Upgrate from 300D to 10D or D70

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Taylor, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. Bill Taylor

    Bill Taylor Guest

    I use the 300D and I am very happy with it's image quality. But some of the
    limitations (of course I knew before) are even worse in every day practice
    and can really damage pictures like the AI focus which sometimes "realizes"
    movements and does refocussing, where there just no movements and vice
    versa. So I want to upgrade to a better camera with free measuring choice,
    longer burst rate etc.

    I am in fight with myself between the Nikon D70 and the 10D. The lens
    equipment I have, is not so good, that it would prevent from selling them
    and going to Nikon (EF 50/1.8 I metall, 28-75/F2.8, EF 90-300 and the Kit
    lens 18-55) and anyway I itend to buy a fixed angle 85mm or 90mm and maybe a
    new standard zoom with image stabilization like Nikon 24-120 VR or Canon
    28-135 IS.

    The D70 is the younger cam, very fast from turning, via shooting up to
    review images. Image and noise in all test turn out to be really good an
    competitive to Canon's great CMOS sensor. Although on every journalist cam,
    sport or action photographer there is a big C on every cam as if there just
    wouldn't be any other manufacturers, I would think about going to Nikon, as
    I like the D70's materials, the handling and the technical data and the
    Nikon lenses shouldn't be worse than Canon's.

    The 10D is older and so maybe more stable and the same product line I am
    used and kompatible with my lenses, although I will change some of them
    anyway. I like the good sensor, but the all images I saw from the D70 so far
    are great too! By the way I often hear about problems regarding exact
    focussing with the 10D!!!

    Both camera's features would be really enough to cover what I need the next
    years. Any recommendation is highly appreciated.

    TIA,
    Bill
    Bill Taylor, Apr 23, 2004

  2. Bill Taylor

    Colm Guest

    Colm, Apr 23, 2004

  3. Bill Taylor

    Paul Howland Guest

    Colm wrote:

    > The D70 would appear to be the king of focus problems.
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1034

    Not at all. Mine, and many others, focus beautifully. This week's
    chatter on dpreview is nothing more than a fine example of newsgroup
    hysteria amongst a group of measurebators. Sure, a few people have a
    back focus problem. This would be true for any camera you choose to
    select. However, what you're seeing this week is a rash of amateurs
    conducting half-baked home-made experiments without understanding what
    it is they're really trying to test for. As I say, a few people have
    problems: the *vast* majority have none at all and can't sing the
    praises of this camera high enough. It's capable of taking some
    extremely good images ... in the right hands...
    Paul Howland, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Bill Taylor

    {STP} Guest

    In article <c6bbc6$a4fs0$-berlin.de>,
    "Colm" <> wrote:

    > The D70 would appear to be the king of focus problems.
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1034

    That's just silly.

    You can fool *any* AF system with the right/wrong target.

    In the real world, where I take photos, the D70 is virtually flawless.

    {STP}
    {STP}, Apr 23, 2004
  5. Bill Taylor

    Colm Guest

    As does my 10D.
    :)

    --
    Colm

    Colm, Apr 23, 2004
  6. Bill Taylor

    adm Guest

    "Colm" <> wrote in message
    > As does my 10D.
    > :)
    >
    > --
    > Colm

    I'm sure it does. But that doesn't mean there hasn't been idle chatter on
    the ngs about problems with it.

    My D70 has no focus problems at all and takes fantastic pics as well.
    adm, Apr 23, 2004
  7. Hi Bill

    You'd be happy with either camera.

    From your posting, looks like you're going
    to be making a major investment in lenses.
    So you need to think of the overall digital
    future of Canon vs. Nikon.

    If you're thinking of moving up soon
    to a full-frame DSLR, I'd go with the 10D,
    since Canon's got a big lead in that arena.

    Personal note: I was ready to sell my Nikon
    lenses, and jump to the Canon world, but the
    D70 reviews and reports were so good that
    I held back. Just got my D70 yesterday, and
    am EXTREMELY happy with it. Great little
    camera. Yep, it's got a plastic body, but it
    takes gorgeous pictures. No focus problems
    yet; but I am definitely NOT a measurebator.

    You won't be unhappy with either camera.

