    any other pointers here?
    Thanks
    Kirk

    Kirk Davison, Jan 13, 2004

  2. "Kirk Davison" <> wrote in message
    news:usVMb.42199$Rc4.166493@attbi_s54...
    > I have a few questions I need help with
    > 1) I am uploading files to Wal-Mart to get 4x6 pictures made. They want

    it
    > in tif or jpg. What one is better? the jpg appears to be much smaller

    for
    > the same picture. Does this mean it is less quality?

    The difference in quality may not be noticable.

    > 2) I work in a program that came with the camera called photo deluxe. I
    > have to reduce the picture size to make it fit under the 4meg max using

    tif.
    > is this bad? would I be better off sending the whole picture with jpg?
    > 3)should I use the whole 4meg max on each picture?
    >
    > any other pointers here?
    > Thanks
    > Kirk

    The free softwarethat comes with a camera isn't usually very good. You can
    do better. I recommebnd Paint Shop Pro. It has one-click modules that do a
    good job on most photos, and then it has more powerful functions htta oyu
    can lear as oyu go. PC World recently rated it as "Best Buy" among several
    image editors. You can try it out free for 30 days by downloading it from
    www.jasc.com. When oyu are ready to buy, look for a sale. You can often
    get it for about half of list price.

    Marvin Margoshes, Jan 13, 2004

  3. "Kirk Davison" <> wrote in message
    > I have a few questions I need help with
    > 1) I am uploading files to Wal-Mart to get 4x6 pictures made. They want

    it
    > in tif or jpg. What one is better? the jpg appears to be much smaller

    for
    > the same picture. Does this mean it is less quality?

    Depends on how much smaller. Odds are at 4x6, you won't see any difference
    whatsoever.

    > 2) I work in a program that came with the camera called photo deluxe. I
    > have to reduce the picture size to make it fit under the 4meg max using

    tif.
    > is this bad? would I be better off sending the whole picture with jpg?

    Send it as a jpg.

    > 3)should I use the whole 4meg max on each picture?

    Not needed for 4x6.

    1 mb jpgs should be quite adequate for 4x6 and even 5x7 prints.

    - jz

    Jeff Zawrotny, Jan 13, 2004
  4. Kirk Davison

    c0smic Guest

    Kirk Davison wrote:

    > I have a few questions I need help with
    > 1) I am uploading files to Wal-Mart to get 4x6 pictures made. They want it
    > in tif or jpg. What one is better? the jpg appears to be much smaller for
    > the same picture. Does this mean it is less quality?
    > 2) I work in a program that came with the camera called photo deluxe. I
    > have to reduce the picture size to make it fit under the 4meg max using tif.
    > is this bad? would I be better off sending the whole picture with jpg?
    > 3)should I use the whole 4meg max on each picture?
    >
    > any other pointers here?
    > Thanks
    > Kirk

    1) Use the maximum pixel dimensions you can and save as a high quality
    JPG. I find that 4 megapixel RAW photos reduce very nicely to 3-4 MB
    using the highest quality "save as JPG" in Photoshop. If I try to save a
    TIFF as a 4 MB file, over half the pixels must be discarded. It is very
    difficult to see any difference between 4 megapixel TIFF and a 4 MB jpeg.

    2) It might be OK for 4x6, but maybe you might want an 8x10 someday. In
    that case you need the max number of pixels possible. Pixels rule.

    3) Sure. I always do and the Wal-Mart pics are great.

    Tip: If you order 8x10 prints and the person behind the counter can't
    seem to find them, tell them to look in the bottom drawer of the file
    cabinet. Happens every time :)

    c0smic, Jan 13, 2004
  5. Kirk Davison

    mark herring Guest

    See below

    --
    ******************
    Mark Herring

    *
    "Kirk Davison" <> wrote in message
    > I have a few questions I need help with
    > 1) I am uploading files to Wal-Mart to get 4x6 pictures made. They want

    it
    > in tif or jpg. What one is better?

    TIFF is better---no compression

    the jpg appears to be much smaller for
    > the same picture. Does this mean it is less quality?

