upload problem/possible virus

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dice, Sep 6, 2007.

  1. dice

    dice Guest

    Hello,
    I use Windows Xp Sp2 OS, I have a problem where I am unable to upload
    files and have run out of any more ideas to try and would really
    appreciate your help.
    My connection is 2Mbits downstream and 256kb upstream.
    What happens is the connection for download is working correctly .
    Browinsing appear a lot slower than normal.
    The connection for uploading is either zero kb or it begins at 20kb
    and goes 20kb, 14kb, 8kb, 2kb 1kb then zero kb (type of thing the
    exact kb does vary but the top numebr is always 20kb) , all within the
    matter of 3-6 seconds , I cannot upload small files such as a 34kb
    jpeg or larger files such as 7MB ,12MB or 33MB files.
    I have tried uploading to usenet, using pecks powerpost, also to http
    using megaupload,speedyshare,tinypic.
    I have also tried uploading to 3 ftp servers, all have been verified
    working.The isp one was verified by the technician whilst here.
    My isp sent a technician out to test the line and modem he said it is
    working correctly and the modem is working correctly and the problem
    is sometihng on my computer , he give me a new modem to try and it
    didnt alter things but since he had opened it and registered it he
    said to continue to use it.
    The technican from the isp wont check on your pc only the cable line
    and modem.
    I have used the new connecting cable he gave me form the cable modem
    to the nic card in the pc and this has made no difference either.

    I have also visited the NIC card manufacturers website and downloaded
    an auto uninstal and instal of the latest driver for the card , which
    is a Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. This made no
    difference either.

    I use the isp (Virginmedia) antivirus and firewall wihich is made by
    "radial Point".
    The antivirus has detected no virus, I have also checked with the
    lastest updates using Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware 2007 (free
    version)

    Whilst looking through the Firewall log I see some entries that I do
    not understand to be hnest in the information panel which is the
    following

    protocol - udp

    direction - incoming

    packet (nothing is wrote under this section)

    Source IP = My own IP address

    Destination IP - an external IP address

    Source port = 137 [NETBIOS Name ..runs out of space to write anything
    else in the space available.

    Destination port = 137 [NETBIOS Name Servi .. runs out of space to
    write anything else in the space.

    Then it says - Trojan: Legion from Rhino9

    So this is the part that as far as I can see seems to say my own IP
    address is sending an incoming message to my compter that is being
    blocked by the firewall and it is intended to be sent to an external
    IP address.

    Sometimes it is an Incoming/Destination of port 138 [NETBIOS Datagram]
    This doesnt say Trojan in the information field.

    I downloaded and tried Macafee Stinger a freeware tool for trojans it
    found zero virus.
    I also tried
    AVAST! free version - found zero virus
    AVG free version - found zero virus
    I also tried the RadialPoint antivirus from the isp - this found zero
    virus.

    I ran all of them normally and then ran them again with system restore
    turned off .

    So does this mean tha that I do have this virus and that it is unknown
    by and outsmarts all the antivirus programs I have used so far ?
    If so do I need a specific antivirus (free one please) or do I need a
    specific tool to get rid of this trojan ?
    Or can it be done manually and if so how ?

    Or am I interpreting the firewall results incorrectly and it means I
    dont have the virus but the virus is trying to access inwards to my pc
    and is being denied by the firewall and the reaosn it is using my IP
    as the incoming address is because it is spoofing it an attept to get
    past the firewall ?

    If I dont have this virus do you have any suggestions and help please
    as to what I can do to rectify the upload bandwidth problem please ?

    Thank You
    Kevin
    dice, Sep 6, 2007

  2. dice wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I use Windows Xp Sp2 OS, I have a problem where I am unable to upload
    > files and have run out of any more ideas to try and would really
    > appreciate your help.
    > My connection is 2Mbits downstream and 256kb upstream.
    > What happens is the connection for download is working correctly .
    > Browinsing appear a lot slower than normal.
    > The connection for uploading is either zero kb or it begins at 20kb
    > and goes 20kb, 14kb, 8kb, 2kb 1kb then zero kb (type of thing the
    > exact kb does vary but the top numebr is always 20kb) , all within the
    > matter of 3-6 seconds , I cannot upload small files such as a 34kb
    > jpeg or larger files such as 7MB ,12MB or 33MB files.

    Try booting from a liveCD which supports DSL (apparently your type of
    broadband) like Knoppix. May your router/"modem" be switched to bridge
    mode?
    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 8, 2007

  3. dice

    dice Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 15:27:01 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    >dice wrote:
    >

    >> Hello,
    >> I use Windows Xp Sp2 OS, I have a problem where I am unable to upload
    >> files and have run out of any more ideas to try and would really
    >> appreciate your help.
    >> My connection is 2Mbits downstream and 256kb upstream.
    >> What happens is the connection for download is working correctly .
    >> Browinsing appear a lot slower than normal.
    >> The connection for uploading is either zero kb or it begins at 20kb
    >> and goes 20kb, 14kb, 8kb, 2kb 1kb then zero kb (type of thing the
    >> exact kb does vary but the top numebr is always 20kb) , all within the
    >> matter of 3-6 seconds , I cannot upload small files such as a 34kb
    >> jpeg or larger files such as 7MB ,12MB or 33MB files.

    >Try booting from a liveCD which supports DSL (apparently your type of
    >broadband) like Knoppix. May your router/"modem" be switched to bridge
    >mode?

