    (I'm trying to start this service so the UPS tab will display in Power
    Options so I can get my laptop to communicate with my APC Smart-UPS v/
    s 650 on COM4 via a Keyspan USB Serial Adaptor.)

    jdimester, Oct 24, 2007

  2. jdimester

    olfart Guest

    "jdimester" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I can't start the "Uninterruptible Power Supply" service in XP Pro
    > sp2; I get:
    > "Could not start the Uninterruptible Power Supply service on Local
    > Computer. Error 2481: The UPS service is not configured correctly."
    >

    > (I'm trying to start this service so the UPS tab will display in Power
    > Options so I can get my laptop to communicate with my APC Smart-UPS v/
    > s 650 on COM4 via a Keyspan USB Serial Adaptor.)

    did you install the software for the UPS?

    olfart, Oct 24, 2007

  3. jdimester

    Guest

    jdimester <> wrote:

    >I can't start the "Uninterruptible Power Supply" service in XP Pro
    >sp2; I get:
    >"Could not start the Uninterruptible Power Supply service on Local
    >Computer. Error 2481: The UPS service is not configured correctly."
    >

    >(I'm trying to start this service so the UPS tab will display in Power
    >Options so I can get my laptop to communicate with my APC Smart-UPS v/
    >s 650 on COM4 via a Keyspan USB Serial Adaptor.)

    Do you have a COM4?

    Start | Run <type in>
    devmgmt.msc
    <enter>
    Under Ports.

    If not you need to add one by using the Control panel / Add new
    hardware.

    --

    bubble wrap.
    http://public.aregner.com/bubblewrap.swf

    , Oct 24, 2007
  4. jdimester wrote:
    > I can't start the "Uninterruptible Power Supply" service in XP Pro
    > sp2; I get:
    > "Could not start the Uninterruptible Power Supply service on Local
    > Computer. Error 2481: The UPS service is not configured correctly."
    >

    > (I'm trying to start this service so the UPS tab will display in Power
    > Options so I can get my laptop to communicate with my APC Smart-UPS v/
    > s 650 on COM4 via a Keyspan USB Serial Adaptor.)

    Google is your friend, dumbass.

    Paige D'Winter, Oct 24, 2007
  5. jdimester

    jdimester Guest

    > did you install the software for the UPS?

    thanks, but APC and I found that their software no longer supports my
    model.

    > Do you have a COM4?
    >
    > Start | Run <type in> devmgmt.msc <enter> Under Ports

    thanks, yes I do.

    > Google is your friend, dumbass.

    rest assured that I googled this matter extensively before looking to
    you for help, thanks.

    JS

    jdimester, Oct 31, 2007
  6. jdimester

    enigma_ticanomaly

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Possible solution found

    I think I have fixed this problem.

    This problem appeared on a server that I admin.

    Previously, I had used a UPS connected to a COM port, and am sure the UPS service was functioning. After replacing the UPS and using the USB connection is most likely where the problem began.

    Because the configuration for the COM port UPS was never erased, when the HID-Battery device was installed, I'm sure the UPS tab was disabled and the service was disabled, but the configuration was still set up for the old UPS. I noticed this under the UPS Service settings in the registry. The easiest way to erase those settings and configure them for default is to simply select (None) from the "Select..." section of the UPS tab.

    Since the UPS tab somehow disappeared, we need to get that back first.
    There is a simple registry key entry to add to make this tab show again.

    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UPS

    Value Name: ShowUPSTab
    Data Type : REG_DWORD
    Data Value: 1

    Once you have modified the registry with this value, re-open the power control panel, press "Select...", and choose (None)

    You may have to select a random UPS and apply those settings if (None) is already selected, then change back to (None) and apply again.

    This should default your UPS configuration.

    enigma_ticanomaly, Nov 5, 2009
  7. jdimester

    moc.hooha

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Thanks, that worked! The UPS tab is back, at the minimum.

    moc.hooha, Jan 23, 2010