    Yes, but: For snaps, a high-quality JPEG is very good, and saves bandwidth.

    > 2) I work in a program that came with the camera called photo deluxe. I
    > have to reduce the picture size to make it fit under the 4meg max using

    tif.
    > is this bad? would I be better off sending the whole picture with jpg?

    You are always better off not reducing resolution but using JPG instead.
    You will see loss of resolution long before you will ever see JPG artifacts

    > 3)should I use the whole 4meg max on each picture?

    Start with a full-res picture, save as a high-quality JPG. If you are still
    over the limit, go back to the orignal,a nd down-sample JUST ENOUGH to get
    under the wire, then save again as JPG

    Example:
    My 2MP Canon would make a 6Mbyte TIFF (If that option existed). As it is,
    it outputs a high qualtiy JPG at ~ 1Mbyte (6:1 compression)

    If you have a 5Mpixel camera (15Mbyte file), with 6:1 compression, you will
    get a 2.5 Mbyte file

    mark herring, Jan 13, 2004
  6. "Kirk Davison" <> wrote in message
    > I have a few questions I need help with
    > 1) I am uploading files to Wal-Mart to get 4x6 pictures made. They want

    it
    > in tif or jpg. What one is better? the jpg appears to be much smaller

    for
    > the same picture. Does this mean it is less quality?
    > 2) I work in a program that came with the camera called photo deluxe. I
    > have to reduce the picture size to make it fit under the 4meg max using

    tif.
    > is this bad? would I be better off sending the whole picture with jpg?
    > 3)should I use the whole 4meg max on each picture?
    >
    > any other pointers here?
    > Thanks
    > Kirk

    I would suggest going with someone like Costco for pictures. Wal-Mart is
    putting more small American businesses out to pasture than any other company
    or even industry.

    Dan J. Smereczynski, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Kirk Davison

    Why? Guest

    "Dan J. Smereczynski" <> wrote in message

    > I would suggest going with someone like Costco for pictures. Wal-Mart is
    > putting more small American businesses out to pasture than any other

    company
    > or even industry.

    I always find this line of logic rather interesting. While I do not deny
    that Wal-Mart is the worlds largest retailer, what makes you think Costco
    does not aspire to take that crown?
    And what makes McDonalds, Exxon or safeway any more of a "good" community
    citizen. How many mom and pops did they displace on their way up the later?

    I am not really sure what the right anwer is, but I know it is not black or
    white, be it digital or film. Had to bring it back on topic :)

    Why?, Jan 13, 2004
  8. "Dan J. Smereczynski" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > I would suggest going with someone like Costco for pictures. Wal-Mart is
    > putting more small American businesses out to pasture than any other

    company
    > or even industry.

    And buying from Costco will help small American businesses how?

    Jeff Zawrotny, Jan 13, 2004
  9. "Jeff Zawrotny" <> wrote in message

    > "Dan J. Smereczynski" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > [snip]
    >

    > > I would suggest going with someone like Costco for pictures. Wal-Mart is
    > > putting more small American businesses out to pasture than any other

    > company
    > > or even industry.

    > And buying from Costco will help small American businesses how?

    It's a smaller operation, does not use predatory pricing practices that
    Wal-Mart does.

    Dan J. Smereczynski, Jan 13, 2004
  10. "Why?" <> wrote in message

    > "Dan J. Smereczynski" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I would suggest going with someone like Costco for pictures. Wal-Mart is
    > > putting more small American businesses out to pasture than any other

    > company
    > > or even industry.
    > >

    > I always find this line of logic rather interesting. While I do not deny
    > that Wal-Mart is the worlds largest retailer, what makes you think Costco
    > does not aspire to take that crown?
    > And what makes McDonalds, Exxon or safeway any more of a "good" community
    > citizen. How many mom and pops did they displace on their way up the

    later?

