanks for the luck. I have no idea what would happen if I couldn't pay -
    likely as you say, it would be auctioned off.

    After 25 minutes on hold (0800 number thank the gods) I spoke to a guy and
    explained to him that a friend from NYC had visited last month (I asked him
    if he wanted the arrival and departure details as he could probably check -
    he declined). Anyway, I said that I'm broke, a long-time invalid and, on his
    return to NY my friend put together a 'care package' for me (true).

    He asked me 'did I ask him for those specific things or did he pick them out
    for me?'. I told him that he had a fair idea of what I'd like after spending
    a month here (also true) and that I didn't ask him to send them to me
    (again, true).

    The customs guy said, OK, hang on then, let me do a few calculations.... and
    I waited nearly 10 minutes while he clattered away on a keyboard - coughing
    straight into the microphone at one point. Then he said that he'd send it on
    to me, I wouldn't have to pay anything. Apparently there's a $110 dollar
    'gift allowance' on duty and GST on stuff coming into the country - they
    only collect if, after that's taken into account, the remainder is over $60.
    (Any less and it's not worth the man-hours put into calculating and prinint
    up forms etc. to collect.)

    He said that, strictly speaking, as the calcs and mailing had already been
    done in this case he should charge me the remaining $10 - but he'd write it
    off and send the parcel on it's way. I haven't heard back from my friend but
    I think he neglected to write 'gift' on the customs form - maybe.... I'll
    find out either when he emails back or it gets here. Perhaps the fact that
    he declared it as 'computer screen and parts' over-rode a 'gift'
    declaration. (Maybe people are getting wise and having 'gift' written on
    forms to bypass paying? Just speculation...)

    Anyway the upshot is I won't have to put *another* charge on my credit card.
    <phew> As it is I have a third party car insurance premium due next month
    that will have to go 'on the plastic'.

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]
    ~misfit~, Aug 30, 2013
    #15
  16. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:53:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    >> On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:40:39 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:

    >[snip]
    >>> Speaking of - I have an LED backlit UXGA 15" IPS screen sitting in
    >>> customs in Wellington. My mate who left the R61 and took my
    >>> hi-specced T60 sent me a 'care package' when he got back to NYC. To
    >>> replace my spare T60 he sent me a screen he got from a forum member
    >>> (TuuS) who wouldn't ship outside the US. (Theory being I can sell
    >>> the R61, get a standard T60 for the same money then upgrade it to
    >>> UXGA using the screen.) He also threw in a second set of sheets for
    >>> my spare bed as cushioning (it was a hassle washing and drying the
    >>> one set when he was staying here) and a few other odds and ends....
    >>>
    >>> Now NZ Customs want me to pay over $120 GST and import duty before
    >>> they'll release it! They're even charging me GST on the US$80 it
    >>> cost him to send it! I'm going to call them later and see what can
    >>> be sorted out as I don't have the money. :-(

    >>
    >> What a bugger! Best of luck sorting that out. What happens if you
    >> don't pay them, do they auction it off? You might get your parcel for
    >> five bucks if you put in a bid :)

    >
    >Thanks for the luck. I have no idea what would happen if I couldn't pay -
    >likely as you say, it would be auctioned off.
    >
    >After 25 minutes on hold (0800 number thank the gods) I spoke to a guy and
    >explained to him that a friend from NYC had visited last month (I asked him
    >if he wanted the arrival and departure details as he could probably check -
    >he declined). Anyway, I said that I'm broke, a long-time invalid and, on his
    >return to NY my friend put together a 'care package' for me (true).
    >
    >He asked me 'did I ask him for those specific things or did he pick them out
    >for me?'. I told him that he had a fair idea of what I'd like after spending
    >a month here (also true) and that I didn't ask him to send them to me
    >(again, true).
    >
    >The customs guy said, OK, hang on then, let me do a few calculations.... and
    >I waited nearly 10 minutes while he clattered away on a keyboard - coughing
    >straight into the microphone at one point. Then he said that he'd send it on
    >to me, I wouldn't have to pay anything. Apparently there's a $110 dollar
    >'gift allowance' on duty and GST on stuff coming into the country - they
    >only collect if, after that's taken into account, the remainder is over $60.
    >(Any less and it's not worth the man-hours put into calculating and prinint
    >up forms etc. to collect.)
    >
    >He said that, strictly speaking, as the calcs and mailing had already been
    >done in this case he should charge me the remaining $10 - but he'd write it
    >off and send the parcel on it's way. I haven't heard back from my friend but
    >I think he neglected to write 'gift' on the customs form - maybe.... I'll
    >find out either when he emails back or it gets here. Perhaps the fact that
    >he declared it as 'computer screen and parts' over-rode a 'gift'
    >declaration. (Maybe people are getting wise and having 'gift' written on
    >forms to bypass paying? Just speculation...)
    >
    >Anyway the upshot is I won't have to put *another* charge on my credit card.
    ><phew> As it is I have a third party car insurance premium due next month
    >that will have to go 'on the plastic'.


    Well that was a lucky break. Good to know there are some govt
    employees who go out of their way to help.
    Ray Greene, Aug 30, 2013
    #16
  17. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    Re: Belay that!

    On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 00:50:36 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >On 29/08/2013 9:47 p.m., Ray Greene wrote:
    >> That's a pretty good resolution. I doubt my eyes could handle it on a
    >> screen that size though.

    >
    >I'm sat here with a vCentre and a dozen SSH sessions open trying to
    >resurrect a dead ESX cluster.... every last pixel helps.


    Fair enough. I hope you got it sorted.
    Ray Greene, Aug 30, 2013
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ongicek
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    408
    Barry Margolin
    Dec 31, 2003
  2. Jones

    help! help! help! Very urgent!

    Jones, Dec 7, 2003, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    397
    Jones
    Dec 7, 2003
  3. Security Advisory

    !!URGENT!! Tor Vulnerability Discovered !!URGENT!!

    Security Advisory, Aug 6, 2007, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    953
    http://tinyurl.com/23k3dt@$NIFF-deeply.ahh
    Aug 11, 2007
  4. pooja
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,174
    pooja
    Mar 3, 2009
  5. Griffin
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    620
    Griffin
    Aug 27, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page