    Regards,

    Stan

    Stanley Krute, Apr 23, 2004
  8. Bill Taylor

    leo Guest

    > I use the 300D and I am very happy with it's image quality. But some of

    the
    > limitations (of course I knew before) are even worse in every day practice
    > and can really damage pictures like the AI focus which sometimes

    "realizes"
    > movements and does refocussing, where there just no movements and vice
    > versa. So I want to upgrade to a better camera with free measuring choice,
    > longer burst rate etc.
    >
    > I am in fight with myself between the Nikon D70 and the 10D. The lens
    > equipment I have, is not so good, that it would prevent from selling them
    > and going to Nikon (EF 50/1.8 I metall, 28-75/F2.8, EF 90-300 and the Kit
    > lens 18-55) and anyway I itend to buy a fixed angle 85mm or 90mm and maybe

    > new standard zoom with image stabilization like Nikon 24-120 VR or Canon
    > 28-135 IS.
    >
    > The D70 is the younger cam, very fast from turning, via shooting up to
    > review images. Image and noise in all test turn out to be really good an
    > competitive to Canon's great CMOS sensor. Although on every journalist

    cam,
    > sport or action photographer there is a big C on every cam as if there

    just
    > wouldn't be any other manufacturers, I would think about going to Nikon,

    as
    > I like the D70's materials, the handling and the technical data and the
    > Nikon lenses shouldn't be worse than Canon's.
    >
    > The 10D is older and so maybe more stable and the same product line I am
    > used and kompatible with my lenses, although I will change some of them
    > anyway. I like the good sensor, but the all images I saw from the D70 so

    far
    > are great too! By the way I often hear about problems regarding exact
    > focussing with the 10D!!!
    >
    > Both camera's features would be really enough to cover what I need the

    next
    > years. Any recommendation is highly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Bill

    I have the 300D. I too find some limitations hard to swallow, like one
    scroll wheel for aperture and shutter settings, for instance. I do intend to
    stay with Canon line however, as they have an edge in the sensor design
    while Nikon is just starting to develop their own. The Nikon has instant on
    feature but as people say the 300D uses up so little power that it's not
    necessary to turn it off and is not a bad idea to increase the time before
    auto shut off.
    leo, Apr 23, 2004
  9. Bill Taylor

    Searching_ut Guest

    Do you really think it's worth the time and money to upgrade right away?
    Like any computerized device, the useful life due to improvements of the
    newer stuff is only maybe 3 years on the long end. By then, the new stuff
    has improved to the point where you just can't seem to make do with the old
    anymore. Not that the old stuff isn't as good as it always was, it's just
    the new stuff has improved to the point you find the old devices lacking.

    Personally, I'd wait another year or so at which time the new stuff should
    be quite a bit better instead of just slight improvements in useability,
    quality, etc that are available now for the lower cost DSLR's. While I
    personally haven't ever had a problem on my DRebel with AI servo kicking in
    on stationary objects, if it does, you can easily overide it by hitting the
    DOF button which puts it back to one shot AF. My own experience is that
    getting AI servo to kick in for slower or horizontal moving items is more of
    a problem, but for now I can live with it being as how I rarely shoot quick
    action.

    For what it's worth

    Jeff
    Searching_ut, Apr 23, 2004
  10. Bill Taylor

    Guest

    {STP} <> wrote:

    > You can fool *any* AF system with the right/wrong target.

    > In the real world, where I take photos, the D70 is virtually flawless.

    I agree. I tried out a friend's D70, and I am impressed.
    That being said, my Digital Rebel does fine too. Rarely do I
    have problems with its auto-focus feature. When the auto-focus
    gets in my way, its a simple matter for me to turn off the auto-
    focus and then focus the camera manually.
    , Apr 23, 2004
  11. Bill Taylor

    MarkH Guest

    "Bill Taylor" <> wrote in

    > I use the 300D and I am very happy with it's image quality. But some
    > of the limitations (of course I knew before) are even worse in every
    > day practice and can really damage pictures like the AI focus which
    > sometimes "realizes" movements and does refocussing, where there just
    > no movements and vice versa. So I want to upgrade to a better camera
    > with free measuring choice, longer burst rate etc.

    The 10D is the 300D without all those limitations + metal body. The D70 is
    cheaper but you would need to spend more on lenses.

