    appreciated.

    Thanks
    Robert

    Robert, May 20, 2005

  2. Robert

    G.T. Guest

    "Robert" <1.net> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide between the
    > Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly between the Evolt and

    the
    > EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and the Canon has the CMOS. Back When

    > bought the C4040 I read that the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now.
    > Any advice and comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be

    greatly
    > appreciated.

    I own a Rebel XT, and I owned an original Rebel. I would skip the original
    Rebel/300D unless you really need to save money. Of all four cameras I
    would get the 20D if you have the money. It's all around the best of the 4
    cameras in your list. Between the Oly and the Rebel XT/350D I would pick
    the 350D due to more lens options including plenty of 3rd party lenses and
    it not being 4/3. The only thing I don't like about my XT is the relatively
    small size, although it looks like the Evolt is relatively small, too. One
    interesting feature of the Evolt is it's Supersonic Wave Filter for
    theoretically keeping dust off of the sensor.

    My recommendation is the 20D if you have the money, 350D if not.

    Keep the C4040 as a p&s backup either way.

    Greg

    G.T., May 20, 2005

  3. Robert

    Hannah Guest

    > I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide between the
    > Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly between the Evolt and

    the
    > EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and the Canon has the CMOS. Back When

    If those 4 choices are in your basket then surely there can only be one
    winner, the 20D.
    The Evolt and the 350D are hardly in the same class.
    Hannah.

    Hannah, May 20, 2005
  4. "Robert" <1.net> wrote in message
    >I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide between the
    > Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly between the Evolt and
    > the
    > EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and the Canon has the CMOS. Back When
    > bought the C4040 I read that the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now.
    > Any advice and comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be
    > greatly
    > appreciated.

    I agree with the advice you have already received (get the 20D) and I'll add
    that CMOS used to be inferior, but that has changed.

    Charles Schuler, May 20, 2005
  5. "Robert" <1.net> wrote in

    > I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide
    > between the Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly
    > between the Evolt and the EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and
    > the Canon has the CMOS. Back When I bought the C4040 I read that
    > the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now. Any advice and
    > comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    Sigma will be announcing several new bodies before the end of the
    summer so it might be better to wait. If you want to start shooting
    with a DSLR immediately you can find really excellent deals on used
    Sigma SD10 and SD9 bodies, which have a way better sensor than the
    DSLRs of all other manufacturers. If you are set on Four Thirds, then
    it would be best to wait for the Sigma Four Thirds body to ship because
    the Oly models are essentially junk.

    George Preddy, May 20, 2005
  6. Robert

    steve Guest

    Personally I think Canon is the way to go. Much lower noise levels.

    For what it is worth, I currently have a 10D and love it.

    www.dpreview.com offers good reviews on many digital cameras. You might
    want to browse the reviews and see what they had to say.

    Steve

    steve, May 20, 2005
  7. Robert

    Cynicor Guest

    George Preddy wrote:
    > "Robert" <1.net> wrote in
    >

    >>I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide
    >>between the Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly
    >>between the Evolt and the EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and
    >>the Canon has the CMOS. Back When I bought the C4040 I read that
    >>the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now. Any advice and
    >>comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be greatly
    >>appreciated.

    > Sigma will be announcing several new bodies before the end of the
    > summer so it might be better to wait. If you want to start shooting
    > with a DSLR immediately you can find really excellent deals on used
    > Sigma SD10 and SD9 bodies, which have a way better sensor than the
    > DSLRs of all other manufacturers. If you are set on Four Thirds, then
    > it would be best to wait for the Sigma Four Thirds body to ship because
    > the Oly models are essentially junk.

    Interesting choices. Say, I note that you haven't answered my question
    in another thread. Please identify sources for three instances where the
    front lens element has fallen off a Nikon kit lens and a Canon kit lens
    under light usage conditions. Yesterday you claimed that you'd heard
    numerous reports of this.

    Cynicor, May 20, 2005
  8. Robert

    Aza Guest

    "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    > "Robert" <1.net> wrote in
    >
    >> I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide
    >> between the Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly
    >> between the Evolt and the EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and
    >> the Canon has the CMOS. Back When I bought the C4040 I read that
    >> the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now. Any advice and
    >> comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be greatly
    >> appreciated.

