    -------> Ian Guest

    If I upgrade my motherboard, processor, memory, and graphics card,
    will I still be able to use my old OS (Win95)?
    -------> Ian, Jan 13, 2004

  2. -------> Ian

    Night_Seer Guest

    > If I upgrade my motherboard, processor, memory, and graphics card,
    > will I still be able to use my old OS (Win95)?

    Sure. Though you won't be able to use all the features to their
    fullest...USB support in 95 is dismal. BUt it would still work. Heck
    you could install Windows 3.11 if you wanted to.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 13, 2004

  3. -------> Ian

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in

    > Sure. Though you won't be able to use all the features to their
    > fullest...USB support in 95 is dismal. BUt it would still work. Heck
    > you could install Windows 3.11 if you wanted to.

    Install DOS 5. That'd be fun!

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 13, 2004
  4. -------> Ian

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
    >
    >> Sure. Though you won't be able to use all the features to their
    >> fullest...USB support in 95 is dismal. BUt it would still work.
    >> Heck you could install Windows 3.11 if you wanted to.

    > Install DOS 5. That'd be fun!

    LOL...yeah lots of fun :)

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 14, 2004
  5. -------> Ian

    Bill Nathan Guest

    Why the hell would you upgrade all those parts and keep Windows 95? XP can
    be bought for $85 shipped. You can upgrade to anything but XP for around
    $85. But you want to keep 95. Priceless! Do you have a mental attachment to
    it? just kiddin. But you should upgrade from 95 to get top performance out
    of everything.

    Bill Nathan, Jan 14, 2004
  6. -------> Ian

    Night_Seer Guest

    Bill Nathan wrote:
    > Why the hell would you upgrade all those parts and keep Windows 95?
    > XP can be bought for $85 shipped. You can upgrade to anything but XP
    > for around $85. But you want to keep 95. Priceless! Do you have a
    > mental attachment to it? just kiddin. But you should upgrade from 95
    > to get top performance out of everything.

    At the very least find yourself a copy of 98SE on eBay or something.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 14, 2004
  7. -------> Ian

    Thor Guest

    Believe me, you wouldn't want to. In any case, no. Win95 is simply too old
    to support current hardware.

    Thor, Jan 14, 2004
  8. -------> Ian

    Thor Guest

    > > If I upgrade my motherboard, processor, memory, and graphics card,
    > > will I still be able to use my old OS (Win95)?

    > Sure. Though you won't be able to use all the features to their
    > fullest...USB support in 95 is dismal.

    depending on the version, it could be nonexistant. USB support didn't come
    out until Win95B's second release.
    Thor, Jan 14, 2004
  9. -------> Ian

    -------> Ian Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote:

    >Believe me, you wouldn't want to. In any case, no. Win95 is simply too old
    >to support current hardware.

    I thought it might be too old for current chipsets etc...

    I don't want to bother upgrading the OS, as I don't need to, and XP
    takes up a lot more hard disk space. I may also not upgrade to
    current hardware, but get something in the second hand market (like a
    Pent III or something).
    -------> Ian, Jan 14, 2004
  10. -------> Ian

    -------> Ian Guest

    "Bill Nathan" <> wrote:

    >Why the hell would you upgrade all those parts and keep Windows 95?

    Why the hell would I upgrade to XP?

    >XP can
    >be bought for $85 shipped. You can upgrade to anything but XP for around
    >$85.

    Ok, so I spend $85 for what? Prettier interface? Tell you what,
    whenever MS release a new OS, you go out and buy it, because it's
    always really worth it.

    >But you want to keep 95. Priceless! Do you have a mental attachment to
    >it? just kiddin.

    95 came with that machine, and does everything it needs to do.

    >But you should upgrade from 95 to get top performance out
    >of everything.

    I'm thinking of upgrading so Linux runs faster, Win95 is fine.

    Now, pipe down.
    -------> Ian, Jan 14, 2004
  11. -------> Ian

    Night_Seer Guest

    > "Thor" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Believe me, you wouldn't want to. In any case, no. Win95 is simply
    >> too old to support current hardware.

    > I thought it might be too old for current chipsets etc...
    >
    > I don't want to bother upgrading the OS, as I don't need to, and XP
    > takes up a lot more hard disk space. I may also not upgrade to
    > current hardware, but get something in the second hand market (like a
    > Pent III or something).

    Why not get a copy of win 98SE its not much different than 95 and you
    could probably get it cheap on eBay or something.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 14, 2004
  12. -------> Ian

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:31:50 +0000, "-------> Ian"
    <> wrote:

    >If I upgrade my motherboard, processor, memory, and graphics card,
    >will I still be able to use my old OS (Win95)?

    No...you can't install a modern mb and use Win95...unless the
    documentation for the mb specifically says that Win95 drivers are
    included.

    But I've never seen any like that. Win95 drivers just aren't written
    any more.

    You'll need to upgrade 95...to probably 98FE...before you install the
    mb. There are some boards that do have 95b drivers available...but
    not 95.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Jan 16, 2004