    Hello,
    Thank You for yor reply.
    the router/"modem" has no buttons on it or a settings panel and cannot
    be switched to bridge mode as far as I know.
    The label says it is a - "WebSTAR EPC2100R2 Series Cable Modem"
    dice, Sep 8, 2007
  4. dice

    Guest

    dice <> wrote:

    >>Try booting from a liveCD which supports DSL (apparently your type of
    >>broadband) like Knoppix. May your router/"modem" be switched to bridge
    >>mode?

    >Hello,
    >Thank You for yor reply.
    >the router/"modem" has no buttons on it or a settings panel and cannot
    >be switched to bridge mode as far as I know.
    >The label says it is a - "WebSTAR EPC2100R2 Series Cable Modem"

    In your browser, in the address bar type in
    192.168.0.1 <enter>
    that should get you into the modem to make changes.

    If that doesn't work:
    Start | Run <type in>
    CMD /K IPCONFIG
    <enter>
    in the address bar type the default gateway shown.

    --

    Explosion Video
    http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=362984
  5. dice wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Thank You for yor reply.
    > the router/"modem" has no buttons on it or a settings panel and cannot
    > be switched to bridge mode as far as I know.
    > The label says it is a - "WebSTAR EPC2100R2 Series Cable Modem"

    Ah ok, so if it's a cable modem you may just start the livecd and let it
    detect the network connection, it should work without effort.
    Then try to down-/upload something.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 9, 2007
  6. dice

    dice Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 20:47:31 -0700, wrote:

    > dice <> wrote:
    >
    >>>Try booting from a liveCD which supports DSL (apparently your type of
    >>>broadband) like Knoppix. May your router/"modem" be switched to bridge
    >>>mode?

    >>Hello,
    >>Thank You for yor reply.
    >>the router/"modem" has no buttons on it or a settings panel and cannot
    >>be switched to bridge mode as far as I know.
    >>The label says it is a - "WebSTAR EPC2100R2 Series Cable Modem"

    >In your browser, in the address bar type in
    >192.168.0.1 <enter>
    >that should get you into the modem to make changes.
    >
    >If that doesn't work:
    >Start | Run <type in>
    >CMD /K IPCONFIG
    ><enter>
    >in the address bar type the default gateway shown.

    Hello
    Thank You for your reply.
    I have tried both methods and both produced a page not found.
    I have also tried to bridge connections in the settings of windows, it
    didnt work, so I undone it and deleted the bridge.
    dice, Sep 11, 2007
  7. dice

    dice Guest

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:01:21 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    >dice wrote:

    >> Hello,
    >> Thank You for yor reply.
    >> the router/"modem" has no buttons on it or a settings panel and cannot
    >> be switched to bridge mode as far as I know.
    >> The label says it is a - "WebSTAR EPC2100R2 Series Cable Modem"

    >Ah ok, so if it's a cable modem you may just start the livecd and let it
    >detect the network connection, it should work without effort.
    >Then try to down-/upload something.

    Hello ,
    Thank You for your reply.
    I had a look at a couple of knoppix mirrors and was unable to
    determine what files to d/l for cd as I do not have a dvd burner.
    Does it come with a web browser and ftp program to test the uploads ?
    I usually use coffecup direct ftp.
    dice, Sep 11, 2007
  8. dice wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:01:21 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>dice wrote:

    >>> Hello,
    >>> Thank You for yor reply.
    >>> the router/"modem" has no buttons on it or a settings panel and cannot
    >>> be switched to bridge mode as far as I know.
    >>> The label says it is a - "WebSTAR EPC2100R2 Series Cable Modem"

    >>Ah ok, so if it's a cable modem you may just start the livecd and let it
    >>detect the network connection, it should work without effort.
    >>Then try to down-/upload something.

    > Hello ,
    > Thank You for your reply.
    > I had a look at a couple of knoppix mirrors and was unable to
    > determine what files to d/l for cd as I do not have a dvd burner.
    > Does it come with a web browser and ftp program to test the uploads ?
    > I usually use coffecup direct ftp.

    You can find a cd image (iso file, ready to burn using the "burn image"
    under extras or options with whatever burn program you use) here:
    ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/
    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 11, 2007
  9. dice

    dice Guest

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:01:31 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    >dice wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:01:21 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Ah ok, so if it's a cable modem you may just start the livecd and let it
    >>>detect the network connection, it should work without effort.
    >>>Then try to down-/upload something.

    >> Hello ,
    >> Thank You for your reply.
    >> I had a look at a couple of knoppix mirrors and was unable to
    >> determine what files to d/l for cd as I do not have a dvd burner.
    >> Does it come with a web browser and ftp program to test the uploads ?
    >> I usually use coffecup direct ftp.

    >You can find a cd image (iso file, ready to burn using the "burn image"
    >under extras or options with whatever burn program you use) here:
    >ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/

    Hello,
    Thank You for your reply and for help with the link.
    I have d/l and made the cd of Knoppix.

    I booted from the cd, and was unable to connect to the internet.
    On the modem it has a pc light to show the cable modem is
    communicating with the computer, this was not lit when the Knoppix
    live cd was running.
    Also the modem has data lights that light up when sending or receiving
    these did not light when I tried to connect to the internet with the
    Knoppix cd running.
    Knoppix looks nice and the functions I tried I liked.It runs much
    faster than windows on my computer.
    dice, Sep 12, 2007
  10. dice wrote:

    > Knoppix looks nice and the functions I tried I liked.It runs much
    > faster than windows on my computer.

