UPNP Internet Gateway keeps dropping with Belkin WiFi Router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by CJSnet, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. CJSnet

    CJSnet Guest

    Hi all, I have:

    WinXP Pro SP2
    Belkin Wireless G Plus router (F5D7231-4 with latest firmware)
    Internet Gateway and UPNP enabled in XP
    UPNP enabled in my Router's admin page

    However, at random intervals the Internet Gateway connection vanishes, the
    icon disappears from Network Connections, and the connection icon goes from
    the tasktray. Then many file transfers such as MSN slow down.

    The only way to get it back is to go into my router's admin page...

    UPNP Enabling:
    ADVANCED FEATURE! Allows you to turn the UPNP feature of the Router on or
    off. If you use applications that support UPnP, enabling UPnP will allow
    these applications to automatically configure the router. More Info
    - UPNP Enable / Disable

    ....and disable, then enable it. The icon then comes back and stays maybe
    for a few hours, maybe a couple of days. Nothing specific seems to cause it
    to disappear.

    Any ideas?
    --
    Thanks.

    CJSnet

    (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

    CJSnet, Apr 21, 2006

  2. CJSnet

    Kerry Brown Guest

    I have seen this before. It appears that something in MSN causes it,
    possibly an addon of some kind. The only solution I could come up with was
    to disable UPnP on the router permanently.

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Kerry Brown, Apr 21, 2006

  3. CJSnet

    CJSnet Guest

    Nooo -- don't say that!

    Anyone else got any other experience or ideas on this?

    CJSnet, Apr 22, 2006
  4. CJSnet

    Kerry Brown Guest

    It's not that big a deal to manually configure the router to forward ports.
    UPnP is really just a convenience.

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Kerry Brown, Apr 22, 2006
  5. CJSnet

    Chuck Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:55:05 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    <*a*m> wrote:

    >"CJSnet" <> wrote in message
    >> Nooo -- don't say that!
    >>
    >> Anyone else got any other experience or ideas on this?
    >> --
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> CJSnet
    >>
    >> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)
    >>

    >> "Kerry Brown" <*a*m> wrote in message
    >>>I have seen this before. It appears that something in MSN causes it,
    >>>possibly an addon of some kind. The only solution I could come up with was
    >>>to disable UPnP on the router permanently.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Kerry
    >>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    >It's not that big a deal to manually configure the router to forward ports.
    >UPnP is really just a convenience.

    Kerry,

    That's according to opinion. If you run any program on multiple computers, that
    runs as a server, and requires open incoming ports, for instance an Instant
    Messenger, UPnP is essential. And if you use DHCP, and have server programs,
    UPnP is essential.

    The other advantage is that UPnP compliant programs close the ports when they're
    not needed. So you don't end up with open ports going nowhere. Now an open
    port going nowhere is NOT a security risk, contrary to what some folks say. But
    it is untidy at best.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/nat-routers-with-upnp-security-risk-or.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/nat-routers-with-upnp-security-risk-or.html

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

    Chuck, Apr 22, 2006
  6. CJSnet

    Kerry Brown Guest

    Chuck wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:55:05 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    > <*a*m> wrote:
    >
    >> "CJSnet" <> wrote in message
    >>> Nooo -- don't say that!
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else got any other experience or ideas on this?
    >>> --
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> CJSnet
    >>>
    >>> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)
    >>>

    >>> "Kerry Brown" <*a*m> wrote in message

    >> It's not that big a deal to manually configure the router to forward
    >> ports. UPnP is really just a convenience.

