Uploading Digital Photos to Digital Camera via Flash Card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JB, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. JB

    JB Guest

    I have a Canon G3, Macintosh G4 and Sandisk Firewire Flash Card
    Reader. It is my fervent desire to retouch some of my photos and
    upload them back to the camera via the flash card for a slide show. I
    used Photoshop to do the re-touching, but when I examine the
    re-touched photo on the camera display I get a message that the photo
    is "incompatible", and it is scrunched and tiny in the display. I have
    tried a couple of different 'saves' vs. 'save as' and a couple of
    different editing programs. Still the camera will not recognize the
    edited photo.

    I am believing that the photo editing program strips away some of the
    camera and photo info and that that might be the reason that the camea
    no longer recognizes the photo. I don't think it has to do with the
    file structure as I have edited the photo directly from the card and
    not moved the location of the photo. I used Canon's File Viewer
    Utility, and there is definitely a loss of file information on the
    re-touched photo.

    Does anyone know of a photo editing program, Macintosh compatible,
    that will not discard the photo data (EXIF data?) when doing a save?
    Is this a project that I will just need to abandon?

    Thanks for your input and expertise.
    Regards, JB <>

    JB, Jan 8, 2004

  2. JB

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 8 Jan 2004 15:25:06 -0800, in rec.photo.digital (JB)
    wrote:

    >I have a Canon G3, Macintosh G4 and Sandisk Firewire Flash Card
    >Reader. It is my fervent desire to retouch some of my photos and
    >upload them back to the camera via the flash card for a slide show. I
    >used Photoshop to do the re-touching, but when I examine the
    >re-touched photo on the camera display I get a message that the photo
    >is "incompatible", and it is scrunched and tiny in the display. I have
    >tried a couple of different 'saves' vs. 'save as' and a couple of
    >different editing programs. Still the camera will not recognize the
    >edited photo.

    >Does anyone know of a photo editing program, Macintosh compatible,
    >that will not discard the photo data (EXIF data?) when doing a save?
    >Is this a project that I will just need to abandon?

    Don't know of a solution on the Mac platform, but for the Windows platform
    there is:
    http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/software/imaging.html#TVwriter
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Jan 8, 2004

  3. JB

    Ron&Joyce Guest

    When I went to the site TVwriter it had a virus . Good luck

    Ron&Joyce, Jan 8, 2004
  4. JB

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:47:03 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Ron&Joyce"
    <> wrote:

    >When I went to the site TVwriter it had a virus . Good luck

    Can you be more specific. I had no trouble whatsoever and David has been a
    long time contributor to this forum.

    Ed Ruf, Jan 9, 2004
  5. JB

    Ron Hunter Guest

    JB wrote:

    > I have a Canon G3, Macintosh G4 and Sandisk Firewire Flash Card
    > Reader. It is my fervent desire to retouch some of my photos and
    > upload them back to the camera via the flash card for a slide show. I
    > used Photoshop to do the re-touching, but when I examine the
    > re-touched photo on the camera display I get a message that the photo
    > is "incompatible", and it is scrunched and tiny in the display. I have
    > tried a couple of different 'saves' vs. 'save as' and a couple of
    > different editing programs. Still the camera will not recognize the
    > edited photo.
    >
    > I am believing that the photo editing program strips away some of the
    > camera and photo info and that that might be the reason that the camea
    > no longer recognizes the photo. I don't think it has to do with the
    > file structure as I have edited the photo directly from the card and
    > not moved the location of the photo. I used Canon's File Viewer
    > Utility, and there is definitely a loss of file information on the
    > re-touched photo.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a photo editing program, Macintosh compatible,
    > that will not discard the photo data (EXIF data?) when doing a save?
    > Is this a project that I will just need to abandon?
    >
    > Thanks for your input and expertise.
    > Regards, JB <>

    It may be more that just losing the EXIF data (many newer packages
    perserve that). It may be that the camera firmware expects a specific
    compression method, and their algorithm is not flexible enough to handle
    whatever your computer puts out.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 9, 2004
  6. JB wrote:

    > I have a Canon G3, Macintosh G4 and Sandisk Firewire Flash Card
    > Reader. It is my fervent desire to retouch some of my photos and
    > upload them back to the camera via the flash card for a slide show. I
    > used Photoshop to do the re-touching, but when I examine the
    > re-touched photo on the camera display I get a message that the photo
    > is "incompatible", and it is scrunched and tiny in the display. I have
    > tried a couple of different 'saves' vs. 'save as' and a couple of
    > different editing programs. Still the camera will not recognize the
    > edited photo.
    >
    > I am believing that the photo editing program strips away some of the
    > camera and photo info and that that might be the reason that the camea
    > no longer recognizes the photo. I don't think it has to do with the
    > file structure as I have edited the photo directly from the card and
    > not moved the location of the photo. I used Canon's File Viewer
    > Utility, and there is definitely a loss of file information on the
    > re-touched photo.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a photo editing program, Macintosh compatible,
    > that will not discard the photo data (EXIF data?) when doing a save?
    > Is this a project that I will just need to abandon?
    >
    > Thanks for your input and expertise.
    > Regards, JB <>

    David Taylor's site will do this with PCs , You might write him about the
    compatibility of his program with Macs.
    Alternatively, you can burn the edited images to a CD and play them on
    your TV with a DVD player.
    Make sure that the DVD player is jpeg compatible. Most new ones can play
    jpeg CDs but some of the older ones cannot. I see a lot of jpeg compatible
    DVD players for under $50 US.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Jan 9, 2004
  7. "Ron&Joyce" <> wrote in message
    > When I went to the site TVwriter it had a virus . Good luck

    If you thought this was the case, why did you not write to me and report
    the problem? There is no virus in TVwriter on my site. I have had no
    such other reports.

