Uploading to internet for storage while travelling

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lobster, Dec 31, 2006.

  1. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
    during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many
    digital photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us
    (other than a Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the
    time - I envisage simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card
    reader) together with a USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're
    at, and uploading them to somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get
    home. This means we could travel light, and also not have the worry
    about losing equipment and photos while away.

    One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
    email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
    1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?

    My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
    can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
    rules out other options.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Lobster, Dec 31, 2006

  2. Lobster

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Lobster" <> wrote in message
    >I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
    >during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many digital
    >photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us (other than a
    >Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the time - I envisage
    >simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card reader) together with a
    >USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're at, and uploading them to
    >somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get home. This means we could travel
    >light, and also not have the worry about losing equipment and photos while
    >away.
    >
    > One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
    > email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for 1000
    > photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?
    >
    > My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
    > can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
    > rules out other options.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    You want to look at a hosting service. Prices are reasonable.

    This is who I use, there are many others ...

    http://www.hostexcellence.com/

    The smallest account includes 5 gig storage. If you need more, bigger
    accounts are available.

    You want to setup an FTP account for yourself.

    Accessing the account from a public PC will be via a link similar to
    something like

    ftp://rudybenner.com/

    where you will be asked for a username and password.

    A friend and his colleague recently went to Russia, I had setup an account
    for him, they used this method to transfer to the account, while his wife
    downloaded using the same method. Several thousand pictures were transferred
    by this method.

    If you want a demo, email me at rudy at rudybenner dot com
    Rudy Benner, Dec 31, 2006

  3. Lobster

    Robert Guest

    Try one (or all) of these:

    www.xdrive.com (5GB Free)
    www.mediamax.com (25GB Free but with upload/download limits)
    www.box.net (1GB Free)
    www.mozy.com (2GB Free)

    Robert, Dec 31, 2006
  4. Lobster

    Ken Lucke Guest

    <> wrote:

    > I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
    > during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many
    > digital photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us
    > (other than a Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the
    > time - I envisage simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card
    > reader) together with a USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're
    > at, and uploading them to somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get
    > home. This means we could travel light, and also not have the worry
    > about losing equipment and photos while away.
    >
    > One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
    > email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
    > 1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?

    You don't have to limit to one email per photo, but you do have to take
    into account that many mail servers have a maximum total size for any
    mail that they refuse to exceed, thus you arelimited by the total size
    of all the attachments. However, mail is, as you say, a very
    inefficient way of doing this, and you also have to remember that your
    ISP will also be limiting your total mailbox size (not sure exactly
    what those limits are with gmail), so you could end up with them
    clearing it out and losing all your photos if you exceed their limits.

    > My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
    > can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
    > rules out other options.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes, if you are really serious about being reasonably secure in not
    losing photos:

    Purchase a domain and have it hosted on a third party server - I
    recommend pair.com, which is who I have used for the last 10 years or
    so. You don't have to put up a website or anything if you don't feel
    like it (you could always do so later) - just use the storage.

    You can then use sFTP, SSH, or other secure connection method (remember
    that some internet cafés may be maliciously monitoring you without your
    permission, so always use secure methods of transmitting your
    passwords/data) to upload your pictures into your own directory.

    Also, this has the advantage in that most web server hosting companies
    do their own regular backups, so you've got that security as well.
    You can also set up with friends to access your shell account while you
    are gone to download your stuff and archive it for you (buy an external
    drive for them to use exclusively for your photos). Plus, you can
    always download yourt files again whenever you want while on the road.

    I pay $10/year per domain name (but I get it at cost+donation from a
    colleague who does DNS registration through OpenSRS, so yours would be
    more like $20/year). I pay about $125/year (after discounts for
    paying 12 months at a time) for the webserver + shell account + FTP/SSH
    access. I also host about a dozen other sites with their own domain
    names on the same server for my businesses and friends, and they help
    defray my costs, so that looks higher than it actually is. You don't
    even absoilutely HAVE to have a domain name - you can access your
    server (http, ftp, ssh, or any other method) by using the assigned IP
    address that the hosting company will give you, so you can save that
    little expense if you desire.

    If you are factoring ALL of this into the overall cost of your trip,
    it's minimal - total of under $500 (and THAT's including the purchase
    of an 250GB or larger external drive as mentioned above) for a year's
    - a dozen dinners at a McD's instead of a fancy restaurant.

    I would also take an external CD/DVD burner with you and burn copies of
    your files and then snail-mail them to yourself at home for additional
    security - plus, you could keep small .jpg copies with you at all times
    for review/display on your CD/DVDs.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Dec 31, 2006
  5. In article <ClUlh.22294$>,
    says...