    > Kerry,
    >
    > That's according to opinion. If you run any program on multiple
    > computers, that runs as a server, and requires open incoming ports,
    > for instance an Instant Messenger, UPnP is essential. And if you use
    > DHCP, and have server programs, UPnP is essential.
    >
    > The other advantage is that UPnP compliant programs close the ports
    > when they're not needed. So you don't end up with open ports going
    > nowhere. Now an open port going nowhere is NOT a security risk,
    > contrary to what some folks say. But it is untidy at best.
    > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/nat-routers-with-upnp-security-risk-or.html>
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/nat-routers-with-upnp-security-risk-or.html

    I do all that and more on my home network and have UPnP disabled. UPnP has
    always freaked me out security wise as I'm never sure what programs are UPnP
    enabled and what traffic they are allowing to pass through the router. It
    certainly makes things easier and more convenient but so far I haven't found
    anything that needs it to work. I do agree that the fact that it closes
    ports when not being used is cool.

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Kerry Brown, Apr 22, 2006
  7. CJSnet

    Chuck Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 20:41:48 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    <*a*m> wrote:

    >Chuck wrote:
    >> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:55:05 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    >> <*a*m> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "CJSnet" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's not that big a deal to manually configure the router to forward
    >>> ports. UPnP is really just a convenience.

    >> Kerry,
    >>
    >> That's according to opinion. If you run any program on multiple
    >> computers, that runs as a server, and requires open incoming ports,
    >> for instance an Instant Messenger, UPnP is essential. And if you use
    >> DHCP, and have server programs, UPnP is essential.
    >>
    >> The other advantage is that UPnP compliant programs close the ports
    >> when they're not needed. So you don't end up with open ports going
    >> nowhere. Now an open port going nowhere is NOT a security risk,
    >> contrary to what some folks say. But it is untidy at best.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/nat-routers-with-upnp-security-risk-or.html>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/nat-routers-with-upnp-security-risk-or.html

    >I do all that and more on my home network and have UPnP disabled. UPnP has
    >always freaked me out security wise as I'm never sure what programs are UPnP
    >enabled and what traffic they are allowing to pass through the router. It
    >certainly makes things easier and more convenient but so far I haven't found
    >anything that needs it to work. I do agree that the fact that it closes
    >ports when not being used is cool.

    How do you forward ports, if your network uses DHCP? How do you allow the same
    IM program to run on multiple computers? Can you do file transfer, audio, and
    video?

    If you worry about unknown UPnP programs allowing traffic to pass thru the
    router, maybe you should worry more about what programs you have on your
    computer, in general. Trustworthy programs can be trusted. Untrustworthy
    programs will likely do more nasty things than just open ports without you
    knowing.

    If you depend upon outbound filtering (or worry about rogue UPnP programs) for
    security, you have already lost the battle. By the time a rogue program gets
    around to mucking with UPnP, who knows what else it's done? You must control
    what runs on your computer.

    Chuck, Apr 22, 2006
  8. CJSnet

    Kerry Brown Guest

    Chuck wrote:

    <snipped>

    >>> That's according to opinion. If you run any program on multiple
    >>> computers, that runs as a server, and requires open incoming ports,
    >>> for instance an Instant Messenger, UPnP is essential. And if you
    >>> use DHCP, and have server programs, UPnP is essential.
    >>>
    >>> The other advantage is that UPnP compliant programs close the ports
    >>> when they're not needed. So you don't end up with open ports going
    >>> nowhere. Now an open port going nowhere is NOT a security risk,
    >>> contrary to what some folks say. But it is untidy at best.
    >>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/nat-routers-with-upnp-security-risk-or.html>
    >>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/nat-routers-with-upnp-security-risk-or.html

    >> I do all that and more on my home network and have UPnP disabled.
    >> UPnP has always freaked me out security wise as I'm never sure what
    >> programs are UPnP enabled and what traffic they are allowing to pass
    >> through the router. It certainly makes things easier and more
    >> convenient but so far I haven't found anything that needs it to
    >> work. I do agree that the fact that it closes ports when not being
    >> used is cool.

