    Thanks.
    --
    Slacker
    Slacker, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Slacker

    TT Guest

    Slacker wrote:

    > Getting clean, reliable power where I live is sometimes a problem.
    > Occasionally there are power outages, only for about a second, but
    > enough to shut down the computer.
    >
    > More often the power is dirty or a little less than normal. It will make
    > my mouse freeze up for a couple seconds till it clears up. If I'm
    > running my TV tuner, it gets all snowy too. Same thing happens if I run
    > my Microwave oven at the same time.
    >
    > Anyway, will a UPS or line conditioner help this problem. If so, any
    > recommendations on brands or models to look at?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Slacker

    I'm in the market for a good power support setup myself...and yes, the
    problems you mention could be helped by some line conditioning...you
    definietely want the type that is up and supplying your PC all of the
    time, not the type that will only kick in milliseconds after a spike or
    dropout...I haven't gotten much feedback about brands though...
    TT, Apr 18, 2004

  3. Slacker

    pcbutts1 Guest

    They make the best www.belkin.com

    pcbutts1, Apr 18, 2004
  4. Slacker

    Mellowed Guest

    Go for the UPS.

    :
    : More often the power is dirty or a little less than normal. It will
    make
    : my mouse freeze up for a couple seconds till it clears up. If I'm
    : running my TV tuner, it gets all snowy too. Same thing happens if I
    run
    : my Microwave oven at the same time.
    :
    : Anyway, will a UPS or line conditioner help this problem. If so, any
    : recommendations on brands or models to look at?
    :
    : Thanks.
    : --
    : Slacker
    Mellowed, Apr 19, 2004
  5. Slacker

    pk Guest

    "Slacker" <> wrote in message
    > Getting clean, reliable power where I live is sometimes a problem.
    > Occasionally there are power outages, only for about a second, but
    > enough to shut down the computer.
    >
    > More often the power is dirty or a little less than normal. It will make
    > my mouse freeze up for a couple seconds till it clears up. If I'm
    > running my TV tuner, it gets all snowy too. Same thing happens if I run
    > my Microwave oven at the same time.
    >
    > Anyway, will a UPS or line conditioner help this problem. If so, any
    > recommendations on brands or models to look at?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Slacker

    I have an APC BackUPS 650S and I've never had a problem with it. Over the
    winter, my space heater tripped the breakers in my apartment a few times but
    my two systems (350W and 480W power supplies) stayed up and running until I
    went downstairs to flip the breakers back on. Cool, because you can get one
    more frag in before shutting down safely :)

    PK
    pk, Apr 19, 2004
  6. Slacker

    Ryan 8088 Guest

    Are people still playing Quake?
    <snip>

    Ryan 8088, Apr 19, 2004
  7. Slacker

    philo Guest

    "Slacker" <> wrote in message
    > Getting clean, reliable power where I live is sometimes a problem.
    > Occasionally there are power outages, only for about a second, but
    > enough to shut down the computer.
    >
    > More often the power is dirty or a little less than normal. It will make
    > my mouse freeze up for a couple seconds till it clears up. If I'm
    > running my TV tuner, it gets all snowy too. Same thing happens if I run
    > my Microwave oven at the same time.
    >
    > Anyway, will a UPS or line conditioner help this problem. If so, any
    > recommendations on brands or models to look at?

    you should get a UPS

    a good UPS will provide power during a power outage and also serve as a line
    conditioner.

    a line conditioner will not provide any backup power...so you will loose
    your system if there is a power outage longer than one cycle
    philo, Apr 19, 2004