Upgrading to high speed, FAQ?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by David, Nov 4, 2004.

  1. David

    David Guest

    I have a home wireless network installed between two XP PC's, but it is slow
    and unreliable (802.11b). I want to upgrade to the newer high-speed network
    hardware, but it took me a long time to get it working in the first
    place--communicating, sharing printers, port forwarding, etc.

    Is there a FAQ I can consult?

    Do I need to "deconstruct" the old network, and re-do it, or can I just swap
    out the hardware?

    Any caveats from those more experienced than me? I'd consider myself an
    intermediate computer user--I'm the neighborhood go-to guy for computer
    problems, but sometimes I have to tell my friends to call a pro. I set up
    my first network, and have it configured so it all works with the firewall,
    printers, etc., so I have some idea of what I'm doing.

    Thanks

    Dave
    earguy

    David, Nov 4, 2004

  2. David

    Pavel A. Guest

    Pavel A., Nov 5, 2004

  3. Your speed problems won't necessarily disappear with with a faster rated
    speed. My 802.11b network supports one Win 98 PC and the speed is more than
    adequate. I've also connected laptops for diagnosis from time to time and
    never had a problem with network speed.
    In other words, find the bottlenecks in your present system first.

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=, Nov 5, 2004
  4. David

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    It really depends on you set your current Network.

    If the Computers Network's settings are set to Auto (IP, DNS, etc.) you can
    leave the network settings as is, when you put the New Router it will detect
    it and configure itself.

    If your current Router is at default you would need to set the WAN
    connection, and it probably will work with the Wire.

    How to Fix Cable/DSL Internet authentication (password). -
    http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html

    The Wireless has to be set again (SSID WEP/WPA) etc.

    Wireless - BasicSecurity: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Other Router setting like port opening MAC filtering etc would need to be
    set again on the New Router.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Nov 6, 2004
  5. "Hugh" <> wrote in message
    > Your speed problems won't necessarily disappear with with a faster rated
    > speed. My 802.11b network supports one Win 98 PC and the speed is more

    than
    > adequate. I've also connected laptops for diagnosis from time to time and
    > never had a problem with network speed.
    > In other words, find the bottlenecks in your present system first.

    I'm not the original poster, but interested still. Bottlenecks..... such
    as??? My wireless laptop is fast, and fast on connection, but my desktop is
    (currently) wired and is S L O W on connection. Suggestions?

    Deborah

    Deborah Harper, Nov 9, 2004