    Please check your virus scanning program, as it must be triggering on a
    sequence and making a false-positive.

    Thanks,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 9, 2004
  8. > David Taylor's site will do this with PCs , You might write him about
    the
    > compatibility of his program with Macs.

    Bob and others, there will be no Mac version of this program. Isn't there
    some sort of PC emulator for the Mac that could be used, though?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 9, 2004
  9. JB

    Guest

    JB <> wrote:
    > I have a Canon G3, Macintosh G4 and Sandisk Firewire Flash Card
    > Reader. It is my fervent desire to retouch some of my photos and
    > upload them back to the camera via the flash card for a slide show. I
    > used Photoshop to do the re-touching, but when I examine the
    > re-touched photo on the camera display I get a message that the photo
    > is "incompatible", and it is scrunched and tiny in the display. I have
    > tried a couple of different 'saves' vs. 'save as' and a couple of
    > different editing programs. Still the camera will not recognize the
    > edited photo.

    Try posting your request on a Macintosh newsgroup or check
    http://www.versiontracker.com to see if there is any software
    there that would allow you to upload photos to your camera from
    your Mac.

    , Jan 10, 2004
  10. JB

    JB Guest

    Thank you to all who posted replies to my question about uploading
    re-touched photos to my Canon G3 via my flash card.

    I haven't found a solution yet except to run the slide show from
    iPhoto or make the corrected photos into a Quicktime movie and run the
    slide shows from the computer and not the camera.

    I had been very excited when I read somewhere that it was possible to
    edit your photos and upload them back to your camera. I guess it just
    wasn't my photos or my camera they were talking about!

    Thank you and regards to all, JB :)

    JB, Jan 14, 2004
  11. JB

    netnews Guest

    --

    "JB" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you to all who posted replies to my question about uploading
    > re-touched photos to my Canon G3 via my flash card.
    >
    > I haven't found a solution yet except to run the slide show from
    > iPhoto or make the corrected photos into a Quicktime movie and run the
    > slide shows from the computer and not the camera.
    >
    > I had been very excited when I read somewhere that it was possible to
    > edit your photos and upload them back to your camera. I guess it just
    > wasn't my photos or my camera they were talking about!
    >
    > Thank you and regards to all, JB :)

    Hello JB
    I edit photos on my cf card. And have viewed them in the camera. I have
    taken these to the lab to be printed and have printed them from the card. I
    use photoshop to edit. Cameras, all Canon, 3 of them the s200 G1 D60
    What are you using to edit your pictures?
    David Holliday
    HollidayPhoto
    www.HollidayPhoto.com

    netnews, Jan 14, 2004
  12. JB

    JB Guest

    "netnews" <> wrote in message

    > I edit photos on my cf card. And have viewed them in the camera. I have
    > taken these to the lab to be printed and have printed them from the card. >I use photoshop to edit. Cameras, all Canon, 3 of them the s200, G1, D60.
    > What are you using to edit your pictures?
    > David Holliday
    > HollidayPhoto
    > www.HollidayPhoto.com

    -----------------------

    Hello David,
    I had understood that I could use Photoshop to edit the photos and
    then upload them back to camera (Canon G3) via the flash card
    (Sandisk), however, when I tried it I still got the pesky message that
    the format was not compatible with my camera. Curiously, the EXIF data
    was all still there after the edit, so I don't know why the camera
    refuses to acknowledge the edited photo. I'm using Photoshop 7.0.
    Thanks for your post to my query. Regards, JB :)

    JB, Jan 18, 2004
  13. JB

    Ron Hunter Guest

    JB wrote:

    > "netnews" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I edit photos on my cf card. And have viewed them in the camera. I have
    >>taken these to the lab to be printed and have printed them from the card. >I use photoshop to edit. Cameras, all Canon, 3 of them the s200, G1, D60.
    >> What are you using to edit your pictures?
    >>David Holliday
    >>HollidayPhoto
    >>www.HollidayPhoto.com
    >>

    > -----------------------
    >
    > Hello David,
    > I had understood that I could use Photoshop to edit the photos and
    > then upload them back to camera (Canon G3) via the flash card
    > (Sandisk), however, when I tried it I still got the pesky message that
    > the format was not compatible with my camera. Curiously, the EXIF data
    > was all still there after the edit, so I don't know why the camera
    > refuses to acknowledge the edited photo. I'm using Photoshop 7.0.
    > Thanks for your post to my query. Regards, JB :)

    Some cameras allow this, others don't. It might depend on just what you
    do with the picture. My camera allows some editing to be done.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 18, 2004
  14. JB

    Gill Couto Guest

    Some cameras don't take in normal image files. TVwriter will convert
    regular image files into camera-readable files for many camera models.
    It's great for tv slideshows:

    http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/software/imaging.html

    gill
    www.gillcouto.com