    > Sigma will be announcing several new bodies before the end of the
    > summer so it might be better to wait. If you want to start shooting
    > with a DSLR immediately you can find really excellent deals on used
    > Sigma SD10 and SD9 bodies, which have a way better sensor than the
    > DSLRs of all other manufacturers. If you are set on Four Thirds, then
    > it would be best to wait for the Sigma Four Thirds body to ship because
    > the Oly models are essentially junk.

    Hurrah!, Susie's back!....

    So, Sue, your latest jest is to tell us that Sigma are finally going to
    draw the sharp blade of commercial failure across their own throats by
    producing a final camera that employs a no-hope sensor in a no-hope format?

    Perhaps you're right, perhaps suicide is fashionable in Japan this year -
    but then again, perhaps not.

    Sigma have proved to be extremely unenthusiastic about the 4/3 system -
    despite being one of the original signatories to that pact of the damned.

    For instance, they *could' have made their better quality EX lenses fit the
    4/3 system. That would have given them a terrific edge over the only
    alternative, stupidly priced Olympus glass.

    But the didn't, did they Sue? - in fact, they only lenses they bothered to
    release for 4/3 were a couple of crappy cheapies.

    Why? - could it be that they know the 4/3 system is a road to nowhere? As
    for using yet another Foveon chip! - they really would have to be seeking
    financial ruin if they did that!

    I, personally, think that Sigma will just bow out of the camera body market
    altogether - but if a new body is in the pipeline you can be sure that they
    will try and get it right this time - which means No Foveon & No Four Thirds

    Aza, May 20, 2005

  9. > Sigma will be announcing several new bodies before the end of the
    > summer so it might be better to wait. If you want to start shooting
    > with a DSLR immediately you can find really excellent deals on used
    > Sigma SD10 and SD9 bodies, which have a way better sensor than the
    > DSLRs of all other manufacturers. If you are set on Four Thirds, then
    > it would be best to wait for the Sigma Four Thirds body to ship because
    > the Oly models are essentially junk.

    Say no to GP and Sigma SD cameras. However, Sigma just might have an ace up
    their sleeve and might announce a new camera that could be worth looking at.
    On the other hand, GP seems to have a jackass up his sleeve.

    Charles Schuler, May 20, 2005
  10. Robert

    Tom Scales Guest

    "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    > "Robert" <1.net> wrote in
    >
    >> I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide
    >> between the Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly
    >> between the Evolt and the EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and
    >> the Canon has the CMOS. Back When I bought the C4040 I read that
    >> the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now. Any advice and
    >> comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be greatly
    >> appreciated.

    > Sigma will be announcing several new bodies before the end of the
    > summer so it might be better to wait. If you want to start shooting
    > with a DSLR immediately you can find really excellent deals on used
    > Sigma SD10 and SD9 bodies, which have a way better sensor than the
    > DSLRs of all other manufacturers. If you are set on Four Thirds, then
    > it would be best to wait for the Sigma Four Thirds body to ship because
    > the Oly models are essentially junk.

    Why wait? SD9 and SD10 are crap. Why would I believe that Sigma would
    introduce anything other than more expensive crap?

    Tom Scales, May 20, 2005
  11. Robert

    Frank ess Guest

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    >> "Robert" <1.net> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide
    >>> between the Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly
    >>> between the Evolt and the EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and
    >>> the Canon has the CMOS. Back When I bought the C4040 I read that
    >>> the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now. Any advice and
    >>> comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be greatly
    >>> appreciated.

    >> Sigma will be announcing several new bodies before the end of the
    >> summer so it might be better to wait. If you want to start shooting
    >> with a DSLR immediately you can find really excellent deals on used
    >> Sigma SD10 and SD9 bodies, which have a way better sensor than the
    >> DSLRs of all other manufacturers. If you are set on Four Thirds,
    >> then
    >> it would be best to wait for the Sigma Four Thirds body to ship
    >> because the Oly models are essentially junk.
    >>

    > Why wait? SD9 and SD10 are crap. Why would I believe that Sigma
    > would
    > introduce anything other than more expensive crap?