    > How do you forward ports, if your network uses DHCP? How do you
    > allow the same IM program to run on multiple computers? Can you do
    > file transfer, audio, and video?
    >
    > If you worry about unknown UPnP programs allowing traffic to pass
    > thru the router, maybe you should worry more about what programs you
    > have on your computer, in general. Trustworthy programs can be
    > trusted. Untrustworthy programs will likely do more nasty things
    > than just open ports without you knowing.
    >
    > If you depend upon outbound filtering (or worry about rogue UPnP
    > programs) for security, you have already lost the battle. By the time
    > a rogue program gets around to mucking with UPnP, who knows what else
    > it's done? You must control what runs on your computer.

    I generally agree with you about knowing what's on your computer I know
    what's on all of mine but I don't know what's on the others on the network.
    It's a home network. Malware gets on computers. It is only a matter of time
    before malware exploits UPnP. I do admit that UPnP makes things much easier
    and I leave it enabled for most customer's home networks.

    I have seen something very similar to the OP's problem a couple of times
    where when using MSN Messenger the network keeps losing the connection for a
    few seconds to a minute or two. Exiting MSN Messenger or disabling UPnP on
    the router made the problem go away. What actually caused it I don't know.
    It may have been a bug in the router's firmware. Both were D-Links. Both
    were also using Messenger Plus.

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Kerry Brown, Apr 22, 2006
  9. CJSnet

    Chuck Guest

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 00:40:52 +0100, "CJSnet" <> wrote:

    >"Kerry Brown" <*a*m> wrote in message

    >> CJSnet wrote:
    >>> Hi all, I have:
    >>>
    >>> WinXP Pro SP2
    >>> Belkin Wireless G Plus router (F5D7231-4 with latest firmware)
    >>> Internet Gateway and UPNP enabled in XP
    >>> UPNP enabled in my Router's admin page
    >>>
    >>> However, at random intervals the Internet Gateway connection
    >>> vanishes, the icon disappears from Network Connections, and the
    >>> connection icon goes from the tasktray. Then many file transfers
    >>> such as MSN slow down.
    >>> The only way to get it back is to go into my router's admin page...
    >>>
    >>> UPNP Enabling:
    >>> ADVANCED FEATURE! Allows you to turn the UPNP feature of the Router
    >>> on or off. If you use applications that support UPnP, enabling UPnP
    >>> will allow these applications to automatically configure the router.
    >>> More Info - UPNP Enable / Disable
    >>>
    >>> ...and disable, then enable it. The icon then comes back and stays
    >>> maybe for a few hours, maybe a couple of days. Nothing specific
    >>> seems to cause it to disappear.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >>I have seen this before. It appears that something in MSN causes it,
    >>possibly an addon of some kind. The only solution I could come up with was
    >>to disable UPnP on the router permanently.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kerry
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >>

    >Nooo -- don't say that!
    >
    >Anyone else got any other experience or ideas on this?
    >--
    >Thanks.
    >
    >CJSnet
    >
    >(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

    Try the DSLR Belkin forum.
    <http://www.dslreports.com/forum/belkin>

    Chuck, Apr 22, 2006
  10. CJSnet

    CJSnet Guest

    > I have seen something very similar to the OP's problem a couple of times
    > where when using MSN Messenger the network keeps losing the connection for
    > a few seconds to a minute or two. Exiting MSN Messenger or disabling UPnP
    > on the router made the problem go away. What actually caused it I don't
    > know. It may have been a bug in the router's firmware. Both were D-Links.
    > Both were also using Messenger Plus.

    I think I'd rather keep reactivating UPnP when it drops, than open the ports
    and take on a security risk. I do use other programs that support UPnP like
    Overnet, eDonkey, Skype, BitTorrent...

    It does seem to tie in with MSN as I rarely use that, even though it is
    always running. I also don't have MSN Messenger Plus, and have the latest
    firmware for the router, which is also the latest model.

