    Or, install to and run 10.4 off the external firewire disk?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 6, 2005

  2. thing

    thing Guest

    thing wrote:
    > I have no space left on my 30 gig disk, so I want to buy a 250gig disk
    > and install it inside the MAC (Im told there are no size
    > limits).....problem is preserving the settings....
    >
    > If I mount the 250gig disk in the external firewire case, can I drag and
    > drop the 10.3 systems folder? or entire volume? to it? and then install
    > over it? swap disks and see it boot?
    >
    > Or, install to and run 10.4 off the external firewire disk?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Would 10.4 run faster internally, or externally?

    My fav option would be to drag and drop the 10.3 disk partition to the
    ext disk and upgrade over it so I end up with 10.3 and 10.4 with all my
    settings.

    can I dd an image?

    what are the paths?

    eg for linux its dd if=/dev/hda1 of=dev/sda1

    Down the /dev/ somewhere...

    :/

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 6, 2005

  3. thing

    David Preece Guest

    thing wrote:
    >> I have no space left on my 30 gig disk, so I want to buy a 250gig disk
    >> and install it inside the MAC (Im told there are no size
    >> limits).....problem is preserving the settings....

    Hmmmm.

    >> If I mount the 250gig disk in the external firewire case, can I drag
    >> and drop the 10.3 systems folder? or entire volume? to it?

    Probably not. However, using Disk Utility (applications/utilities/disk
    utility) you can create an image of your existing 30GB drive, then
    restore the image onto the new drive while it's still external. I'm sure
    there's a better way, but I can't think of it right now.

    >> Or, install to and run 10.4 off the external firewire disk?

    Nah. It'll work fine, but I think performance may leave something to be
    desired.

    Why not put the existing 10.3 disk in the external case and the new disk
    in the machine. Boot off CD and install to the new drive afresh. Then
    you can mount the old drive and drag your old home directory and any
    applications you want to shift over.

    > can I dd an image?

    I wouldn't have thought so, but feel free to prove me wrong :)

    I take it this is a small/old Mac? An old iMac?

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Preece, Jul 7, 2005
  4. thing

    thing Guest

    David Preece wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >
    >>> I have no space left on my 30 gig disk, so I want to buy a 250gig
    >>> disk and install it inside the MAC (Im told there are no size
    >>> limits).....problem is preserving the settings....

    > Hmmmm.
    >
    >>> If I mount the 250gig disk in the external firewire case, can I drag
    >>> and drop the 10.3 systems folder? or entire volume? to it?

    > Probably not. However, using Disk Utility (applications/utilities/disk
    > utility) you can create an image of your existing 30GB drive, then
    > restore the image onto the new drive while it's still external. I'm sure
    > there's a better way, but I can't think of it right now.

    Kinda hard to make an image with no disk space, but I will see what I
    can arrange with a second ext disk if I can scrounge one.

    >>> Or, install to and run 10.4 off the external firewire disk?

    > Nah. It'll work fine, but I think performance may leave something to be
    > desired.
    >
    > Why not put the existing 10.3 disk in the external case and the new disk
    > in the machine. Boot off CD and install to the new drive afresh. Then
    > you can mount the old drive and drag your old home directory and any
    > applications you want to shift over.

    Sounds good...I dont know much about Macs.....

    >> can I dd an image?

    > I wouldn't have thought so, but feel free to prove me wrong :)
    >
    > I take it this is a small/old Mac? An old iMac?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dave

    It is a flower power iMac, G3~500Mhz, 1 gig Ram, 30 gig HD, cd-rw.

    The CPU is getting "lite" for movie work but otherwise its fine....just
    need more disk....and tiger offers isync updates etc that means we can
    make best use of the add on bits'n pieces.

    We would like a new G5 but wouldnt we all!

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 7, 2005
  5. thing

    mark Guest

    thing <> wrote in news:42cca004$:

    > Subject: Re: Upgrading to OSX 10.4 from 10.3
    > From: thing <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >
    > David Preece wrote:

    >> Hmmmm.

    >> Probably not. However, using Disk Utility
    >> (applications/utilities/disk utility) you can create an image of your
    >> existing 30GB drive, then restore the image onto the new drive while
    >> it's still external. I'm sure there's a better way, but I can't think
    >> of it right now.

    > Kinda hard to make an image with no disk space, but I will see what I
    > can arrange with a second ext disk if I can scrounge one.

    You could do as David suggests a number of ways.

    The easiest way would probably be to use NetRestore (www.bombich.com) to
    copy your local 30GB partition to the external disk after first
    formatting the external disk using Disk Utility. You will *probably* get
    away with doing a live copy (ie., copying while booted into the system
    you are copying from).

    If not, you can create a bootable Mac OS X using BootCD
    (www.charlessoft.com/) and run a copy of NetRestore from that to copy
    the system cold.

    NetRestore, despite the name, also copies local partitions to local
    partitions etc :)

    You might also find you can simply install Mac OS X 10.4 to the external
    drive and then during setup migrate the data from your 10.3 install to
    the 10.4 install (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/setup/).

    Cheers,
    Mark

    mark, Jul 8, 2005
  6. In article <42cbb2c7$>, thing <> wrote:

    >If I mount the 250gig disk in the external firewire case, can I drag and
    >drop the 10.3 systems folder?

    Not likely. Unlike old MacOS, where what you saw in the System Folder
    was all there was, in OS X there's a bunch of other stuff (/var, /usr
    etc) that the Finder hides from you so things look more "Mac-like". If
    you drag and drop only what you can see, you won't end up with a
    functioning OS.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 12, 2005