    Personally, I love my 10D and appreciate its 9 frame buffer so I would
    never consider the 300D with its miserly 4 frame buffer.

    Canon is likely to counter Nikon’s latest release, at some point there will
    be newer revisions of each camera. In the meantime it is possible that
    Canon will drop the price of both the 10D and the 300D to make the 10D
    closer in price to Nikon’s D70 and to make the 300D noticeably cheaper.

    However if your current camera is hampering your photography and you don’t
    want to wait a month or two to see what the market will do, then buy the
    new camera. I think that you would find the D70 a capable camera, but my
    advice would be to get the 10D. You could learn to use a 10D in minutes,
    the controls and menus are very similar to what you are used to.

    BTW
    I quite like the AI focus on the 10D, it works very well. Of course it is
    nice to have the option of switching to one-shot or continuous. I find
    that AI focus doesn’t usually change to tracking, even with some movement
    of the subject. When I decide to change from AI focus, it is usually a
    change to continuous focus.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Apr 23, 2004
  12. Bill Taylor

    Bill Taylor Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > "Bill Taylor" <> wrote in

    First I love to hear from you as some month ago I followed some of your
    postings and watched your gallery, so your comments are really
    appreciated...

    > The 10D is the 300D without all those limitations + metal body. The
    > D70 is cheaper but you would need to spend more on lenses.

    I did some calculations and for what I have now and what I want to have, the
    change to the D70 would be even a little cheaper (including lens change)
    than the change to the 10D.

    > Personally, I love my 10D and appreciate its 9 frame buffer so I would
    > never consider the 300D with its miserly 4 frame buffer.

    That is one of my biggest problem and the D70 even has almost unfinite (only
    limited by the card's capacity) frame rate with a fast card, that's pretty
    cool. Although I could also live with the 10D's 9 frame buffer too ;-) But
    the 4 frame buffer of the 300D is a quite bad feature if you take animal
    shots.

    > Canon is likely to counter Nikon's latest release, at some point
    > there will be newer revisions of each camera. In the meantime it is
    > possible that Canon will drop the price of both the 10D and the 300D
    > to make the 10D closer in price to Nikon's D70 and to make the 300D
    > noticeably cheaper.

    ACK, I totally agree, this is what will happen in my eyes either.

    > However if your current camera is hampering your photography and you
    > don't want to wait a month or two to see what the market will do,
    > then buy the new camera. I think that you would find the D70 a
    > capable camera, but my advice would be to get the 10D. You could
    > learn to use a 10D in minutes, the controls and menus are very
    > similar to what you are used to.

    Thank you a lot for this frankly statement as I know, you really love your
    10D. BTW, actually I like Canon, the product portfolio and I have at least
    some okay lenses like the 50/f1.8 (original version not Mark II) and a nice
    flash (Sigma 500 DG Super) etc. But I really like, what Nikon put in the D70
    which *for me* seems similar to what the 10D offers. I like usefull ideas
    like the display protection cab that is easy and effective or the fast
    switch on time or image review. Are there any things with the 10D your are
    not happy with?
    Bill Taylor, Apr 23, 2004
  13. Bill Taylor

    Guest

    "Bill Taylor" <> wrote:

    > Any recommendation is highly appreciated.

    Sell your toy lenses and bodies and buy _the_ most expensive lens you
    can afford. Or two. In fact, you may wish to get a lens set you
    can't really afford. This will at least help distract you from your
    technological neurosis.

    Everything else is a secondary consideration, and will be driven by
    the above purchases. (Example: if you bought a bunch of Canon
    lenses, you don't even have to worry about a D70. And vice versa.)
    , Apr 24, 2004
  14. Bill Taylor

    Don Guest

    Do not underestimate the "feel" of the 10D titanium body and its ergonomics.
    This is not to say it's better or worse than the Nikon just to indicate that
    taking photographs can be enhanced by the tactile feedback from your camera.
    Suggest you spend some time handling both in situations like speed lens
    changes, cold weather, rain etc. This will help you make up your mind.
    Also, does the D70 have an equivalent accessory to the BIG ED battery case
    that the 10D has. I use the BIG ED on my 10D body all the time not only for
    the extended battery time but for its ease and balance.