    > I am not really sure what the right anwer is, but I know it is not black

    or
    > white, be it digital or film. Had to bring it back on topic :)

    I am not talking competition here. I am talking about what Wal-Mart does to
    the folks that it buys from. Their 5% year over year mark down, basically
    FORCING American companies to go overseas (like Levis). This is not the same
    as McDonalds competing with a mom and pop restaurant. Huffy is another
    example. They were forced by Wal-Mart to be made in Asia.

    Dan J. Smereczynski, Jan 13, 2004
  11. "Jeff Zawrotny" <> wrote in message

    > "Dan J. Smereczynski" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > [snip]
    >

    > > I would suggest going with someone like Costco for pictures. Wal-Mart is
    > > putting more small American businesses out to pasture than any other

    > company
    > > or even industry.

    > And buying from Costco will help small American businesses how?

    Read this, very interesting. This and other similar articles made me turn
    away from Wal-mart.

    http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

    Dan J. Smereczynski, Jan 13, 2004
  12. "Dan J. Smereczynski" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Zawrotny" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Dan J. Smereczynski" <> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > [snip]
    > >

    > > > I would suggest going with someone like Costco for pictures. Wal-Mart

    is
    > > > putting more small American businesses out to pasture than any other

    > > company
    > > > or even industry.

    > > And buying from Costco will help small American businesses how?
    > >

    > It's a smaller operation, does not use predatory pricing practices that
    > Wal-Mart does.

    I've been to Costco. Last time I checked, their prices were pretty damned
    low, and they were no more a local company than Wal-Mart.

    Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't see moving your business from one big national
    company to another big national company does anything to help small local
    businesses.

    - jz

    Jeff Zawrotny, Jan 13, 2004
  13. Kirk Davison

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Kirk Davison wrote:

    > I have a few questions I need help with
    > 1) I am uploading files to Wal-Mart to get 4x6 pictures made. They want it
    > in tif or jpg. What one is better? the jpg appears to be much smaller for
    > the same picture. Does this mean it is less quality?
    > 2) I work in a program that came with the camera called photo deluxe. I
    > have to reduce the picture size to make it fit under the 4meg max using tif.
    > is this bad? would I be better off sending the whole picture with jpg?
    > 3)should I use the whole 4meg max on each picture?
    >
    > any other pointers here?
    > Thanks
    > Kirk

    For 4x6, it probably doesn't matter that you use .jpg. TIF is quite
    large if not compressed, and there is little to gain at that print size.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 14, 2004
  14. Kirk Davison

    Rick Guest

    I also don't patronize Wal-Mart for the same reason plus many others, I feel
    every time someone goes into their store and spends a dollar their telling
    Wal-Mart that their way of doing business is ok.
    It's not a perfect world but we all have our limits.

    Rick

    > "Jeff Zawrotny" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Dan J. Smereczynski" <> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > [snip]
    > >

    > > > I would suggest going with someone like Costco for pictures. Wal-Mart

    is
    > > > putting more small American businesses out to pasture than any other

    > > company
    > > > or even industry.

    > > And buying from Costco will help small American businesses how?
    > >

    > Read this, very interesting. This and other similar articles made me turn
    > away from Wal-mart.
    >
    > http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

    ---

    Rick, Jan 15, 2004
  15. Kirk Davison

    Richard Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > I also don't patronize Wal-Mart for the same reason plus many others, I

    feel
    > every time someone goes into their store and spends a dollar their telling
    > Wal-Mart that their way of doing business is ok.
    > It's not a perfect world but we all have our limits.
    >
    > Rick

    And the US wonders why many in the rest of the world are not enamoured with
    them? While there is very little wrong with the average American, your Big
    Business has probably created more problems in the rest of the world than
    the advantages given in their pursuit of business. Some examples:

    Angola: oil companies propping up the various parties, also in Nigeria;
    Iraq: Halliburton rules;
    The world: software licences rather than outright purchase

    Regards
    Richard
    in sunny South Africa

    And the funny thing is that South Africa is getting a similar reputation in
    the rest of southern Africa as it business ruthlessly expand.

    m> wrote in message

    [snip]

    Richard, Jan 16, 2004