    Hope springs eternal in the savage breast?

    Frank ess, May 20, 2005
  12. Robert wrote:

    > I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide between
    > the Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly between the
    > Evolt and the EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and the Canon has
    > the CMOS. Back When I bought the C4040 I read that the CCD was the
    > way to go. I am not sure now. Any advice and comments between the
    > EOS 350D and the Evolt would be greatly appreciated.

    CMOS got its start as a cheap sensor technology not used in even decent
    consumer digicams; it was typically found in webcams. Canon's
    technology changed all that; it's arguably the best sensor technology
    available today, especially in terms of sensitivity.

    As others have said, if the money's not an issue, get the 20D. Superb
    camera. If money is tighter, I'd lean towards the 350D, and I'd also
    check out the Nikon D70 and D70s.

    --
    Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
    www.nurick.com | Web Applications - Hosting

    Albert Nurick, May 20, 2005
  13. Robert

    Stacey Guest

    Robert wrote:

    > Any advice and comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would
    > be greatly appreciated.

    My advice is to go somewhere that will let you shoot a couple of shots with
    both and have a couple of prints made on the spot (or take them home,
    you'll need 2 CF cards for that.) . I took my own CF cards to a local pro
    shop, shot with a 10D-20D, then did the same with the E1-E300.

    I then looked at the features both had, if they had good lenses avalible
    that would do what I needed and then tried to look at issues like which
    focus screen worked well manually focusing the lens for macro work, do I
    like the view I see looking through the finder, how I like the
    feel/handling of the camera and made my choice based on my own personal
    preferences rather than reading what someone else likes.

    There are also issues like which has a better kit lens (lenses?) if you're
    going to be stuck with that for a while, which has better high ISO
    performance if you need that, if you want to deal with cleaning the sensor
    (if you're not going to be changing lenses much that's not an issue at
    all), if you are going to be doing post processing (don't mind using noise
    reduction software) or need/want clean out of camera jpegs, will you be
    shooting RAW or Jpeg, do you need a spot meter or not, do you have lenses
    from an old system you want to use etc. These are choices -you- have to
    decide.

    Every camera has it's strong and weak points, you have to decide which ones
    are a problem and which aren't. If I was shooting nightclubs using avalible
    light instead of landscapes, that would have changed which camera I bought.

    In the end, one camera had a look to the 8X10 prints I made that =I=
    prefered and that was what made my choice easy.. Someone else might have
    liked the other better, that's why this is so subjective. IMHO it is the
    end results in print that matter most to me and what looks good to me. I'm
    sure you'll get mostly "buy what I did" from your question, I'm not going
    to do that mainly because you haven't said enough about what you'll use
    this camera for to even make a recomendation. Some people believe their
    camera choice is "The best" for anyone, I don't agree.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, May 21, 2005
  14. Well for the Evolt will have the best kit lenses by far and you cant
    beat the value for money with the two lens kit. The only draw back would
    be the price of the better Zuiko lenses. Well you get what you pay for.

    If you can afford the 20D then why not get the best you can afford.
    Problem is if you're on a budget you might get stuck with a nice camera
    but only afford crappy lower end Canon lens which now wont show off the
    20D capabilites.

    Yah buying digital cameras sucks but you need to decided what kidn fo
    photography you are going to be doing and then pick teh camera that is
    the best for you're style of shooting.

    A few months back I wanted to upgrade from my Canon D30 so I went with
    the Olympus E1 over the 20D. What won it for me was not the pixel count
    but how comfortable the camera felt and it offered options that no other
    camera had at its price range. The most important was the E1 being
    moisture/dust proof when used with the higher end Zuiko lenses and
    having a body made of magnesium.

    Anyways make sure you at least hold each camera and take some shots
    before you decide.

    Arek
    http://www.evolver.ca

    Future Assassin, May 21, 2005
  15. Robert

    Justin Thyme Guest

    >I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide between the
    > Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly between the Evolt and
    > the
    > EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and the Canon has the CMOS. Back When
    > bought the C4040 I read that the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now.
    > Any advice and comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be
    > greatly
    > appreciated.