    > One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
    > email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
    > 1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?
    >
    > My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
    > can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
    > rules out other options.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    One of the perpetual problems..

    If we don't have a laptop with us I take a 40GB image tank which reads
    CF cards directly. Alternatively I can use my MP3 player, which has USB
    host function, in conjunction with the camera or a card reader. Only USB
    1.1 though so uploading a 1 GB card is a pain. On the other hand it
    takes RAW files which the (elderly) image tank does not..

    My daughter has been travelling in SE Asia for the last six months and
    we set up an old PC to act as an FTP server at home (Dead easy to do).
    Trouble is that upload speeds from most Internet Cafes is pretty poor.

    A lot depends on how long you are travelling for, but I would probably
    suggest picking up a cheap image tank of some sort and getting the files
    burnt onto CD or DVD as and when you can. Burn two copies, keep one
    with you and mail one home or to a friend/family member.

    Depending on how many photographs you intend taking, you might get away
    with buying half a dozen 1GB cards and burning to CD once a week.. With
    cards going for around a tenner each it's a viable option.

    Not an answer, but a few alternatives to think about.

    T.

    Tony Gartshore, Dec 31, 2006
  6. Lobster

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Robert" <> wrote in message
    > Try one (or all) of these:
    >
    > www.xdrive.com (5GB Free)
    > www.mediamax.com (25GB Free but with upload/download limits)
    > www.box.net (1GB Free)
    > www.mozy.com (2GB Free)

    Almost seems to good to be true. Gotta check it out.
    Rudy Benner, Dec 31, 2006
  7. Lobster

    RonB Guest

    If you expect to have access to computers, why not pack a handful of CDs or
    DVDs? They do not take much space. We do normally carry a laptop, but on
    occasion we use the services of local libraries for pc use. You could
    download to the pc over to disk and you're finished. No fees (well, some
    libraries do charge a dollar or two).

    RonB

    RonB, Dec 31, 2006
  8. Lobster

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:39:14 +0000, Lobster wrote:

    > I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
    > during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many
    > digital photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us
    > (other than a Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the
    > time - I envisage simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card
    > reader) together with a USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're
    > at, and uploading them to somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get
    > home. This means we could travel light, and also not have the worry
    > about losing equipment and photos while away.
    >
    > One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
    > email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
    > 1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?
    >
    > My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
    > can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
    > rules out other options.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    One other option would be a personal web site from a commercial web host
    like netfirms.com. You could upload via ftp to you web site. Another
    option only slightly more convenient than taking a computer would be a
    portable external drive or one of the external units which attaches to the
    camera to download pics.
    ray, Dec 31, 2006
  9. Lobster

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <ClUlh.22294$>,
    Lobster <> wrote:
    >I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
    >during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many
    >digital photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us
    >(other than a Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the
    >time - I envisage simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card
    >reader) together with a USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're
    >at, and uploading them to somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get
    >home. This means we could travel light, and also not have the worry
    >about losing equipment and photos while away.
    >
    >One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
    >email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
    >1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?
    >
    >My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
    >can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
    >rules out other options.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks

    I've just heard someone I tend to trust say good things about this
    online backup service. I haven't played with it yet.

    http://www.carbonite.com/

    I have no relationship to Carbonite. I'm not even a customer, yet.

    You can get google accounts for free, at 2GB each, I guess.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    Harrison for Congress in NY 13CD www.harrison06.com
    Al Dykes, Dec 31, 2006
  10. Lobster

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ClUlh.22294$>,
    > Lobster <> wrote:
    >>I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
    >>during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many
    >>digital photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us
    >>(other than a Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the
    >>time - I envisage simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card
    >>reader) together with a USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're
    >>at, and uploading them to somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get
    >>home. This means we could travel light, and also not have the worry
    >>about losing equipment and photos while away.
    >>
    >>One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
    >>email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
    >>1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per
    >>photo!?
    >>
    >>My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
    >>can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
    >>rules out other options.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    > I've just heard someone I tend to trust say good things about this
    > online backup service. I haven't played with it yet.
    >
    > http://www.carbonite.com/
    >
    > I have no relationship to Carbonite. I'm not even a customer, yet.
    >
    > You can get google accounts for free, at 2GB each, I guess.
    >

    > --
    > a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    > Harrison for Congress in NY 13CD www.harrison06.com
    > Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001

    Keep in mind that the OP wants to be able to access from ANY PC in any
    location. This means no installed software requirement.
    Rudy Benner, Dec 31, 2006
  11. Lobster

    JC Dill Guest

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:39:14 GMT, Lobster
    <> wrote:

    >I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
    >during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many
    >digital photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us
    >(other than a Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the
    >time - I envisage simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card
    >reader) together with a USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're
    >at, and uploading them to somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get
    >home.