    Knoppix from the CD runs faster than your Windows?

    There is a story here...

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 12, 2007
  11. dice wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Thank You for your reply and for help with the link.
    > I have d/l and made the cd of Knoppix.
    >
    > I booted from the cd, and was unable to connect to the internet.
    > On the modem it has a pc light to show the cable modem is
    > communicating with the computer, this was not lit when the Knoppix
    > live cd was running.

    You may check the knoppix network configuration program to get your network
    card up. That should "switch it on" and make it communicate.

    > Also the modem has data lights that light up when sending or receiving
    > these did not light when I tried to connect to the internet with the
    > Knoppix cd running.
    > Knoppix looks nice and the functions I tried I liked.It runs much
    > faster than windows on my computer.

    Hmmm. Actually, knoppix may run fast with enough memory, but it will take
    more time to start up, since cd drives are slow compared to harddrives.
    However, when you notice a substantial speed difference to your windows, you
    should check for malware or backup your important data and
    format/reinstall.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 12, 2007
  12. dice

    dice Guest

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 07:48:24 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    >dice wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >> Thank You for your reply and for help with the link.
    >> I have d/l and made the cd of Knoppix.
    >>
    >> I booted from the cd, and was unable to connect to the internet.
    >> On the modem it has a pc light to show the cable modem is
    >> communicating with the computer, this was not lit when the Knoppix
    >> live cd was running.

    >You may check the knoppix network configuration program to get your network
    >card up. That should "switch it on" and make it communicate.
    >
    >> Also the modem has data lights that light up when sending or receiving
    >> these did not light when I tried to connect to the internet with the
    >> Knoppix cd running.
    >> Knoppix looks nice and the functions I tried I liked.It runs much
    >> faster than windows on my computer.

    >Hmmm. Actually, knoppix may run fast with enough memory, but it will take
    >more time to start up, since cd drives are slow compared to harddrives.
    >However, when you notice a substantial speed difference to your windows, you
    >should check for malware or backup your important data and
    >format/reinstall.

    Hello,
    Thank You both for your replies.
    yes Knoppix takes longer to load but once on the desktop it runs
    faster than windows, I did notice it has none of the programs or files
    loaded that are on the hdd.
    The cd drive is 52 speed , I have 1GB of DDRAM .Hdd is 250GB which
    contains some program instals and stored files which has 187GB free
    space.So its loading 63GB less, which may contribute.
    Knoppix doesnt load things on start up for windows like the
    mixer,av,firewall,privacy manager,anti-spyware, which may also have
    contributed to it being faster.

    I have radial point av,privacy manager and anti spyware, I also use
    spybot search & destroy and adaware 2007 all are coming up clean for
    spyware and malware.
    Are there other programs that will detect malware that these 3 have
    missed please ?
    dice, Sep 12, 2007
  13. dice wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Thank You both for your replies.
    > yes Knoppix takes longer to load but once on the desktop it runs
    > faster than windows, I did notice it has none of the programs or files
    > loaded that are on the hdd.

    Yes, it doesn't touch your harddrive unless you tell it to do.

    > The cd drive is 52 speed , I have 1GB of DDRAM .Hdd is 250GB which
    > contains some program instals and stored files which has 187GB free
    > space.So its loading 63GB less, which may contribute.
    > Knoppix doesnt load things on start up for windows like the
    > mixer,av,firewall,privacy manager,anti-spyware, which may also have
    > contributed to it being faster.

    You didn't tell if you managed to get the network card up?
    Yes, Knoppix is sort of a "swiss knife" and contains software for recovery
    and testing, as well as for a first experience with linux.

    > I have radial point av,privacy manager and anti spyware, I also use
    > spybot search & destroy and adaware 2007 all are coming up clean for
    > spyware and malware.

    Inside windows, what does taskmanager - process view tell you, when you
    click on the "%CPU" header twice to sort by cpu utilization?
    You may check your harddrive as well, either with knoppix (smartctl --help
    will tell you how to) or from windows or a bootfloppy/cd.
    Often suddenly deceasing performance indicates a dying harddrive, when the
    OS switches off DMA or excessive read retries are necessary.

    > Are there other programs that will detect malware that these 3 have
    > missed please ?

    With windows, I use a AV and spybot with teatimer, plus the xp firewall or a
    router. And, I don't do daily work or surfing suspicious^Wall websites as
    admin.
    Sometimes a "internet security suite" may interfer with a
    dedicated "personal firewall" or a 2nd av scanner in on-access mode. Some
    weird interaction may as well break down/uploads due to making them run
    through local proxies set up by the av, with scanning, and
    another "firewall" blocking that - which may lock up downloads or uploads
    the way you describe.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 13, 2007
  14. dice

    dice Guest

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:05:44 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    >dice wrote:

    >> Hello,
    >> Thank You both for your replies.
    >> yes Knoppix takes longer to load but once on the desktop it runs
    >> faster than windows, I did notice it has none of the programs or files
    >> loaded that are on the hdd.

