Upstairs/Downstairs

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by SteveL, Mar 22, 2007.

  1. SteveL

    SteveL Guest

    Hi,

    Upstairs I have three PCs connected to each other via a wired gigabit
    ethernet switch. And to the internet via a Linksys router which is
    connected via a 10m ethernet cable to a cable modem downstairs.

    I'd like to eliminate the 10m cable.

    Downstairs is easy. Just replace the current router with a wireless
    one and set it up downstairs instead.

    But what plugs into the switch upstairs? An "Access Point" is my best
    guess.

    But I'm slightly confused.

    All internet bound packets to the router would have to go via the AP
    to the router.

    How would such packets "know" to go via the access point?

    Or am I totally off base?
    SteveL, Mar 22, 2007

  2. SteveL

    John Guest

    "SteveL" <> wrote in message

    > But what plugs into the switch upstairs? An "Access Point" is my best
    > guess.

    You need a wireless bridge not an access point.
    SMC makes a product that can be an access point or a bridge
    depending on which firmware you install into it.
    SMC2870W
    John, Mar 22, 2007

  3. Hi
    You cam plug into the Switch any Wireless unit that is capable to work as a
    Driverless Wireless Client. Also called Consumers Bridge. The simplest unit
    of this kind is the GameBox type of Wireless card. Many Access Points and
    some Wireless cable DSL Routers can also be configured as Driverless
    Wireless Client ( http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html ).
    Best stable result would be achieved by a unit that is of the same chipset
    as the source Wireless Router (the one that is connected to the Modem).
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 22, 2007
  4. SteveL

    SteveL Guest

    On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:11:03 +0000, SteveL
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Upstairs I have three PCs connected to each other via a wired gigabit
    >ethernet switch. And to the internet via a Linksys router which is
    >connected via a 10m ethernet cable to a cable modem downstairs.
    >
    >I'd like to eliminate the 10m cable.
    >
    >Downstairs is easy. Just replace the current router with a wireless
    >one and set it up downstairs instead.
    >
    >But what plugs into the switch upstairs? An "Access Point" is my best
    >guess.
    >
    >But I'm slightly confused.
    >
    >All internet bound packets to the router would have to go via the AP
    >to the router.
    >
    >How would such packets "know" to go via the access point?
    >
    >Or am I totally off base?

    Thanks for the responses.

    I already had a DLink DWL-2100 Access point. I could make it work if I
    configured it into AP client mode - but only for one PC on the LAN.

    I guess I'll have to find a "wireless bridge" somewhere.

    Thanks
    SteveL, Mar 23, 2007
  5. Hi
    Since it is an Access Point it does not need Drivers. You can connect it to
    a computer for configuration, once it is configured you can plug it to the
    switch and it would act as a Bridge.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 23, 2007
  6. SteveL

    SteveL Guest

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:42:51 -0500, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >Since it is an Access Point it does not need Drivers. You can connect it to
    >a computer for configuration, once it is configured you can plug it to the
    >switch and it would act as a Bridge.
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).

    That's what I'm saying. I plugged the Access Point into the switch
    and configured it using the browser from one of my PCs, and thereafter
    only *that* PC was able to connect to the Wireless Router via it.
    Other PCs on the switch couldn't even ping the Access Point when that
    happened.

    Not what I expected

    The DWL-2100ap has 5 modes
    1) Access Point: which is the normal mode and the one I used for its
    original purpose, which was to allow me to connect a wireless laptop
    to my wired LAN and then onto the internet via the former (wired)
    router.

    2) WDS with AP
    3) WDS
    4) AP Repeater
    5) AP Client

    With the new scenario (trying to link my wired LAN to a wireless
    router) the only mode I could get it to work at all was 5)

    **********************

    Anyway, after writing the above I had an idea and I've cobbled
    together a way to make it all work..... Since this Access Point
    handled one LAN device OK. I decided to put back my original router in
    the way and connect the WAN port of this to the Access Point. This
    means the original router is now that "one LAN device". It meant I had
    to create a dummy LAN network to sit as sandwich filling between the
    two routers, and it means an extra hop in the middle, but now all
    devices on the gigabit switch can go online.....

    Port forwarding works as well since I just forward everything from the
    Wireless router to the original one, and it forwards onto the real
    devices.

    I'm sure this is a dumb way to do it but it works for now....
    SteveL, Mar 23, 2007