    for upgrading to a 64-bit version of either Home Premium or Ultimate. Any
    and all information would be appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Phosphonothioic, Feb 23, 2008

  2. Phosphonothioic

    Mark Guest

    Careful... you're liable to make some people go into frantic convulsions
    using the word "upgrade" and 64-bit in the same sentence.

    Basically, the conversion from 32-bit to 64-bit is a clean install.
    There are no "direct" paths to "upgrade" and MS made this one of the most
    difficult adventures out there unless you purchased the full version of
    Vista.
    Heed the phrase: "64-bit is not for everyone."

    Your current product key is good for both 32-bit and 64-bit, but you can
    only have one of the two installed with one key.

    Your worst option:
    Upgrading to Business or Ultimate down the road using Windows Anytime
    Upgrade.
    It will require you to install XP Pro, then 64-bit Home Premium, then
    Ultimate. (A real pain.)
    If you think you will ever move up to Ultimate, just buy it: Upgrade or
    Full version.
    I can tell you lots of stories on this if you really want to hear it.

    So, depending on whether you have a full version of Home Premium or an
    upgrade version:
    Upgrade disk:
    First you have to purchase the "alternate media" disk from MS for $7 -
    $10.
    You will have to wipe Vista HP from your hard drive, re-install XP Pro
    SP2 and then "upgrade" (clean install) Vista HP 64-bit.
    Note: XP Pro will not need to be activated, so it doesn't matter if
    you've "killed" the license at some point.

    Full version:
    First you have to purchase the "alternate media" disk from MS for $7 -
    $10.
    Then you can clean install Vista HP 64-bit.

    How to get the alternate media:
    Go to microsoft.com and type alternate media in the search box.
    Or go here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/2057/ordermedia/default.mspx

    Installation instructions:
    A good review of this article is important:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/

    While most will warn you that you should check that all your hardware is
    supported by x64, Vista is very robust in the area. The hard part is
    installation. Once installed, it runs better (IMO) than 32-bit.

    "Phosphonothioic" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Mark, Feb 23, 2008

  3. If you got Home Premium pre-installed on your computer, you have an OEM
    version, almost certainly. With OEM versions, you can't change from 32-bit
    to 64-bit without buying a whole new version. If you bought a retail copy of
    Vista, you can get the 64-bit DVD for a nominal fee directly from MS and
    install it.

    There is not "upgrade" path, however. You need to do a fresh, clean install.
    You can, however, use Windows Easy Transfer to preserve most of your current
    settings with the new installation.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 23, 2008
  4. I prefer the term "migration." Conversion is reminiscent of converting the
    filesystem.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 23, 2008
  5. Ok, thanks everyone! The 64-bit media content thing always confused me.
    The website made it sound like the CD simply contained 64-bit apps and not
    the actual 64-bit OS.

    Thanks once again, $7-$10 bucks is a heck of a lot cheaper than what I was
    imagining.
    Phosphonothioic, Feb 23, 2008
  6. Phosphonothioic

    Mark Guest

    Don't miss Charlie's comment!
    If you have OEM installed, you're stuck with buying the full version to get
    to 64-bit.

    "Phosphonothioic" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Mark, Feb 23, 2008
  7. Thankfully I build my own PCs and bought the Retail version.

    Thanks again!

    Phosphonothioic, Feb 23, 2008
  8. On a side-note:

    If I buy the Home Premium to Ultimate upgrade, can I do a clean install from
    the upgrade DVD of Ultimate 64-bit?
    Phosphonothioic, Feb 23, 2008
  9. Phosphonothioic

    Mark Guest

    See the instructions in my first response.

    If you go with an upgrade disk, you will have to install WinXP Pro or 2000
    to "upgrade", then insert the the 64-bit dvid and do a custom install.
    This is a clean install. Use the product key you get with the upgrade disk.

    "Phosphonothioic" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Mark, Feb 23, 2008
  10. So, there is no means of moving from 32-bit Home Premium to 64-bit Ultimate
    without buying a full retail version of Ultimate.