    >Yes, it doesn't touch your harddrive unless you tell it to do.
    >
    >> The cd drive is 52 speed , I have 1GB of DDRAM .Hdd is 250GB which
    >> contains some program instals and stored files which has 187GB free
    >> space.So its loading 63GB less, which may contribute.
    >> Knoppix doesnt load things on start up for windows like the
    >> mixer,av,firewall,privacy manager,anti-spyware, which may also have
    >> contributed to it being faster.
    >>

    >You didn't tell if you managed to get the network card up?
    >Yes, Knoppix is sort of a "swiss knife" and contains software for recovery
    >and testing, as well as for a first experience with linux.
    >
    >> I have radial point av,privacy manager and anti spyware, I also use
    >> spybot search & destroy and adaware 2007 all are coming up clean for
    >> spyware and malware.

    >Inside windows, what does taskmanager - process view tell you, when you
    >click on the "%CPU" header twice to sort by cpu utilization?
    >You may check your harddrive as well, either with knoppix (smartctl --help
    >will tell you how to) or from windows or a bootfloppy/cd.
    >Often suddenly deceasing performance indicates a dying harddrive, when the
    >OS switches off DMA or excessive read retries are necessary.
    >
    >> Are there other programs that will detect malware that these 3 have
    >> missed please ?

    >With windows, I use a AV and spybot with teatimer, plus the xp firewall or a
    >router. And, I don't do daily work or surfing suspicious^Wall websites as
    >admin.
    >Sometimes a "internet security suite" may interfer with a
    >dedicated "personal firewall" or a 2nd av scanner in on-access mode. Some
    >weird interaction may as well break down/uploads due to making them run
    >through local proxies set up by the av, with scanning, and
    >another "firewall" blocking that - which may lock up downloads or uploads
    >the way you describe.

    Hello,
    Thank You for your reply.
    I havent tried altering the card settings for Knoppix as I dont know
    how to do it and I thought if I do it wrong or there is an error it
    might then mean I lose all online access, if I cannot get it back
    working on windows , I would then not be able to get the headers for
    this group or ask for assistance with that.
    I know its not helpful of me but this group is my only possibilty to
    discover and solve the problem and if I cannot access etc.

    I only run one interface it is called PCGuard it is supplied on a
    subscription basis from my isp , it is made by Radial Point , this has
    the AV,privacy, anti-spyware,firewall in one interface.
    I ran spybot S&D to double check and I used the immunise function but
    I do not use teatime, also I ran adaware 2007 but I do not have it set
    to run in the background.
    I also d/l and ran McAfee Stinger , Avast AV and AVG AV, to recheck
    that the radial point had not missed something due to the firewall
    activity I noticed that I wrote of in the first part of the post.

    Before I d/l any of those AV, Spybot or Adaware the upload problem
    had been occuring for quite a few weeks.
    I did not have any other anti spyware or av running at the time, just
    radial point before the problem occured.

    I have checked inside windows in the task manager and double clicked
    on the cpu usage, it says 0% then after a few seconds it says 2% very
    briefly then returns back to 0% then briefly to 2% and returns to 0%
    usage.It was on the 0% for most of the time I watched it.
    dice, Sep 13, 2007
  15. dice

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:08:48 +0100, dice wrote:

    >On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:05:44 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>dice wrote:

    >>> Hello,
    >>> Thank You both for your replies.
    >>> yes Knoppix takes longer to load but once on the desktop it runs
    >>> faster than windows, I did notice it has none of the programs or files
    >>> loaded that are on the hdd.

    <snip>

    >>> Are there other programs that will detect malware that these 3 have
    >>> missed please ?

    >>With windows, I use a AV and spybot with teatimer, plus the xp firewall or a
    >>router. And, I don't do daily work or surfing suspicious^Wall websites as
    >>admin.
    >>Sometimes a "internet security suite" may interfer with a
    >>dedicated "personal firewall" or a 2nd av scanner in on-access mode. Some
    >>weird interaction may as well break down/uploads due to making them run
    >>through local proxies set up by the av, with scanning, and
    >>another "firewall" blocking that - which may lock up downloads or uploads
    >>the way you describe.

    >Hello,
    >Thank You for your reply.
    >I havent tried altering the card settings for Knoppix as I dont know
    >how to do it and I thought if I do it wrong or there is an error it

    You don't need to change anything, as long as it detects the NIC and you
    pick DHCP.

    Then turn off the cable modem, wait 20 seconds, turn it back on.

    If it's worked in Knoppix open a new terminal and

    ifconfig -a

    You should see the ISP information, IP, DNS, gateway etc.

    Even if your PC isn't connecting you should get a flashing activity LED
    (assuming webstar is like surfboard) that's just the general network
    noise.

    >might then mean I lose all online access, if I cannot get it back

    No, remember the PC is only connecting to the CM and getting the
    settings the CM gives it. If you are unsure reboot the CM, you shouldn't
    be able to change anything anyway on the CM.

    >working on windows , I would then not be able to get the headers for
    >this group or ask for assistance with that.
    >I know its not helpful of me but this group is my only possibilty to
    >discover and solve the problem and if I cannot access etc.

    Did virginmedia.support.broadband.cable , Ask for the usual netstat,
    multiple pings and traceroutes and modem log?

    Maybe the VM user self help groups.
    virginmedia.users.self-help
    virginmedia.users.self-help.networking

    >I only run one interface it is called PCGuard it is supplied on a

    Ditch PC Guard, see
    some of the above and
    virginmedia.support.pcguard
    virginmedia.users.self-help.security

    You mention the FW log, see last 2 ng's.

