uploading problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Thatherton!, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. Thatherton!

    Thatherton! Guest

    For the past couple months I've had a problem whenever I try to upload a
    file. I have a dialup connection and am on Windows 98se. Downloading
    is no problem. The problem arises whenever I try to send a file as an
    email attachment or via a file-sharing application. Basically, the
    upload will stop after a short time before the upload has completed --
    sometimes a few minutes, sometimes a few seconds -- and the will modem
    will freeze. No further uploading or downloading. I'm still connected
    to my ISP, but my requests don't go through. To get back on line I have
    to disconnect and redial.
    I'm not talking about huge files. I'm talking just a couple
    hundred Kb or a few Mb.
    I had done some registry tweaks around the same time this problem
    began, so I thought those might be at the root of this problem. So over
    the weekend I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows. The
    problem persists, however.
    Here's the really odd thing: I'm able to send email attachments
    using my Hotmail account. I did an experiment last night. I tried to
    send a 1 Mb zip file of some photos using my email client. The upload
    timed out and the modem froze. After reconnecting, I tried sending the
    same zip file using Hotmail, and it went through with no problem.
    My ISP says the problem is on my end. I'm not sure I believe them.
    Can someone explain this?
    Thatherton!, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Thatherton!

    striker Guest

    Are you using a virus scan program, if you are it might be checking for a
    virus before finishing sending. I had a similar problem and when I
    configured virus scan to not check when sending it helped.

    striker, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Thatherton!

    Thatherton! Guest

    striker wrote:
    > Are you using a virus scan program, if you are it might be checking for a
    > virus before finishing sending. I had a similar problem and when I
    > configured virus scan to not check when sending it helped.
    >
    > "Thatherton!" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>For the past couple months I've had a problem whenever I try to upload a
    >>file. I have a dialup connection and am on Windows 98se. Downloading
    >>is no problem. The problem arises whenever I try to send a file as an
    >>email attachment or via a file-sharing application. Basically, the
    >>upload will stop after a short time before the upload has completed --
    >>sometimes a few minutes, sometimes a few seconds -- and the will modem
    >>will freeze. No further uploading or downloading. I'm still connected
    >>to my ISP, but my requests don't go through. To get back on line I have
    >>to disconnect and redial.
    >> I'm not talking about huge files. I'm talking just a couple
    >>hundred Kb or a few Mb.
    >> I had done some registry tweaks around the same time this problem
    >>began, so I thought those might be at the root of this problem. So over
    >>the weekend I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows. The
    >>problem persists, however.
    >> Here's the really odd thing: I'm able to send email attachments
    >>using my Hotmail account. I did an experiment last night. I tried to
    >>send a 1 Mb zip file of some photos using my email client. The upload
    >>timed out and the modem froze. After reconnecting, I tried sending the
    >>same zip file using Hotmail, and it went through with no problem.
    >> My ISP says the problem is on my end. I'm not sure I believe them.
    >> Can someone explain this?

    I do have an antivirus, but this problem affects not just emails but
    other uploads such as peer-to-peer sharing.
    Thatherton!, Dec 6, 2004