    However, my TV is capable of 1080p, and so I wonder if it's worthwhile to
    spend the extra money on the DV-981HD model that's capable of upscaling to
    1080p, as opposed to just 720p or 1080i.
    Doug Jacobs, Jan 29, 2007

  2. You wrote:

    > With my new HDTV due to arrive on Thursday, I'm already contemplating
    > my next purchase - an upscaling DVD player.
    >
    > Oppo's DV-970HD and DV-971HD models have gotten very good reviews and
    > are very reasonably priced.
    >
    > However, my TV is capable of 1080p, and so I wonder if it's worthwhile
    > to spend the extra money on the DV-981HD model that's capable of
    > upscaling to 1080p, as opposed to just 720p or 1080i.

    The 981 combines the best features of the 971 and 970. It has HDMI like
    the 970, but plays SACD and DVD-A like the 971 and also has the Faroudja
    scaler. As long as your display isn't known to have a problem with
    macroblocking from the Faroudja, I'd go with the 981. Oh, and it's also
    DEAD SILENT :).
    Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute, Jan 29, 2007

  3. Doug Jacobs

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute <> wrote:

    > The 981 combines the best features of the 971 and 970. It has HDMI like
    > the 970, but plays SACD and DVD-A like the 971 and also has the Faroudja
    > scaler. As long as your display isn't known to have a problem with
    > macroblocking from the Faroudja, I'd go with the 981. Oh, and it's also
    > DEAD SILENT :).

    How would I find out (without actually buying the player first ;) if my
    set's going to have this problem or not? I'm getting a Sony 60" SXRD
    (KDS60A2000) The 60" XBR has a slightly better picture, but was more
    expensive, and is too wide to fit into our entertainment unit. At least
    that made the choice easier.

    --
    Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
    http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98
    Doug Jacobs, Jan 30, 2007

    Search for your TV on www.avsforum.com. Lots of Oppo DVD owners there.
    Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute, Jan 31, 2007
  5. Doug Jacobs

    ThePunisher Guest

    "Doug Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    > With my new HDTV due to arrive on Thursday, I'm already contemplating
    > my next purchase - an upscaling DVD player.
    >
    > Oppo's DV-970HD and DV-971HD models have gotten very good reviews and
    > are very reasonably priced.
    >
    > However, my TV is capable of 1080p, and so I wonder if it's
    > worthwhile to spend the extra money on the DV-981HD model that's
    > capable of upscaling to 1080p, as opposed to just 720p or 1080i.

    Why don't you try your new TV with your old DVD player first since the
    upscaling in your TV might be just as good as an upscaling DVD player.

    --
    ThePunisher
    ThePunisher, Jan 31, 2007