    137/138/139 are the file sharing ports a common way to connect to a
    system. Generally these ports (135-139,445) should be blocked by any
    firewall (S/W or H/W) from all WAN / Internet access. I even block on
    specific PCs on the LAN and only specify 2 as trusted.

    www.google.com for the text re trojan in the 1st post

    Firewalls reviews - (Q): Legion from Rhino9?
    Trojan: Legion from Rhino9 What concerns/confuses me is theat the Source
    Port is my own PC's IP address. The Destination Port has the same first
    three ...
    www.webservertalk.com/archive95-2004-7-312924.html - 7k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    http://packetstormsecurity.org/groups/rhino9/
    File Name: legionv21.zip
    Kegion v2.1 - Latest version of the Legion File Share scanner by Rhino9.
    Changes: Shareware messages removed and a brute force tool is included
    with the app.

    legion from rhino9
    legion from rhino9- microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin. Visit our
    forum to discuss legion from rhino9.
    www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2428577.php - 53k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    >subscription basis from my isp , it is made by Radial Point , this has
    >the AV,privacy, anti-spyware,firewall in one interface.
    >I ran spybot S&D to double check and I used the immunise function but

    Have you tried HijackThis?
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php
    From a recent Pennywise post, post the log at
    http://hijackthis.de/en

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 14, 2007
  16. dice wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Thank You for your reply.
    > I havent tried altering the card settings for Knoppix as I dont know
    > how to do it and I thought if I do it wrong or there is an error it
    > might then mean I lose all online access, if I cannot get it back
    > working on windows , I would then not be able to get the headers for
    > this group or ask for assistance with that.

    Knoppix is just a liveCD and does not write to the harddrive unless you
    become root and mount with write permissions. Therefore, it will not alter
    your netcard settings for windows.

    > I know its not helpful of me but this group is my only possibilty to
    > discover and solve the problem and if I cannot access etc.
    >
    > I only run one interface it is called PCGuard it is supplied on a
    > subscription basis from my isp , it is made by Radial Point , this has
    > the AV,privacy, anti-spyware,firewall in one interface.

    Your program may have some malfunction or bug, did you look for a update or
    bugfix?
    Can you turn off the functions one at a time, beginning with the firewall
    (use windows firewall as intermediate)?

    > I ran spybot S&D to double check and I used the immunise function but
    > I do not use teatime, also I ran adaware 2007 but I do not have it set
    > to run in the background.
    > I also d/l and ran McAfee Stinger , Avast AV and AVG AV, to recheck
    > that the radial point had not missed something due to the firewall
    > activity I noticed that I wrote of in the first part of the post.
    >
    > Before I d/l any of those AV, Spybot or Adaware the upload problem
    > had been occuring for quite a few weeks.

    There might still be a MTU issue on your uplink path.
    Good Luck!
    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 14, 2007
  17. dice

    dice Guest

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:25:07 GMT, why?

    >On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:08:48 +0100, dice wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:05:44 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    >><> wrote:

    >You don't need to change anything, as long as it detects the NIC and you
    >pick DHCP.
    >
    >Then turn off the cable modem, wait 20 seconds, turn it back on.
    >
    >If it's worked in Knoppix open a new terminal and
    >
    >ifconfig -a
    >
    >You should see the ISP information, IP, DNS, gateway etc.

    I have just tried this, I used the menu to configure it said sending,
    failed.

    >Even if your PC isn't connecting you should get a flashing activity LED
    >(assuming webstar is like surfboard) that's just the general network
    >noise.

    No it is different from the motorola surfboard, that was my previous
    modem so I understand how you described.
    On the Webstar only the cable light and the power light are lit
    permanently, the pc light flickers showing the commnection between the
    pc and modem is working , the send and receive data lights are always
    not lit, until you send or receive something then they light up, I
    noticed this when the technicain was here and that is how he said it
    differs form the surfboard.

    As previously againwhen trying this time even when configuring the NIC
    after the modem reboot the modems pc light doesnt light up so it
    cannot communicate with my pc when runing Knoppix, also the send
    receive data lights do not light up at all when sending the DHCP.

    >No, remember the PC is only connecting to the CM and getting the
    >settings the CM gives it. If you are unsure reboot the CM, you shouldn't
    >be able to change anything anyway on the CM.
    >
    >Did virginmedia.support.broadband.cable , Ask for the usual netstat,
    >multiple pings and traceroutes and modem log?

    Yes they did and some other tests.
    The phone support is in India and they do not understand the
    difference between an upload and download , they ask you to d/l files
    and when they see the downoad speed is correct they say its working
    and you tell them its the upload speed that is the problem ,yet again,
    and they just say we have just tested the upload speed, they mean the
    d/l speed no matter how much you try to explan uploading and
    downloading is different they just cannot understand it .
    Eventually then they say Virginmedia accounts do not support uploading
    and as long as your download works then that is correct thank you for
    your call and put the phone down before you can reply.
    The account does support uplaoding and it has always worked.

    Ive sent technical reports to virginmedia via the webforms for over 5
    weeks all went unanswered not asingle reply ever .
    When I decided to cancel the account that was when they replied and
    done the tests I sent hte resutls and they said they didnt know and
    would send the technician.
    He said he hadnt had any calls from anyone ever complaining about
    upload speeds its always download speeds but he did atleast understand
    uploads are not a different name for downloads he said to
    "just play around with it and eventually you'll find out what it is ,
    thats all you can do really".