    regard
    Don from Down Under

    Don, Apr 24, 2004
  15. Bill Taylor

    leo Guest

    > I use the 300D and I am very happy with it's image quality. But some of

    the
    > limitations (of course I knew before) are even worse in every day practice
    > and can really damage pictures like the AI focus which sometimes

    "realizes"
    > movements and does refocussing, where there just no movements and vice
    > versa. So I want to upgrade to a better camera with free measuring choice,
    > longer burst rate etc.
    >
    > I am in fight with myself between the Nikon D70 and the 10D. The lens
    > equipment I have, is not so good, that it would prevent from selling them
    > and going to Nikon (EF 50/1.8 I metall, 28-75/F2.8, EF 90-300 and the Kit
    > lens 18-55) and anyway I itend to buy a fixed angle 85mm or 90mm and maybe

    > new standard zoom with image stabilization like Nikon 24-120 VR or Canon
    > 28-135 IS.
    >
    > The D70 is the younger cam, very fast from turning, via shooting up to
    > review images. Image and noise in all test turn out to be really good an
    > competitive to Canon's great CMOS sensor. Although on every journalist

    cam,
    > sport or action photographer there is a big C on every cam as if there

    just
    > wouldn't be any other manufacturers, I would think about going to Nikon,

    as
    > I like the D70's materials, the handling and the technical data and the
    > Nikon lenses shouldn't be worse than Canon's.
    >
    > The 10D is older and so maybe more stable and the same product line I am
    > used and kompatible with my lenses, although I will change some of them
    > anyway. I like the good sensor, but the all images I saw from the D70 so

    far
    > are great too! By the way I often hear about problems regarding exact
    > focussing with the 10D!!!
    >
    > Both camera's features would be really enough to cover what I need the

    next
    > years. Any recommendation is highly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Bill

    I come across this tips and tricks page for 300D, including full time AI
    Servo hack.

    http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/tricks/digital-rebel-tricks.html
    leo, Apr 24, 2004
  16. Bill Taylor

    MarkH Guest

    "Bill Taylor" <> wrote in

    > Thank you a lot for this frankly statement as I know, you really love
    > your 10D. BTW, actually I like Canon, the product portfolio and I have
    > at least some okay lenses like the 50/f1.8 (original version not Mark
    > II) and a nice flash (Sigma 500 DG Super) etc. But I really like, what
    > Nikon put in the D70 which *for me* seems similar to what the 10D
    > offers. I like usefull ideas like the display protection cab that is
    > easy and effective or the fast switch on time or image review. Are
    > there any things with the 10D your are not happy with?

    Really the only features that I want which are lacking in my 10D are the
    ones in the 1DMkII - Like the weather seals and 8.5fps/40 frames and AF
    down to f8. Unfortunately I can’t afford $4500US for the body alone.

    The 10D gives me all the settings I need, and more. I do need to update my
    website with pictures from this years Rally of New Zealand, but so far I
    still have to whittle them down some more (I took 950 shots and have picked
    150 good ones, too many really).

    MarkH, Apr 24, 2004
  17. "Bill Taylor" <> wrote in message news:<408904f7$0$261$>...
    > I use the 300D and I am very happy with it's image quality. But some of the
    > limitations (of course I knew before) are even worse in every day practice
    > and can really damage pictures like the AI focus which sometimes "realizes"
    > movements and does refocussing, where there just no movements and vice
    > versa. So I want to upgrade to a better camera with free measuring choice,
    > longer burst rate etc.
    >
    > I am in fight with myself between the Nikon D70 and the 10D. The lens
    > equipment I have, is not so good, that it would prevent from selling them
    > and going to Nikon (EF 50/1.8 I metall, 28-75/F2.8, EF 90-300 and the Kit
    > lens 18-55) and anyway I itend to buy a fixed angle 85mm or 90mm and maybe a
    > new standard zoom with image stabilization like Nikon 24-120 VR or Canon
    > 28-135 IS.

    The 10D is an even worse "focuser" by all accounts than the 300D, if
    you can image that. The biggest problem with Canon DSLRs is that they
    are soooooo slow in operation...

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page10.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/

    The D70 is a little better...

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page10.asp

    ....but still not as good as the 13.7MP Sigmas...

