    These used to work well, but now the ones they sell just shut down and don't
    even turn Windows off.

    Specifically the new ones I get from APC seem worthless.. Thanks.

    SRC, Mar 12, 2010

  2. I am using an APC Back-UPS RS-1000 with Windows 7 and it meets or
    exceeds all your criteria below using the APC PCPE_2.2 software.

    In fact I have been using APC UPS hardware for almost 20 years now and
    have absolutely no complaints at all!

    Bobby Johnson, Mar 12, 2010

  3. You'll need software to shut down the PC - most companies, including APC,
    ship something with their UPSs, or have it for download on their sites.
    Windows used to have a built in UPS application, but Server 2008 dropped
    that.

    Sizing the UPS will control how long you get to run without power. For a
    typical workstation, a 500-750 VA UPS should be sufficient to give you that
    long, though the VA isn't the only determinant of how long it will last, but
    does tell you what load it can handle.

    All UPSs will beep at you when the power is off. Some of them have software
    options to disable that. But pretty much all of them have it on by default.

    There are many other considerations when talking about UPSs, including
    online/offline, true sine wave or not, and response time. Within a given
    product line, you pretty much get what you pay for.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 12, 2010
  4. SRC

    James Kosin Guest

    On 3/12/2010 5:30 PM, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > You'll need software to shut down the PC - most companies, including
    > APC, ship something with their UPSs, or have it for download on their
    > sites. Windows used to have a built in UPS application, but Server 2008
    > dropped that.
    >
    > Sizing the UPS will control how long you get to run without power. For a
    > typical workstation, a 500-750 VA UPS should be sufficient to give you
    > that long, though the VA isn't the only determinant of how long it will
    > last, but does tell you what load it can handle.
    >
    > All UPSs will beep at you when the power is off. Some of them have
    > software options to disable that. But pretty much all of them have it on
    > by default.
    >
    > There are many other considerations when talking about UPSs, including
    > online/offline, true sine wave or not, and response time. Within a given
    > product line, you pretty much get what you pay for.

    The software from APC will even let you tell it you want the beeping
    turned OFF during certain hours of the day.

    I use to use TripLite, but have come around to using APC.

    Almost all UPS companies have simple calculators you can use to
    determine how long the system will last on a given load.

    Usually, though the longer you want expect to pay a bit more for the
    UPS. But, it is worth the extra money.

    James

    James Kosin, Mar 13, 2010
  5. SRC

    Drew Guest

    I have got to go along with the others and say APC. I also have been using
    there upper end UPS for home/office and have never had a problem with
    shutdowns. Sizing it properly and staying away from the very low end
    supplies and you will be fine. just my 3 cents.

    Drew, Mar 13, 2010
  6. SRC

    Jim Guest

    I currently have three APC units. Two are the same model, and one is
    their more "industrial" models with a NIC and it is programmable. It
    will shut down a *specific* machine by IP address. I have been using
    that unit for five years, and the other units for even longer, with
    battery replacements when necessary. APC provides *superlative*
    technical support. (They have won lots of awards. They also have
    "third parties" which service their equipment when it becomes "end of
    life." Their software is also first-rate. I have been extremely
    satisfied with my APC units, their tech support, and the length of
    life of their batteries. When the batteries fail early, their
    warranty provides a free replacement.

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 14, 2010
  7. SRC

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > I currently have three APC units. Two are the same model, and one is
    > their more "industrial" models with a NIC and it is programmable. It
    > will shut down a *specific* machine by IP address. I have been using
    > that unit for five years, and the other units for even longer, with
    > battery replacements when necessary. APC provides *superlative*
    > technical support. (They have won lots of awards. They also have
    > "third parties" which service their equipment when it becomes "end of
    > life." Their software is also first-rate. I have been extremely
    > satisfied with my APC units, their tech support, and the length of
    > life of their batteries. When the batteries fail early, their
    > warranty provides a free replacement.

    I had specified APC units for the computers at work for years. Recently,
    I tried to save the Tribe some money by buying TrippLite. Big mistake!
    The TrippLite units couldn't handle the load even though it was well
    within the spec limits. I replaced them with APCs and we now have no
    problems. I was penny wise and pound foolish but never again. Sometimes
    a bargain is no bargain!

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Mar 14, 2010