    >Maybe the VM user self help groups.
    >virginmedia.users.self-help
    >virginmedia.users.self-help.networking
    >
    >>I only run one interface it is called PCGuard it is supplied on a

    >Ditch PC Guard, see

    If I uninstal pcguard then I need to use a new firewall, anti virus
    etc.
    Which free firewall and antivirus ?
    I used to use tiny personal firewall when on me and it worked well,
    not sure if its still good.

    >some of the above and
    >virginmedia.support.pcguard
    >virginmedia.users.self-help.security
    >
    >You mention the FW log, see last 2 ng's.

    I will look at these newsgroups then .

    >137/138/139 are the file sharing ports a common way to connect to a
    >system. Generally these ports (135-139,445) should be blocked by any
    >firewall (S/W or H/W) from all WAN / Internet access. I even block on
    >specific PCs on the LAN and only specify 2 as trusted.
    >
    >www.google.com for the text re trojan in the 1st post
    >
    >Firewalls reviews - (Q): Legion from Rhino9?
    >Trojan: Legion from Rhino9 What concerns/confuses me is theat the Source
    >Port is my own PC's IP address. The Destination Port has the same first
    >three ...
    >www.webservertalk.com/archive95-2004-7-312924.html - 7k - Cached -
    >Similar pages
    >
    >http://packetstormsecurity.org/groups/rhino9/
    > File Name: legionv21.zip
    >Kegion v2.1 - Latest version of the Legion File Share scanner by Rhino9.
    >Changes: Shareware messages removed and a brute force tool is included
    >with the app.
    >
    >legion from rhino9
    >legion from rhino9- microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin. Visit our
    >forum to discuss legion from rhino9.
    >www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2428577.php - 53k - Cached - Similar
    >pages
    >

    >>subscription basis from my isp , it is made by Radial Point , this has
    >>the AV,privacy, anti-spyware,firewall in one interface.
    >>I ran spybot S&D to double check and I used the immunise function but

    >Have you tried HijackThis?
    >http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php
    >From a recent Pennywise post, post the log at
    > http://hijackthis.de/en
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >Me

    I dont run any p2p software or filesharing software, the only files I
    download are from usenet.

    I have done as you suggested I have installed and run hijack this and
    saved the log, I put it in the analyzing tool on the link you gave.
    This is thecopy/paste of the results of the analyzer -

