uploading images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Cooper, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    My Nikon digital quit working, so I replaced it with a Canon digital.
    I now have several options for uploading images from the camera to the
    computer. I tried Nikon's program, and Canon's program, but I'm used
    to the Microsoft standard upload program. I think I have a couple of
    other options, but I've never checked them out.

    What's your favorite, and why? Any features with any of the options
    that stand out?
    Tony Cooper, Sep 2, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Tony Cooper

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Tony Cooper wrote:

    > My Nikon digital quit working, so I replaced it with a Canon digital.
    > I now have several options for uploading images from the camera to the
    > computer. I tried Nikon's program, and Canon's program, but I'm used
    > to the Microsoft standard upload program. I think I have a couple of
    > other options, but I've never checked them out.
    >
    > What's your favorite, and why? Any features with any of the options
    > that stand out?


    I use a CF card reader.. The main reason is because it's *MUCH*
    faster downloading using a reader than downloading from the camera.

    Canon cameras aren't the speediest at transferring data (Unless
    you've got one of the high end DSLR's with USB2)
    Jim Townsend, Sep 2, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:31:53 -0500, Jim Townsend <>
    wrote:

    >Tony Cooper wrote:
    >
    >> My Nikon digital quit working, so I replaced it with a Canon digital.
    >> I now have several options for uploading images from the camera to the
    >> computer. I tried Nikon's program, and Canon's program, but I'm used
    >> to the Microsoft standard upload program. I think I have a couple of
    >> other options, but I've never checked them out.
    >>
    >> What's your favorite, and why? Any features with any of the options
    >> that stand out?

    >
    >I use a CF card reader.. The main reason is because it's *MUCH*
    >faster downloading using a reader than downloading from the camera.
    >
    >Canon cameras aren't the speediest at transferring data (Unless
    >you've got one of the high end DSLR's with USB2)
    >

    I don't have card reader since the few extra seconds or minutes
    required don't affect me all that much.

    Is the reading program choice the same, though? Do you still upload
    through the Canon or the Nikon or the Microsoft program?
    Tony Cooper, Sep 2, 2004
    #3
  4. Tony Cooper

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Tony Cooper wrote:


    > I don't have card reader since the few extra seconds or minutes
    > required don't affect me all that much.
    >
    > Is the reading program choice the same, though? Do you still upload
    > through the Canon or the Nikon or the Microsoft program?


    No. I don't use any program. When I plug the CF card into the
    reader, a window opens and I treat it just like a drive.

    I highlight the files and drag them into my directory of choice.

    This method is incredibly fast, simple and foolproof.
    Jim Townsend, Sep 2, 2004
    #4
  5. "Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My Nikon digital quit working, so I replaced it with a Canon digital.
    > I now have several options for uploading images from the camera to the
    > computer. I tried Nikon's program, and Canon's program, but I'm used
    > to the Microsoft standard upload program. I think I have a couple of
    > other options, but I've never checked them out.
    >
    > What's your favorite, and why? Any features with any of the options
    > that stand out?


    I usually ignore the transfer programs, download through a card reader and
    fiddle with photoshop. A lot of these generic programs will apply some kind
    of compression to the images.
    DAVID TENNYSON, Sep 3, 2004
    #5
  6. Tony Cooper

    Matt Ion Guest

    Tony Cooper wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:31:53 -0500, Jim Townsend <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Tony Cooper wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>My Nikon digital quit working, so I replaced it with a Canon digital.
    >>>I now have several options for uploading images from the camera to the
    >>>computer. I tried Nikon's program, and Canon's program, but I'm used
    >>>to the Microsoft standard upload program. I think I have a couple of
    >>>other options, but I've never checked them out.
    >>>
    >>>What's your favorite, and why? Any features with any of the options
    >>>that stand out?

    >>
    >>I use a CF card reader.. The main reason is because it's *MUCH*
    >>faster downloading using a reader than downloading from the camera.
    >>
    >>Canon cameras aren't the speediest at transferring data (Unless
    >>you've got one of the high end DSLR's with USB2)
    >>

    >
    > I don't have card reader since the few extra seconds or minutes
    > required don't affect me all that much.
    >
    > Is the reading program choice the same, though? Do you still upload
    > through the Canon or the Nikon or the Microsoft program?


    I use a cardreader with my Canon's CF card, but still transfer using
    Canon's ZoomBrowser... I too like that it creates folders for files
    based on the shooting dates (and more importantly, gives that as one of
    a few options).
    Matt Ion, Sep 3, 2004
    #6
  7. Tony Cooper

    SonyBoy Guest

    I always use a card reader which is permanently connected to my computer.
    Tom

    "Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Tony Cooper wrote:
    >
    > > My Nikon digital quit working, so I replaced it with a Canon digital.
    > > I now have several options for uploading images from the camera to the
    > > computer. I tried Nikon's program, and Canon's program, but I'm used
    > > to the Microsoft standard upload program. I think I have a couple of
    > > other options, but I've never checked them out.
    > >
    > > What's your favorite, and why? Any features with any of the options
    > > that stand out?

    >
    > I use a CF card reader.. The main reason is because it's *MUCH*
    > faster downloading using a reader than downloading from the camera.
    >
    > Canon cameras aren't the speediest at transferring data (Unless
    > you've got one of the high end DSLR's with USB2)
    >
    >
    SonyBoy, Sep 7, 2004
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. informant

    Re: uploading images by users

    informant, Feb 24, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    385
    Bill Jackson
    Feb 25, 2004
  2. H. S.
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    5,512
    Crownfield
    Sep 29, 2003
  3. Stephen Stormont

    Can recover old images from SmartMedia card, but not recent images

    Stephen Stormont, Oct 14, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    529
    Brian E. Ashley
    Oct 20, 2003
  4. Keith Irvin

    Uploading Images For Camera-Based Slide Shows

    Keith Irvin, Nov 25, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    248
    David J Taylor
    Nov 25, 2005
  5. 257roberts

    uploading Picasa2 images to processor

    257roberts, Oct 28, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    283
    Neil Ellwood
    Oct 29, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page