    That's really my goal here, I'd like to move up to 64-bit Ultimate. I just
    figured that, seeing as I own a retail copy of Home Premium, I could buy a
    DVD that would allow me to do a clean install of 64-bit Ultimate for less
    than it would cost me to buy a full retail version.

    If I'm reading your comments correctly, then you're saying the "upgrade"
    DVDs are only for people who are making a switch from XP/2000 to Vista. And
    the people who already own a version of Vista are left out in the cold?
    Seems peculiar to me, or it's quite possible that I'm just being really dense
    at the moment.

    Phosphonothioic, Feb 23, 2008
  11. Excellent move. Enjoy x64. The dvd comes in just a few days in spite of
    the disclaimer about weeks.

    "Phosphonothioic" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 23, 2008
  12. You have to buy the Ultimate license and use it with an x64 dvd.

    It is the product key which determines which edition gets installed and the
    dvd you use determines whether it is 32bit or 64bit.

    If you have an upgrade pk for Vista Ultimate and the 64bit dvd you can
    migrate from Vista Home Premium x86 to Vista Ultimate x64 at just the cost
    of the Vista Ultimate upgrade edition price.

    You will boot with the x64 dvd, enter the upgrade edition product key (which
    will tell the installer to look over the computer for another copy of
    Windows and then install Ultimate), and then choose Custom Install to
    complete the installation. In this case, Vista Setup will allow you to do a
    clean install if you prefer. The Disk Tools icon will be available since
    you booted with the dvd. It does NOT work the same way as it does when
    using the 32bit dvd. You will NOT be instructed to run Setup from the
    existing Windows desktop.

    "Phosphonothioic" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 23, 2008
  13. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Ultimate DVDs come with both the x86 and x64
    editions on the disk? You just only can use the version you have a license
    for. If that's the case, then I should be able to just buy the Home Premium
    to Ultimate upgrade DVD ($159 I think) .

    Or do you have to have the upgrade license and then purchase the x64 media
    just like like you would if you were going from HP x86 to x64 (an addition
    ~$10)?

    Thanks!

    Phosphonothioic, Feb 23, 2008
  14. Phosphonothioic

    Mark Guest

    Only if you buy the full version.
    Upgrades do not come with the x64 disk.

    "Phosphonothioic" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Mark, Feb 24, 2008
  15. Retail Ultimate comes with two dvd's. One is x86 and one is x64. For all
    other editions you get the x86 dvd and instructions for ordering the x64 dvd
    at shipping and handling cost for your region.

    All, and I mean all, retail Vista dvd's are the same. All x86 retail dvd's
    are the same and all x64 dvd's are the same. There are no upgrade dvd's for
    Vista like there are upgrade cd's with XP. The Vista product key alone
    makes the difference as to whether you have an upgrade edition or full.

    My recommendation is to buy the Vista Ultimate upgrade edition. Personally
    I don't like the Anytime Upgrade version because its license is only
    tranferable to one new machine. That's a one-time deal. I don't care for
    that limitation. The retail version is not limited as to the number of
    times it can be transferred to a new machine.

    "Phosphonothioic" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 24, 2008
  16. So, I buy the Ultimate upgrade edition (not the anytime upgrade)...

    What would I have to do from there to gain access to the 64-bit material?

    Sorry for being so dense on all of this, I just want to be absolutely sure
    I'm buying the right things so I don't end up wasting money.

    Phosphonothioic, Feb 24, 2008
  17. Boot with the 64bit dvd. The dvd's are clearly marked "32 bit Software" and
    "64 bit Software". A retail Ultimate upgrade edition box contains both
    dvd's. It's a perk of going with Ultimate that you don't have to send away
    for the x64 dvd. But even if you did have to order the x64 dvd it comes in
    less than a week.

    "Phosphonothioic" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 24, 2008
  18. And, at last, after much time invested, I understand. Gonna start looking
    for deals on the upgrade disk set now. Thanks a bunch to all involved!

    Phosphonothioic, Feb 24, 2008
  19. You're welcome.

    "Phosphonothioic" <> wrote in
    message news:...