    [Y] Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2 - This should be the
    newest version.
    [WINXP] Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) -
    [Y] MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16512) - This should be
    the newest version.
    [Y] Boot mode: Normal - This entry was classified from our visitors as
    good.
    [Y] C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe - This entry was classified from our
    visitors as good.
    [Y] C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe - This entry was classified from
    our visitors as good.
    [Y] C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe - This entry was classified from
    our visitors as good.
    [Y] C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe - This entry was classified from our
    visitors as good.
    [Y] C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe - This entry was classified from
    our visitors as good.
    [Y] C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe - This entry was classified from
    our visitors as good.
    [Y] C:\Program Files\Virgin Broadband\PCguard\fws.exe - Possibly
    nasty! According to our database this process runs normally in
    c:\programme\ntl\ntl netguard\! Check if you know this process and
    arrange a viruscheck where required. Part of Netguard by NTL broadband
    - Firewall/virus checker
    [Y] C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe - Part of
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    [Y] C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE - This entry was classified from our
    visitors as good.
    [Y] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe - This entry was classified from
    our visitors as good.
    [Y] C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe - This entry was classified from our visitors
    as good.
    [Y] C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe - Cyber Link
    PowerDVD
    [Y] C:\Program Files\Virgin Broadband\advisor\Broadbandadvisor.exe -
    Part of Virgin Media Broadband Package
    [Y] C:\Program Files\Virgin Broadband\PCguard\Rps.exe - Part of Virgin
    Media Broadband Package
    [Y] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe - This entry was classified from
    our visitors as good.
    [Y] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Command Software\dvpapi.exe - This
    entry was classified from our visitors as good.
    [Y] C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe - Not dangerous, but unnecessary.
    This entry was classified from our visitors as good.
    [Y] C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe - Cyberlink
    [Y] C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe - This entry was classified from
    our visitors as good.
    [Y] C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe - Remember
    that Hijackthis must be run in an own folder. Only if Hijackthis run
    in an own folder it will create backups! Tool, mit dem sie dieses
    Logfile erzeugt haben. Das Programm sollte so angelegt sein !
    C:\Programme\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
    [Y] R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    http://www.virginmedia.com/ - This page has been identified as safe.
    [Y] R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL =
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157 - This page has been
    identified as safe.
    [Y] R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL =
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896 - This page has been
    identified as safe.
    [Y] R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896 - This page has been
    identified as safe.
    [Y] R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157 - This page has been
    identified as safe.
    [Y] O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper -
    {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll - AcroIEhelper.ocx,
    AcroIEhelper.dll - Adobe Acrobat reader,
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/re adstep2.html
    [Y] O2 - BHO: Pop-Up Blocker BHO -
    {3C060EA2-E6A9-4E49-A530-D4657B8C449A} - C:\Program Files\Virgin
    Broadband\PCguard\pkR.dll - pkR.dll - Zero Knowledge Freedom,
    http://www.freedom.net/
    [Y] O2 - BHO: Form Filler BHO - {56071E0D-C61B-11D3-B41C-00E02927A304}
    - C:\Program Files\Virgin Broadband\PCguard\FBHR.dll - FreeBHOR.dll -
    Zero Knowledge Freedom, http://www.freedom.net/
    [Y] O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup - Not
    dangerous, but unnecessary. This entry was classified from our
    visitors as good.
    [Y] O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] "RUNDLL32.EXE"
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup - Unknown application.
    [Y] O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] "nwiz.exe" /install - Unknown
    application. This entry was classified from our visitors as good.
    [Y] O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] "RUNDLL32.EXE"
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit - Unknown application.
    [Y] O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck]
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe - This entry was classified from our
    visitors as good.
    [Y] O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program
    Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe" - Remote Control background
    application for CyberLink\'s PowerDVD version 5 and above. Enables you
    to use a remote control with your DVD drive if your drive came with
    one. Not required if you don\'t have a remote control, or don\'t wish
    to use one
    [Y] O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LanguageShortcut] "C:\Program
    Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\Language\Language.exe" - This entry was
    classified from our visitors as good.
    [Y] O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program
    Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe" - Not dangerous, but
    unnecessary. Speeds up the time it takes to load the Adobe Reader
    application. Your choice
    [X] O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadbandadvisor.exe] "C:\Program Files\Virgin
    Broadband\advisor\Broadbandadvisor.exe" /AUTORUN - It seems that the
    name of this program is the same as the name of the file. In the most
    cases this is the result of trojans. To be sure, you should check this
    file.
    [Y] O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCguard] "C:\Program Files\Virgin
    Broadband\PCguard\Rps.exe" - Fuzzy Algorithmcheck (4.67 / 5.00), Safe
    [Y] O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe -
    This entry was classified from our visitors as good.
    [Y] O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE]
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE') - Office related
    [Y] O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE]
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE') - Office
    related
    [Y] O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE]
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM') - Office related
    [Y] O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE]
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user') - Office related
    [Y] O9 - Extra button: (no name) -
    {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network
    Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe - The entry has been identified as safe.
    [Y] O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 -
    {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network
    Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe - The entry @xpsp3res.dll, has been
    identified as safe.
    [Y] O9 - Extra button: Messenger -
    {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program
    Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe - The entry Messenger has been identified
    as safe.
    [Y] O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger -
    {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program
    Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe - The entry Windows Messenger has been
    identified as safe.
    [Y] O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine
    Advantage Validation Tool) -
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204 - This entry was
    classified from our visitors as good.
    [Y] O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl
    Class) -
    http://www.update.microsoft.com/win...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1187995517500
    - This entry has been identified as safe.
    [Y] O16 - DPF: {C606BA60-AB76-48B6-96A7-2C4D5C386F70} (PreQualifier
    Class) - http://help.broadbandassist.com/prequal/MotivePreQual.cab -
    This entry has been identified as safe.
    [Y] O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB -
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe - This service
    (aawservice.exe) was identified as a good one.
    [Y] O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) -
    Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
    Shared\ccSvcHst.exe (file missing) - This service (ccSvcHst.exe) was
    identified as a good one.
    [Y] O23 - Service: DvpApi (dvpapi) - Authentium, Inc. - C:\Program
    Files\Common Files\Command Software\dvpapi.exe - This service
    (dvpapi.exe) was identified as a good one.
    [Y] O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA
    Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe - This service
    (nvsvc32.exe) was identified as a good one. This entry was classified
    from our visitors as good.
    [Y] O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) -
    Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
    - This service (RichVideo.exe) was identified as a good one.
    [Y] O23 - Service: PCguard Firewall (RP_FWS) - Radialpoint Inc. -
    C:\Program Files\Virgin Broadband\PCguard\fws.exe - This service
    (fws.exe) was identified as a good one.

    The one result where it says -

    [X] O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadbandadvisor.exe] "C:\Program Files\Virgin
    Broadband\advisor\Broadbandadvisor.exe" /AUTORUN - It seems that the
    name of this program is the same as the name of the file. In the most
    cases this is the result of trojans. To be sure, you should check this
    file.

    this is the installer and updater for pcguard and a daignositcs you
    can run to check it for errors that was d/l from virginmedia customers
    page. You have to use it to instal pcguard.
    dice, Sep 15, 2007
  18. dice

    dice Guest

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:55:47 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    >dice wrote:

    >> Hello,
    >> Thank You for your reply.
    >> I havent tried altering the card settings for Knoppix as I dont know
    >> how to do it and I thought if I do it wrong or there is an error it
    >> might then mean I lose all online access, if I cannot get it back
    >> working on windows , I would then not be able to get the headers for
    >> this group or ask for assistance with that.

    >Knoppix is just a liveCD and does not write to the harddrive unless you
    >become root and mount with write permissions. Therefore, it will not alter
    >your netcard settings for windows.

    I have retried KNoppix and used the menu to configure the NIC it says
    failed.

    >> I know its not helpful of me but this group is my only possibilty to
    >> discover and solve the problem and if I cannot access etc.
    >>
    >> I only run one interface it is called PCGuard it is supplied on a
    >> subscription basis from my isp , it is made by Radial Point , this has
    >> the AV,privacy, anti-spyware,firewall in one interface.

    >Your program may have some malfunction or bug, did you look for a update or
    >bugfix?
    >Can you turn off the functions one at a time, beginning with the firewall
    >(use windows firewall as intermediate)?

    When I wanted to try Avast and Avg , I first uninstaleld pcguard and
    then installed avast tried it then uninsalled then installed avg so as
    not to make conflicts .

    Yes I can turn off the functions individually , I had tried disabling
    the firewall and on another occasion the entire program and using
    windows firewall , the upload problem was still the same though.

