Uploading Advice

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Tommy Glassford, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. I don't know if your newsgroup can help me, if not then please accept my
    sincerest apologies and there's no need to read further.

    I've had all sorts of problems with my pc which I'll not bore you with
    because I think/feel that I've got the thing at least talking to me with a
    civil tongue in its head. The reason for my writing and mentioning the above
    is that I have a web site which I created using Microsoft FrontPage and I'm
    finding it impossible to upload. The site is simple text, no heavy duty
    graphics because it's a catalogue of some twenty odd years of writing
    lyrics. I've tried various FTP programs and failed in various ways which I
    can nolonger remember. I installed Windows XP Pro and I got the evaluation
    pack of WS_FTP Pro; still no joy.

    I've tried all versions of the address, the ISP I've tried to upload to is
    Dabsol. I've tried their support which is , but after over
    a month of sending them emails I gave up on that ISP and tried the ISP
    Virgin. That failed as well but their support gave me an immediate reply
    which advised the upload address being upload.virgin.net, I still didn't get
    anywhere and so I am now doing my Sherlock and dedusing that it's a problem
    either with the software (I'm asking Ipswitch for their advice) or this damn
    pc.

    The host address for Dabsol is www.thelyrics.dabsol.net, the user ID is
    'thelyrics', and I use my password. Now the user ID and the password must be
    correct because I'm able to gain access to the ISP and my mail etc. But the
    error messages that come back are 'connect failure' or 'Login Error'.

    I mean the computer might not be state of the art but it's a 1.33 GHz Athlon
    processor with 128MB of RAM, and it is so slow you wouldn't believe. I would
    sincerely and seriously welcome someone getting back to me out there and
    helping me before I go out the window before this damn computer does. My
    email address is .

    Failing that, thanks anyway for reading.

    Tommy Glassford, Sep 6, 2003

  2. Tommy Glassford

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 16:31:53 +0100, "Tommy Glassford"
    <> wrote:

    >I don't know if your newsgroup can help me, if not then please accept my
    >sincerest apologies and there's no need to read further.
    >
    >I've had all sorts of problems with my pc which I'll not bore you with
    >because I think/feel that I've got the thing at least talking to me with a
    >civil tongue in its head. The reason for my writing and mentioning the above
    >is that I have a web site which I created using Microsoft FrontPage and I'm
    >finding it impossible to upload. The site is simple text, no heavy duty
    >graphics because it's a catalogue of some twenty odd years of writing
    >lyrics. I've tried various FTP programs and failed in various ways which I
    >can nolonger remember. I installed Windows XP Pro and I got the evaluation
    >pack of WS_FTP Pro; still no joy.
    >
    >I've tried all versions of the address, the ISP I've tried to upload to is
    >Dabsol. I've tried their support which is , but after over
    >a month of sending them emails I gave up on that ISP and tried the ISP
    >Virgin. That failed as well but their support gave me an immediate reply
    >which advised the upload address being upload.virgin.net, I still didn't get
    >anywhere and so I am now doing my Sherlock and dedusing that it's a problem
    >either with the software (I'm asking Ipswitch for their advice) or this damn
    >pc.
    >
    >The host address for Dabsol is www.thelyrics.dabsol.net, the user ID is
    >'thelyrics', and I use my password. Now the user ID and the password must be
    >correct because I'm able to gain access to the ISP and my mail etc. But the
    >error messages that come back are 'connect failure' or 'Login Error'.
    >
    >I mean the computer might not be state of the art but it's a 1.33 GHz Athlon
    >processor with 128MB of RAM, and it is so slow you wouldn't believe. I would
    >sincerely and seriously welcome someone getting back to me out there and
    >helping me before I go out the window before this damn computer does. My
    >email address is .
    >
    >Failing that, thanks anyway for reading.

    Posting your email address to any news group these days is
    likely to result in a deluge of junkmail and is inadvisable.

    That is the security advice, after all this group is about security
    and not about creating and maintaining websites.

    FTP does seem to cause people problems, although It
    generally works well for me. WS_FTP in its various incarnations
    seems to be a solid, reliable well featured product.

    However, you may find something like leech FTP more
    basic and easier for a beginner.

    http://stud.fh-heilbronn.de/~jdebis/leechftp/

    To get a FTP program going you need to have three
    bits of information which your ISP can tell you

    the address to ftp to eg: ftp.mysite.com
    your user id eg: tommy
    the FTP password eg: ww45gf

    That should allow you to access your website. Different hosting
    providers structure things differently so your HTML root directory
    the place where it all starts, may be where you enter or there
    might be a directory shown called www or htdocs or something
    similar where your website actually begins. Again your hosting
    provider can tell you this because they know.

    Once you have mastered how to access your website by FTP
    You need to upload a file called index.htm or index.html which is
    the default page that web servers look for to display.

    After that part is done, the rest is just a matter of working at it.

    Your computer is more than fast enough, indeed I created
    my first websites using a 33mhz 486.

    Perhaps you should write a song about the joys of XP FTP
    and notworking computers.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 6, 2003