    The 20D is not in the same category as the 300D or 350D or the E-300.
    Obviously comparing just these models the 20D is the much better camera. But
    it is also more expensive, and if that is an issue then the equation becomes
    a little blurred. The standard Canon kit lenses are truly awful, so for the
    same money as a 20D with it's kit lens, you could get a 300D or 350D with a
    half decent lens (From what I've seen, even the much maligned sigma lenses
    perform better than Canon's cheap lenses). Using a 20D (or even the 300 or
    350) with the kit lens is like using standard petrol and tyres with a
    Ferrari.
    I find the E-300 a bit of a quandary - it's kit lens is many orders of
    magnitude better than Canon kit lenses, it's build quality leaves the
    similar priced Canon's feeling like bits of plastic junk, but it is let down
    by a very noisy sensor and I found some of it's functions such as "hold the
    button down" exposure lock, and the lack of mirror lock up to be quite
    annoying. If you mainly shoot in daylight, and want to use it as an advanced
    P&S it is a great little camera - if you want to use it in low light
    situations or in tricky shooting situations it is a bit limited. The sensor
    cleaning function is fantastic however, and could tip the scales well away
    from any other models in this league.
    Why limit yourself to the models you listed? If you like the Olympus cameras
    and are looking at something in the same league as the 20D, the E-1 ships
    with an extremely good kit lens, and picture quality and camera features are
    miles ahead of the E-300 (despite the lower number of pixels). I'd prefer 5
    million excellent pixels over 8 million average pixels any day. The E1's
    build quality is 2nd to none, it is very rugged, can handle a bit of rain or
    snow, and won't need to be sent for sensor cleaning every couple of months.
    If you are looking at something in a similar price range to the
    E300/300D/350D, I think it's hard to go past the Pentax *istDS. Build
    quality and feel is miles ahead of the Canons - again makes the Canons feel
    like plastic pieces of junk. Pentax lenses are excellent, or alternatively
    (here in Australia at least) it is often bundled with Sigma lenses which are
    not great but significantly better than the cheap Canon offerings. The
    camera is compatible with the zillions of K-mount lenses around, plus you
    can use the old screw-mount lenses with adapters. This gives you access to a
    huge variety of lenses, new & used, at all price/quality levels including
    some of the finest lenses that have ever been made.
    Another alternative is the highly rated Nikon D70 - it is an excellent
    camera, and the 18-70 DX lens is excellent. It is a bit higher priced than
    the E300/300D/350D/istDS, but quite a bit lower than the 20D. Personally I
    think they are a little on the large and heavy side, but they do feel solid.

    Justin Thyme, May 21, 2005
  16. Robert

    Aza Guest

    "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message

    > "Robert" <1.net> wrote in message

    The standard Canon kit lenses are truly awful,<<

    They look and feel awful, admittedly, but the image quality of the 18-55mm
    is surprisingly good. As good as the kit lens shipped with the E300. I've
    took quite a few shots with both, and the Canon seemed equal - although, it
    might well have been the E300's in-camera processing that was limiting the
    lens.

    > I find the E-300 a bit of a quandary - it's kit lens is many orders of
    > magnitude better than Canon kit lenses, it's build quality leaves the
    > similar priced Canon's feeling like bits of plastic junk<

    Not really - the E300 is every bit as plastic as the 350D - and the card
    door on the E300 is a joke.

    but it is let down
    > by a very noisy sensor and I found some of it's functions such as "hold
    > the button down" exposure lock, and the lack of mirror lock up to be quite
    > annoying. <

    I think that mirror lock-up has been added via firmware upgrade

    If you mainly shoot in daylight, and want to use it as an advanced
    > P&S it is a great little camera <

    Agreed - it is best regarded as a good P&S

    > Why limit yourself to the models you listed? If you like the Olympus
    > cameras and are looking at something in the same league as the 20D, the
    > E-1 ships with an extremely good kit lens, and picture quality and camera
    > features are miles ahead of the E-300 (despite the lower number of
    > pixels)<<

    True - but, once again, the E1 is extremely noisy above 400 ISO (even above
    200, sometimes)

    I think that consumers are far less tolerant of noise than they use to be -
    thanks largely to Canon, who have shown what is possible in 'cheap' end of
    the market.