    >> I ran spybot S&D to double check and I used the immunise function but
    >> I do not use teatime, also I ran adaware 2007 but I do not have it set
    >> to run in the background.
    >> I also d/l and ran McAfee Stinger , Avast AV and AVG AV, to recheck
    >> that the radial point had not missed something due to the firewall
    >> activity I noticed that I wrote of in the first part of the post.
    >>
    >> Before I d/l any of those AV, Spybot or Adaware the upload problem
    >> had been occuring for quite a few weeks.

    >There might still be a MTU issue on your uplink path.
    >Good Luck!

    I have posted the analysis of the results of hijack this in the reply
    I have just made previous to this one, is it any help?
    As you can see the post isnt very big filesize wise and it took 3
    tries to get it to upload.
    dice, Sep 15, 2007
  19. dice

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 22:22:20 +0100, dice wrote:

    >On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:25:07 GMT, why?
    >

    >>On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:08:48 +0100, dice wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:05:44 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    >>><> wrote:

    >>You don't need to change anything, as long as it detects the NIC and you
    >>pick DHCP.
    >>
    >>Then turn off the cable modem, wait 20 seconds, turn it back on.
    >>
    >>If it's worked in Knoppix open a new terminal and
    >>
    >>ifconfig -a
    >>
    >>You should see the ISP information, IP, DNS, gateway etc.

    >I have just tried this, I used the menu to configure it said sending,
    >failed.
    >

    >>Even if your PC isn't connecting you should get a flashing activity LED
    >>(assuming webstar is like surfboard) that's just the general network
    >>noise.

    >No it is different from the motorola surfboard, that was my previous
    >modem so I understand how you described.

    <snip>

    <snip>
    >Yes they did and some other tests.
    >The phone support is in India and they do not understand the

    It seems some times you get 50/50 change of India or not.

    The guys I workfor have our internal helpdesk in Kuala Lumpur but the
    customer site we sit on it's a h.d. in the UK.

    <snip>

    Upload / Download ? Wot about a faulty amplifier in street / outside
    house?

    I don't know if I can find any posts about that but IIRC it's happened
    before.

    >Ive sent technical reports to virginmedia via the webforms for over 5
    >weeks all went unanswered not asingle reply ever .

    Seems to be a mantra for VM and that form,, - no reply no reply :)

    >When I decided to cancel the account that was when they replied and
    >done the tests I sent hte resutls and they said they didnt know and
    >would send the technician.

    <snip>

    >>Ditch PC Guard, see

    >If I uninstal pcguard then I need to use a new firewall, anti virus
    >etc.
    >Which free firewall and antivirus ?
    >I used to use tiny personal firewall when on me and it worked well,
    >not sure if its still good.

    Couldn't say. I use paid for F-Prot and Outpost FW.

    <snip>
    >>virginmedia.users.self-help.security

    Oddly I don't read that ng a lot, but someone just asked a similar
    question. See

    Newsgroups: virginmedia.users.self-help.security
    Subject: Zone Alarm replacement?
    Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 14:22:09 GMT

    <big snip URLs>

    >>Me

    >I dont run any p2p software or filesharing software, the only files I
    >download are from usenet.
    >
    >I have done as you suggested I have installed and run hijack this and
    >saved the log, I put it in the analyzing tool on the link you gave.
    >This is thecopy/paste of the results of the analyzer -

    The sort of point was not to post it in 24HSHD, as lots of others have
    done.

    I don't use it (HJT) often enough to know what to look for, beyonf the
    obvious things others ask about and cen be found on the forum or Google.

    <huge log snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 16, 2007
  20. dice

    dice Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 17:39:37 GMT, why?

    >>Yes they did and some other tests.
    >>The phone support is in India and they do not understand the

    >It seems some times you get 50/50 change of India or not.
    >
    >The guys I workfor have our internal helpdesk in Kuala Lumpur but the
    >customer site we sit on it's a h.d. in the UK.
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >Upload / Download ? Wot about a faulty amplifier in street / outside
    >house?

    Notihng in the street was checked by the technician. The device he
    connected to the cable line in this room he said told him there was no
    error on the line or modem.

    >I don't know if I can find any posts about that but IIRC it's happened
    >before.
    >
    >>Ive sent technical reports to virginmedia via the webforms for over 5
    >>weeks all went unanswered not a single reply ever .

    >Seems to be a mantra for VM and that form,, - no reply no reply :)

    >virginmedia.users.self-help.security
    >
    >Oddly I don't read that ng a lot, but someone just asked a similar
    >question. See
    >
    >Newsgroups: virginmedia.users.self-help.security
    >Subject: Zone Alarm replacement?
    >Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 14:22:09 GMT

    I will try the virgin media newsgroup then and see if any others have
    this upload problem.

    >I have done as you suggested I have installed and run hijack this and
    >saved the log, I put it in the analyzing tool on the link you gave.

    >The sort of point was not to post it in 24HSHD, as lots of others have
    >done.
    >I don't use it (HJT) often enough to know what to look for, beyonf the
    >obvious things others ask about and cen be found on the forum or Google.

    I posted the log to show it says there is no hijacker shown that could
    be causing the upload error, in the hope someone may either know
    differently or have some idea of what else could be causing the
    problem if/as it has been ruled out as the cause. Then allowing a move
    on to the next possible cause/solution.

    Thank You to all who have replied and although the problem isnt solved
    it has ruled out some causes which is helpful.
    dice, Sep 16, 2007