    experience.

    Thanks for any help anyone can give.
    , Jan 20, 2006

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    spewed forth:
    > I'm having some trouble (duh) with my computer,I'm pretty good with
    > most things about a computer,i built my own. one thing is,I never
    > really had any problems with a UPS or power strip until now.
    > problem is,when i play a new game i have,my 250watt UPS starts beeping
    > (comp is taking more power than the UPS can supply). I am wondering if
    > I need a larger,320watt UPS (best i can afford) or should I get a less
    > expensive,max output 1800watts power strip? I just want this game to
    > run without my comp being starved for power.
    > I currently have as my primary PSU a 400watt Rosewill.
    >
    > The power supply and UPS is pretty much my last 'unknown' in my tech
    > experience.
    >
    > Thanks for any help anyone can give.

    If you have a real gaming machine, you should probably be using a UPS with
    much higher watts. Did you research that at all? Try this web site for a
    starting point:

    http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 20, 2006

  3. me Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > spewed forth:
    >> I'm having some trouble (duh) with my computer,I'm pretty good with
    >> most things about a computer,i built my own. one thing is,I never
    >> really had any problems with a UPS or power strip until now.
    >> problem is,when i play a new game i have,my 250watt UPS starts beeping
    >> (comp is taking more power than the UPS can supply). I am wondering if
    >> I need a larger,320watt UPS (best i can afford) or should I get a less
    >> expensive,max output 1800watts power strip? I just want this game to
    >> run without my comp being starved for power.
    >> I currently have as my primary PSU a 400watt Rosewill.
    >>
    >> The power supply and UPS is pretty much my last 'unknown' in my tech
    >> experience.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help anyone can give.

    > If you have a real gaming machine, you should probably be using a UPS

    I prefer Fedex :)
    me, Jan 20, 2006
  4. Howdy!

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm having some trouble (duh) with my computer,I'm pretty good with
    > most things about a computer,i built my own. one thing is,I never
    > really had any problems with a UPS or power strip until now.
    > problem is,when i play a new game i have,my 250watt UPS starts beeping
    > (comp is taking more power than the UPS can supply). I am wondering if
    > I need a larger,320watt UPS (best i can afford) or should I get a less
    > expensive,max output 1800watts power strip? I just want this game to
    > run without my comp being starved for power.

    You're confusing two things.

    A UPS can supply power for a short time (usually 5 to 15 minutes,
    although longer IS possible) when mains power goes out.

    A surge protector will only block surges, does jack shit for power
    outages.

    So - if you NEED a UPS, then yes, you need a bigger one. If the PSU
    is a 400W, add to that the wattage for your monitor, double, and that's the
    wattage you'll want on the UPS.

    If you don't need a UPS, why do you have that 250W one in the line?

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 21, 2006
  5. w_tom Guest

    RWP has asked the question you should be asking first. That 250 watt
    limit only occurs when a computer grade UPS is in battery backup mode.
    Otherwise computer is directly connected to AC mains via an internal
    relay. So why is that UPS beeping? Defective internal battery?
    Something wrong with household wiring (does each wire wrap around the
    wall receptacle screw or does it plug into the back of each receptacle
    causing intermittents)?

    All this is irrelevant to what is happening inside a computer. The
    computer's power supply must work just fine even when AC mains voltage
    drops so low that incandescent bulbs are at 40% intensity. And if that
    voltage drops farther, then the power supply 'system' (which is more
    than just a power supply) tells the CPU to shutdown.

    Your original question is about insufficient power. Therefore get a
    3.5 digit multimeter. Measure voltages on the purple, red, orange, and
    yellow wires from supply to motherboard. With computer accessing all
    peripherals simultaneously, those voltages should remain above 4.87,
    3.22, and 11.75. If not, your power supply is defective. Meanwhile,
    the market is chock full of 'defective by design' power supplies
    because so many computer assemblers don't know of so many functions
    required inside a power supply. Too often, the naive will buy a power
    supply only on dollars and watts.

    But for now, address questions asked by RWP. Then get a ubiquitous
    3.5 digit multimeter to learn what is happening inside that computer.

    w_tom, Jan 21, 2006
  6. Howdy!

    "w_tom" <> wrote in message
    > RWP has asked the question you should be asking first. That 250 watt
    > limit only occurs when a computer grade UPS is in battery backup mode.

    Actually *ahem* A REAL UPS runs off the batteries all the time, but
    just keep them charged.

    A lot of the backup power supplies sold as UPSen will also bitch
    about excessive current on the load EVEN WHEN ON MAINS. This is to keep you
    from running an excessive current that the BPS can't handle on battery.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 21, 2006
  7. Leythos Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "w_tom" <> wrote in message
    > > RWP has asked the question you should be asking first. That 250 watt
    > > limit only occurs when a computer grade UPS is in battery backup mode.

    > Actually *ahem* A REAL UPS runs off the batteries all the time, but
    > just keep them charged.
    >
    > A lot of the backup power supplies sold as UPSen will also bitch
    > about excessive current on the load EVEN WHEN ON MAINS. This is to keep you
    > from running an excessive current that the BPS can't handle on battery.

    Yep, I see this too. There are many APC units, on the low end, that use
    the inverter all the time, and if you connect a FAX machine and a
    typical computer into them, they fault....

    I had a customer complain one time that their computer would reboot
    without warning.... to make a long story short, when I was onsite I had
    used it for about 30 minutes without problem, could not detect anything
    wrong, the person in area to the left reached down and put a paper in
    the fax/copier (small unit) and hit fax and the UPS beeped and the
    computer shut-down (power cycled).... Seems that they had decided to
    connect the fax to the Battery side of the UPS against my
    instructions....

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Jan 21, 2006