    every time I go to an internet cafe while on the road. Are there any
    other options?

    Viviane
    Viviane, Jan 15, 2007

  2. Viviane

    Cgiorgio Guest

    True, Canon cameras require a driver to be installed under WinXP. You can
    remove the SD - card from the camera and put it into a card reader which
    does not require installation of a driver under WinXP. I do not know if
    Mexican internet café owners will allow you connect such devices however. I
    have also seen portable CD recorders with a built in card reader and a
    processor which lets you copy the contents of a memory card to a CD.

    Cgiorgio, Jan 15, 2007

  3. Viviane

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Viviane" <> writes:
    > I don't know much about cameras but I need one for my upcoming trip in
    > Mexico because I would like to keep a blog and upload pictures from
    > Internet cafes along the way for friends and family to see. Problem is,
    > as I understand it, i need to install software on my computer to upload
    > the pictures from my Canon A530 onto the Web. I can't really do this
    > every time I go to an internet cafe while on the road. Are there any
    > other options?

    If the cafe computers have USB ports you could just bring an SD card
    reader. Then you could upload the pictures to a web site like flickr
    or imageshack.
    Paul Rubin, Jan 15, 2007
  4. Viviane

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Cgiorgio wrote:
    > True, Canon cameras require a driver to be installed under WinXP. You can
    > remove the SD - card from the camera and put it into a card reader which
    > does not require installation of a driver under WinXP. I do not know if
    > Mexican internet café owners will allow you connect such devices however. I
    > have also seen portable CD recorders with a built in card reader and a
    > processor which lets you copy the contents of a memory card to a CD.
    >
    > "Viviane" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> I don't know much about cameras but I need one for my upcoming trip in
    >> Mexico because I would like to keep a blog and upload pictures from
    >> Internet cafes along the way for friends and family to see. Problem is,
    >> as I understand it, i need to install software on my computer to upload
    >> the pictures from my Canon A530 onto the Web. I can't really do this
    >> every time I go to an internet cafe while on the road. Are there any
    >> other options?
    >>
    >> Viviane

    Canon cameras DO NOT require special drivers when connected to winxp.

    If you don't believe it plug a canon into a winxp machine that's never
    seen a canon. Canon camera will show in widows explorer and under my
    computer. Winxp will also launch the camera and scanner wizard (which
    can be used). Either way you will get pictures, it doesn't show as a hd
    and you won't see the same layout as if you used a card reader, but you
    will see picture filenames. You can copy these to the computer hd,
    upload to a website, send as an email attachment or simply delete. A
    card reader may be preferred for other reasons (like speed and battery
    power).
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jan 15, 2007
  5. Viviane

    Cgiorgio Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Canon cameras DO NOT require special drivers when connected to winxp.
    >
    > If you don't believe it plug a canon into a winxp machine that's never
    > seen a canon. Canon camera will show in widows explorer and under my
    > computer. Winxp will also launch the camera and scanner wizard (which can
    > be used). Either way you will get pictures, it doesn't show as a hd and
    > you won't see the same layout as if you used a card reader, but you will
    > see picture filenames. You can copy these to the computer hd, upload to a
    > website, send as an email attachment or simply delete. A card reader may
    > be preferred for other reasons (like speed and battery power).
    > Dave Cohen

    Excuse my ignorance, I got the impression from other posts. I installed the
    Canon stuff on my XP computer before connecting the camera.
    Cgiorgio, Jan 15, 2007
  6. Viviane

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Cgiorgio wrote:
    > "Dave Cohen" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Canon cameras DO NOT require special drivers when connected to winxp.
    >>
    >> If you don't believe it plug a canon into a winxp machine that's never
    >> seen a canon. Canon camera will show in widows explorer and under my
    >> computer. Winxp will also launch the camera and scanner wizard (which can
    >> be used). Either way you will get pictures, it doesn't show as a hd and
    >> you won't see the same layout as if you used a card reader, but you will
    >> see picture filenames. You can copy these to the computer hd, upload to a
    >> website, send as an email attachment or simply delete. A card reader may
    >> be preferred for other reasons (like speed and battery power).
    >> Dave Cohen

    > Excuse my ignorance, I got the impression from other posts. I installed the
    > Canon stuff on my XP computer before connecting the camera.

    No problem, I've also read those other posts. I think the confusion is
    the fact that it doesn't appear as a drive and what you actually see is
    different from that seen when using a card reader. One day I'll do a
    search on MTP to find out how this all works. There is a driver involved
    but winxp already has it. I suppose the canon one could be a later version.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jan 16, 2007