Upgrading to Thunderbird 1.05

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Neon Knight, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. Neon Knight

    Neon Knight Guest

    What is the process for upgrading Thunderbird builds? I uninstalled 1.02
    and then installed 1.05 (keeping the same profile.) Is that the proper
    way to do it?
    Neon Knight, Jul 14, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Neon Knight

    Z Guest

    Neon Knight wrote:
    > What is the process for upgrading Thunderbird builds? I uninstalled 1.02
    > and then installed 1.05 (keeping the same profile.) Is that the proper
    > way to do it?


    Yes, but back up the entire profile first (before you uninstall).

    Just in case.
    Z, Jul 14, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Neon Knight

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Z wrote:

    > Neon Knight wrote:
    >
    >> What is the process for upgrading Thunderbird builds? I uninstalled
    >> 1.02 and then installed 1.05 (keeping the same profile.) Is that the
    >> proper way to do it?

    >
    >
    > Yes, but back up the entire profile first (before you uninstall).
    >
    > Just in case.


    Uninstalling a Mozilla product will NOT touch the profile. The program
    and profile are two totally separate locations unless a user moves one
    to a non-default location.

    But your advice to backup the profile is sound. It's something every
    user should do on a regular basis. I have automated software that backs
    up all of my profiles nightly.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    Why is it that when you transport something by car, it is called a
    shipment, but when you transport something by ship, it is called cargo?
    Ed Mullen, Jul 14, 2005
    #3
  4. Neon Knight

    Neon Knight Guest

    Neon Knight, Jul 14, 2005
    #4
  5. Neon Knight

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen, Jul 15, 2005
    #5
  6. Neon Knight

    Neon Knight Guest

    Ed Mullen <> wrote in
    news::

    > Just out of curiosity, what do you use for your regular Windows
    > backups?


    I used to use Copy Commander to clone the hard drive to a second one.
    Now, I use CD's/USB sticks for critical data.
    Neon Knight, Jul 15, 2005
    #6
  7. Neon Knight

    Z Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Just out of curiosity, what do you use for your regular Windows backups?


    You didn't ask me, but I use Windows Backup.
    Z, Jul 15, 2005
    #7
  8. Neon Knight

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Neon Knight wrote:

    > Ed Mullen <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    >
    >>Just out of curiosity, what do you use for your regular Windows
    >>backups?

    >
    >
    > I used to use Copy Commander to clone the hard drive to a second one.
    > Now, I use CD's/USB sticks for critical data.


    I should have said what /program/. What I was really driving at is that
    if you use a backup program for other things why not just use that to
    backup your Moz profile?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    What hair color do they put on the driver's licenses of bald men?
    Ed Mullen, Jul 15, 2005
    #8
  9. Neon Knight

    Guest

    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    snip
    >I should have said what /program/. What I was really driving at is that
    >if you use a backup program for other things why not just use that to
    >backup your Moz profile


    I use Acronis True image. Full image of each partition once a month,
    instrumentals every night. All to an external USB hard drive.

    --
    A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
    Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    , Jul 16, 2005
    #9
  10. Neon Knight

    Tony Raven Guest

    lid wrote:

    >
    > I use Acronis True image. Full image of each partition once a month,
    > instrumentals every night. All to an external USB hard drive.
    >


    Thanks for that suggestion. Been looking for a prog that would clone a
    laptop disc through firewire so I could switch to a 100GB. This program
    worked so well and easily I'm well impressed having tried many others
    without success. Might even buy it when the free trial runs out!

    --
    Tony

    "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
    Anon
    Tony Raven, Jul 16, 2005
    #10
  11. Neon Knight

    Ed Mullen Guest

    lid wrote:

    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >
    >>I should have said what /program/. What I was really driving at is that
    >>if you use a backup program for other things why not just use that to
    >>backup your Moz profile

    >
    >
    > I use Acronis True image. Full image of each partition once a month,
    > instrumentals every night. All to an external USB hard drive.
    >

    Good plan. And for those who aren't sure what we're talking about, a
    disk image is significantly different from a backup, a "differential"
    backup, or an "incremental" backup. An image is kinda like saying: take
    my whole house and put a copy in another county in case a tornado
    destroys the original. A backup says, well, the house is insured so if
    it gets trashed we could rebuild it, but save copies of all my family
    photos, medical records, financial stuff, stock certificates, etc. and
    put them in a safe place. Then, every day (week, month, etc.) save ONLY
    the new photos, new medical records, new financial, etc. created since
    the last backup so I have them in case of a fire.

