    can I get 64 bit vista?

    What are the pros and cons

    and how do you get the 64 bit version as an upgrade?

    =?Utf-8?B?aG9tZXNjdWxwdG9y?=, May 8, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?aG9tZXNjdWxwdG9y?=

    XS11E Guest

    homesculptor <> wrote:

    > I bought a hp m7760n with a dual core e6400 2.13 chip
    >
    > the pc has a 32 bit vista
    >
    > can I get 64 bit vista?

    Yes.

    > What are the pros and cons

    Read and learn from previous posts in this newsgroup. Go to
    http://groups.google.com and enter the group name in the "Find a group"
    window, then start studying. Plan on spending a day or two AT LEAST!

    You might also consider getting a newsreader, the web interface your
    using is horrible. You can configure Outlook Express as a newsreader
    or look around for a better one.

    > and how do you get the 64 bit version as an upgrade?

    You can't upgrade your present 32 bit installation, you can do a clean
    install only.

    You'd be VERY wise to partition your hard drive and install the 32 bit
    OS on Drive C: and the 64 bit OS on Drive D: or whatever, and dual boot
    until such time as you decide the 64 bit OS will work for you.

    XS11E, May 8, 2007

  3. If your 32bit Vista is an OEM copy preinstalled by HP then you will have to
    purchase a retail copy of the Vista upgrade edition you wish to use. OEM
    copies do not come with the right to both the 32bit and 64bit dvd's. You
    need to determine what 64bit drivers are available from the HP website. You
    will not be able to perform and upgrade-in-place in migrating from 32bit to
    64bit Vista but an upgrade edition will detect that you have genuine Windows
    installed already and permit you to perform a custom installation. You will
    have to save your files and settings for restoration afterwards and
    reinstall all your apps.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 8, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?aG9tZXNjdWxwdG9y?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    homesculptor:
    Colin has the right information on the upgrade paths. Charlie Russel has an
    excellent white paper on upgrading to a 64-bit operating system at
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc.
    Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, May 9, 2007
  5. I'm believe your Windows Vista PID is good for both the x86 and x64 versions
    of a given SKU, but the OEM probably only sent you install media for the x86
    version. To get the x64 media, you can order it from:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

    --
    Chuck Walbourn
    SDE, XNA Developer Connection

    Chuck Walbourn [MSFT], May 10, 2007
  6. Chuck, the provision concering alternate media only applies to retail skus.
    As the page says in the first paragraph, "The retail package product ships
    on DVD with 32-bit edition software, but two forms of alternate media are
    available to help meet your specific requirements." The OEM editions do not
    qualify for alternate media.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 10, 2007
  7. So, would I have to buy the 64 bit DVD with a new product key to install the
    new 64 bit version for my laptop? I have 32 bit version of Vista on my Acer
    Aspire 5050 running a Turion64 chip. Thanks.
    --
    Linux Guru

    =?Utf-8?B?T3BwaWU=?=, May 26, 2007
  8. If the Vista on your laptop came preinstalled (OEM edition) then you do have
    to purchase a retail copy of Vista to get the 64bit version. If you
    purchased Vista seperately in a retail box you should have instructions in
    the box for obtaining the 64bit dvd for a nominal fee.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 26, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?aG9tZXNjdWxwdG9y?=

    XS11E Guest

    Oppie <> wrote:

    > So, would I have to buy the 64 bit DVD with a new product key to
    > install the new 64 bit version for my laptop? I have 32 bit
    > version of Vista on my Acer Aspire 5050 running a Turion64 chip.
    > Thanks.

    I'm guessing that the 32 bit version came pre-installed on your laptop
    when you purchased it, is that correct? If so, you might give Acer a
    call and ask them if they have some program to change to the 64 bit
    version, otherwise you'll have to buy the 64 bit version.

    Personally, I wouldn't spend extra money if everything is working as it
    should.

    XS11E, May 26, 2007