    several programs open at once.

    SweetVenom Bob
    To write to me, delete OneTwoThree
    SweetVenom Bob, Jul 4, 2005

  2. SweetVenom Bob

    Nocturnal Guest

    Upgrade to the most recent and updated one. Windows XP Professional with
    Service Pack 2. I mean 2k just got its last rollup update meaning there
    will pretty much be no more updates for said operating system. XP is going
    to be supported for at least another 3-5 years. XP Pro SP2, you cannot go
    wrong.

    --
    Nocturnal

    http://www.spywaretalk.org

    Nocturnal, Jul 4, 2005

  3. SweetVenom Bob

    Ionizer Guest

    >I still use Windows 98, I don't like changing systems unless I
    >absolutely
    > have to. Well the time is coming since I'm encountering programs I
    > can't
    > use with Win 98.
    >
    > There are so many operating systems our there. What is a good system
    > upgrade Windows 98 to?
    >
    > I do the basic stuff; Internet, email etc. I also do a lot of memory
    > intensive stuff (I have 256 mb ram). I run Internet radio while I have
    > several programs open like photo editors. Or I listen to Internet
    > radio
    > while browsing.
    >
    > Does any operating system manage memory better than others? Or handle
    > well
    > several programs open at once.

    Can your system handle XP happily?
    http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,39024180,10000653,00.htm If
    not, you might be better off buying a newer computer.

    --
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Jul 4, 2005
  4. SweetVenom Bob

    gtg629v Guest

    i would definitely suggest windows xp. with the kind of applications you're
    talking about, i don't think you need linux, os2, etc.

    gtg629v, Jul 4, 2005
  5. SweetVenom Bob

    Fakename Guest

    There aren't as many options as you think for your existing hardware.

    If you want to use your same computer hardware you may not be able to
    upgrade to XP. And if you plan on keeping everything legal you may have
    a hard time finding an unopened copy of windows 2000, which again you
    also may not be able to upgrade to.

    Forget about linux. It's cool, as far as cool goes for computer nerds,
    but there is a steep learning curve that you probably won't want to tackle.

    OS2? Just as antiquated as Win98. Also, you can't get licenses for this
    anymore.

    Windows ME? Just save yourself some time and start jabbing a fork in
    your eye right now. But you could probably find a legit copy of this
    somewhere as id didn't sell very well.

    Computers are really really cheap these days. Spend a few hundred bucks
    and get yourself something useful. Every once and a while Dell sells XP
    machines for $300 CAD. Kick in a bit for some upgrades and a monitor
    and you can get a very useful system for $500 USD. You probably paid
    2-4 times as much for your Win98 machine...

    Fakename, Jul 5, 2005
  6. Ionizer wrote:
    > "SweetVenom Bob" <> wrote in message
    > >I still use Windows 98, I don't like changing systems unless I
    > >absolutely
    > > have to. Well the time is coming since I'm encountering programs I
    > > can't
    > > use with Win 98.
    > >
    > > There are so many operating systems our there. What is a good system
    > > upgrade Windows 98 to?
    > >
    > > I do the basic stuff; Internet, email etc. I also do a lot of memory
    > > intensive stuff (I have 256 mb ram). I run Internet radio while I have
    > > several programs open like photo editors. Or I listen to Internet
    > > radio
    > > while browsing.
    > >
    > > Does any operating system manage memory better than others? Or handle
    > > well
    > > several programs open at once.
    > >

    > Can your system handle XP happily?
    > http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,39024180,10000653,00.htm If
    > not, you might be better off buying a newer computer.
    >
    > --
    > Ian.

    /
    I went to the link and i have the recommended minimum. One thing i
    didn't like to read was that it "needs" 800x600 resolution. Is this
    absolutely necessary? I have my display at 640x480, because higher
    than that i cannot see and am very unhappy. Yes i could wear glasses,
    but i don't like to because they're uncomfortable, and when i'm surfing
    or writing email, i'm kicking back and enjoying myself.
    SweetVenom Bob, Jul 7, 2005
  7. SweetVenom Bob

    Ardent Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 06:22:54 GMT, SweetVenom Bob
    <> wrote:

    >I still use Windows 98, I don't like changing systems unless I absolutely
    >have to. Well the time is coming since I'm encountering programs I can't
    >use with Win 98.

    I too use Win98, the so called First Edition. I have been to SE, XP
    etc and always reverted back to 98

    >I do the basic stuff; Internet, email etc. I also do a lot of memory
    >intensive stuff (I have 256 mb ram). I run Internet radio while I have
    >several programs open like photo editors. Or I listen to Internet radio
    >while browsing.

    I do all the above, I have adsl, scanner, digicam etc etc and all work
    smoothly. Some programs, say HP Printers, refuse to run their
    setup.exe but I found workarounds to tame them.

    And I use 98 on an Intel chipset 845/P4 mobo that refused to install
    the mobo drivers in the first instance asking for 98SE minimum and had
    to cajole it a bit.

    In fact I have never felt the real urge to upgrade.

    HTH

    Now, await the flames :)

    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only
    Ardent, Jul 9, 2005
  8. Ardent wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 06:22:54 GMT, SweetVenom Bob
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I still use Windows 98, I don't like changing systems unless I absolutely
    > >have to. Well the time is coming since I'm encountering programs I can't
    > >use with Win 98.

    > I too use Win98, the so called First Edition. I have been to SE, XP
    > etc and always reverted back to 98

    /
    Why? What's does SE have that Win98 doesn't?

    > >I do the basic stuff; Internet, email etc. I also do a lot of memory
    > >intensive stuff (I have 256 mb ram). I run Internet radio while I have
    > >several programs open like photo editors. Or I listen to Internet radio
    > >while browsing.

    > I do all the above, I have adsl, scanner, digicam etc etc and all work
    > smoothly. Some programs, say HP Printers, refuse to run their
    > setup.exe but I found workarounds to tame them.

    /
    Workaround? Can you give an example please?

    > And I use 98 on an Intel chipset 845/P4 mobo that refused to install
    > the mobo drivers in the first instance asking for 98SE minimum and had
    > to cajole it a bit.

    /
    I don't want to. But eventually i think the time will come.

    SweetVenom Bob, Jul 15, 2005
  9. SweetVenom Bob

    Ardent Guest

    On 14 Jul 2005 20:23:15 -0700, "SweetVenom Bob"
    <> wrote:

    >Why? What's does SE have that Win98 doesn't?

    SE has internet sharing capabilities and has also some bug fixes,
    IMHO. And the installation is much larger than 98 IOW bloated.

    >Workaround? Can you give an example please?

    With the latest motherboards if you try to run the setup.exe that
    comes in the motherboard driver CD it looks for the OS and does not
    run if it is Win98.

    Do not run setup.exe and when the OS asks for the drivers (New
    hardware found) just point to the respective folder in the CD, the ok
    button will work only if the correct driver is found.

    HTH

    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only