    Am I being overly concerned about SP2?

    Thanks!
    Scott
    Scott, Sep 28, 2006

  2. Scott

    Malke Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > I'm thinking of upgrading my 4-year old Win XP Pro desktop to SP2.
    > I've heard stories about SP2 killing a home network. I have a
    > Linksys-G WRT54G wireless router...using wired and wireless to 6 other
    > Win98 and WinXP computers, and everything works perfectly.
    >
    > Am I being overly concerned about SP2?

    Here are the factors that could cause a problem with networking after
    SP2:

    1. You might need to update/reinstall the NIC drivers so have them on
    hand.

    2. SP2 automatically enables the Windows Firewall. If you have a
    third-party firewall or an antivirus with an "Internet worm protection"
    function like NAV, you'll need to disable the WF afterwards.

    Neither of these items are any big deal. You should, however, make all
    proper preparations before installing SP2. This includes making sure
    that the machine is completely virus/malware-free and installing any
    required pre-SP2 patches from the OEM if it is an OEM machine (HP,
    Sony, Dell, etc.) and naturally you will want to back up your data.
    These are common-sense precautions one takes before applying any major
    operating system upgrade. Here are links to help you prepare for SP2.

    Are You Ready for WinXP SP2? -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

    Follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist -

    SP2 links to OEMs - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/oemlinks.mspx

    http://aumha.net - See SP2 forums

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#sp2 - Windows SP2 Information,
    Guidelines and Troubleshooting
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#General

    I don't know how many computers - my own and my clients' - on which I've
    installed SP2 in the more than 2 years since it came out - but there
    have been quite a lot. The only one I've ever had trouble with was one
    that had a pirated OS.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Sep 28, 2006

  3. "Scott" wrote:
    > I'm thinking of upgrading my 4-year old Win XP Pro desktop to SP2.

    Hmm when he's five you'd like to upgrade him to Vista

    > Am I being overly concerned about SP2?

    Seems so...

    --PA
    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Sep 28, 2006
  4. "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking of upgrading my 4-year old Win XP Pro desktop to SP2. I've
    > heard
    > stories about SP2 killing a home network. I have a Linksys-G WRT54G
    > wireless
    > router...using wired and wireless to 6 other Win98 and WinXP computers,
    > and
    > everything works perfectly.
    >
    > Am I being overly concerned about SP2?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott

    I have upgraded every XP that was legal that I have ever seen to SP2 and
    many of them using wired and/or wireless networks. I have done this to so
    many networks, I cant even begin to think what number that would be. So far,
    no problems. In fact, because of updates, some things work easier.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Sep 28, 2006