    >My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long!

    One option (if you are shooting in jpeg) is a smugmug.com account.
    You get unlimited upload space AND you can setup galleries of your
    photos as you go along so others can see the shots you took. You can
    make any given gallery public or private - you can upload all your
    photos into private galleries, then pick the best and copy them to
    public galleries.

    Smugmug has a free 7-day trial so you can setup an account and play
    around with it to see if it works for you. If you are interested in
    trying Smugmug, feel free to email me for a discount code you can use
    when you setup your account. (Disclaimer, I earn a discount on my SM
    renewal fees when you use my referal code.)

    jc

    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
    JC Dill, Jan 1, 2007
  12. In article <311220061222284941%>,
    Ken Lucke <> wrote:

    > You can then use sFTP, SSH, or other secure connection method (remember
    > that some internet cafés may be maliciously monitoring you without your
    > permission, so always use secure methods of transmitting your
    > passwords/data) to upload your pictures into your own directory.

    It takes only one malicious employee, to say put a keylogger on a PC.

    --
    Divided we stand!
    Walter Bushell, Jan 1, 2007
  13. Lobster

    Stewy Guest

    In article <ClUlh.22294$>,
    Lobster <> wrote:

    > I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
    > during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many
    > digital photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us
    > (other than a Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the
    > time - I envisage simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card
    > reader) together with a USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're
    > at, and uploading them to somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get
    > home. This means we could travel light, and also not have the worry
    > about losing equipment and photos while away.
    >
    > One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
    > email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
    > 1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?
    >
    > My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
    > can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
    > rules out other options.

    For a number of years I've been traveling with an Apacer Disc Steno CDR
    burner. I have to be a little careful as the maximum capacity is 700mb
    and my CF card is 1gb. However it's rare for me to take more than 150
    pictures a day so it doesn't prove much of a problem. The advantage of
    the Apacer is I can make two copies of pictures I consider 'important'.
    CDRs are cheap and I normally carry a case of 24 giving me a capacity of
    around 3600 pictures.
    Uploading to websites of causes problems as they could be compressed or
    lost if the server goes down. Another idea would be to get a photo store
    to download the pictures to CDR or DVD although many will be unwilling
    to do this unless you also order a set of prints.
    The only viable alternative to the Apacer would be
    http://www.peddlerstore.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=13&idpr
    oduct=111 for example.
    Stewy, Jan 1, 2007
  14. Lobster

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Stewy" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ClUlh.22294$>,
    > Lobster <> wrote:
    >
    >> I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
    >> during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many
    >> digital photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us
    >> (other than a Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the
    >> time - I envisage simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card
    >> reader) together with a USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're
    >> at, and uploading them to somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get
    >> home. This means we could travel light, and also not have the worry
    >> about losing equipment and photos while away.
    >>
    >> One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
    >> email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
    >> 1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per
    >> photo!?
    >>
    >> My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
    >> can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
    >> rules out other options.
    >>

    > For a number of years I've been traveling with an Apacer Disc Steno CDR
    > burner. I have to be a little careful as the maximum capacity is 700mb
    > and my CF card is 1gb. However it's rare for me to take more than 150
    > pictures a day so it doesn't prove much of a problem. The advantage of
    > the Apacer is I can make two copies of pictures I consider 'important'.
    > CDRs are cheap and I normally carry a case of 24 giving me a capacity of
    > around 3600 pictures.
    > Uploading to websites of causes problems as they could be compressed or
    > lost if the server goes down. Another idea would be to get a photo store
    > to download the pictures to CDR or DVD although many will be unwilling
    > to do this unless you also order a set of prints.
    > The only viable alternative to the Apacer would be
    > http://www.peddlerstore.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=13&idpr
    > oduct=111 for example.

    I found the Roadstor to be a better unit, commonly available on ebay. If you
    exceed the capacity of the CD, it will prompt you correctly.

    These are slow units but they work.

    I carry a 40 gig USB drive, I also backup to CD. Not all locations have
    internet access, and often speeds are slow.

    I use FTP for large volume transfers to and from friends all over the world.
    Rudy Benner, Jan 1, 2007
  15. Lobster

    Jer Guest

    Walter Bushell wrote:
    > In article <311220061222284941%>,
    > Ken Lucke <> wrote:
    >
    >> You can then use sFTP, SSH, or other secure connection method (remember
    >> that some internet cafés may be maliciously monitoring you without your
    >> permission, so always use secure methods of transmitting your
    >> passwords/data) to upload your pictures into your own directory.