    With respect to Mozilla applications (and most others) there are
    settings and data unique to you and your use of the program that you
    want to save regularly. The only time you'll notice the importance of
    this is when something happens and you wonder where all your emails,
    bookmarks, customizations, etc. went. So do it now or be sorry later.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. - Pablo Picasso
    Ed Mullen, Jul 17, 2005
    #11
  12. Neon Knight

    Guest

    Tony Raven <> wrote:

    >
    >Thanks for that suggestion. Been looking for a prog that would clone a


    Glad to help. Forgot to mention one other thing I do. The old Power
    Quest company, makers of Partition Magic, used to put a free program
    on their CDs called Datakeeper. With this program you select specific
    directories on you hard drive(s). Any file that is saved to one of
    those directories will also be saved to a location of your choice,
    maintaining the same directory tree. You could choose directories
    like your mozilla profile, My Documents, etc. You can also choose how
    many copies you want it to keep.

    This little gem has saved my butt more than once.

    --
    A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
    Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    , Jul 18, 2005
    #12
  13. Neon Knight

    Z Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> I use Acronis True image. Full image of each partition once a month,
    >> instrumentals every night. All to an external USB hard drive.


    > Good plan. And for those who aren't sure what we're talking about, a
    > disk image is significantly different from a backup, a "differential"
    > backup, or an "incremental" backup. An image is kinda like saying: take
    > my whole house and put a copy in another county in case a tornado
    > destroys the original. A backup says, well, the house is insured so if
    > it gets trashed we could rebuild it, but save copies of all my family
    > photos, medical records, financial stuff, stock certificates, etc. and
    > put them in a safe place. Then, every day (week, month, etc.) save ONLY
    > the new photos, new medical records, new financial, etc. created since
    > the last backup so I have them in case of a fire.


    An image - be it from Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, etc - has the
    same content as a Full Windows Backup with System State.
    Z, Jul 18, 2005
    #13
  14. Neon Knight

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Z wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >>> I use Acronis True image. Full image of each partition once a month,
    >>> instrumentals every night. All to an external USB hard drive.

    >
    >
    >> Good plan. And for those who aren't sure what we're talking about, a
    >> disk image is significantly different from a backup, a "differential"
    >> backup, or an "incremental" backup. An image is kinda like saying:
    >> take my whole house and put a copy in another county in case a tornado
    >> destroys the original. A backup says, well, the house is insured so
    >> if it gets trashed we could rebuild it, but save copies of all my
    >> family photos, medical records, financial stuff, stock certificates,
    >> etc. and put them in a safe place. Then, every day (week, month,
    >> etc.) save ONLY the new photos, new medical records, new financial,
    >> etc. created since the last backup so I have them in case of a fire.

    >
    >
    > An image - be it from Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, etc - has the
    > same content as a Full Windows Backup with System State.


    Assuming the backup sw will do that.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.
    Ed Mullen, Jul 18, 2005
    #14
  15. Neon Knight

    Z Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> An image - be it from Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, etc - has the
    >> same content as a Full Windows Backup with System State.


    > Assuming the backup sw will do that.


    By "Windows Backup" I mean Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools
    > Backup. And yes, it will do that.


    You can make Normal (ie: Full), Incremental or Differential (very handy
    for speedy restores) backups - all with Windows up and running at the time.

    There's a Windows Scheduler interface built in and you can create
    separate jobs that back up just specific areas, too. You can append or
    overwrite the backups, catalog automatically, etc.

    Few Windows users even seem to know about it.
    Z, Jul 18, 2005
    #15
  16. Neon Knight

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Z wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >>> An image - be it from Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, etc - has the
    >>> same content as a Full Windows Backup with System State.

    >
    >
    >> Assuming the backup sw will do that.

    >
    >
    > By "Windows Backup" I mean Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools
    > > Backup. And yes, it will do that.

    >
    > You can make Normal (ie: Full), Incremental or Differential (very handy
    > for speedy restores) backups - all with Windows up and running at the time.
    >
    > There's a Windows Scheduler interface built in and you can create
    > separate jobs that back up just specific areas, too. You can append or
    > overwrite the backups, catalog automatically, etc.
    >
    > Few Windows users even seem to know about it.


    Probably because it does not exist in a standard install of Windows (XP
    at least, can't recall 98). It's on the CD-ROM but you have to install
    it after the fact.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    Introducing LITE - the new way to spell LIGHT with 20% fewer letters!
    Ed Mullen, Jul 18, 2005
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Poppn

    Video card Upgrading

    Poppn, Jul 5, 2005, in forum: Hardware
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    1,930
    PUTALE
    Jul 9, 2005
  2. David

    Upgrading to high speed, FAQ?

    David, Nov 4, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    494
    Deborah Harper
    Nov 9, 2004
  3. =?Utf-8?B?am9obm55X3dheg==?=

    Laptop won't connect to internet after upgrading to SP2

    =?Utf-8?B?am9obm55X3dheg==?=, Jul 29, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    615
    Clark
    Jul 31, 2005
  4. mapmaker
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,031
    Leonidas Jones
    Mar 5, 2005
  5. attila001122
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,105
    attila001122
    Jun 6, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page