    CJSnet, Apr 22, 2006
  11. I saw this issue on a different vendor's router that used the Broadcom
    chipset. The random ports used my MSN Messenger would fill up all the
    slots (or enough of them) in the UPnP forwarding slots as they did not
    clean up after themselves. It eventually caused the router to not pass
    traffic. Whether this was classified by the vendor as a MSN Messenger
    bug or a router bug, I don't remember. But since it didn't impact
    other routers, my conclusion is... Eventually the vendor released a
    firmware update that alleviated the issue.

    I use a different vendors routers now..

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:44:16 +0100, "CJSnet"
    <> wrote:

    >> I have seen something very similar to the OP's problem a couple of times
    >> where when using MSN Messenger the network keeps losing the connection for
    >> a few seconds to a minute or two. Exiting MSN Messenger or disabling UPnP
    >> on the router made the problem go away. What actually caused it I don't
    >> know. It may have been a bug in the router's firmware. Both were D-Links.
    >> Both were also using Messenger Plus.

    >I think I'd rather keep reactivating UPnP when it drops, than open the ports
    >and take on a security risk. I do use other programs that support UPnP like
    >Overnet, eDonkey, Skype, BitTorrent...
    >
    >It does seem to tie in with MSN as I rarely use that, even though it is
    >always running. I also don't have MSN Messenger Plus, and have the latest
    >firmware for the router, which is also the latest model.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Apr 22, 2006
  12. CJSnet

    Socrates Guest

    However, at random intervals the Internet Gateway connection
    >>> vanishes, the icon disappears from Network Connections, and the
    >>> connection icon goes from the tasktray.

    Turn off WZC utility as that has a bug in it that will keep changing to another network signal if it detects one. Use the native wireless configuration utilities of the adapters/router.

    You can also pull out and re-instert the adapter while windows is running to get it to be recognised by windows.

    Wireless Networking FAQ
    www.amw1.com/faq

    Socrates, Apr 22, 2006
  13. CJSnet

    CJSnet Guest

    Cheers, I'll give that WZC a go and see if it works.

    CJSnet, Apr 22, 2006
  14. CJSnet

    CJSnet Guest

    Thanks Barb. I have e-mailed Belkin so we shall see. I also have tried
    disabling WZC as apparently that can help.

    Are there any tweaks in MSN I can do to limit the number of slots? Or will
    Windows Live Messenger behave a bit better do you know? I could try that
    beta if the slots code has been revamped.

    CJSnet, Apr 22, 2006
  15. CJSnet

    CJSnet Guest

    ....cancel that, didn't work :( Gateway dropped 30 mins. after doing it.
    Any other ideas?

    CJSnet, Apr 22, 2006
  16. CJSnet

    Chuck Guest

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:47:27 +0100, "CJSnet" <> wrote:

    >"CJSnet" <> wrote in message
    >> Cheers, I'll give that WZC a go and see if it works.
    >> --
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> CJSnet
    >>
    >> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)
    >>
    >> "Socrates" <> wrote in message
    >> However, at random intervals the Internet Gateway connection

    >> Turn off WZC utility as that has a bug in it that will keep changing to
    >> another network signal if it detects one. Use the native wireless
    >> configuration utilities of the adapters/router.
    >>
    >> You can also pull out and re-instert the adapter while windows is running
    >> to get it to be recognised by windows.
    >>
    >> Wireless Networking FAQ
    >> www.amw1.com/faq
    >>

    >> "Chuck" <> wrote in message

    >>> Try the DSLR Belkin forum.
    >>> <http://www.dslreports.com/forum/belkin>
    >>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/belkin

    >...cancel that, didn't work :( Gateway dropped 30 mins. after doing it.
    >Any other ideas?

