    I want to setup my uplinks from all my 4503s to my core 4506 as trunk links.
    We are not on any vlans yet just a flat layer 2 for now.

    Are there any problems with this?

    tony, Oct 14, 2006

  2. In article <egp88k$nl5$>, tony <> wrote:
    >I want to setup my uplinks from all my 4503s to my core 4506 as trunk links.
    >We are not on any vlans yet just a flat layer 2 for now.

    >Are there any problems with this?

    If there was something you did not understand in my previous answer
    (the third time you'd asked the same question) then indicate the
    specific portion you had questions about and we will provide
    clarification.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 14, 2006

  3. tony

    BernieM Guest

    "tony" <> wrote in message
    >I want to setup my uplinks from all my 4503s to my core 4506 as trunk
    >links. We are not on any vlans yet just a flat layer 2 for now.
    >
    > Are there any problems with this?

    While not attempting to be complete, here's a few things to do:

    1) use 'switchport nonegotiate'
    2) assign 'switchport trunk native vlan <vlan id> to be a separate vlan
    dedicated for this across all trunks that doesn't contain any hosts
    3) use "udld port aggressive"
    4) don't use vtp. configure all switches as transparent but configure a
    common vtp domain. This gets debated but generally agreed if your
    environment is fairly static.
    5) only trunk vlans that are needed and only have vlans that are needed on
    the switches.
    6) define a template for common config components and make it policy it
    gets used on all trunk ports

    BernieM

    BernieM, Oct 14, 2006
  4. tony

    tony Guest

    I remember setting this command on one of my cisco 3750 switches.

    switchport trunk native vlan2 on the uplink port and I ended up losing all
    connectivity to the hosts connected to this 3750. By default All ports are
    on vlan1. So If i suddenly set uplink port to vlan2, I will have problems
    right?

    tony, Oct 16, 2006
  5. tony

    BernieM Guest

    "tony" <> wrote in message
    >I remember setting this command on one of my cisco 3750 switches.
    >
    > switchport trunk native vlan2 on the uplink port and I ended up losing all
    > connectivity to the hosts connected to this 3750. By default All ports are
    > on vlan1. So If i suddenly set uplink port to vlan2, I will have problems
    > right?

    Changing uplinks from access to trunking is going to cause spanning-tree
    reconvergence so there is going to be a period of connectivity loss but if
    you have all the correct settings at both ends things should come back. You
    can't expect to do this during production time.

    BernieM

    BernieM, Oct 17, 2006
  6. tony

    tony Guest

    how can i configure one uplink as a trunk? Also do I have to set all the
    other switches uplinks to trunk as well or can be done anytime?

    tony, Oct 18, 2006
  7. tony

    BernieM Guest

    "tony" <> wrote in message
    > how can i configure one uplink as a trunk? Also do I have to set all the
    > other switches uplinks to trunk as well or can be done anytime?

    You apply the configuration settings as mentioned previously. Apply
    "switchport mode trunk" last as that actually changes the mode from access
    to trunk and is when other 'switchport trunk' entries get applied.

    Links between switches are fairly independent of each other so, yes, you can
    do one first and others when ever.

    BernieM

    BernieM, Oct 18, 2006
  8. tony

    tony Guest

    I dont quite understand this one

    2) assign 'switchport trunk native vlan <vlan id> to be a separate vlan
    dedicated for this across all trunks that doesn't contain any hosts

    So far no hosts on this switch yet but I want to start plugging in the
    hosts. All ports on vlan1

    so far I have on uplink gigabit 1/1

    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport mode trunk
    udld port aggressive

    What about the other end of the the link. The other end of this switch is a
    non cisco switch.

    tony, Oct 18, 2006
  9. tony

    tony Guest

    So if I am only running one Vlan in the entire network and I configure all
    my switches uplinks to the core switch as trunks. Are there any issues with
    this?

    tony, Oct 18, 2006
  10. tony

    tony Guest

    BernieM

    can you elaborate on this

    tony, Oct 20, 2006
  11. tony

    BernieM Guest

    "tony" <> wrote in message
    > So if I am only running one Vlan in the entire network and I configure all
    > my switches uplinks to the core switch as trunks. Are there any issues
    > with this?

    There could be depending on the number of hosts ... remember it's one big
    broadcast domain. I don't know off hand what the rule of thumb is but it
    would pay you to research it. If you have layer-3 capability in the core
    why not use it.

    Configuring the uplinks as trunks is the best way to go even if you're only
    trunking a single vlan as it provides scalability ... you can add / remove
    vlans dynamically.

    BernieM

    BernieM, Oct 21, 2006
  12. tony

    BernieM Guest

    "tony" <> wrote in message
    > BernieM
    >
    > can you elaborate on this
    >
    > 6) define a template for common config components and make it policy it
    > gets used on all trunk ports

    This is documenting how trunks are configured and maintaining a common
    configuration across all trunks. I'm in the process of stabilising a
    somewhat troublesome network that has had sloppy adhoc changes made. An
    example of a common template for a trunk link is:

    description <description of link>
    switchport
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q\
    switchport trunk allowed <vlan id>,<vlan id>
    switchport mode trunk
    switchport trunk native vlan <vlan id>
    load-interval 30
    udld port agressive