    > It takes only one malicious employee, to say put a keylogger on a PC.

    Forget the malicious employee angle, one visit from the nice folks at
    the DHS and monitoring the usage of a public PC becomes an art form.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Jan 1, 2007
  16. Lobster

    Avi Guest

    Hi,
    As several others have suggested before, there are too many options.
    If you want to use gmail account for the purpose - the easiest thing to
    do is install firefox + GSpace extension. It shows your gmail account
    as a file store, and allows you to upload / download as many files you
    wish at one go. It even takes care of splitting large files (and
    joining when downloading), allows you to create directories on gmail
    account.... just too good!! Even if you are working from cyber cafes,
    it takes less than 2 minutes to download and install Gspace extension.

    get it from http://www.getgspace.com/

    :) you can create a separate gmail account only for file storage..
    without having to clutter your regular mail box.

    Happy new year & and have a great trip.

    --
    regards,
    Avi.

    Avi, Jan 1, 2007
  17. Lobster

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Alfred Molon, Jan 1, 2007
  18. Lobster

    Justin C Guest

    In article <>,
    Jer <> wrote:

    > Walter Bushell wrote:
    > > In article <311220061222284941%>,
    > > Ken Lucke <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> You can then use sFTP, SSH, or other secure connection method (remember
    > >> that some internet cafés may be maliciously monitoring you without your
    > >> permission, so always use secure methods of transmitting your
    > >> passwords/data) to upload your pictures into your own directory.

    > > It takes only one malicious employee, to say put a keylogger on a PC.
    > >

    > Forget the malicious employee angle, one visit from the nice folks at
    > the DHS and monitoring the usage of a public PC becomes an art form.

    But they're hardly likely to be interested in someone's holiday snaps, I
    think they have bigger fish to fry.

    The malicious employee is just that, malicious - I don't like internet
    cafe's... but I do like that my banks ask for (for example) password
    character 6, password character 4, password character 7. The malicious
    employee would need a screen shot as well as the keypresses - except I
    use mouse selection, *and* they'd have to try the site many times to get
    the same combination of password characters requested. I wish more
    organisations would use this type of security - gmail may not be a bank
    but I don't want to lose what I have there through inadequate security
    on their part.

    --
    Justin C, by the sea.
    Justin C, Jan 1, 2007
  19. Lobster

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 14:05:45 +0000, Justin C wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Jer <> wrote:
    >
    >> Walter Bushell wrote:

    >> > It takes only one malicious employee, to say put a keylogger on a PC.
    >> >

    >> Forget the malicious employee angle, one visit from the nice folks at
    >> the DHS and monitoring the usage of a public PC becomes an art form.

    > But they're hardly likely to be interested in someone's holiday snaps, I
    > think they have bigger fish to fry.
    >
    > The malicious employee is just that, malicious - I don't like internet
    > cafe's... but I do like that my banks ask for (for example) password
    > character 6, password character 4, password character 7. The malicious
    > employee would need a screen shot as well as the keypresses - except I
    > use mouse selection, *and* they'd have to try the site many times to get
    > the same combination of password characters requested. I wish more
    > organisations would use this type of security - gmail may not be a bank
    > but I don't want to lose what I have there through inadequate security
    > on their part.

    FWIW, keyloggers are easy to defeat, on Windows anyway. Windows has as
    one of its standard applications an "accessibility" tool called "on-screen
    keyboard" that lets you key anything with mouse clicks.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Jan 1, 2007
  20. Lobster

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 14:05:45 +0000, Justin C wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Jer <> wrote:

    >>> Forget the malicious employee angle, one visit from the nice folks at
    >>> the DHS and monitoring the usage of a public PC becomes an art form.

    >> But they're hardly likely to be interested in someone's holiday snaps, I
    >> think they have bigger fish to fry.
    >>
    >> The malicious employee is just that, malicious - I don't like internet
    >> cafe's... but I do like that my banks ask for (for example) password
    >> character 6, password character 4, password character 7. The malicious
    >> employee would need a screen shot as well as the keypresses - except I
    >> use mouse selection, *and* they'd have to try the site many times to get
    >> the same combination of password characters requested. I wish more
    >> organisations would use this type of security - gmail may not be a bank
    >> but I don't want to lose what I have there through inadequate security
    >> on their part.

    > FWIW, keyloggers are easy to defeat, on Windows anyway. Windows has as
    > one of its standard applications an "accessibility" tool called "on-screen
    > keyboard" that lets you key anything with mouse clicks.
    >
    > --
    > --John

    What a great idea.
    Rudy Benner, Jan 1, 2007