    to change to. Really just want to know if you get 256Kbps up as well as
    down or is the download speed limited ?

    TIA

    Chris Mayhew, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Can't find this info on the telecom site or some ISP's I have been
    > looking to change to. Really just want to know if you get 256Kbps up
    > as well as down or is the download speed limited ?
    >
    > TIA

    both.
    FTP's at about the same speed both ways

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Chris Mayhew <> writes:

    > Hi
    >
    > Can't find this info on the telecom site or some ISP's I have been looking
    > to change to. Really just want to know if you get 256Kbps up as well as
    > down or is the download speed limited ?
    >
    > TIA

    It's supposed to be symmetrical, but my experience, of 3 weeks, is
    that my average d/l speed is around 32Kbs, u/l around 23Kbs

    --
    Registered Linux User 297164
    GPG Key ID 1B1B6A1D5A2407C3

    Max Quordlepleen, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Max Quordlepleen <> wrote in

    > Chris Mayhew <> writes:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Can't find this info on the telecom site or some ISP's I have been
    >> looking to change to. Really just want to know if you get 256Kbps up
    >> as well as down or is the download speed limited ?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    > It's supposed to be symmetrical, but my experience, of 3 weeks, is
    > that my average d/l speed is around 32Kbs, u/l around 23Kbs

    Thanks for your replies. Of course what I ment to say was "is the upload
    speed limited ?" rather than "is the download speed limited ?" but I think
    yo probably figured out my mistake.

    Was wondering if the upload was limited to 128Kbps like the paradise cable
    (use to be ?). Since this isn't the case I might just look into this a bit
    further as it's only an extra $7 - $8 month for the 2,000MB plan (from
    jetstarter). While I could probably save money by going on the 1,000 MB
    plan you only need to go over by 50 MB (@ $0.20) to pay for the cost of the
    2,000 MB plan.

    Chris Mayhew, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Chris Mayhew <> writes:

    > Since this isn't the case I might just look into this a bit
    > further as it's only an extra $7 - $8 month for the 2,000MB plan (from
    > jetstarter). While I could probably save money by going on the 1,000 MB
    > plan you only need to go over by 50 MB (@ $0.20) to pay for the cost of the
    > 2,000 MB plan.

    That was the choice I made. I checked my traffic usage for the last 12
    months, found that the most I had used in one month was 2130MB, with an
    average of 1200-1300MB, and decided that that 256K 2000MB plan was the
    best tradeoff for me. I don't regret the choice.

    Max Quordlepleen, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Chris Mayhew

    SteveM Guest

    Max Quordlepleen <> wrote in

    > Chris Mayhew <> writes:
    >
    >> Since this isn't the case I might just look into this a bit
    >> further as it's only an extra $7 - $8 month for the 2,000MB plan
    >> (from jetstarter). While I could probably save money by going on the
    >> 1,000 MB plan you only need to go over by 50 MB (@ $0.20) to pay for
    >> the cost of the 2,000 MB plan.

    > That was the choice I made. I checked my traffic usage for the last 12
    > months, found that the most I had used in one month was 2130MB, with
    > an average of 1200-1300MB, and decided that that 256K 2000MB plan was
    > the best tradeoff for me. I don't regret the choice.

    I am hesitant about changing plans from Jetstart due to my national traffic
    being charged (by Paradise) at “only” 10% of the rate for international.
    If I included that traffic in my calculations I would easily blow 2 Gig a
    month. (I hope others have taken that into account)

    SteveM

    SteveM, Dec 12, 2003
  7. SteveM <> writes:

    > I am hesitant about changing plans from Jetstart due to my national traffic
    > being charged (by Paradise) at “only” 10% of the rate for international.
    > If I included that traffic in my calculations I would easily blow 2 Gig a
    > month. (I hope others have taken that into account)

    For sure. If I were a gamer, or into P2P (neither of which I do at
    all), then I wouldn't have been able to afford the 256K. Interestingly
    enough, for the last 3 days, my d/l average has been up around 50KB/s,
    and this afternoon I d/ld StarOffice7 for Linux, 117MB, at an average
    speed of just over 120KB/s. I don't know why, but I certainly ain't
    conmplaining. :D

    Max Quordlepleen, Dec 12, 2003