    Make sure that the Intel / WZC conflict wasn't the only one, and check
    thoroughly. WiFi client conflicts are a good candidate still.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/stabilise-your-wifi-use-only-one-wifi.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/stabilise-your-wifi-use-only-one-wifi.html

    And please type your answers after mine - it will benefit both of us.
    Especially if you use a signature, and a sig delimiter ("-- "). Help us to help
    you.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html#TopPosting>

    Chuck, Apr 22, 2006
  17. CJSnet

    CJSnet Guest

    "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:47:27 +0100, "CJSnet" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"CJSnet" <> wrote in message
    >>> Cheers, I'll give that WZC a go and see if it works.
    >>> --
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> CJSnet
    >>>
    >>> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)
    >>>
    >>> "Socrates" <> wrote in message
    >>> However, at random intervals the Internet Gateway connection
    >>>
    >>> Turn off WZC utility as that has a bug in it that will keep changing to
    >>> another network signal if it detects one. Use the native wireless
    >>> configuration utilities of the adapters/router.
    >>>
    >>> You can also pull out and re-instert the adapter while windows is
    >>> running
    >>> to get it to be recognised by windows.
    >>>
    >>> Wireless Networking FAQ
    >>> www.amw1.com/faq
    >>>

    >>> "Chuck" <> wrote in message

    >>...cancel that, didn't work :( Gateway dropped 30 mins. after doing it.
    >>Any other ideas?

    > Make sure that the Intel / WZC conflict wasn't the only one, and check
    > thoroughly. WiFi client conflicts are a good candidate still.
    > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/stabilise-your-wifi-use-only-one-wifi.html>
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/stabilise-your-wifi-use-only-one-wifi.html
    >
    > And please type your answers after mine - it will benefit both of us.
    > Especially if you use a signature, and a sig delimiter ("-- "). Help us
    > to help
    > you.
    > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html#TopPosting>
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html#TopPosting

    Hope people can find this reply all the way down here!

    Anyway, I only have 1 WiFi Manager running and that is WinXP's built-in one.
    I never install other ones. The PC itself is wired not wireless, straight
    into the router.
    --
    Thanks,
    CJSnet

    I recommend www.Superhighstreet.com/Home Finds anything or they'll buy it
    for you!

    [remove 'teeth' to e-mail me]

    CJSnet, Apr 22, 2006
  18. CJSnet

    Chuck Guest

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:22:46 +0100, "CJSnet" <> wrote:

    >"Chuck" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:47:27 +0100, "CJSnet" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"CJSnet" <> wrote in message

    >>>...cancel that, didn't work :( Gateway dropped 30 mins. after doing it.
    >>>Any other ideas?

    >> Make sure that the Intel / WZC conflict wasn't the only one, and check
    >> thoroughly. WiFi client conflicts are a good candidate still.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/stabilise-your-wifi-use-only-one-wifi.html>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/stabilise-your-wifi-use-only-one-wifi.html
    >>
    >> And please type your answers after mine - it will benefit both of us.
    >> Especially if you use a signature, and a sig delimiter ("-- "). Help us
    >> to help
    >> you.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html#TopPosting>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html#TopPosting

    >Hope people can find this reply all the way down here!
    >
    >Anyway, I only have 1 WiFi Manager running and that is WinXP's built-in one.
    >I never install other ones. The PC itself is wired not wireless, straight
    >into the router.

    OK, I'm confused. You have a computer with Ethernet, or WiFi? Which computer
    loses connectivity?

    How about you show us "ipconfig /all" from each computer.

    Chuck, Apr 22, 2006
  19. i don't think there are any tweaks - but sure, try the new version and
    see what happens.

    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Apr 22, 2006
  20. CJSnet

    CJSnet Guest

    "Chuck" <> wrote in message

    > OK, I'm confused. You have a computer with Ethernet, or WiFi? Which
    > computer
    > loses connectivity?

    Sorry to confuse. I have one computer which is wired into the Wireless
    Router. The WiFi part of things helps with my Media Center Extenders and my
    Windows Mobile device.

    The computer in question is the one which loses the Internet Gateway at
    random intervals.
    --
    Thanks,
    CJSnet