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd9/page10.asp

    Consider getting more than double the MPs for half the price of a D70
    with an SD9.
    George Preddy, Apr 24, 2004
  18. Bill Taylor

    PTRAVEL Guest

    > > I use the 300D and I am very happy with it's image quality. But some of

    the
    > > limitations (of course I knew before) are even worse in every day

    practice
    > > and can really damage pictures like the AI focus which sometimes

    "realizes"
    > > movements and does refocussing, where there just no movements and vice
    > > versa. So I want to upgrade to a better camera with free measuring

    choice,
    > > longer burst rate etc.
    > >
    > > I am in fight with myself between the Nikon D70 and the 10D. The lens
    > > equipment I have, is not so good, that it would prevent from selling

    them
    > > and going to Nikon (EF 50/1.8 I metall, 28-75/F2.8, EF 90-300 and the

    Kit
    > > lens 18-55) and anyway I itend to buy a fixed angle 85mm or 90mm and

    maybe a
    > > new standard zoom with image stabilization like Nikon 24-120 VR or Canon
    > > 28-135 IS.

    > The 10D is an even worse "focuser" by all accounts than the 300D, if
    > you can image that. The biggest problem with Canon DSLRs is that they
    > are soooooo slow in operation...
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page10.asp
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/

    Once again, George, you're simply lying. These reviews that you've cited
    don't say anything of the sort.

    PTRAVEL, Apr 24, 2004
  19. Bill Taylor

    JC Dill Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:20:44 -0700, "Stanley Krute"
    <> wrote:

    >From your posting, looks like you're going
    >to be making a major investment in lenses.
    >So you need to think of the overall digital
    >future of Canon vs. Nikon.

    I'd like to echo this comment. I spent months here reading about the
    differences between the Canon and Nikon DSLR lines, and decided to buy
    Canon, based on the above reason. It's not what I'm buying today that
    matters, it's what *line* I'm buying into, for the long run. The
    lenses I buy now for my 300D will go on a Mark II, and then in a few
    years will go on whatever I upgrade to next. I'm going to end up
    spending as much money on lenses as I am on camera bodies, and I won't
    have to sell them to move to a different line.

    Since you already have Canon lenses, consider that they can be
    *backup* lenses (and the 300D a backup body) if you stay with the
    Canon line, rather than taking a loss to sell them used and move to
    Nikon.

    HTH

    jc
    JC Dill, Apr 25, 2004
  20. "PTRAVEL" <> wrote in message news:<uuxic.558$>...
    > "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    > > "Bill Taylor" <> wrote in message

    > > > I use the 300D and I am very happy with it's image quality. But some of

    > the
    > > > limitations (of course I knew before) are even worse in every day

    > practice
    > > > and can really damage pictures like the AI focus which sometimes

    > "realizes"
    > > > movements and does refocussing, where there just no movements and vice
    > > > versa. So I want to upgrade to a better camera with free measuring

    > choice,
    > > > longer burst rate etc.
    > > >
    > > > I am in fight with myself between the Nikon D70 and the 10D. The lens
    > > > equipment I have, is not so good, that it would prevent from selling

    > them
    > > > and going to Nikon (EF 50/1.8 I metall, 28-75/F2.8, EF 90-300 and the

    > Kit
    > > > lens 18-55) and anyway I itend to buy a fixed angle 85mm or 90mm and

    > maybe a
    > > > new standard zoom with image stabilization like Nikon 24-120 VR or Canon
    > > > 28-135 IS.

    > > The 10D is an even worse "focuser" by all accounts than the 300D, if
    > > you can image that. The biggest problem with Canon DSLRs is that they
    > > are soooooo slow in operation...
    > >
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page10.asp
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/

    > Once again, George, you're simply lying. These reviews that you've cited
    > don't say anything of the sort.

    Then post all of the Canon 10D's worse than prosumer timings, and tell
    me why dpreview, a big time Canon advertising dollar reciepient, is
    intentionally lying to fool people into thinking the 10D's operating
    speed stinks?

    I think you owe Mr Askey an apology, his posted 10D times are super
    slow indeed, but they are accurate. The 10D and 300D are in fact
    very, very slow.
    George Preddy, Apr 25, 2004