    > E300/300D/350D, I think it's hard to go past the Pentax *istDS. Build
    > quality and feel is miles ahead of the Canons<

    Why? - same plastic body, same plastic mirror mechanism.

    > Another alternative is the highly rated Nikon D70 - it is an excellent
    > camera, and the 18-70 DX lens is excellent. It is a bit higher priced than
    > the E300/300D/350D/istDS, but quite a bit lower than the 20D. Personally I
    > think they are a little on the large and heavy side, but they do feel
    > solid.

    The D70 is noisier than the Pentax - no question. Also, the feeling of
    solidity comes entirely from the kit lens - take the lens off the body and
    you are left with a very lightweight, cheap feeling, plastic shell.

    Aza, May 21, 2005
  17. "Aza" <> wrote in message news:...

    > "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Robert" <1.net> wrote in message

    > The standard Canon kit lenses are truly awful,<<
    >

    > They look and feel awful, admittedly, but the image quality of the 18-55mm
    > is surprisingly good.

    I keep reading this and I keep trying the 18-55 that came with my 300D and I
    keep putting it back in my bag swearing that I'll never use it again. It
    just plain sucks!!!! It's either out of focus or very soft. With that
    said I understand that there are two(?) versions of this lens so I may just
    have the cheaper crappy version, but I rarely use the lens and I'll be buy a
    good wide angle as soon as budget allows.

    --

    Rob

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., May 21, 2005
  18. Robert

    Aza Guest

    "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <> wrote in message
    > "Aza" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Robert" <1.net> wrote in message

    >> The standard Canon kit lenses are truly awful,<<
    >>

    >> They look and feel awful, admittedly, but the image quality of the
    >> 18-55mm is surprisingly good.

    > I keep reading this and I keep trying the 18-55 that came with my 300D and
    > I keep putting it back in my bag swearing that I'll never use it again.
    > It just plain sucks!!!! It's either out of focus or very soft. With
    > that said I understand that there are two(?) versions of this lens so I
    > may just have the cheaper crappy version, but I rarely use the lens and
    > I'll be buy a good wide angle as soon as budget allows.

    The only one I tried was the one bundled with the 350D. It is 'slightly'
    different, but is supposed to optically identical to the 18-55 that came
    with the 300D

    I didn't buy the camera in the end (for other reasons) but I've looked
    again at shots taken with the 350D lens and they're really quite good -
    noticeably more detailed than the Nikon D70 with the 18-70mm kit lenses, for
    example. Tiny writing on cans & bottles was far more legible with the Canon
    lens - whereas the Nikon 18-70 lost a lot of the individual lettering.

    I suppose that samples can vary. It certainly 'felt' a cheap 'and nasty
    lens, though. In the UK it seems to add about £50 to the cost of the 350D
    body - which is probably worth the money.

    Aza, May 21, 2005
  19. Robert

    Jim Waggener Guest

    > Another alternative is the highly rated Nikon D70 - it is an excellent
    > camera, and the 18-70 DX lens is excellent. It is a bit higher priced than
    > the E300/300D/350D/istDS, but quite a bit lower than the 20D. Personally I
    > think they are a little on the large and heavy side, but they do feel
    > solid.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Robert

    To start with you could get the 50mm 1.8 lens. Superb quality, very sharp,
    and cheap.
    This goes for Nikon's offering as well. A great lens to start with.

    Jim Waggener, May 21, 2005
  20. Robert

    Justin Thyme Guest

    "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message
    >> Another alternative is the highly rated Nikon D70 - it is an excellent
    >> camera, and the 18-70 DX lens is excellent. It is a bit higher priced
    >> than the E300/300D/350D/istDS, but quite a bit lower than the 20D.
    >> Personally I think they are a little on the large and heavy side, but
    >> they do feel solid.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Robert

    > To start with you could get the 50mm 1.8 lens. Superb quality, very sharp,
    > and cheap.
    > This goes for Nikon's offering as well. A great lens to start with.

    Or with the pentax he could get a 50/1.4 - well reknowned as one of the best
    lenses ever made. On a DSLR it becomes equivalent to a 75mm, which is a
    great length for portraits.

    Justin Thyme, May 21, 2005